Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    Frustrated confederate veteran John Carter struggles to find his destiny in the wake of the civil war while his future alien allies thwart corruption on Mars.

The Good

This is another classy Dynamite title that infuses classic heroes with dignity while still embracing their less-than-savory traits. In this case, it's John Carter's trigger happy nature - - that is, an indomitable will that has no place in post-war society, but will surely prove to be supremely necessary in the extraterrestrial adventures to follow. Given how often these older tales can be bowdlerized or otherwise softened, I was glad that this issue didn't shy away from any brutality.

The Bad

I suspect this might've benefited from taking a little more creative license from the source material. The design of the green martians and the pace of the plot is likely quite faithful to the books, but the former looks unavoidably dated to modern tastes and the later leaves us with a rather slowly paced first issue that doesn't end with that strong of a cliffhanger.

The Verdict - 3.5/5

Shamed as I am to admit, I've never actually gotten the chance to read the classic Edgard Rice Burroughs stories that this is adapting. My exposure to the character and his mythos is limited to martian war that started off the second volume of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I'm sure this wi'll be just as strong as the Lone Ranger and Green Hornets books have been - - I just wished they'd cut to the chase a little sooner.
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Holy crap! What universe was i in when they decided to revive Carter.
    That ones going on the backlist!

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By tonis
    @CATMANEXE said:
    " Holy crap! What universe was i in when they decided to revive Carter. That ones going on the backlist! "
    I believe there's a movie in the works as well. Which I really hope my full set from the 1977 Marvel series will benefit from.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3  Edited By jakob187

I had the same problem with the first issue of The Last Phantom.  It felt like too much setup and not enough Phantom-ness.  The second issue was quite better.  It seems to be the trend on these Dynamite books. 

I'll probably check this out once a few more issues come out.  Solid review. 

Also, I haven't been reading The Lone Ranger.  Is that seriously pretty good?

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always found the belief that the Jedi mind trick could work in real life to be a little silly but...

@tonis said:

" my full set from the 1977 Marvel . "

*waves fingers*
    You want to give your comics to CATMAN at no charge.
    tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By tonis
    @CATMANEXE said:
    " I've always found the belief that the Jedi mind trick could work in real life to be a little silly but...

@tonis said:
    " my full set from the 1977 Marvel . "
    *waves fingers* You want to give your comics to CATMAN at no charge. "
    if you were to come at my comics I would not charge you with too much force, howz that :)
    Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

I've read the original book and enjoyed it, so I'm eager to get a look at this comic.

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Pizawle

I looked it over several times in the shop and decided that even at one dollar, I did not want it.

Illuminarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Illuminarch

Dejah Thoris is wearing clothes on the cover?! Unacceptable.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.