How would you feel if Wally West died during "Flashpoint"?

Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

#1 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Wally West is one of Johns' favorite characters and is considered by most fans to be THE Flash.  He isn't getting killed off anytime soon.

#2 Posted by JCJQLB (2817 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Wally so i hope he don't die

#3 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom said:
"I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Wally West is one of Johns' favorite characters and is considered by most fans to be THE Flash.  He isn't getting killed off anytime soon. "

But wasn't Barry extremley poular when he was killed off?
#4 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

annoyed, bordering on pissed

#5 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

Cry

#6 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

#7 Posted by Lombaszko (27 posts) - - Show Bio

Dead is never really dead, if it makes for an interesting plot then I'm all for it.

#8 Posted by SilverMan91 (431 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lombaszko said:
"Dead is never really dead, if it makes for an interesting plot then I'm all for it. "

DC espeacially is notorious for this kind of stuff too, so i wouldnt be worried
#9 Posted by Mainline (1129 posts) - - Show Bio
@primepower53 said:
" @Zoom said:
"I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Wally West is one of Johns' favorite characters and is considered by most fans to be THE Flash.  He isn't getting killed off anytime soon. "
But wasn't Barry extremley poular when he was killed off? "
No.  Sales of his book had dwindled and he was on the verge of cancellation but they decided to keep the book on life support so that it continue up to Crisis on Infinite Earths... thus the "Trial of the Flash" was born which, for the era, was an incredibly long and boring story arc.  In those days, most storylines tended to be one-and-done and certainly action was the emphasis... but the Trial consisted largely of talking heads and witness stand testimony with a series of ridiculous and uninteresting revelations.  

At the time, Barry was popular as The Flash because he was, essentially, the only meaningful Flash (the family aspect and the JSA were not yet part of the DCU proper)... but in absolute terms Barry wasn't not popular. 

Since his death, his martyrdom and post-death retcons made him more iconic and popular than he really was during his own run and time.  His historical significance also amped his popularity as a symbol for an era that old fogies missed as they tsk'ed with disapproval at modern comics.  A small, but vocal minority continued to champion for his return but never really ever made traction... until, one day, said fogies because DCU Editorial and writers.  Even then, they didn't want to upset what was built up but did not resort to it until: 1) They felt creatively bankrupt (meaning, uninspired); 2) Wanted to plant their flag for posterity; and 3) Needed a stunt to boost sales. 

The stories told with Barry right now could have been easily told with Wally, but the change spurred them to be inspired... maybe.  Knowing DC was going to do it, the creators wanted to be the ones to do the return rather than resist it and have it given to someone else.  Finally, nothing like a good stunt and renumbering to boost stales.  So Barry's been brought back by force and business sales but not particularly because he was popular or a good character.  Many people see this as a great opportunity to get into The Flash, and to an extent it is, but it wasn't a decision driven by popularity.
#10 Posted by Lustwish (531 posts) - - Show Bio

It could work.  They could treat it similar to how Barry died in Crisis on Infinite Earth.  But that could and would only work if they really dropped the ball on the current Flash series down the road.  There is a lot of time, money and attention to blow this one.  I think anyhow.  

#11 Posted by lorex (958 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope Wally is not killed off. Though I could see it happen if for no other reason then to legitimize Barry Allen's position as 'The Flash'. DC should correct their mistake when the brought Barry back and eliminate him again.

#12 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll feel somewhat like this:

#13 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom said:
" I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Wally West is one of Johns' favorite characters and is considered by most fans to be THE Flash.  He isn't getting killed off anytime soon. "
I don't know about "most" fans. There've been so many Flash's now everybodies got a favourite. 
I first met Flash through the old TV show so when I met Wally in the comics I wanted Barry back despite not knowing much of anything about him.
Given the history I prefer to have Barry as the main character too. I find him more interesting. I used to be a huge Marvel fan becasue I liked the way they did their alter ego's. Everyone needed a job and waht not. Barry conforms more to that than Wally who always seemed a bit of a cop out story wise in that aspect.
I think Barry's as a character suffered because he was created at a time when character deveolpment wasn't as important as action. I'm loveing the current series so far though.

To get back to the original question though, death in comics is just ridiculous now. DC offing Flashes in particular.
#14 Posted by batflasharrow96 (445 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom: Johns killed off Superboy in Infinite Crisis and he claims that Superboy was his favourite character at the time so I don't see why he wouldn't kill him off for how much he liked him,
#15 Posted by KZR (487 posts) - - Show Bio

This is how I would feel!
#16 Posted by Icarusflies (12505 posts) - - Show Bio

Very, very, very unhappy.

#17 Posted by Donnieman v5.1 (44323 posts) - - Show Bio
@Icarusflies said:
" Very, very, very unhappy. "
This, pretty much ^
#18 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, just like everyone else. Pissed and Annoyed

#19 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

They won't kill him off.

#20 Posted by ComicMan24 (147095 posts) - - Show Bio

I definitely wouldn't like it.

#21 Posted by Sgtcrispy (414 posts) - - Show Bio

I would be pretty bummed. 

#22 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Where is Wally anyway?

#23 Posted by batflasharrow96 (445 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, when Babs interviewed him for flashpoint she asks, ''Is anyone gonna die?'' "Yea-um I can't tell you'' and he's not getting much attention so maybe this is it.

#24 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33974 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by The_Tree (7742 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't be too upset, Barry is my Flash.

#26 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be homicidal.

#27 Posted by Thorion88 (310 posts) - - Show Bio

General Zod says it best.

#28 Posted by Sgtcrispy (414 posts) - - Show Bio
@batflasharrow96 said:
@Zoom: Johns killed off Superboy in Infinite Crisis and he claims that Superboy was his favourite character at the time so I don't see why he wouldn't kill him off for how much he liked him,
First, Superboy Isn't as popular as Wally. 
Second, they killed off Superboy due to legal issues with them not being able to use the character anymore.
#29 Posted by batflasharrow96 (445 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sgtcrispy: Are you sure?
#30 Edited by Sgtcrispy (414 posts) - - Show Bio
@batflasharrow96 said:

@Sgtcrispy: Are you sure?

Yes.
#31 Posted by gridlock464 (84 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn’t be too happy about it, but DC hasn’t really done anything with Wally as of late, so it wouldn’t be a shocker if they did kill him. I tend to think that Bart is the one that either going to be killed or (pardon the phrasing) get sent back to the future. But with this reboot everything is up in the air. There is going to be a Nightwing & Batgirl book so Dick and Babs will be around. There will be a Teen Titans book but no clues on a line up, by the looks of it Cyborg is rolling with the big boys in JLA… I’m hoping with the reboot that Wally winds up as kid flash in titans. Hopefully Garth will be back as well.

#32 Posted by lorex (958 posts) - - Show Bio

If Wally was killed off or ceased to exist, I would be pissed off. I mean Barry Allen died in 1985 so for me Wally is the only Flash I really know. The relaunch of Flash with Barry Allen was a total failure not lasting long. I think because they successfully brought back Hal Jordan as the Green 
Lantern the DC editors thought  they could capture lighting in a bottle and finally gave in to the fanboys and brought Barry back to life. For me the upcoming relaunch would be perfect is Wally was The Flash and Barry was retconed back to being dead, but I doubt that will happen given the 
effort to bring that character back to life.

#33 Edited by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

With Bruce going back to being Bats and Dick going back to being Nightwing, I wouldn't put it past them to ditch Wally just to bring Barry back as Flash. I'd prefer if they didn't do that though, like lorex, Wally is the Flash I've grown up with.

#34 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64: No idea but this would be my reaction if they get rid of Wally  
#35 Posted by DEGRAAF (7896 posts) - - Show Bio

he basically does die off due to flashpoint at least 

Asked about Wally West and his family, DiDio said "there are no plans for Wally West in the 'Flash,'" because that series is about the "uniqueness of who [Barry Allen] is and how he moves through the world."

#36 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

After reading Flashpoint, it sure is a good thing he didn't die... However, he sure is missing nowadays...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.