g_man's Widowmaker #1 review

Get Ready For A Wild Ride

Marvel's super spies are being targeted. When Hawkeye gets a list including Mockingbird and Black Widow, is it a tip or a trap?

The Good

I was concerned and saddened when Hawkeye and Mockingbird was canceled. We do still have the same creative team here (and some of the same characters) so it's an easy transition. The issue starts out with a bang when we see a familiar looking costumed character doing some heavy duty killing. Hawkeye and Mockingbird are doing their best to work together to figure out what this mysterious list Hawkeye received is about. The two had a bit of a break up but with Mockingbird and Black Widow's name on the killing list, it's up to them and Mockingbird's WCA organization to get to the bottom of things.

Jim McCann and David Lopez rock out as they truly capture the mood and feel of this tale of espionage and assassination. Where Hawkeye and Mockingbird had a lighter feel, things are definitely darker and a bit colder here. This is a serious situation and they soon find they're up against a serious foe. Black Widow's portrayal, both visually and with her dialogue is spot on. You really get a sense of who she is along with her complex background. There also the cover by Jae Lee that is worth mentioning. I can appreciate his style (especially on the Dark Tower books) but I've felt at times they don't fit in. With Widowmaker, they are the cherry on top of the sundae.

The Bad

Nothing.

This book almost feels like it's taking place outside of the Marvel Universe. There is a serious tone here that pushes the book in a different direction from the Hawkeye and Mockingbird series. McCann and Lopez have taken the characters to a new playing field that was only hinted at before. Hawkeye, Mockingbird and Black Widow are up against a serious foe. This book is the perfect spy thriller/superhero combination. I only hope all the characters can survive this four-issue miniseries.
Posted by sora_thekey

I wonder what this mini-series will mean for the Hawkeye and Mockingbird duo.
Although the McCann continues his stories with a 4 issue mini-series, after that it's been announced that he will write another book about just Hawkeye. (I don't know if it's an ongoing or a mini)

Adding all that up, this seems like a pivotal mini when it comes to Clint and Bobbi's relationship. I'm glad to hear it's a good start to the story. McCann as always seems to come through!

Moderator
Posted by longbowhunter

Yet another solid issue by this creative team. I was a fan of Hawkeye & Mockingbird so picking this up was a must for me. After reading issue #1 I feel this book could rival Secret Avengers. Loving the spy superhero take on both titles. One of the weeks best books!!!

Online
Posted by Omertalvendetta
Posted by sora_thekey
@omertalvendetta said:
" @sora_thekey: Hawkeye: Blind Spot looks as if it will be a four part miniseries by McCann according to Comic Shop News. "
I hope the end of the that mini-series will bring back the Hawkeye and Mockingbird book!
*crosses fingers*
Moderator
Posted by Meteorite

Looking forwards to this issue so much! I just wish Hawkeye and Mockingbird hadn't been cancelled, it's been occurring pretty often in recent months.

Posted by Jake Fury

This book was really a lot of fun. I'm pumped for the rest of the series.
Posted by Sobe Cin

on a side note. The first issue of Hawkeye and Mockingbird was really great, it had captured the characters and brought the light tones that Hawkeye is known to have. But the story went too dark too fast. McCann changed Hawkeye from being Hawkeye into something unknown, and it was a brutal change. Granted I have not read widowmaker, but after cancelling H & M myself, I probably won't- and that is with the fact that Hawkeye is one of my all time favorite comic book characters.
Posted by WavyFLATLINE

Great review. I need to go pick this up instead of waiting for the trade like I usually do. Hawkeye and Mockingbird was my favorite book this year and I hate that it was canceled. At least we get this mini and another Hawkeye mini to follow. McCann has an excellent grasp for these characters so I hope he gets to write many more Hawkeye stories.
Posted by BoOMbOoMpOw

I really hope this mini-series comes out where I live

Posted by doublezeroduck

Just got this. It's amazing. Go get it!