Your reaction: Wally is now black

#1 Posted by redwingx (532 posts) - - Show Bio

and has the stereotype black personality

All for more black heroes!!!!!

BRETT BOOTH On the New 52 WALLY WEST: 'He Will Be Different'

Booth: I think it will be getting people to accept this version. I know what some people are expecting, I know what I'd want. He will be different

The original Wally was from a different time, a very Norman Rockwell sort of place. That is no longer the case for anyone in the New 52. He will reflect that, I'm sure.

#2 Posted by waezi2 (6819 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure, why not?

#3 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5280 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. I really am the Flash

#4 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5280 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. I really am the Flash

#5 Posted by tupiaz (2170 posts) - - Show Bio

So still just speculations?

#6 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure this thread will stay completely civil

#7 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (11086 posts) - - Show Bio

Where was Wally being black ever confirmed? This seems like overreaction bait speculation.

I'm sure this thread will stay completely civil

A civil reaction on 'Vine?

#8 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously though, what are you even on about OP? Nothing has suggested that Wally will be black or have a stereotypical personality. Is this just meant to start a war or...?

#9 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously though, what are you even on about OP? Nothing has suggested that Wally will be black or have a stereotypical personality. Is this just meant to start a war or...?

#10 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6128 posts) - - Show Bio

@peppeyhare: @martianmanhunterisbetterthancy: I believe he's talking about this interview ( http://www.newsarama.com/20067-brett-booth-on-the-new-52-wally-west-he-will-be-different.html ) in which it says ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about him being black.

#11 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6128 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by GrenadeFlow (1360 posts) - - Show Bio

The OP is clearly baiting a race debate

#13 Posted by RDClip (1117 posts) - - Show Bio

So, does that mean Iris is half-black?

#14 Posted by Cloakx14 (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

interesting.

#15 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

@peppeyhare: @martianmanhunterisbetterthancy: Edit: He's talking about the. Black Flash on the cover (as in his costume is black) which hasn't even been confirmed to be Wally. Completely misleading thread.

Well on the article you mentioned Booth confirmed that the suit is dark blue.

#16 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (6128 posts) - - Show Bio

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy: When they asked Booth if that was Wally, he said "Wally is on the cover." Not that he was the blue Flash. My guess is that he's the kid spray painting on the bottom right.

#17 Posted by danhimself (22278 posts) - - Show Bio

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy: When they asked Booth if that was Wally, he said "Wally is on the cover." Not that he was the blue Flash. My guess is that he's the kid spray painting on the bottom right.

my guess is that with the way things are going in Teen Titans that Bar Torr (god I hate that) is either killed or left in the future and that Wally is a teenager and becomes the new Kid Flash

#20 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse said:

my guess is that with the way things are going in Teen Titans that Bar Torr (god I hate that) is either killed or left in the future and that Wally is a teenager and becomes the new Kid Flash

Ikr, what was Lobdell smoking when he came up with that?

#22 Posted by danhimself (22278 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@rulerofthisuniverse said:

Ikr, what was Lobdell smoking when he came up with that?

every member of the New 52 Teen Titans has been completely butchered by the New 52...not one of them is even close to original characters anymore

#23 Posted by Cloakx14 (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm cool with wally west being black just as long as his character development is good and he has a good supporting cast.

#24 Edited by Nathaniel_Christopher (1556 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah comicvine. Like an early morning cup of coffee, I can always count on you to help start my day right.

(Personally, I can't say i'd appreciate them randomly making him black, probably for diversity. Just like I didn't appreciate them randomly making Jay gay. Though at least in that instance it was a result of his son being erased from continuity.)

#25 Posted by Black_Claw (2888 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't care just as long as his personality is still good.

#26 Posted by redwingx (532 posts) - - Show Bio

I meant what if he's black, what's your reaction then.

Sorry for being misleading and all.

I would also like to say, what do you guys feels about Wally being diffrent? Do we need a diffrent Wally really? He's a great character already, making him diffrent is dumb imo. Wally is ginger so he has already brought diversity.

#27 Edited by Dredeuced (5321 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind diversity (though there aren't a lot of ginger superheroes either). I just don't like the idea of a wise cracking black guy who's presumptive power is superspeed. It's like hitting the stereotype homerun.

It doesn't really matter so long as he's written well (my biggest worry) but it'll obviously be a bit separated from the Wally of old. If he looks different, acts different, and has a different back story, then why is he Wally West aside from the name? If you're trying to cash in on old names then it'd probably make sense to stick to the character who you're cashing in on. Trying to dick around with everything is what ruined Teen Titans, and that had nothing to do with race, just bad, bad writing and complete disregard for who the characters used to be.

#28 Posted by longbowhunter (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever. It's the New 52 and 95% of the characters we've know all these years are drastically different. That doesn't always mean its a bad thing. Lemire's GA is practically a different character when compared to pre-Flashpoint Ollie, and people love him. So long as Wally is interesting and has a purpose in this continuity I'll be happy.

#29 Posted by PowerHerc (81602 posts) - - Show Bio

More revisionist BS failure. Wally West is a white man.

#30 Posted by mysoulz (266 posts) - - Show Bio

eh?..It's still speculation though. I do understand the live action series will have the West family appear black and there's possible these changes will reflect in the comics. And of course Brett Booth's statement. But nothing's certain.

So it's not really that surprising there's speculation going on from various websites with articles, threads and posters.

#31 Posted by cameron83 (6639 posts) - - Show Bio

1. The OP's speculation isn't exactly baseless. In the new TV show,Iris and Wally will be Black. It's so unheard of for comics to change the characters to match the TV depictions,right?

2. Brett Booth says numerous things that,considering this is the new 52,should catch your eye:

• Be open to change and wait for things to play out a bit. I know everyone’s first reaction is to flip out, myself included, but be patient.
  • “Wally is on the cover.

This could mean that Wally is the young teenager on the bottom right corner that is spray painting,and vandalizing the wall. This must also be why the OP said "and has the stereotype black personality"

• .....I think it will be getting people to accept this version. I know what some people are expecting, I know what I'd want. He will be different, for one thing, in the old DCU he was Iris's sister's kid. She has a brother now, so things won't be exactly the same. The original Wally was from a different time, a very Norman Rockwell sort of place. That is no longer the case for anyone in the New 52. He will reflect that, I'm sure.

So....yeah. You can understand why I worry for what they are doing to Wally.

If he's not black,he'll probably have a mohawk,and do drugs,or something.

Since he doesn't come from a "Norman Rockwell sort of place",how's his family now? Are his parents abusive?Dead?

However,he does have the last name West,so he still has some sort of connection to Iris.....unless he's adopted or something.

#32 Edited by redwingx (532 posts) - - Show Bio

Wally revealed?

#33 Posted by ubungqingili (73 posts) - - Show Bio

about time they made him black we need more famous black characters oh yeah this is great.

#34 Posted by comedy_brosUSA (756 posts) - - Show Bio

in a non-racist way: WHY IS HE BLACK?

#35 Posted by TekTheNinja (766 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for ruining my favorite speedster, DC.

#36 Posted by Bsaa (396 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol I bet y'all feel dumb. I don't know how the op was so on the money, but he was

#37 Edited by TehStranger (835 posts) - - Show Bio

What do you know, the OP predicted this perfectly. Hey @redwingx can you predict the lottery numbers for me?

#38 Edited by w0nd (2871 posts) - - Show Bio

about time they made him black we need more famous black characters oh yeah this is great.

they made him an asshole delinquent with a deadbeat dad.

#39 Edited by redwingx (532 posts) - - Show Bio

Lmao I was right LOLOL

#40 Edited by 2ndtoLastSonofKrypton (6 posts) - - Show Bio

My brother is going to be disappointed. He's a ginger like Wally was.

Seriously though, I do not appreciate random changes to the race of characters. Writers should be focusing on making new characters that are interesting as well as diverse rather than altering popular white characters.

#41 Posted by Flash_PHOBIA (70 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really care that he is black, just wish he was older though, closer to barry's age and not just a kid.

#42 Posted by ghieri (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really care that he is black, just wish he was older though, closer to barry's age and not just a kid.

yeah. but i guess they did that so he could be closer to damian Wayne age. but i like that since hes black now, hes no longer kid flash cause that just wouldn't work for me

#43 Posted by w0nd (2871 posts) - - Show Bio

@redwingx: found it hilarious that people called the people who didn't accept this change racist, and then we come to find out that wally now spends his time spray painting around the city mouthing off cops and has dead beat parents. Stereotype urban youth ftw!

#44 Edited by kgb725 (5877 posts) - - Show Bio

We need more black characters that actually spend time doing something

#45 Posted by Dredeuced (5321 posts) - - Show Bio
@kgb725 said:

We need more black characters that actually spend time doing something

I've got bad news for you, friend.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.