Follow

Watchmen

Team » Watchmen appears in 44 issues.

Watchmen is a twelve-issue comic book limited series created by writer Alan Moore, artist Dave Gibbons, and colorist John Higgins. The grouping of heroes and villains contained in the work are not, in fact, named "The Watchmen", though they were at one point referred to as "Crimebusters". Rorschach, Nite Owl and Dr. Manhattan were the team's primary heroes.

Watchmen Opening Credits Online

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Watchmen movie is reported to have made $25.1 million so far.  This is less than the $28.1 million that "300" made it's opening day.

If you're not one that saw the movie already, check out the opening credits.

Mr Mofo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mr Mofo

Very nice.  I enjoyed the movie.  Loved the use of Dylan here.

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

How dare they make me watch a crappy movie trailer before the actual video!!!!!!!!!!

I love LOVE love that the opening credits used Dylan, sooo cool.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#3  Edited By No_Name_

Yea I thought this really captured the essence of what the Minutemen were all about, and how they went from being these incredible hero's to truly flawed characters.

Avatar image for captain_cascader
    Captain Cascader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Captain Cascader

Definitely my fav part of the movie.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By No_Name_

I loved when Silhouette steals a kiss, making a parody of this famous picture

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

Silly but the sound track actually inspired me to buy 2 Jimi Hendrix albums, Are You Experienced and Electric Ladyland

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By No_Name_

No I actually downloaded "all along the watchtower" on itunes too, so I can relate.

Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Legacy_

I loved the movie just one thing confused me

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.
    BatgirlBabs said:
    "No I actually downloaded "all along the watchtower" on itunes too, so I can relate.
    "
    Yeah, they use Watchtower in a very significant part of BSG too, so now when I hear it it's super sci-fi evocative for me. Ha.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#10  Edited By gmanfromheck
    Red L.A.M.P. said:
    "Silly but the sound track actually inspired me to buy 2 Jimi Hendrix albums, Are You Experienced and Electric Ladyland
    "
    I'll bring in Hendrix's "Radio One" cd for ya on Monday.  It's some good 'live' stuff.  I've been really tempted to get the whole Watchmen soundtrack but I don't know if that'd be going a little too far.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By No_Name_
    Closure said:
    "I loved the movie just one thing confused me"
    what part?
    Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

After seeing that i just know im goign to enjoy this film...

the comic didnt sit well with me, but i think the film will

I adore the fact that the comedian killed JFK fits him so well...

and the song... it always makes me cry... it was played at my Gpas funeral..

Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Legacy_
    BatgirlBabs said:
    "Closure said:
    "I loved the movie just one thing confused me"
    what part?
    "

Ozymandias, what was his purpose for killing millions and saving billions, and why didn't they kill him, and what was Ozymandias plan?
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By No_Name_

This is actually what Doctor Fukuyama discusses in his book, "The End of History"

But you wouldn't read that unless you studied political science :P

Basically think of it this way: The whole reason why nations  go to war and have conflict is because there is a constant struggle between who has the most power. The Watchmen is set during the Cold War where the former USSR and the United States were constantly at a tug o' war in terms of power. "Cold War" means we were at war with them, but it wasn't a physical war, it was a nuclear push and pull to see who (what country) could gain the most ground on the global scale. At the time, these two countries were the only two with real nuclear warfare capabilities. In the real world, whoever has the ability to drop a nuke on another country has global power; it isn't about economics.

SPOILER

Ozymandias wanted to show the world that the only way to establish peace is to show the world how bad a nuclear war would be: how many lives it would destroy. His theory was that if he did this, and if he made the entire world suffer, that it was for the greater good and that no longer will anyone in the world ever want to experience that again. The way he did it was by blaming it on Dr. Manhattan. Ozymandias believed that in order to save the future, sacrifices needed to be made which is why he killed all those people. In the end, he was right: a great catastrophe wound up bringing them all together.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#15  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

That was awesome.

Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Legacy_
    BatgirlBabs said:
    "This is actually what Doctor Fukuyama discusses in his book, "The End of History"

But you wouldn't read that unless you studied political science :P

Basically think of it this way: The whole reason why nations  go to war and have conflict is because there is a constant struggle between who has the most power. The Watchmen is set during the Cold War where the former USSR and the United States were constantly at a tug o' war in terms of power. "Cold War" means we were at war with them, but it wasn't a physical war, it was a nuclear push and pull to see who (what country) could gain the most ground on the global scale. At the time, these two countries were the only two with real nuclear warfare capabilities. In the real world, whoever has the ability to drop a nuke on another country has global power; it isn't about economics.

Ozymandias wanted to show the world that the only way to establish peace is to show the world how bad a nuclear war would be: how many lives it would destroy. His theory was that if he did this, and if he made the entire world suffer, that it was for the greater good and that no longer will anyone in the world ever want to experience that again. The way he did it was by blaming it on Dr. Manhattan. Ozymandias believed that in order to save the future, sacrifices needed to be made which is why he killed all those people. In the end, he was right: a great catastrophe wound up bringing them all together.
    "
    It makes sense now

Thanks Babs

What was the problem with not killing him?

In the end it felt like Ozymandias was taken over the world in a way
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By No_Name_

I'm glad I could help with that, you're welcome.

Not killing who?

He wasn't taking over the world, he was saving it from itself. It was on the brink of nuclear war. I think he wanted to be able to regulate the damage instead of allowing the ego's of the two countries from making them kill each other completely.

Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Legacy_
    BatgirlBabs said:
    "I'm glad I could help with that, you're welcome.

Not killing who?

He wasn't taking over the world, he was saving it from itself. It was on the brink of nuclear war. I think he wanted to be able to regulate the damage instead of allowing the ego's of the two countries from making them kill each other completely.

"
    Nite-Owl, Silk Spectre II, Dr. Manhattan, and Roscarach (I spelled it wrong) didn't kill him

The book Roscarach wrote will expose Ozymandias?
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What i find odd... i have less of a problem of what Ozy did than what the Comedian did...

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By No_Name_

SPOILER

Sort of, which symbolizes that for Rorschache's cause, he didn't die in vain. However, Nite Owl and Rorschache were still on their way there (to Antarctica) and Rorschache hadn't written what the outcome was in his journal.

They did not kill Ozymandias because they believed that he was right, even if they disagreed with his methods. Even though they didn't agree with the way he blew up all those cities, the damage was already done, so they had to ask themselves, whats worse? Do we expose what happened here, and in turn undo all that had been done by Ozymandias (all those innocent people would have died in vain,)  or do we let the world go on believing it was Dr. Manhattan destroyed everything and as a result they continue to have world peace?

Ozymandias' intentions were ultimately good. The end was good, the means to his end were bad.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By The_Ghostshell

This might be the saddest movie opening ever.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By No_Name_
    .Mistress Redhead. said:
    "What i find odd... i have less of a problem of what Ozy did than what the Comedian did...
    "
    The comedian is a great character, when he isn't making you want to vomit.

He said it himself, he's the "all american man." He is a symbolic representation of what the entire premise of the film is about: he is out saving the world "from itself," but he is a flawed man who has little to no regard for women and children, and could ultimately care less about who dies. He's just doing his job, which is to "be a hero." Meanwhile his life is anything but "heroic."
    Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Legacy_

Roscharaches book will indeed expose Ozymandias?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I hated Comedian in the comic.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By No_Name_

SPOILER

Not sure because Rorschache discovered what happened after he had dropped the book off to the newspaper. Then he went to antarctica and then he ____.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a question about the movie. Is the scene with Rorshach and the Dogs in the movie?

.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BatgirlBabs said:
    ".Mistress Redhead. said:
    "What i find odd... i have less of a problem of what Ozy did than what the Comedian did...
    "

He said it himself, he's the "all american man." He is a symbolic representation of what the entire premise of the film is about: he is out saving the world "from itself," but he is a flawed man who has little to no regard for women and children, and could ultimately care less about who dies. He's just doing his job, which is to "be a hero." Meanwhile his life is anything but "heroic."
    "
    yep, its a good point.

LMAO i had to avoid two of your posts.. thanks for putting SPOILER for me!
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By No_Name_

The movie is almost exactly like the book. Sometimes word for word. That's all I will say.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BatgirlBabs said:
    "The movie is almost exactly like the book. Sometimes word for word. That's all I will say.
    "
    Nice. I wish I could see it myself.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By No_Name_

Have your parents go with you. There is some nudity but it is always symbolic. I think people too often look at the surface of something and forget that there is a deeper meaning, you really have to think about some things in order to understand the Watchmen. Afterall, it's Allen Moore.

If you read the comic, its no different.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By No_Name_
    .Mistress Redhead. said:
    "BatgirlBabs said:
    ".Mistress Redhead. said:
    "

"
    yep, its a good point.

"
    Sorry about that!

If you read the book though you should be fine.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BatgirlBabs said:
    "Have your parents go with you. There is some nudity but it is always symbolic. I think people too often look at the surface of something and forget that there is a deeper meaning, you really have to think about some things in order to understand the Watchmen. Afterall, it's Allen Moore.

If you read the comic, its no different.
    "
    I've tried to talk to them about it. They just don't seem understand it.
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BatgirlBabs said:
    yep, its a good point.

"
    Sorry about that!

If you read the book though you should be fine.
    "
    lol no no i was saying thank you for the big spoiler sign!

Ive read almost to the end.. and had the end told to me.
    Avatar image for twilightthunder
    TwilightThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#34  Edited By TwilightThunder

Hm. The Comedian was the ultimate character in my opinion, he became a parody of the society he had swore to defend, he knew there was nothing but this, he got used to the daily grind. Rorschach understood that, so he related to him. Even though he knew he was a flawed man, he was a patriot, Rorschach was a conservative cranky man, so he could easily relate to him.

Y'know, I LOVED Ozymandias (i liked him in the book as well) portrait in the movie, he looked "outta this world" With a David Bowie-esque behavior.

P.S Back on topic, THAT OPENING SEQUENCE IS A CONTEMPORARY CLASSIC!
    defunkt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By defunkt

I thought this film was a great portrayal of the comic.

SPOILER

Though, There were two scenes I did not like. The first scene I didn't like was when the knot-head thugs went to mug Dan and Laurie. In the comic they beat them up old school super hero style. In the film they Dan breaks a thug's arm and Laurie snaps a thug's neck. What? Did Dan and Laurie seem out of character to anyone else? Dan would never snap a citizen's arm like a twig even if it was a knot-head thug. I think that Nite Owl and Silk Spectre II let Ozymandias live because they realized that what had happened had already happened and murder would solve nothing. They let him live but I don't believe that they agreed with Ozymandais' methods.  To me, Nite Owl alway seemed like the most moral out of all the characters. He would never kill. He would never intentionally break someone's arm.

The second scene I didn't like was the disgustingly gory scene in the prison. In the comic the fat guy got his head stuck in the bars so his "friends" slit his throat to get him out of there so they could get at Rorschach. In the comic you don't see them actually slit his throat , you just see the blood splash on Rorschach. In the film though, the fat guy gets his hands stuck in the bar and they cut off his hands with a buzz saw. What? What was the point off showing his hands getting cut off with a buzz saw? I know Watchmen is a Zach Snyder film but changing that detail in the scene was gross and completely unnecessary.

I realize I'm  way too picky. Haha
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

that movie was awesome saw it the  night it was released however those idiots completely messed up the ending, which really pi**ed me off

Dr. Maxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37  Edited By Dr. Maxwell
    reaper2923 said:
    "that movie was awesome saw it the  night it was released however those idiots completely messed up the ending, which really pi**ed me off"
    True the ending was drastically changed, but I believe it makes alot more sense to the public than the original one. I can see alot of people being WTF? with the original one. The new ending kinda makes some sense I suppose, wasnt bad, but we've known for a while the ending was going to be different.
    Mr. B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mr. B
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Media_Master

I liked it, its worth seeing.

.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh damn the vid has gone... i was trying to show someone

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.