englentine's What If? #1 - What if Spider-Man joined the Fantastic Four? review

From The Longbox What If #1

SUMMARY : In this issue we see Peter Parker in need of money. Just as he did in the first issue of Amazing Spiderman, he goes to the Fantastic Four to join, and hopes to earn a paycheck. We are then given an introduction to the Marvel Multiverse by the watcher, and told many Universes mirror ours and differ greatly, all because of one small difference. In this case instead of turning him down, the Fantastic Four agree to have him in the group. This actually becomes a problem, since Reed does not want to have Sue in danger he constantly tells Sue to stay behind. Feeling unwanted and useless she finds solace in the arms of the Sub-Mariner. STORY: The story was strong. Of course it takes a bit to get to, because we have to see the set up of the multiverse by the Watcher in the beginning. There is no reaL fANTASTIC fIVE SINCE Sue is left behind for all of the missions, and I doubt the large group would have concerned themselves with many of the Spiderman villains shown here. I did like the interactions with Sue and Namor. COVER : Well it is an attention grabber. We see The classic 4 symbol changed, and Spidey is wearing it, so immediately something is off. Otherwise it is a typical 1st issue team book cover. Interiors. I love the feel of the art in these classic books. It isn't great, but I felt a tinge of nostalgia re reading this. OVERALL: Very much worth the price of admission. Sure there are some flaws, but not enough to make this a bad book. A good start to the series, and it introduces us to the concept pretty quickly.