Follow

Wally West

Character » Wally West appears in 3106 issues.

Struck by the same lightning bolt that turned his uncle Barry Allen into the Flash, Wallace Rudolph "Wally" West took the name Kid Flash, became Barry's sidekick, and joined the Teen Titans. Eventually, Wally became the Flash to honor his uncle's memory, who died saving the Universe. He also became a member of the Justice League. He married a woman named Linda Park and had two kids, Jai and Iris West II. Currently, Wally is active as the Flash.

Wally West's future is in fans' hands

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I agree this new wally west is the worst new 52 reinvention and is racist in the way wally is portrayed. Everythiny about wally has changed, he's not the same person at all anymore. If you want to make him black that's fine but its silly to add all the stereotypes and make him a criminal angry brat. Wally west was never like that, and they completely destroyed his relationship with the other flashes which was a huge part of his story.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Completely agree. Wally West has been murdered. By Dan Didio. DC no longer honors the "Detective Comics" imprint. It now stands for "Didio's Crap" Huzzah!

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Dredeuced

@moon711: If you want a rant about why this isn't Wally West, then just read this:

http://www.comicvine.com/wally-west/4005-23879/forums/is-it-possible-to-bring-back-the-wally-kyle-team-1559393/?page=1#js-message-11889830

I don't have a tumblr or anything but even ignoring the race change there are a lot of other problems we can deduce from just 1 page. Even more so the fact that DC gave the writing assignment to Venditti, a man who plainly admitted he knows nothing about Wally West, to bring back Wally West. The point was clear -- they had no intention of bringing back Wally. If they did they would've given it to a writer who even knew who the character was. It's obvious just one issue in that Venditti doesn't.

I disagree with you, though. The power isn't in our hands. If the power was in our hands the real Wally West would've been back years ago. DC has stuck their fingers in their ears and bunkered down on the Wally West topic more than they've done on any other issue I've ever seen them. No matter how many people asked, wrote in, or begged about it they ignored them and told them to read Barry's book and "be glad there's even a Flash book at all." DC will not ever change their role in this -- the current head honchos wanted this change, and the future ones won't change it for fear of being called racists. They've hijacked and buried Wally West for good.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

@moon711: Get rid of the swearing, that's not allowed on CV's forums.

ThorMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Completely agree, absolutely shocking from DC, so disappointed in them. I've been really enjoying new 52 so far and particularly The Flash, but there is just no way I will be buying another comic from them until this is changed back. I think you hit the nail on the head with them wanting people to feel scared for voicing their criticism, but I'm also a little disappointed in the fans for not banding together on this issue and boycotting the flash comics. Even if you don't care much for Wally West, imagine if this happened to one of your favourites?

TekTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@thormaster: Completely agree. I recently tweeted some of my anger to Dan Didio.

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i just hate how you can have a legitimate gripe and the people who disagree with you can just say you're being racist and end the argument.

ubungqingili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the reason they change him because he was too similar too barry besides we need more famous black characters.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sadly i have to agree i mean dang

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dredeuced

@ubungqingili said:

the reason they change him because he was too similar too barry besides we need more famous black characters.

Which is why they depowered him and made him 12 years old and put him as a sidekick to the superhero who only appears in 2 books, where he won't even appear on the cover for the entire arc so as to give him as little visibility as possible while Batman still dicks around with 4 white robins who look exactly like him.

If DC actually cared about adding more famous black characters they'd actually try instead of pulling this contrived nonsense. You don't spend 5 years making Wally as irrelevant as you possibly can then turn him black so there can be a famous black character.

90sKid84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL! I'm so happy you Wally fans are going through this after all those battle threads where Wally was unbeatable because of "speed steal" and "imp." Karma is a bitch!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!! Black power.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@90skid84 said:

LOL! I'm so happy you Wally fans are going through this after all those battle threads where Wally was unbeatable because of "speed steal" and "imp." Karma is a bitch!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!! Black power.

What do you mean "go through this,"? We already dealt with him being deleted and forgotten for like 4 years. Doesn't change any of the stuff on battle forums, but glad to see you're so petty.

ubungqingili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@90skid84 said:

What do you mean "go through this,"? We already dealt with him being deleted and forgotten for like 4 years. Doesn't change any of the stuff on battle forums, but glad to see you're so petty.

thats what they said diana sister and wally were remove cause they were consider too similar i read it somewhere. thats why wally was changed and why donna troy willl be different too if not already.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

meh

TekTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dredeuced said:

@90skid84 said:

thats what they said diana sister and wally were remove cause they were consider too similar i read it somewhere. thats why wally was changed and why donna troy willl be different too if not already.

He's completely different than Barry. Barry is boring imo.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

I agree this new wally west is the worst new 52 reinvention and is racist in the way wally is portrayed. Everythiny about wally has changed, he's not the same person at all anymore. If you want to make him black that's fine but its silly to add all the stereotypes and make him a criminal angry brat. Wally west was never like that, and they completely destroyed his relationship with the other flashes which was a huge part of his story.

Guess you won't be buying any comics from them for a while.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of you guys really need to look up the definition of being a racist or something that is is racist. Also...

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121229005043/glee/images/2/2e/Get-over-it.gif

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtummytumms: And you need to realize they turned a character black and applied a bunch of terribly racist caricatures to him for no reason when it would've been simple to make him similar to Wally while making him black.

What do you call it when you turn a character black then apply a bunch of negative stereotypes that black people have that the character originally did not have?

But thanks for having a shallow thought process and falling into DC's trap of just calling things racist as a kneejerk reaction. Also the gif is headache inducing.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtummytumms: And you need to realize they turned a character black and applied a bunch of terribly racist caricatures to him for no reason when it would've been simple to make him similar to Wally while making him black.

What do you call it when you turn a character black then apply a bunch of negative stereotypes that black people have that the character originally did not have?

But thanks for having a shallow thought process and falling into DC's trap of just calling things racist as a kneejerk reaction. Also the gif is headache inducing.

Who did I call racist? All I'm saying is that people keep throwing around the term racist even though there isn't anything remotely racist in the situation. For example, the changes to Wally West are nowhere close to being racist. I understand that he's a character that you guys love and all, but you guys really need to learn something called patience and quit acting like a bunch of spoiled brats. Just like every Dc comic book character there's going to be a journey from the person that they are now to the hero that they will be in the future.

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dredeuced

@mrtummytumms: Turning him into a black street punk whose idol in life is a career criminal and also his dad abandoned him and every other crappy stereotype young black males have is racist. He's literally a walking black punk caricature as of now.

Moving past that, making him black isn't racist inherently, it's just racist in the grand scheme of DC's design philosophy where they absolutely refuse to make any of the title characters they care about and feature in any important events different races -- you'll notice they didn't race change a single JL member with the New 52 despite using that as the impetus of why it's okay to do it to Wally. They stick race changing to characters they have successfully diminished or who have no relevant standing to the editorial. Wally West being black isn't racist, changing Wally West into a black kid while ignoring the rest of the brand that they actually market is. Batman still has 4 white as hell looking Robins. Wonder Woman's still white as hell despite being descendant from ancient Grecians.

They do not care about any character they make black, they seriously just make characters they don't care about black to fulfill some pathetic diversity quota while simultaneously enforcing that Wally will never again be as important as Barry.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtummytumms: Turning him into a black street punk whose idol in life is a career criminal and also his dad abandoned him and every other crappy stereotype young black males have is racist. He's literally a walking black punk caricature as of now.

Moving past that, making him black isn't racist inherently, it's just racist in the grand scheme of DC's design philosophy where they absolutely refuse to make any of the title characters they care about and feature in any important events different races -- you'll notice they didn't race change a single JL member with the New 52 despite using that as the impetus of why it's okay to do it to Wally. They stick race changing to characters they have successfully diminished or who have no relevant standing to the editorial. Wally West being black isn't racist, changing Wally West into a black kid while ignoring the rest of the brand that they actually market is.

Opinions I guess. I don't see anything racist about this at all. If that was the case almost every movie showing a black kid starting down the wrong path should be considered racist. At the end of the day, complaining is kind of pointless considering how the deed is already done and there's not really anything anyone can do about it.

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtummytumms: A movie that stars a black kid fulfilling a bunch of negative black kid stereotypes is racist. Remove the name Wally West from the character. What if I told you DC was introducing a new black character who's a 12 year old punk who assaults police officers, tags buildings with spray paint, mouths off to police officers after getting caught, reveres his older male relative whose entire character is being a horrible person and career criminal, and his dad abandoned him when he was born? He's a baggy clothed black street punk. If you have any social acuity you'd pretty quickly realize, "Yeah, that's a bunch of terrible stereotypes that only old racists think black kids adhere to."

I agree that there's nothing we can do about it aside from stop supporting DC (I've stopped buying The Flash title as as of this last annual out of disgust), but you're the one who came into the thread telling people to look up what racism is. What DC does is quite obviously very racist on the macro and micro levels and terrible for the character of Wally West for many more reasons than what I've stated to you. The things I just said are just undeniable truths about how DC operates so it's pretty easy to present them in a way that doesn't have much of a counterargument.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't get why they had to change a great character with lots of history so drastically.

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dredeuced

@transformers1024 said:

I don't get why they had to change a great character with lots of history so drastically.

They felt Wally undermined Barry. That's the reason they didn't reintroduce him in the first few years -- they wanted Barry as the only relevant Flash. They said as much several times, words like "Reintroducing Barry would just make fans think he's gonna replace Barry and we don't want that." By doing this they assuage their insecurities over people liking Wally more than Barry because they only want Barry to be the successful Flash.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By righteous300

@dredeuced said:

@mrtummytumms: A movie that stars a black kid fulfilling a bunch of negative black kid stereotypes is racist. Remove the name Wally West from the character. What if I told you DC was introducing a new black character who's a 12 year old punk who assaults police officers, tags buildings with spray paint, mouths off to police officers after getting caught, reveres his older male relative whose entire character is being a horrible person and career criminal, and his dad abandoned him when he was born? He's a baggy clothed black street punk. If you have any social acuity you'd pretty quickly realize, "Yeah, that's a bunch of terrible stereotypes that only old racists think black kids adhere to."

I agree that there's nothing we can do about it aside from stop supporting DC (I've stopped buying The Flash title as as of this last annual out of disgust), but you're the one who came into the thread telling people to look up what racism is. What DC does is quite obviously very racist on the macro and micro levels and terrible for the character of Wally West for many more reasons than what I've stated to you. The things I just said are just undeniable truths about how DC operates so it's pretty easy to present them in a way that doesn't have much of a counterargument.

I honestly don't think you know what racism or being a racist truly is. So because they changed the race and personality of one character you're branding the whole company as being racist? I'm sorry but I'm my eyes that is just incredibly stupid. You're acting as if DC portrays all of their black characters like this. We have characters like John Stewart, Static Shock, Mr. Terrific, Black Thunder, and Batwing. Black characters that are all great, but yeah one black character is a bad apple and DC is racist. Whatever dude, boycott DC or whatever it is that you're going to do.

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dredeuced

@mrtummytumms: The way they changed the character into a heap of negative black stereotypes is racist. That they ONLY change characters who are insignificant to their brand, in their eyes, shows that they're racist on larger scheme. If race changing people for the sake of diversity is truly an option for DC with this reboot then why isn't Barry Allen black? Why is the entire justice league full of white people, even when it doesn't make sense, with the lone exception of the most underdeveloped and maligned character in Cyborg? Who they booted out the only other member of the JL who wasn't your typical caucasian (admittedly, J'onn is an alien and doesn't represent any form of real life diversity). DC clearly thinks about this diversity stuff, so why do they not do it to any character of relevance in their universe?

Because they don't WANT to change the characters they care about -- the fact that fans cared about Wally is irrelevant to them as their agenda was to support Barry. Barry is supported so he remains your perfect white male protagonist. Wally was intentionally written out of the DC universe for years before New 52. This is a continuation on the years of tearing down Wally's relevance -- making him a 12 year old black sidekick makes him entirely different from anything he used to resemble and cements their plan of making sure Barry's the important one while putting a big fat "you're a racist" catchline to anyone complains about what they're doing to Wally.

Every single character you listed is a new character that wasn't changed to become stereotypes, and NONE of them were created by this current crop of DC editorial, so your statement is doubly irrelevant. With the possible minor exception of Vergil who hits only a couple of the "street punk" stereotypes. If there was a white Static Shock and was changed to become a black Static Shock who fit every checklist of racist view of black street kids that Wally does it would've been racist then, too, but that's not what happened. If this wasn't Wally West and was just a new character who was introduced to the new Flash storyline then it wouldn't be racist in the grand scheme of things where DC only changes characters they don't care about -- it'd just be racist in the bucketlist of black stereotypes it reinforces.

Let me clarify. Jaime Reyes isn't a racist caricature and wasn't a dumb race swap of a low tier character that DC previously had -- just a replacement/legacy character who was completely new taking up the Blue Beetle mantle while creating a more diverse cast of DC characters. The same goes for Terry Sloane and Michael Holt in the Mr. Terrific name -- he's a new character. This isn't a new black character DC is introducing us to, this is a retread that they're changing, despite the fact that their only reason for not bringing back Wally earlier was "We want Barry to be the only Flash and we feel that Wally coming back would threaten Barry's position as the relevant Flash." Making Wally a black sidekick strengthens his lack of relevance(as is common for POC sidekicks attached to white hero mentors), the racist stereotypes are just a poop cherry on the garbage sundae.

We're also generally upset about how the overall change completely eviscerates anything and everything that people liked about the previous Wally. The only thing he has in common is that his dad is Rudolph West, his Aunt is Iris West, and his name is Wally West. Barring names and heredity he's a completely dissimilar -- so why name him Wally if he's nothing like Wally? To shut people up about wanting Wally back and call them racists if they complain about anything.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Again the commentator here nails this issue well.

Loading Video...

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like I said before yu obviously have no idea what being a racist or what racism truly means.

Avatar image for captnmcdeadpool
    captnmcdeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First off, I'm Black. Among other things.

Second, I've been a fan of Wally since I was a kid. I've never seen so many white guys use the race card to get DC to make Wally whatt he "used to be".

And what, pray tell might that be? Faster and/or more powerful. This is literally a thread designed to pressure DC into returning Wally into the ultra fast character he used to be.

Oh, and disguised as "racism" no less.

Unreal.

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Dredeuced

@captnmcdeadpool said:

First off, I'm Black. Among other things.

Second, I've been a fan of Wally since I was a kid. I've never seen so many white guys use the race card to get DC to make Wally whatt he "used to be".

And what, pray tell might that be? Faster and/or more powerful. This is literally a thread designed to pressure DC into returning Wally into the ultra fast character he used to be.

Oh, and disguised as "racism" no less.

Unreal.

Holy crap you are out of your mind. Go read Born to Run and then read this Flash Annual 3 and freaking pretend there's a similarity if you're a "wally fan." This is just kid Wally, mind you. It obviously completely falls apart when we talk about Iris, Linda, Jay, Bart, Jesse, Max, his kids, his specific villains and all other stuff that got tossed aside.

The race thing is endemic of a bigger problem of how DC views race and is completely inept at realizing societal morays. The rest has nothing to do with being faster or more powerful and you're a joke if you think that's the actual problem.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well here is my two cents:

• I prefer Barry over Wally. Wally was great but Barry was always my favorite Flash.
    • I don't mind the race change!
    • I agree with the whole 'misguided youth' part because Wally is supposed to be a great guy and he doesn't need any one to help him realize that, But I do not think it is racist! stereotypical? yes
    • if Wally was still white and a misguided youth would it be racist?
    • I know the future shows Wally dying but that does not necessarily mean they are gonna stick to that, I am pretty sure Barry traveling through time to 'fix' things is gonna change that outcome.
    • I don't really like it right now but is Barry mentoring Wally in life really that bad?
    • I really like the Flash title so I will not stop purchasing it. Sorry.
    Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dredeuced

@theamazingimmortalman said:

Well here is my two cents:

• I prefer Barry over Wally. Wally was great but Barry was always my favorite Flash.
    • I don't mind the race change!
    • I agree with the whole 'misguided youth' part because Wally is supposed to be a great guy and he doesn't need any one to help him realize that, But I do not think it is racist! stereotypical? yes
    • if Wally was still white and a misguided youth would it be racist?
    • I know the future shows Wally dying but that does not necessarily mean they are gonna stick to that, I am pretty sure Barry traveling through time to 'fix' things is gonna change that outcome.
    • I don't really like it right now but is Barry mentoring Wally in life really that bad?
    • I really like the Flash title so I will not stop purchasing it. Sorry.

Preferring one character to another is irrelevant, it's not like having one means you can't have the other. It's like saying you prefer Bruce Wayne to Dick Grayson -- so?

You're missing the forest for the trees, no one said being a misguided youth is what instills notions of racism. Wally was misguided in pre-52 as a kid because he had crappy parents. "Misguided youth," isn't what we're saying is racist -- Billy Batson was misguided and it was annoying, but he didn't conform to any racist stereotypes that people think young white kids adhere to. Wally conforms to several.

The character is a complete flop because they put a writer who has never read a single Flash story to the task of bringing back Wally and, go figure, he has no idea who Wally was and has instilled literally zero parts of Wally's personality or character into this new version. This isn't Venditti's fault, he was not obligated to have read Flash comics when he was younger, but it's still a mockery. He was the wrong man for the job because of his lack of knowledge and that seems to have been a very intentional move by DC, considering they stonewalled Manapul and Buccaletto from bringing back Wally(people who actually are aware of the character's previous qualities) despite their repeated protests.

Wally literally idolizes a career criminal turned supervillain (His uncle, Daniel West) and hates The Flash for locking up this serial murderer and his Aunt Iris thinks of him as a disappointment who needs guidance from a male role model. That is not even a passing resemblance to Wally West and anyone who thinks it is either lying or ignorant.

TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dredeuced: I was really responding to what was stated in the OP, your argument is a lot more sound (or better explained) and I have no qualms with it and can't argue with it. what's wrong with a kid idolizing a criminal anyway? When I was a kid I thought my uncle (2-time felon + various misdemeanors) I thought he was the coolest man ever I wanted to talk to him over the phone all the time, I now realize that he is a bum criminal. I also still don't agree with the racist bit, because I do not think it is racist.

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Dredeuced

@theamazingimmortalman: Well your uncle was probably(I don't know what crimes he committed for sure so I can't adequately judge your point) a terrible role model and it can't have been a good thing to idolize him. If your uncle was a serial killer I would be very...worried that you don't think it's bad that you idolized him

The reason why it's specifically terrible for Wally is because Wally's dream was to be a superhero and his close relationship with Iris, who dealt with The Flash often and would tell Wally stories about him, became Wally's idol. Wally's relationship with his aunt is a travesty(she's literally disappointed in him instead of treating him like a friend, Iris being proud of Wally and being his closest friend is THE LITERAL MOST IMPORTANT THING that defines him and his relationship with Barry) and instead of looking up to a superhero he looks up to a serial killing super villain and he resents The Flash for putting a serial killer in jail -- and it's not like this is a case of him not knowing the facts, because his Aunt Iris was there when he confessed to killing a bunch of people and she's the one who originally found it out, so he's literally just bitter at Flash because the Flash locked up his serial killing uncle. That's insane. It's not just a bad take on the character, it is the complete opposite of what the character used to be. Imagine if I rewrote Bruce Wayne's origin story to have his parents never die and he turns into a mass murdering gun maniac. That's not Bruce Wayne, is it? So why does this complete opposite of Wally get to be Wally?

If you don't get how changing him to a black character and then adding racist stereotypes to his character he never had before as racist then I don't know. It'd be like if they turned Dick Grayson into a mexican and he started wearing a sombrero and selling oranges -- that'd be stupid and racist, too.

TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dredeuced: Ah, okay I missed the part where Wally knew he was a serial killer, I concede, my uncle btw was convicted of various drug charges and domestic abuse, but even than I didn't knw that as a kid, and I guess I read past the part where it was stated that Wally knew, so I was wrong on that part.............................................but again I don't think it is racist but than agian that is my opinion, and Grayson as a Mexican selling oranges? lol probably the best/funniest argument anyone could have come up with.

Moon711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Moon711

If he wasn't turned into black, those changes wouldn't look as bad. There is a difference when a white is introduced to us in this way. Making a POC (especially black) is a tired cliche. Not to mention Wally was always too good to be misguided. And his relationship with Iris is off as well.

I prefer Barry over Wally. Wally was great but Barry was always my favorite Flash.

Then my post isn't for you anyway, you may leave here.

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Dredeuced

@theamazingimmortalman said:

@dredeuced: Ah, okay I missed the part where Wally knew he was a serial killer, I concede, my uncle btw was convicted of various drug charges and domestic abuse, but even than I didn't knw that as a kid, and I guess I read past the part where it was stated that Wally knew, so I was wrong on that part.............................................but again I don't think it is racist but than agian that is my opinion, and Grayson as a Mexican selling oranges? lol probably the best/funniest argument anyone could have come up with.

Well mexicans selling oranges is a stupid stereotype. Black kids spray painting buildings and assaulting police officers is also a stupid racist stereotype. Wally never did that before and he's only doing it now after getting the ol race swap, so you tell me why it's not at worst racist or at best completely ignorant of what is racist.

Vendetti apparently says that Wally just doesn't believe Iris about Daniel's crimes which goes to show Wally's both stupid and he doesn't trust or respect his aunt which is the absolute worst thing you can do with Wally West. His relationship with his aunt was everything in the past and it's disgusting what's been done to it. All they've done is turn him into a racist caricature and gut anything about the character that existed prior. He just shouldn't be named Wally West (and shouldn't be a bucketlist of racist stereotypes attached onto a black kid if he was someone else).

TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dredeuced: Again, I now agree with you on the looking up to a serial killer part.

TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moon711 said:l.

I prefer Barry over Wally. Wally was great but Barry was always my favorite Flash.

Then my post isn't for you anyway, you may leave here.

lmao

Skunkstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moon711:

Whaaat? Ive been away from comics short to a year and now Wally is back, which is great news, but he is black? And he has changed personality? Great, now im proberly gonna get called a racist for not liking having Wally as my favorite Flash anymore.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Again the commentator here nails this issue well.

Loading Video...

God I love View Askew.

TekTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moon711:

Whaaat? Ive been away from comics short to a year and now Wally is back, which is great news, but he is black? And he has changed personality? Great, now im proberly gonna get called a racist for not liking having Wally as my favorite Flash anymore.

I know how you feel. Same with me.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#45  Edited By Teerack

I love all the white knighting in here and people who can't think far enough ahead to see that what they did to Wally is the actual the racist thing.

What really bothers me about this is this is just a new more preferment form of character death for Wally. It's not the same guy... and it never will be. If they wanted the flash to be a black guy then they should have introduced a black flash not override a beloved character for the sake of affirmative action and essentially using Wally's name to build up an all new character.

What this really means is that somewhere along the way DC gave up on being able to create a new great character and took out a pen and wrote "Black troubled youth" next to Wally's name and the fact that the editors think like that at DC is actually pretty disgusting considering it's 2014. I have no hope for DC's future and based off those new glimpse of the future covers I don't think I'm missing out on anything.

I'm sure people with small minds will rationalize this in their heads and try to brand the people who don't like this change as 'racists' saying things like "It doesn't matter that he's black!" well if that were true then... they wouldn't have made him black to begin with.

Literally the return of Wally was the thing that was going to make my reading shift back to DC and when I found out about all this today it just shattered any and all hope I had for the 52.... Now I've actually become one of those people who want the New 52 to backslide.... I've become what I hate.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.