Follow

Watchmen

Team » Watchmen appears in 44 issues.

Watchmen is a twelve-issue comic book limited series created by writer Alan Moore, artist Dave Gibbons, and colorist John Higgins. The grouping of heroes and villains contained in the work are not, in fact, named "The Watchmen", though they were at one point referred to as "Crimebusters". Rorschach, Nite Owl and Dr. Manhattan were the team's primary heroes.

Comic Vine's Watchmen Review

Avatar image for marshall_madness
    Marshall Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I agree you should probably read it before you see it. But it was very good. I have only two complaints. One, They should not have changed the way Rorschach killed the child killer. The butcher's cleaver to the face was in no way as cool as the handcuffing and setting the place on fire while giving the killer a hacksaw and telling him not to bother with the cuffs he didn't have enough time. It was just better in the comic and I saw no good reason to change it. Two, the way they handled Bubastis. He just showed up at the end with no more explanation then a quick mention of Adrian's company doing genetic manipulation earlier. My wife was like, "what the hell is that?". IMO they could have done this better in one of 3 ways. One, introduced him earlier and given a bit more explanation. Two, left him out completely. Or Three, just made him like a regular white tiger or something that you saw earlier with Adrian as a pet. I also agree this one is NOT for the kiddies! A couple in front of us brought their daughter and she couldn't have been more than 6 yrs old. It almost kinda ruined the movie for me. I wanted to be like, "I hope the money you saved on a babysitter is gonna cover all those therapy sessions that kid's gonna need in a few years." But overall, a great job and a beautiful translation from book to film! TWO THUMBS UP!

voske44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202  Edited By voske44

watched it and i thought it nailed the comic but the guy next to me didn't liked it but what the hell he was more ito rocky movie( uncompareable)

copymanrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203  Edited By copymanrules

i saw the movie, it was so gooooood, finally a movie how hero movies should follow, it had it until they blew up themselves up to make peace ..........what the hell just like that wheres the justice after that just give up and fly off into space disappear anyway i hope this doesnt happen for real just to have peace.

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#204  Edited By Slinger

Just a friendly reminder to people: Please put in a spoiler warning if you're gonna post about a detail in the movie. Some people still have not read the book or seen the film yet, and are using this thread to decide if they want to.

Avatar image for _lady_rorschach_
    Lady Rorschach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved that movie. I think it's better than the Dark Knight: it's less boring in some ways. I mean, the interesting scenes were the ones with the Joker, rest his soul, he did a great job. I especially liked  the choice of music, Unforgettablefit perfectly with the killing scene.
    And I simply LOVED Haley's performance.

Avatar image for _lady_rorschach_
    Lady Rorschach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved that movie. I think it's better than the Dark Knight: it's less boring in some ways. I mean, the interesting scenes were the ones with the Joker, rest his soul, he did a great job. I especially liked  the choice of music, Unforgettablefit perfectly with the killing scene.
    And I simply LOVED Haley's performance.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#207  Edited By Korg
    **Spoilers**
    I was amazed at how let down I was by this movie, despite going in with low expectations. I got the distinct feeling that an actor was delivering lines any time Comedian or Rorschach wasn't saying them. However, Jackie Earle Haley doing his very best Clint Eastwood impression throughout the movie got to me after a while.

On the whole, I don't think any of the characters were done justice. There was waaay too much emphasis on special effects, and not enough on...um, you know - acting. It was way too clear from the moment of his introduction that Adrian was the villain. He dressed all in black and had an all black office. His treatment of the energy tycoons was also a dead giveaway. Hell, even the sex scene between Nite Owl and Silk Spectre II (Malin Akerman is smokin... but not literally) was completely sabotaged by a horrible rendition of "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen.  The decision to insert or drastically increase violence where there was none in the book, and omit violence where it had its place in the book also threw me.

Lastly, I'm dismayed and severely disappointed with the ending they chose. It lacked originality, and pulled me out of the story completely. I wish Zack Snyder had had a co-director or something, because this was clearly too much for him to handle solo, IMO. As someone else said before me, the opening credit sequence was easily the best part of the movie. Their DoP was amazing. 
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#208  Edited By gmanfromheck

This weekend could really determine how "successful" the movie is.  So if you haven't seen it, maybe you could go and take some friends.  Or even see it again.  If you didn't like it, "Escape To Witch Mountain" is opening.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#209  Edited By Korg

Despite my feelings on the matter, I will definitely be sending my friends to see this because they don't read comics, and it's a damn good action flick if you're not a stickler like myself.

DP812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#210  Edited By DP812

"I think I mentioned that I have great respect for "Watchmen" but I don't follow the hype that it has to be the greatest comic of all time."

You can't really say whether or not Watchmen is the greatest comic book of all time, because there are so many different genres, styles and opinions that it's impossible to determine.

What's more accurate is that Watchmen is perhaps the most influential comic book of all time. The things Moore and Gibbons did in that book were simply never done before. The modern comic book would not exist in its current form without Watchmen. Just as modern film would not exist in its current form without Citizen Kane.

I enjoyed the film. I had low expectations because, to be frank, I did not think Snyder could pull it off. The Dawn of the Dead remake was decent at best and 300 was one of the biggest pieces of crap I have ever seen. And the film had problems, like the action sequences. But overall, Snyder and the cast and crew did a good job.

I definitely wouldn't call it the best comic book film ever, though. For me, The Crow has held that distinction for over a decade.

Avatar image for masterofreality71
    MasterOfReality71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do too believe it is worthy of a 5 out of 5.  I feel it is better than The Dark Knight.  It really feels like a comic book.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.