Follow

Watchmen

Team » Watchmen appears in 44 issues.

Watchmen is a twelve-issue comic book limited series created by writer Alan Moore, artist Dave Gibbons, and colorist John Higgins. The grouping of heroes and villains contained in the work are not, in fact, named "The Watchmen", though they were at one point referred to as "Crimebusters". Rorschach, Nite Owl and Dr. Manhattan were the team's primary heroes.

Did Watchmen Have A Successful Weekend?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    Just when you thought you were safe from seeing more "Watchmen" news, here's some more.  Let's talk about the opening box office sales.  I mentioned that it made $4.6 million in the Thursday midnight showing.  How did it do overall?

"Watchmen" made $55.6 million.  Not as much as "300."  "300" made $70.9 million its opening weekend.  How are the two movies different?  Did the 'superhero' marketing turn off some movie goers?  Did the constant bombardment in the news and media over Watchmen make some cringe at the thought of seeing the movie?  Did people not want to sit in a theater for close to three hours?  Did the reviews stating you had to read the book first make people change their minds?

Apparently this makes it the 12th highest opening weekend for a comic book movie.  It's also the 6th highest grossing opening for an R-rated movie.  The movie cost $120 million to make (and then there's all the court fees and the small percentage Fox gets).  Is that good enough?

The real question is how will it do it's second weekend?  Will it continue to sell tickets or are the sales going to drop like Dr. Manhattan's pants?
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Media_Master

I hope it does well, but the constant advertising doesn't help anyone.

Avatar image for twilightthunder
    TwilightThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#2  Edited By TwilightThunder

As good as it gets... Truth be told. It's an R-Rated flick and it's close to the 3 hours mark, so showtimes are not that "massive". 300 was, like, 1.30 hours long, right? So it is probably not that surprising... I wanted the movie to be a huge success but it'll be an uphill struggle.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By xerox_kitty

The general non-comic reading public don't know what it is.  They just hear the words 'Super Heroes' and don't understand what it's really about.  The guys at work had no idea what it was, so I had to sell it to them... now they want to see it, but I have a horrible feeling they'll download a pirate version instead :(

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

I wonder, did 300 get alot more tv commercial time than Watchmen did?  I feel like everything I head about Watchmen was solely on the internet.  So did they only market to the nerds who care to see it anyway?

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

I'll venture a guess that the 2hr 40 minute length hindered the ticket sales some.against 300's 2 hour length, both mathematically thats probably one less screening a theater can do in a day plus it might turn people off from seeing it. I know the theater I saw it at was sold out every time-slot of the day on Saturday, we had to watch the 12:30am showing and that sold out too.

Marketing-wise I had a couple friends that had never heard of it until I called their attention to it, which tells me marketing sucked. I was seeing commercials all over the place but maybe just my demographic got covered. If you watched comedy central in the last two weeks, you saw a Watchmen commercial.

Still 55 million is pretty damn solid for March. The question is if it will sustain because word of mouth is definitely mixed.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Methos

you've also got to add in the financial climate at the moment as well...

when 300 was released, people, to put it blankly, had more disposable income than they do currently...

you just have to weigh it up, is it work the £8 or whatever to go and see a movie, or could you use that money somewhere else at the moment?

sadly it's a fact that the current, and i hate to use the words, credit crunch, has affected a lot of things, the movies i'm guessing are suffering from this financial slump just as much as every other industry

M

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gmanfromheck

I did keep seeing the ads on the side of buses...people should've known about it.  I kept seeing commercials on FOX too, ironicly.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Thats definitely true, my ticket cost a whopping 16 bucks. 48 bucks for 3 of us to go, plus the fandango convenience charge, plus the 5 dollar small popcorns, cost money to park. Thats pretty much unjustifiable if you're on a tight budget or underemployed these days.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Methos

exactly, so i think that will make a huge difference to how the ticket sales are in comparison to a few years ago....

M

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By pixelized
    TwilightThunder said:
    "As good as it gets... Truth be told. It's an R-Rated flick and it's close to the 3 hours mark, so showtimes are not that "massive". 300 was, like, 1.30 hours long, right? So it is probably not that surprising... I wanted the movie to be a huge success but it'll be an uphill struggle."
    Near 3 hours? turn off
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gmanfromheck
    Shatterstar said:
    "Thats definitely true, my ticket cost a whopping 16 bucks. 48 bucks for 3 of us to go, plus the fandango convenience charge, plus the 5 dollar small popcorns, cost money to park. Thats pretty much unjustifiable if you're on a tight budget or underemployed these days.
    "
    Glad I didn't have to pay then...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.