Follow

Vulcan

Character » Vulcan appears in 327 issues.

The forgotten third Summers brother, he was raised by the Shi'ar as a slave after the murder of his mother and later became a tyrannical emperor. He is an Omega-level mutant with the ability to manipulate all known forms of energy.

vulcan: a ruined character

Avatar image for emperorvulcan432
    emperorvulcan432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By emperorvulcan432

when we first layed our eyed upon Gabriel Summers aka Vulcan, we thought to ourselves "What an amazing character", because he was new, exciting and full of potential. Than when we lead into the middle-end of the emperor vulcan series we started to say "Vulcan starting to act like a little brat with too much power" but i could deal with that but when the War of Kings started his character momentum just dropped down the hill, we didnt like him anymore, he acted as if he were like Anakin Skywalker. They totally ruined this character and you might asked me what might have i wanted to happen to this character? well i say there are some different choices. He couldve took hold of himself and awakened to who he really is and joined his brothers side or he couldve of fought to the end and they couldve had it where he was confronted by havok and blackbolt and was turned to the good side because face it at the beginning i would say that vulcan fit in on the evil side like Hitler but now they totally screwed him up and made him a common evil ruler who crazed for power (which im really tired of) and he died in the end like all others. I do believe that Vulcan will return to the comics in time but where will he lie in this totally changed universe. So my question to you guys is what do you thinkwill happen to Vulcan IF he is brought back?
    LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By LT1085

I'd love to see Vulcan and Sentry in limbo together playing chess to pass the time until they are inevitably retconned and brought back. I could fill at least one full issue on that premise alone.

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By CellphoneGirl
    @emperorvulcan432: When did he die?
    emperorvulcan432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By emperorvulcan432

id rather see him in the fault trying to ezcape along with blackbolt. and why did u pick sentry? sentry is 50 times more powerful than vulcan

emperorvulcan432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By emperorvulcan432
    @xxCellPhoneGirlxx:

war of kings #6 he died
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @LT1085 said:
    " I'd love to see Vulcan and Sentry in limbo together playing chess to pass the time until they are inevitably retconned and brought back. I could fill at least one full issue on that premise alone. "
    LMAO. And Carnage keeps flipping the chess board over. xD
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @LT1085 said:
    " I'd love to see Vulcan and Sentry in limbo together playing chess to pass the time until they are inevitably retconned and brought back. I could fill at least one full issue on that premise alone. "
    I'd buy that comic. It would be hilarious.
    emperorvulcan432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By emperorvulcan432
    @InnerVenom123:

ahahahahahahhahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahaha
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @emperorvulcan432 said:
    " id rather see him in the fault trying to ezcape along with blackbolt. and why did u pick sentry? sentry is 50 times more powerful than vulcan "
    Vulcan might be stronger. Let's look at this:

Vulcan was killed by, basically, a galaxy destroying bomb (or was it planet destroying? I don't remember. I hated WoK, though)
    Sentry (actually, the Void) was brought down by a helicarrier.

So if you look at that, Vulcan is stronger.
    emperorvulcan432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By emperorvulcan432

actually sentry was jus killed by the thor. and vulcanis only mutant and sentry is stronger,faster,and morepowerful. sentry can control molecules better than molecule man. no way vulcan could beat sentry
    emperorvulcan432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By emperorvulcan432
    @JediXMan: 
    actually sentry was jus killed by the thor. and vulcanis only mutant and sentry is stronger,faster,and morepowerful. sentry can control molecules better than molecule man. no way vulcan could beat sentry    
    emperorvulcan432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By emperorvulcan432

i think that was jus one of those bullsh*t writing moments
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By John Valentine
    @emperorvulcan432 said:
    " i think that was jus one of those bullsh*t writing moments "
    What? Seasoned X-Men taking down an inexperienced, emotional wreck of a character?
    Dark Cloud™

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dark Cloud™

Vulcan was a great character when we were first exposed to him. I agree, he become a huge pain in the ass and a brat full of pride and power. Marvel needs to realize how to build characters, rather than give templates powers and just shove them into any story and expect them to be liked.

NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By NexusOfLight

I kinda liked him. He was funny.

emperorvulcan432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By emperorvulcan432
    @John Valentine:
    havok dont even have that much power,only reason they won is becus of vulcan lack of experience and also Havok wasnt forced into age, he grew up with his powers, vulcan was pushed in one of those shiar aging machines, just think how different his life would have been if he grew through the years with his strong powers and actually knew how to use them."you can light as many matches as you want, but really counts is what you use each match to burn something up in flames"
    @Dark Cloud™:
    exactly 

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By John Valentine
    @emperorvulcan432 said:
    " @John Valentine: havok dont even have that much power,only reason they won is becus of vulcan lack of experience and also Havok wasnt forced into age, he grew up with his powers, vulcan was pushed in one of those shiar aging machines, just think how different his life would have been if he grew through the years with his strong powers and actually knew how to use them."you can light as many matches as you want, but really counts is what you use each match to burn something up in flames"@Dark Cloud™: exactly   "
    Well.... that's who Vulcan is. So that's irrelevant and, actually, Havok is pretty damn powerful. At the end of Kingmaker he beat down Vulcan....FACT.
    kerukun878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kerukun878

Well... Vulcan was likely a great villain, but let's put up fact to fact here.

Can there be a third Summers brother without problem? No.
    Can the villain win? No.
    Is the Grey-Summers family tree messed up enough already? Yes.
    Was he killed in a murder-suicide by Black Bolt? Yes.
    Was he the strongest mutant? NO.

So; either way, he would've been stopped when the Phoenix intervened if the Beyonder didn't first.

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Gylan Thomas

I didn't think "what an amazing character" .
    I thought, here's an over powered character who's gonna lose steam 'cause he just aint interesting enough to keep goin'. And they just killed off one of my favourite B list muties to show just how bad @$$ he is :(

I hope I never lay eyes on him again.
    Sorry

Avatar image for crimsonalchemist
    CrimsonAlchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CrimsonAlchemist

I hope he come back and with a hug body count at that.

GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By GREGalicious

I thought the whole Deadly Genesis storyline was a waste of characters. Out of the four "missing X-Men", only one remains (Darwin) and i dont really find him all that interesting yet. Im thinking i wouldve rather the two girls, (Petra and Sway) had survived just to see where they would be right now...

Avatar image for crimsonspider89
    crimsonspider89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By crimsonspider89

I liked his personality. The OP brat was interesting. And Vulcan can manipulate all energy and reform at will. Pretty sure that makes him stronger than Sentry considering the universe is full of energy floating around due to chemical reactions. What would be interesting is if he robbed the Surfer or Jean Grey of there respective powers. And yes, he could. PF is psionic energy and power cosmic is a power source.

nj06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By nj06
    @Dark Cloud™ said:

" Vulcan was a great character when we were first exposed to him. I agree, he become a huge pain in the ass and a brat full of pride and power. Marvel needs to realize how to build characters, rather than give templates powers and just shove them into any story and expect them to be liked. "

I agree with this. I for the most part enjoyed Vulcan up until War of Kings where his personality was just too much for me to deal with. If he is brought back, and he stays a villain, I want more character depth. We know how powerful he is already so there is no real need to hype that up. Instead they should build more on his personality/characterization. He has the potential to be a cosmic threat, so I think we should see him as a capable/convincing villain in terms of both his power and his motivation. We know he is angry and all that, but I wish it were shown in a more creative way.

Now I would really like him to become a good guy too. Or at the very least an anti-hero. However, with all the death on his hands I really think its going to be hard for any writer to redeem Vulcan or come up with a reason as to why we as readers should accept him as a potential hero/anti-villain. If it were up to me, I would have never made him emperor of the Shi'ar. Instead I would have made him become a good guy after his first fight with the Imperial Guard and he would have joined his father's team. Then his dad would have been killed and he would have been the new leader of the Starjammers, an outlaw group once gain being hunted by Gladiator and rest of the Imperial Guard for D'Ken. War of Kings should of had D'Ken vs. Black Bolt, with Vulcan heelping the others try and stop D'Ken. Then I would have eventually had him join the Annihilators as the team rookie/hot-head.
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By TheCrowbar

He's Marvel's answer to Captain "I'm going to kill you to death,"

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.