Daniel "Danny" West - An homenage to Wally West.

#1 Edited by csguterres (206 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of fans talked about making Wally West the Reverse Flash. Some liked the ideia, some disliked. I personally disliked. Wally West was the Flash when I started reading comics, and he was the Flash I first knew from Justice League Unlimited. He is not the Reverse Flash. And demoting him back to Kid Flash would be like making Dick Grayson Robin again, it's Bart's role now. Frankly, the fact that Wally is no longer the flash still bothers me. But unfortunately I don't see any space for him in the New 52, best not have him than have a screwed version of him.

But let's look to Daniel "Danny" West.

Is a West? Check.

Abusive Father? Check. (Just read The Flash #23.2 - Reverse Flash and look, Danny and Iris' father even looks a lot like Rudolph West!)

His motivation? Fix the past, to reconnect with a loved one (his sister Iris). A lot of fans said that Wally would be a villain trying to bring the old DCU back (fix the past) in order to be with his loved ones again (his wife Linda and his kids Jai and Iris).

More evidences:

Compare Manapul and Bucellato early Wally West New 52 design (they said they wanted to bring back Wally, but DC didn't let them) and Danny West current Reverse Flash design

What do you think? Do you think Wally would be a better Reverse Flash? Do you like Danny West?

#2 Edited by Black_Claw (3042 posts) - - Show Bio

Danny is cool, but I do not want Wally as a bad guy. I always had the idea that once Wally outgrows the kid flash persona, he can become his own man and have a new superhero persona (the design that you posted). Wally could essentially be the Flash's Nightwing in a sense.

#3 Posted by Dernman (15440 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he's a homage. I think he's Wally's ancestor. They still haven't denied it so I still think that's Wally West in JLA 30000.

#4 Posted by csguterres (206 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

I don't think he's a homage. I think he's Wally's ancestor. They still haven't denied it so I still think that's Wally West in JLA 30000.

According to this, Giffen said it's not him:

http://speedforce.org/2013/07/wally-not-in-jl3k/

- And, honestly, if it is to bring Wally back without Linda, the twins, and his backstory as Barry's sucessor, reinventing his story from scratch, it's better just create a new character instead.

#5 Posted by Dernman (15440 posts) - - Show Bio

@csguterres: The whole point of the reboot was to set these characters to an earlier point. So if he did come back it should be without them. Now if he was JLA 30000 he could have had all of that. But I guess that's not going to happen unless they change their mind.

#6 Posted by The_Tree (7864 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm totally glad that didn't happen.

As much as I'd like Wally back (he is my favorite Flash after all) I'd rather not have him at all than to have him come back f###ed up beyond all recognition.

#7 Edited by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

Danny sHould be tHe Reverse FlasH. Wally sHould become an new hero, Flashback or something.

-m3th.O.D.-

#8 Edited by csguterres (206 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_tree said:

I'm totally glad that didn't happen.

As much as I'd like Wally back (he is my favorite Flash after all) I'd rather not have him at all than to have him come back f###ed up beyond all recognition.

I second that.

Wally as a villain would be like Superboy Prime all over again.

#9 Posted by daredevil21134 (12352 posts) - - Show Bio

I still can't believe they haven't used him yet

#10 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1590 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: I really thought Wally and Donna and maybe Tempest would've been back by now.

#11 Posted by batpala (339 posts) - - Show Bio

@crazyscarecrow: It's not surprising since Dan has a huge hatred of legacy characters and would get rid of Dick Grayson if he could get away with it. [And he's already tried; he was meant to die in Infinite Crisis while Chemo doused Bludhaven in radiation]

#12 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1590 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1683 posts) - - Show Bio

He's probably the closest thing we'll get to Wally for a while...and that's very very sad.

#14 Posted by BeyondTheSpeedForce (16 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.