Follow

War of Kings

Story arc »

After the events of Secret Invasion, the Inhumans claim the leadership of the Kree, bringing them into conflict with a Shi'Ar Empire ruled by Vulcan.

Who Will Rule? SPOILERS!

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Martian
    caption

Guardian of the Galaxy

T

Thoughts?
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By warlock360

either photoshopped bogus, or Vulcan is the secret leader of the church of truth... (which would be total BS)

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Martian
    Voidheart said:
    "either photoshopped bogus, or Vulcan is the secret leader of the church of truth... (which would be total BS)
    "
    No photoshop, I got it from Marvel.com
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By warlock360

ohh... still... i wanna know whats going to happen in Gotg... the church of truth was created by the magus and now it kinda reapeared in Gotg with almost unstoppable beings. And at the end of the panel they found a cocoon and it wasn't adam, so that might be the magus and to the question who will rule, it would probably be him because he did it before..

Although adam warlock altered reality so that it never happened... but now its there again...

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By warlock360

sorry if that kinda caught you off guard :P

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Martian
    Starjammers
    Starjammers
    Nova
    Nova
    Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#7  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Don't know what this is, but I like it. This is the only time I've ever cared about cosmic Marvel. Have any more info on it other than these images?

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Martian

Nope, this is all they have given us so far.

Noh-Varr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Noh-Varr

I just don't know who to pull for....this looks likes the next chapter after Annihilation.

My guess is that there fighting for....the....universe?

I'm pumped.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By warlock360

Okay i know what its about now, Havoc was trapped in a moon underground because of Vulcan (Have no clue what issue that was sorry) and now Vulcan is trying to expand his empire, so im guessing this is gonna be something like the infinity gauntlet saga (hint hint)

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Martian
    Inhumans
    Inhumans
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By warlock360

lol why does BB remind me of a rubber doll...

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Nighthunter

McCann talked about the "Who will rule?" teasers which have circulated online, and Quesada announced that the images are leading up to a storyline called "War of Kings."

Lowe talked about Vulcan's role in "War of Kings," saying "We've got something coming up at the end of this year with Vulcan that Chris Yost has a very big hand in," saying you'll also see Havok, Polaris and Marvel Girl.

Polask discussed Black Bolt's role in "War of Kings," saying that "we're going to see a different side of the Inhumans," and that Black Bolt will be "pretty pissed off."

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Martian
    Nighthunter said:
    "McCann talked about the "Who will rule?" teasers which have circulated online, and Quesada announced that the images are leading up to a storyline called "War of Kings."

Lowe talked about Vulcan's role in "War of Kings," saying "We've got something coming up at the end of this year with Vulcan that Chris Yost has a very big hand in," saying you'll also see Havok, Polaris and Marvel Girl.

Polask discussed Black Bolt's role in "War of Kings," saying that "we're going to see a different side of the Inhumans," and that Black Bolt will be "pretty pissed off.""
    Sweet!
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Martian

War of Kings

War of Kings

By Ben Morse

When kings collide, the galaxy will tremble.

That's the forecast the cosmic cabal of writers Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning and editor of Bill Rosemann have given for War of Kings, a major Marvel outer space spectacular building through the remainder of this year and exploding in 2009. Tying together elements from major events including Secret Invasion and Ed Brubaker's work on UNCANNY X-MEN, "War of Kings" promises upheaval through the cosmos that will make even Abnett and Lanning's previous tour de force in ANNIHILATION: CONQUEST seem like an interstellar picnic.

"Expect to see familiar faces that Dan and Andy—aka DnA—are closely associated with as well as a whole new set of toys that they can smash together," guarantees an enthusiastic Rosemann. "Readers know that DnA are modern masters of the sci-fi saga, and now they get to cut loose with a much larger list of ingredients."

"We are definitely trying to expand and build upon what has gone before," embellishes Lanning in reference to the game plan for this epic. "The events in War of Kings will develop directly from Secret Invasion and will bring a lot of cosmic characters and races into action. Who they are and how they react to what's occurring will very much tie in to where they have been left after all the previous stories."

At the heart of War of Kings will be Vulcan, the current emperor of the Shi'ar and the spark set to potentially ignite universal chaos. Introduced by Brubaker as the third Summers brother, sibling to the X-Men's Cyclops and Havok, when last we left Vulcan he had solidified claim to his throne in X-Men: EMPEROR VULCAN limited series written by Chris Yost and seemed set to pursue bigger and bloodier conquests.

"Vulcan's a complicated guy with a seriously screwed up personal history," notes Abnett. "[He's] not the most stable of leaders and [now the Shi'ar] are aggressively expanding their empire. This will put them at loggerheads with the universe around them and will certainly color their response to any potential [obstacles] that might come their way."

Those obstacles will include Havok and his team of Starjammers, including fellow X-Men alumni Polaris and Marvel Girl, though both editor and writing team declined comment on how the middle Summers brother would pose a threat from within the prison he found himself confided to following EMPEROR VULCAN. They would, however, enthusiastically discuss the most surprising wild cards involved in "War of Kings," the Inhumans:

"The Inhumans have a special place in the Marvel Universe, but they don't really know their place in the human world," explains Abnett. "They're weird. They're wonderful. They are the perennial outcasts. The outsiders. They live in a fabulously alien city with a bizarre caste society and an even stranger Royal Family. That could me why [Andy and myself], as Brits, find them so endearing: they remind us of our own wacky royals!"

At the moment, the Inhumans have their own troubles to deal with in SECRET INVASION: INHUMANS, having just learned their deposed leader, Black Bolt, has been kidnapped and replaced by the Skrulls. Rosemann vows that the limited series—written by Joe Pokaski with art by Tom Raney with  first issue hitting on Augest 13—will have huge ramifications on War of Kings as it pertains to the role of the Inhumans:

"The Inhumans' former king was kidnapped, possibly killed, and replaced by a hated enemy. What kind of a mood do you think they're going to be in?"

"They're mad as hell and they aren't going to take it anymore," tacks on Lanning.

And how will all this impending warfare affect the cosmic protectors DnA write about monthly in the NOVA and GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY series, which the writers assure will tie into War of Kings in "easily digestible, bite-sized portions"?

"Here's a rock, here's a hard place—now choose," posits Lanning devilishly.

As far as weather to expect Ronan, Super-Skrull, Wraith, and the rest of DnA's extended cosmic cast, the writers remark simply that "War of Kings is a cosmic-wide event that will have ramifications felt throughout the Marvel cosmos."

In other words, get a telescope and throw on some heavy duty shades and ponder this final ominous question courtesy of Rosemann:

"When kings wage war, can the kingdoms survive?"
    lb70145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By lb70145

When they find Black Bolt, and then fights Vulcan I hope he uses the Master Blow to kill that bastard.

"At an end your rule is. And not short enough it was." - Yoda

Vulcan786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Vulcan786

Story looks pretty intresting, its a shame theres so many Vulcan haters i actually like the character (should have been written better), i think 1 on 1 he could put up a good fight against Blackbolt but then again Vulcan doesnt fully know how to use his powers *sigh*...... On marvel.com they said that this "event" will sparead over loads of issues so there must be lots of depth to this..anybody got any predictions ?....the only thing,at this point, i can predict is that if Vulcan were to "loose" he wouldnt actually be killed....

Shaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shaper

Is Namor going to be in this? And Black Panther? I mean they are both kings.

Vulcan786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Vulcan786

not so sure about that but the two kings that this story will revolve around are leader of the inhumans (former?) Black bolt, and mutant powerhouse Vulcan....this is going to be a cosmic level event so it most likely is going to have an impact on earth

VulCanDoItAll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By VulCanDoItAll
    LB70145 said:
    "When they find Black Bolt, and then fights Vulcan I hope he uses the Master Blow to kill that bastard.

"At an end your rule is. And not short enough it was." - Yoda
    "
    Vulcan has the power to dominate BlackBolt i dont see him beating Vulcan
    Vulcan786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vulcan786
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By warlock360

Well after reading, Secret Invasion: Inhumans, its kinda cool to see how this will unravel...

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By John Valentine
    Shaper said:
    "Is Namor going to be in this? And Black Panther? I mean they are both kings."
    I think it's just the cosmic leaders, and Vulcan is not that bad. 
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By John Valentine
    Nobody said:
    "Voidheart said:
    "Well after reading, Secret Invasion: Inhumans, its kinda cool to see how this will unravel..."
    I still don't get what you were talking about."
    Blackbolt Lives?
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Martian
    John Valentine said:
    "Nobody said:
    "Voidheart said:
    "Well after reading, Secret Invasion: Inhumans, its kinda cool to see how this will unravel..."
    Blackbolt Lives!"
    Oops I accidently deleted my post, but I know that. Its what Void told me in a pm though.
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By John Valentine
    Nobody said:
    "John Valentine said:
    "Nobody said:
    "Voidheart said:
    Blackbolt Lives!"
    Oops I accidently deleted my post, but I know that. Its what Void told me in a pm though."
    Sorry i meant that to be a question mark but hey, now I know!
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_Martian
    John Valentine said:
    "Nobody said:
    "John Valentine said:
    "Nobody said:
    "Voidheart said:
    Blackbolt Lives!"
    Oops I accidently deleted my post, but I know that. Its what Void told me in a pm though."
    Sorry i meant that to be a question mark but hey, now I know!"
    Yes it was revealed he is still alive.
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By John Valentine

Where's he been and when was he replaced?

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_Martian
    John Valentine said:
    "Where's he been and when was he replaced?"
    It wasn't revealed for how long but he is currently a captive on a skrull ship.
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By John Valentine
    Nobody said:
    "John Valentine said:
    It wasn't revealed for how long but he is currently a captive on a skrull ship."
    Powers subdued?
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The_Martian
    John Valentine said:
    "Nobody said:
    "John Valentine said:
    It wasn't revealed for how long but he is currently a captive on a skrull ship."
    Powers subdued?"
    Sounds like the Skrulls are trying to convert his energy from his body into a powerful weapon, probably a gun.
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_Martian
    John Valentine said:
    "Klkl.... yeah I made the move of starting to collect Batman and Green Lantern as well as my normal  Marvel (Uncanny, X-Force, X-Factor, Astonishing) titles so i can't afford to buy all Secret Invasion tie-ins."
    I can't either, I wish I could.
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By John Valentine
    Nobody said:
    "John Valentine said:
    "Klkl.... yeah I made the move of starting to collect Batman and Green Lantern as well as my normal  Marvel (Uncanny, X-Force, X-Factor, Astonishing) titles so i can't afford to buy all Secret Invasion tie-ins."
    I can't either, I wish I could."
    I just get Secret Invasion X-Men: I'll get the others in trade format so it's no biggy, plus Morrison's Batman is amazing.
    lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By lordraiden
    Shaper said:
    "Is Namor going to be in this? And Black Panther? I mean they are both kings."

Yeah, but not on a Universale scale! Slight difference between being the Monarch of a small but powerfull country like Wakanda and comparing that to  the Monarch of the Shi'ar empire, which spans whole  Galaxies!
    lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lordraiden
    John Valentine said:
    "Nobody said:
    "Voidheart said:
    Blackbolt Lives?"

Yeah, obviously haven't read Secret Invasion: Inhumans, where he's shown held captive on the last panel!
    Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Last_Guardian

I really wanna see an epic Black Bolt vs. Vulcan fight..I bet Blackbolt is still gonna be a little pissed cause of what happened to him in SI.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By John Valentine
    lordraiden said:
    "John Valentine said:
    "Nobody said:
    "Voidheart said:
    Blackbolt Lives?"

Yeah, obviously haven't read Secret Invasion: Inhumans, where he's shown held captive on the last panel!"
    No I haven't and I stated that and the reason why above.
    Avatar image for dr__victor_von_doom
    Dr. Victor von Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FIRST LOOK: Guardians of the Galaxy #7

The "War of Kings" is approaching and the road to this jaw-dropping event begins in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #7—now featuring a variant cover by classic Guardians of the Galaxy artist Jim Valentino! Acclaimed writing duo Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning, along with fan favorite artist Paul Pelletier, begin a bold new era for the Guardians with a new story arc, a new team…and a missing Star-Lord! How will the team cope? Who will join their ranks? And is Rocket Raccoon really leading the team now? One thing's for sure—expect the unexpected!

"Dan, Andy and Paul are doing a great job on this series and I'm honored to be a small part of the continuing Guardians history they're creating," says Valentino.

If you've missed the series that IGN.com calls "right on par with Marvel's very best titles" then don't miss GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #7, as War of Kings' first shots are fired!

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #7 (SEP082339)
    GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #7 VALENTINO VARIANT (AUG088017)
    Written by DAN ABNETT & ANDY LANNING
    Penciled by PAUL PELLETIER
    Cover by CLINT LANGLEY
    Variant Cover by JIM VALENTINO, CHANCE WOLF and GURU eFX
    Rated T+ …$2.99
    FOC—11/6/08, On-Sale—11/26/08

To find a comic shop near you, call 1-888-comicbook

Source: Marvel.com
    Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By Slinger

Rocket Raccoon is leading the team?! Fantastic.

Ball Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ball Buster
    Nobody said:
    "John Valentine said:
    It does state in Secret Invasion Inhumans 3 that Black was Kidnaped at the end of the Skrull/Kree war and before World War Hulk as the Skrulls try to get rises from Black Bolt,Saying Madusa "made it" with the Skrull agent(impersonate Black Bolt) that was defeated by the Hulk.
    Ball Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Ball Buster

Black Bolt will Rule the Kree Empire...Just a Guess..

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Slinger
    Ball Buster said:
    "Nobody said:
    "John Valentine said:
    It does state in Secret Invasion Inhumans 3 that Black was Kidnaped at the end of the Skrull/Kree war and before World War Hulk as the Skrulls try to get rises from Black Bolt,Saying Madusa "made it" with the Skrull agent(impersonate Black Bolt) that was defeated by the Hulk."
    It wasn't the Kree/Skrull war, it was the Silent War.
    Ball Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ball Buster

Really? yeah your right.

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mr. Wilson

So cannot wait for Black Bolt to kick some @$$!

Avatar image for king_of_hearts_11987
    King of Hearts 11987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ball Buster said:
    "Black Bolt will Rule the Kree Empire...Just a Guess.."
    There is no Kree Empire.
    Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mr. Wilson

Maybe he means the little factions.  Right now Ronan is commanding them.  SI: Inhumans #3.

Ball Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ball Buster
    King of Hearts 11987 said:
    "Ball Buster said:
    "Black Bolt will Rule the Kree Empire...Just a Guess.."
    There is no Kree Empire."
    Does not mean there wont be another .

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Mr. Wilson
    Mr. Wilson said:
    "Maybe he means the little factions.  Right now Ronan is commanding them.  SI: Inhumans #3."
    DFChewie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DFChewie
    LB70145 said:
    "When they find Black Bolt, and then fights Vulcan I hope he uses the Master Blow to kill that bastard."
    Hope so. It could lead to tension between the mutants and the Inhumans, with Cyclops (leader of the mutants) not comfortable with Black Bolt (leader of the Inhumans) having killed his brother. Could even lead to tension between Cyclops and Havok, say over their differing opinions on what Black Bolt did. After all, Havok was all set to kill Vulcan, he just couldn't.
    The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By The_Scourge
    Black Bolts going to kick a$$

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.