Watchmen 2 Comic Project?

• 89 results
Posted by inferiorego (25483 posts) - - Show Bio
Bleeding Cool is reporting that there may be hope for more stories from the Watchmen Universe. 

In the wake of the movie, Watchmen became DC’s best selling comic book of all time. One might say partly because it had remained undiluted after all this time.

But there were moves. A Wizard splash showing DC’s Countdown multiverse had Rorschach as one of the combatants and it was rumoured one of the universes in the DC 52 Multiverse was intended to be the Watchmen world. Instead, Earth 4 became a world inspired by elements of Watchmen and the Charlton Heroes universe but with other aspects such as the laws of physics being altered.

So the stage is set, there is technically a world in the DC Multiverse that has elements from the Watchmen Universe. If this does happen, Moore and Gibbons have to be offered the work first, but if they refuse, then it seems DC has the right to hire whomever they please. Hopefully, with a major world such as the Watchmen U, they'd put their cream of the crop on the book. 

Both Jim Baike, Rich Veitch and Gene Ha/Zander Cannon are artists who have taken on writing chores on books previously written by Alan Moore, to continue the storyline. The most creatively-acceptable solution would be Dave Gibbons writing and drawing new Watchmen titles. But DiDio’s plans seem much larger than just one book.

So, this has happened before with Moore's work. He didn't want to continue, and other people picked up the slack. There seems to be a good chance we will see a Watchmen sequel, one sadly without Moore who doesn't seem to want to work with DC anymore. So what could this new project entail? Will we get a prequel, or a whole new story that takes place after the first book ends? (No Rorschach then) There are plenty of possibilities, and I'm sure many of you, like myself, are pretty skeptical about this endeavor.

~ Mat Elfring (InferiorEgo) is a comedian, teacher, comic store employee, comic book writer, and not enthused about Watchmen 2. ~ 
Staff
#1 Posted by Vortex13 (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not going to read it.

#2 Posted by War Killer (20249 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks interesting, keep us updated, 'ego.

#3 Edited by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest, I'd rather not see a sequel. Some things just aren’t meant to be shamelessly exploited like Star Wars. Watchmen loses some esteem when you market it out again and again. Sometimes it’s best to let something go.  It doesn’t read like something that either was intended for or needing a sequel.    

#4 Posted by TheSavageAssasin (2761 posts) - - Show Bio

Boo!No!Don't do!Most of the characters are dead!Well not really,but still this shouldn't be done!

#5 Posted by danhimself (22578 posts) - - Show Bio

I know this is like blasphemy but I didn't really enjoy Watchmen...I'm guessing that when it was first released that it was relevant but for me it just felt dated when I finally got around to reading it

#6 Posted by inferiorego (25483 posts) - - Show Bio
@MysterioMaximus said:
"

To be honest, I'd rather not see a sequel. Some things just aren’t meant to be shamelessly exploited like Star Wars. Watchmen loses some esteem when you market it out again and again. Sometimes it’s best to let something go.  It doesn’t read like something that either was intended for or need a sequel.    

"
I agree with you ever so much
Staff
#7 Posted by Niko (34 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be honest, I don't want it or want to see it, but I would read a Watchmen sequel just to see if it could even live up to the book.

Kinda weird though since the most popular character is kinda dead.

#8 Posted by sora_thekey (8176 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh!
#9 Posted by Xion (247 posts) - - Show Bio

They shouldn't do this at all

#10 Posted by NightFang (10074 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting.

#11 Posted by Silver Knight75 (1145 posts) - - Show Bio

I would probably only read it if Moore and Gibbons do it.

#12 Posted by Chamoi (36 posts) - - Show Bio

Epic Slap

#13 Posted by squiresmadnessmachine (303 posts) - - Show Bio

this should not happen!! just cuz it suddenly made a bunch of money they want to take advantage of that 
why cant the big buisness just let things be!!
#14 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

ha! prepare for another Moore rant!

also, this is an epicly terrible idea, I know there are some talented people out there who could make great stories, but Watchmen is supposed to be stand-alone, one-shot, type deal, it should be kept that way

#15 Posted by johnny_spam (2035 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see it happening.

#16 Posted by damswedon (499 posts) - - Show Bio

well since Alan Moore has said that he doesn't ever want to write comics ever again it is unlikely to see him in the writing spot.
who do you have in the story?

• Rorschach dead
  • The Comedian dead
  • Night Owl 1 dead
  • Silk Spectre 1 almost dead
  • Night Owl 2 on the run
  • Silk Spectre 2 on the run
  • Dr Manhattan in space
#17 Posted by TheBug (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

no
#18 Posted by Chane (539 posts) - - Show Bio

Leave it be

#19 Posted by Phantom Patriot (28 posts) - - Show Bio

I will ABSOLUTELY boycott this. And DC (if the terms call for it...)

#20 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

Moore's going to have a hissy fit.... with good reason. My answer is HELL NO.
#21 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#22 Posted by MemnochZERO (146 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't see Watchmen 2 being anything less than horrible. What makes Watchmen (the original work) so great is that it's a self contained story and has an end. Revisting it would be horrible, and having anyone not involved with the original try and make a prequel, sequel, or another story using the same characters is failsauce. If it's not Moore/Gibbons, all it is is fanfiction people want to be paid for.
#23 Posted by reaper2923 (2778 posts) - - Show Bio

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

#24 Posted by Sierra Comics Captain (46 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone calm down for a minute. Listen I know the obvious answer for this is well NOOOO! But listen maybe this might be good i mean maybe grant morrison or neil gaiman can write a watchmen sequel or prequel and dave gibbons cvan do the art. Come on give it a chance dont be a dick about it!
#25 Posted by inferiorego (25483 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sierra Comics Captain said:
" Everyone calm down for a minute. Listen I know the obvious answer for this is well NOOOO! But listen maybe this might be good i mean maybe grant morrison or neil gaiman can write a watchmen sequel or prequel and dave gibbons cvan do the art. Come on give it a chance dont be a dick about it! "
Usually, I'd be in the same boat with you, but for me, this is one of those books where it feels wrong to add on to it. It's a story that feels complete on it's own. But, I've been wrong before.
Staff
#26 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

don't care didn't like the Watchman (I must be the only one) 
#27 Posted by buns134 (318 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself:  me 2 dude
#28 Posted by m_man360 (106 posts) - - Show Bio

This is what will happen. Doctor Manhattan will re-teleport Rorschach to help on the investigation of the killing of Richard Nixon, it turns out that bush sr has nothing to do with the killing and that they could be a bigger operation going on. The gulf war has just begun and Nite Owl and Silk Spectre have decided to help out on the war effort in the dessert. They are called by agents to help out on the investigation, Veidt has nothing to do with it either. Until veidt dies suddenly. Now it’s a race against time to find out who did it before more people die. The comic will also have flashbacks of the comedian for all those that are missing him. The end result being that he was killed by Rorschacks father an assassin. Jon loses his power and becomes human again where he settles with Laurie, Dan commits suicide.

That’s it. If you don’t like it, please tell me what story could be better from your opinion. You have to admit that’s the best it could possibly get.

NUFF SAID.

And please all those that said that they won’t read it...pssh please, you will be there on opening day. And if you seriously won’t read it...good for you...you are probably going to download it.

#29 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

There's really no need for a sequel OR a prequel which seems to be the latest trend to do. I'd say leave Watchmen alone.
#30 Posted by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio

sounds good i guess ?

#31 Edited by burr787 (2504 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see how it matters. A sequel or prequel won't make Watchmen any better or worse than it was, and it will only impact Watchmen if you want it to. That and has anyone considered that it might actually be good? I would love A Rorschach prequel done by Morrison or Gaiman, A Nightowl story done by Johns, or a Silk Spectre story done by Simone............ I mean, WAAAAAAAAAAHHHH, WATCHMEN IS THE GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND! I'M BOYCOTTING THIS AND EVERYTHING ELSE THAT DC MAKES EVAR!!!

#32 Posted by TheHood (155 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm curious who this is being marketed to. Its pretty clear from the comments here (and I agree, by the way) that the main comic book reading public doesn't want a sequel. So that just leaves people who were introduced to the Watchmen from the movie, but I doubt they pay attention to what comic books are coming out. This seems like something that would fail to sell.
#33 Posted by m_man360 (106 posts) - - Show Bio

Well the comic fans can cry all they want...it's all about money..and the execs are going to make this. The comic industry is dying unfortunatly and by comic fans not going to buy it they would be screwing themselves..so that's they're problem.

#34 Posted by HaloKing343 (1252 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't want this to happen.

#35 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

Who would even buy this book? I honestly have no interest in more stories with these characters, even if it was written by Moore.

#36 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

Moore must be so pissed he will conjure up Satan on their asses

#37 Posted by Bearded Justice (751 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to see the original Watchmen characters in something.  (Blue Beetle, Question, etc.)  Yeah, I know they did that in LAW, but it wasn't enough.
#38 Posted by glforthewin (2355 posts) - - Show Bio

why make a sequel? remember transformers 2?

#39 Posted by Overguardian (88 posts) - - Show Bio
@damswedon: He doesn't want to write ANY comics or just Watchmen???? 
What about LOEG: Century?
#40 Posted by CaptObtuse (44 posts) - - Show Bio

Most comics are open ended serial fiction.  They just go on and on and on and on.  Watchmen, among a limited few, is a self-contained, stand-alone story.  It has a beginning, middle, and end.  It doesn't call for a sequel, and it just sounds like a really lame idea.  Put the time and energy into something new and creative instead of standing on the shoulders of one of the greats in the history of the medium who would prefer his revered work not be polluted by artificially and forcibly extending it.

#41 Posted by daveydavey (359 posts) - - Show Bio

BOOOOO
#42 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

doing it way too late if not anything else.

#43 Posted by Thespirit (120 posts) - - Show Bio

safe to say no one that can say they respect Alan Moore will ever read this.

#44 Posted by AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge (1221 posts) - - Show Bio

After over 20 years...BOOK 2? I hope fans are not going to be disappointed after changes in the film.

#45 Posted by The Psyentist (17734 posts) - - Show Bio

Please, no. Why would this be allowed to happen? This just feels all wrong.

#46 Posted by crazed_h3ro (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait,wait...can they even do that? I mean Rorschach is dead,Dr.Mannhatten is doing his "trick the world that he is the enemy" I just don't know what they are going to do after that,that is a hard act to follow up.

#47 Posted by EisforExtinction (1909 posts) - - Show Bio

The io9 pegs it all on Dan Didio. I can't see him doing that.

#48 Posted by ArtJoker (521 posts) - - Show Bio
DO NOT LIKE!
#49 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@crazed h3ro said:
" Wait,wait...can they even do that? I mean Rorschach is dead,Dr.Mannhatten is doing his "trick the world that he is the enemy" "
Actually, in the comic, Dr. Manhattan doesn't take the blame.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.