'Watchmen' Movie Part Deux? "Not A Chance!"

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

At least that's the rumor...

Between the rumors of a Watchmen graphic novel sequel and the hint of DC Entertainment's upcoming big announcement, it is only logical that we wonder whether the possible Watchmen sequel would be a film version. If you're like me, then you are probably muttering the words "please...don't...no."

Apparently, the original Watchmen contract with Fox indicated that initially, there had been plans for a sequel to the first film as well as an animated TV spinoff. Really? An animated TV spinoff of an R-rated superhero film that deals with really dense issues. Were they serious? However, the un-official word is that fans of the Watchmen won't have to worry--a sequel to the film is unlikely. At least for now.

Everyone's now speculating about a sequel to Zach Snyder's underperforming Watchmen movie from Warner Bros/20th Century Fox/Paramount, especially because there's contract language for that possibility. (No matter how impossible storywise.) But a well-placed insider tells me: "There is no truth to anything related to a movie sequel. Not a chance by a longshot. With regards to the comics, well, I guess anything is possible. I'll keep my opinion to myself as to whether it's a smart idea to do so."

This is not the first time that a sequel to the 'Watchmen' has been brought up as a possible reality, much to the dismay of director Zack Snyder and actor Patrick Wilson ( Nite Owl).

"It's all been talked about," laughed Wilson. "Financially, they like to do that. But all of us, [director] Zack [Snyder] included, all go, 'How on Earth could you do a sequel or prequel?'"

Unless of course, the sequel or prequel was based on a sequel written by Alan Moore. 

Even if you were not crazy about the 'Watchmen' film, you have to admit that it was good of the studio to choose a director that appreciated Alan Moore's vision, which you could obviously tell based on an interview with Snyder with the New York Times from last year.

Listen, they own the rights. If they wanted to go and hire some guy to make them a sequel to “Watchmen,” I don’t know that they would get any of those actors to do it, and I know that I wouldn’t have anything to do with it. But they own it. They can do whatever they want. They can make a movie – I’ve spoiled it, I think, a little bit. Do you leave that film going, “Man, I wonder what the next chapter is?”

Do you guys want to see a sequel to the Watchmen? What about a graphic novel? Do you think it would be a big seller, or do you feel that it would be an insult to Moore as well as fans of the book?
#1 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the movie
it was a visual masterpiece and had an amazing cast.

I was upset it didn't do too well at the box office. :(
But I'd like a sequel, I just don't know what could happen in it.

#2 Posted by Vortex13 (12223 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not that big a fan of watchman, movie or comic, I used to love the comic but not anymore. I just noticed a trend in Moore's work that put me off his stuff.

#3 Posted by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio

Growing up, there were some serious issues I had with the book. I loved quite a few of the characters and appreciated the overall feel and message of the story. However, the alien at the end, the sexist nature of the writing (there's a difference between sexist characters and a sexist writer) and a few things here and there really bugged me. The film, while it had flaws, improved the story in these areas and paid homage to most of the things that were great about the book. Fanboys who were pissy about the film baffle me. It was good. The only movie adaptations Moore has a right to be pissed about are Swamp Thing and LXG. V for Vendetta, From Hell, and Watchmen were all solid ADAPTATIONS of his work.

#4 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7592 posts) - - Show Bio

Im not a big fan ether really but even so, some things should just be left alone. No reason for a sequal in any format but as always those above think otherwise.

#5 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3549 posts) - - Show Bio

Some movies need to just stop and not try to force a sequel. The original was dark, gritty, and it made you think about the real lives of super heroes and how they work in the power of a political world. A sequel would feel too much like over thinking.

Animated, seriously? Well, an animated series with full male frontal nudity. Would it air on STARZ after Spartacus: Blood and Sand?

#6 Posted by Vortex13 (12223 posts) - - Show Bio
@cmaprice said:
" Growing up, there were some serious issues I had with the book. I loved quite a few of the characters and appreciated the overall feel and message of the story. However, the alien at the end, the sexist nature of the writing (there's a difference between sexist characters and a sexist writer) and a few things here and there really bugged me. The film, while it had flaws, improved the story in these areas and paid homage to most of the things that were great about the book. Fanboys who were pissy about the film baffle me. It was good. The only movie adaptations Moore has a right to be pissed about are Swamp Thing and LXG. V for Vendetta, From Hell, and Watchmen were all solid ADAPTATIONS of his work. "
You nailed my issue with Moore and his work on the head.
#7 Posted by m_man360 (106 posts) - - Show Bio

"It's all been talked about," laughed Wilson. "Financially, they like to do that. But all of us, [director] Zack [Snyder] included, all go, 'How on Earth could you do a sequel or prequel?'"

Bulls***, the minute this guy can't afford rent he probably will be first in line to direct this film.

I really hated Watchmen.....it's perhaps one of the worst films of all time. It was so colorful and don't get me started with the Batman Forever suits....major thumbs down.

I also used to like Watchmen but then I realise that it's all just some corny rubbish Concocted in a mad man’s head. I am generally starting to lose an interest in comics most especially one's that deal with politics such as Watchmen and the Authority. It is kind of getting old.

#8 Posted by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio

there was a role playing game base one the watchmen comic that took place before the books  

and the dlc game as well so ... 

maybe ?

#9 Posted by reaper2923 (2778 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's ask Michael Scott what he thinks 

I agree
#10 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@cmaprice: V for Vendetta was hardly similar to the comic, he has a right to be pissed about it, I'm not saying it wasn't a good movie, I loved it (just as I loved League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) but as far as being an adaption it was terrible 

Watchmen on the other hand was a great adaption, besides the alien part which is I thought of near the end but forgot by the time the movie was over, it was perfect 

and since it was such a great adaption, it makes no sense to ruin that now by making up crap, they already covered everything and did it perfectly, don't screw it up now
#11 Posted by m_man360 (106 posts) - - Show Bio

Fanboys just need to jump off a cliff and get it over and done with. They complain over everything...and they still go and see the god damn thing. Watchmen was a terrible thing compared to the likes of District 9, Avatar and Star Trek. But to the comic was much better and out ran moore’s messed up vision by a longshot. The ending was great because it is suitable instead of a gigantic bloomin creature ,that would just seem unrealistic. I tell you the comic and comic film industry unfortunately is dying, it’s only a few more years or so left before comics become fish and chips paper and Hollywood will find other ventures to adapt on. I don’t mean to sound like a D*** but that is the bitter truth.

#12 Posted by TheSavageAssasin (2761 posts) - - Show Bio

No!No sequel to the book or movie.I didn't like the movie anyways.

#13 Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

#14 Edited by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:

" @cmaprice: V for Vendetta was hardly similar to the comic, he has a right to be pissed about it, I'm not saying it wasn't a good movie, I loved it (just as I loved League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) but as far as being an adaption it was terrible  Watchmen on the other hand was a great adaption, besides the alien part which is I thought of near the end but forgot by the time the movie was over, it was perfect  and since it was such a great adaption, it makes no sense to ruin that now by making up crap, they already covered everything and did it perfectly, don't screw it up now "

The emphasis of adaptation in my post was to comment on how it wasn't a direct translation. It wasn't meant to be, and it was damned good. A more direct translation of V would have sucked on film. It just wouldn't translate.

I'm not in support of a sequel. Never said I was. I would be interested in some of the characters (maybe newly minted alternate reality versions) being used in more comics. There's a lot left to explore and they are great characters.

The alien was the worst part of the book. It made no sense and in my opinion betrayed one of the core concepts of the watchmen universe for me. Sending out psychic images, and teleporting a giant clit-squid creature into New York betrays the lack of outlandish supernatural elements. Manhattan is no longer so special in a world where all of that stuff can happen. The movie's ending was SO much better. It had a dramatic weight, sent destruction over the world (thus making it more likely other nations would unite) and giving the world a real, known, tangible enemy. Also emotionally involves personal stake for the characters. By far, the best change the movie made, for by far the worst element of the book.  

Also, getting rid of "for gods sake, cover yourself" made me sigh with relief.
#15 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio

If they make a sequel to Watchmen I'll fly to the DC offices and burn the place down.
#16 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

its good to know that no one involved really has interest or hope in a sequel.
then again strange stuff happens for money \
(see Tom Pinchuks post above and Dark Knight Returns 2)

#17 Posted by BaronVonDredd (250 posts) - - Show Bio

The world of Hollywood has already pissed on a fine work of art. Why bother making a sequel to it?????
#18 Posted by Sheep-Kill (617 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tom Pinchuk said:
"  
"
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy godddddddddddddddddd. 
Wow.  Okay um (just got back up from laughing) (pause) 
And that is why there will not be a part two.
#19 Posted by coolbeans (253 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved the Movie but you cant do a sequel it just wouldnt be right.  Maybe a real gritty animated series would be kinda cool just put it on Spike channel or something and give a warning for little kids not to watch it
#20 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

I sequel or prequel is a horrible idea! The only way I'd ever be down for one is if Moore wrote it and we know that we'll never happen so. NO GOD NO!

#21 Posted by War Killer (19992 posts) - - Show Bio
@AngelFrost said:
"I liked the movie it was a visual masterpiece and had an amazing cast.  I was upset it didn't do too well at the box office. :( But I'd like a sequel, I just don't know what could happen in it. "

I agree.
#22 Posted by Harlekin (680 posts) - - Show Bio

Liked the movie better than the book.

#23 Edited by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio

For the most part I liked the movie, though I had some issues with some of it, but I never expected a sequel. From what I understand, wasn’t the film a box office flop? That alone is a good indication that a film sequel’s just not going to happen. But to be honest, I just can’t see a sequel (book or film) being made or well-received in any way. Even if it’s relatively well written, based on just the concept of continuing I think will just inevitably feel so overindulgent and patented, which was everything Watchmen wasn’t.  Not to mention it'll certainly be sure to deliver some revelations that'll change the way we view aspects of the original novel. That's very touchy and can be just disastrous if done poorly. The Star Wars Prequels anyone?    

#24 Posted by Marshal Victory (677 posts) - - Show Bio
@MysterioMaximus said:
"

For the most part I liked the movie, though I had some issues with some of it, but I never expected a sequel. From what I understand, wasn’t the film a box office flop? That alone is a good indication that a film sequel’s just not going to happen. But to be honest, I just can’t see a sequel (book or film) being made or well-received in any way. Even if it’s relatively well written, based on just the concept of continuing I think will just inevitably feel so overindulgent and patented, which was everything Watchmen wasn’t.  Not to mention it'll certainly be sure to deliver some revelations that'll change the way we view aspects of the original novel. That's very touchy and can be just disastrous if done poorly. The Star Wars Prequels...anyway?    

"

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen_film#cite_note-mojo-1  
Budget $130 million
Gross revenue $185,248,060
   worldwidebox office total to $183,831,502    an it had a budge of $130 million    So it cleaded 53milion net box office not counting home media. 

Also those thinking of a secqual an prequal that was covered back in the day before dc pulled their usual tricks.see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen  Publication and reception section to get most of the story an the ideas the creatros were looking forward to if it done well.
#25 Posted by DeathDefyingDevil (722 posts) - - Show Bio

loved the movie. don't a sequel movie until they make a sequel comic and the sequel comic will be called : Watchmen 2: Rorschach Comes Back To Life And Kicks Dr Manhattan's Pansy (And Blue) Ass for Killing One Of The Coolest Comic Cook Characters Ever...... lol I hate Dr Manhattan he's a gay blue nudist  
Rorschach and Ozymandias on the other hand are total badasses  Nite Owl and Silk Spectre aren't that bad of characters either but Dr Manhattan on the other hand.... 
AND THE MOVIE WAS NOT A BOX OFFICE FLOP IT WAS A VISUAL MASTERPIECE AND AN AMAZING MOVIE!

#26 Posted by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio
@Marshal Victory said:
"@MysterioMaximus said:
"

For the most part I liked the movie, though I had some issues with some of it, but I never expected a sequel. From what I understand, wasn’t the film a box office flop? That alone is a good indication that a film sequel’s just not going to happen. But to be honest, I just can’t see a sequel (book or film) being made or well-received in any way. Even if it’s relatively well written, based on just the concept of continuing I think will just inevitably feel so overindulgent and patented, which was everything Watchmen wasn’t.  Not to mention it'll certainly be sure to deliver some revelations that'll change the way we view aspects of the original novel. That's very touchy and can be just disastrous if done poorly. The Star Wars Prequels...anyway?    

"

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen_film#cite_note-mojo-1  
Budget $130 million
Gross revenue $185,248,060
   worldwidebox office total to $183,831,502    an it had a budge of $130 million    So it cleaded 53milion net box office not counting home media. 

Also those thinking of a secqual an prequal that was covered back in the day before dc pulled their usual tricks.see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen  Publication and reception section to get most of the story an the ideas the creatros were looking forward to if it done well. "

Hmm! Now I'm no Box Office review expert, but I suppose you could consider this a simultaneous success and failure. When a film doesn’t make its money back, that’s (obviously) bad…Watchmen made back what it spent. But Watchmen hardly managed to pull that off and was expected to pull much big numbers if I recall correctly. So while it made profit, it hardly did, hence all the talk of it underperforming. Is that right? A lot of times movies make their money on DVD sales these days, so hopefully it picked up once it was released. I think a lot of it had to do with the general public. They expect superheroes to be action packed adventure stories, whereas Watchmen's far more character or psychologically driven. In many ways it’s an ethnics study filled with case profiles under the guise of comic book entertainment. It features a little bit of everything. Some people just refuse to look at superheroes as adult or even potentially quite intellectual caricatures. It's a stigma that we, as comic book fans, probably face regularly. I know I’ve come across the “Aren’t you a little old for Batman?” prejudice a few times. Poor word of mouth wounded this flick.

#27 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:
" @cmaprice: V for Vendetta was hardly similar to the comic, he has a right to be pissed about it, I'm not saying it wasn't a good movie, I loved it (just as I loved League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) but as far as being an adaption it was terrible  Watchmen on the other hand was a great adaption, besides the alien part which is I thought of near the end but forgot by the time the movie was over, it was perfect  and since it was such a great adaption, it makes no sense to ruin that now by making up crap, they already covered everything and did it perfectly, don't screw it up now "
nuff said
#28 Posted by Xion (247 posts) - - Show Bio

personally, I dont like the idea of a sequel. I hope they dont do it.

#29 Posted by sambow (27 posts) - - Show Bio

no i hated the movie

#30 Posted by MemnochZERO (146 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved the comic. Grew to love the film almost equally but differently.  
Would LOATH a comic or film sequel. I mean, when you have the FILMMAKER saying "no that's not gonna work", that should be an idication to bosses it's bad chicken.    
#31 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved the book and loved the movie. I think it's best to just leave Watchmen alone. No sequel or prequel to either the book or the movie. It's like saying Hey let's make a sequel To Kill A Mockingbird. You just don't do that.
#32 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

...........................................................I wouldn't mind a prequel book/movie.  It would be nice to see the past superheroes. 
#33 Posted by frogger (96 posts) - - Show Bio
@cmaprice:  The alien was the worst part of the book. It made no sense and in my opinion betrayed one of the core concepts of the watchmen universe for me.  

Actually the alien did make sense and did not "betrayed one of the core concepts" if we all lived during the the Cold War it actually make more sense. Why? Because during the cold war writers and film makers used the idea of an alien invasion as a metaphor for the real life paranoia  people expienced. Examples are  War of the Worlds adnd  Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I can't find the source but I remember hearing that US president ( maybe Ronald Reagan) said it would be  easier for the Cold War to end and world to unit if we were invaded Aliens. Its interesting stuff

sources
http://www.umich.edu/~umfandsf/film/promise/alien_life.html ,  
http://21stcenturyanalogboy.wordpress.com/2010/01/23/readers-advisory-alien-invasion-paranoia-literature-and-the-cold-war/    
#34 Posted by crazed_h3ro (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

The second movie is not happening any time soon,but the 2nd part of the comic is coming out soon. I really want to know how they are going to add to what happened in the comic

#35 Posted by themaskedhero (264 posts) - - Show Bio

While I would love to see the characters in a new setting, I think it would ruin the idea of Watchmen and would rather have something perfect and untouched than adding to the mythos and having a classic ruined.

#36 Edited by burr787 (2504 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't want a sequel but a OGN: character prequel could work considering we didn't really learn about anyone but Rorschach or Manhattan.

#37 Edited by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio
@frogger: 
A disembodied psychic brain was used to send out a telepathic shockwave full of images of an alien, as a genetically engineered monster "alien" was fused into New York city.

Sorry, that doesn't work in a world where Manhattan is the first and only real super being, perceived as a god.

And I DO remember the Cold War. 

But only New York was destroyed and there was nothing to suggest the alien had ATTACKED or that there were any real further direct threats to the Earth. Not enough to make the countries band together. Even then, without future developments, how long until the superpowers need to have real, tangible enemies again?

It doesn't make sense. It makes the Watchmen universe less believable. It doesn't place much personal stake for any of the characters apart from Adrian. It's not at all poetic, unlike the film's ending.
#38 Posted by Marshal Victory (677 posts) - - Show Bio
@MysterioMaximus:
It made 53million net .Thats profit.Thats not bad at all a returns.Avatar is a fluke an holly wood is beting its the 3d effect more so than the actual (odds are plagerized) thin plot.. 

Not checked total dvd sales ( really dont know where to look) but it should be pretty good with all the difrent editons an such.I own the ultamate cut an its not bad at all. 
 The movie tho had a logical problem.The ending deviation has a problem .I wount go into it less some one wants to know my take. But it was good to great moments up till the ending.
#39 Posted by Thor'sHammer (67 posts) - - Show Bio

If there is another Watchmen project, be it comic or movie, it must be a prequel.   

@Frogger: You are dead on with your Giant Space Squid analysis, I like to call it the Bird-Octopus but whatever.  
If you consider Watchmen as a whole, it encompasses all of comic book history and identity.  The pirate comic was an allusion to the western and horror genres, the two waves of super heroes represented the gold and silver ages and the bird-octopus was precisely a nod to the alien invasion movies and comics of the 50's, one can even argue that the noir style is also taken from the pages of 40's crime comics.  Watchmen is just this fabulous dark mirror held up to the history of the comic book industry upto 1985 and it has a definitive end and it must stay that way.

#40 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8895 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they have a sequel.
#41 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8895 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they have a sequel.
#42 Posted by NightFang (9904 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe a sequel to the book but not the movie.

#43 Edited by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio
@Marshal Victory said:

"@MysterioMaximus: I own the ultamate cut an its not bad at all.  The movie tho had a logical problem.The ending deviation has a problem .I wount go into it less some one wants to know my take. But it was good to great moments up till the ending. "

I'd be interested in hearing your take. =]
I myself had some beefs with the adaptation, particularly the (what I considered) rather odd musical cues like Flight of the Valkyrie put to massive Manhattan coming over the ridge in Vietnam. Some of the tracks they chose, for me, seemed very out of place and took me out of the film temporarily.  That was actually probably my biggest issue with the entire film, I’m kind of a movie soundtrack/score connoisseur. I much prefer an all orchestral score for all my movies, so when band or pop culture tracks are used I’m very selective. It can set such an atmosphere that it can truly make or break an entire scene. Sound and film composition is the criminally unappreciated side of cinema. Most people never notice it when it’s good, but if you played that very same scene without the score, it’s glaringly noticeable…and sometimes not nearly as quality. The music often sets the emotion of a scene more than really anything else.

My second biggest issue would be the gratuity. I'm not anti-gore when it's done with purpose, but I felt it took what was in the comic to this heightened (almost goofily over the top Tarantino satire) level. I just didn't feel it was needed. For example: Rorschach dealing with the child rapist and murderer was much classier and had way more merit (IMO) in the novel. When you just take a meat cleaver to the guys head, it kind of cheapens the whole thing. 

Also...I kind of miss the squid. I suppose I understand why they did it. At the same time though, I can't help but think the "It would've been too unrealistic" argument is kind of ridiculous considering this is still a world with people in capes and masks jumping off rooftops, a blue glowing battery God, and some nifty owl hovercraft. It's all relative. I suppose I’ll give them that it’s cornier then all that, but I can’t help but miss Steve the squid…my nickname for him. I cannot deny though that the film actually did find a way to alter the ending without ticking me off. In fact, it seemed to merge better then the novels ending.

Overall I consider these nitpicks though and enjoyed the film quite a bit.

#44 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the film very much.  If there was a secound i'd see it.  But i'd reather see a film about the "early" years..
#45 Edited by Postacrat (496 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally liked the film and schimmed through the novel.  I respect the work put into the story but the art in the Novel was never my flavor, it was a bit old school to me by the time I read it.  The film gave me a more modern view of it all which appealed to me more.  They picked characters that fit the role, and the fighting was entertaining.  I can't imagine what they would do for a sequel especially with Rorshach or Dr. Manhattan, because Night owl and silk spectre bore me.  I wouldn't mind seeing Ozymandias in action on something, he was nice in the film.  I'd say the first film was good enough for me to see anotherone, and if it's bad then it wouldn't be the first time if it even happens.
#46 Posted by jonasLighter (91 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember the days when Hollywood called comics "kiddy stuff". Now that they can make a dollar from them, they bombard us with crap like Daredevil, and Spiderman 3. Now they want to make a sequel to this film. Granted I hated the comic book back then(prefered the Dark Knight Returns), but I had some enjoyment from the film. How little Hollywood remembers of their screw ups with Swamp Thing 2, Superman 4, and Batman & Robin. They will make their money, and we will be without comic book movies for another decade or two. SCREW HOLLYWOOD WITH A RUSTY MEATHOOK!

#47 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio

This will be bad. Half of the characters from the original WATCHMEN wouldn't be in it unless it's a prequel.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.