Follow

Voodoo

Character » Voodoo appears in 282 issues.

While her teammates are Kherubim or half-Kherubim, Voodoo has ancestry both Kheran and Daemonite, the race the WildC.A.T.S fight against.

VOODOO Interview With Writer Joshua Williamson

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

One of the more controversial titles coming out of the DC Universe has been VOODOO, which up until recently was being written by former WITCHBLADE writer Ron Marz. Recently, however, DC revealed that Marz was going off the title and that writer Joshua Williamson would be taking over. Following our brief interview with Williamson yesterday regarding his new DC miniseries based on the UNCHARTED video game franchise, we caught up with the writer and asked him about the direction he will be taking the former Wildstorm Universe character beginning with issue #6 of her current ongoing series. Check out the full interview below.

No Caption Provided

Comic Vine: You've stated that you'll be taking VOODOO into a whole new direction, can you tell us how?

Joshua Williamson: Our focus was to introduce more action to the book but maintain what had come before. Just move the story along and testing Voodoo’s faith in her beliefs and mission. It’s still going to keep the spy and espionage aspects, and Voodoo’s main mission that was introduced in issue one, but something is going to happen in issue five that will take Voodoo on a new path. She was given this important mission to gather intel on Earth’s heroes, but she never really asked “why?” She was just a soldier following orders…I’m not saying that she is going to be a traitor and betray her kind… but now she wants answers.

== TEASER ==

No Caption Provided

CV: What is it about VOODOO that interests you?

JW: The conflict. The idea that she rides the fence of being a hero and a villain. In a lot of ways she just looks at herself like a soldier for the Daemonite cause but is learning that it isn’t so black and white.

What I found to be intriguing was the idea of this woman who initially had a strong sense of identity, but is now questioning that identity. That wrapped up in the metaphor of her being shapeshifter is very well done.

Also, I was a big Wildstorm and Wildcats fan, so getting a chance to work with those characters is amazing.

CV: What direction will you be taking the character?

JW: Forward. Voodoo opened with the idea that Voodoo could be a hero or a villain. We’re going to be continuing that conflict and take it to some dark places.

So far she has been learning little bits of humanity through what she has seen and almost through osmosis… But has it really set in or just a side effect of her telepathic powers?

Using action and drama, we want to push Voodoo to make the choice: Is she a hero or a villain? How will the Daemonites and heroes of Earth see her?

But the real question and the one that matters is… how does she herself?

CV: Do you plan on integrating other members of the DCU into your book?

JW: 100% yes. As much as they’ll let me. Mostly other “EDGE” characters… like Grifter and Stormwatch for now… but wow, if they’d let me take Voodoo to Gotham, I’d be a very happy writer.

What do you think of Williamson's direction for the character? What do you think of the recent changes of the creative teams of many DC books? Are you looking forward to Williamson's direction on VOODOO?

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By jsphsmth

Hate to see one of the weaker selling titles of the 52 getting a change like this. Hope that the new guy does as good a job as Marz. Hopefully he is the next Scott Snyder.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mercy_

I'm right on the cusp of pulling this. If the story continues to impress, I most certainly will.

Meteor_VII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Meteor_VII

Never read anything with Voodoo in it before the new 52 and I really like what they have done so far. As long as they keep me guessing about the character being good or evil or just out for herself then i will keep reading.

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Or35ti

The art is still looking phenomenal. Voodoo is actually a great character and in my opinion, the biggest New 52 surprise. Awesome nonetheless, and this guy sounds cool

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By ReVamp

Ah... Voodoo, whert is thy Spartan.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Bestostero

@ReVamp said:

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I've never really been into Voodoo as a character, but I've never known why. You'd think that a sexy lady who used to do work as a stripper would appeal to my inner-13yo, but she's never clicked with me. And I'm a big Emma Frost fan. Though, I do love that picture of her in the suit and the bloodstained FBI I.D.

I certainly hope if does well for him since he cares for this character. It will be interesting to see how Wildstorm characters are integrated with other DC characters.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Voodoo in Gotham? Wow that would sure make an interesting crossover in this New 52 were it to happen!

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#9  Edited By pspin

This seems like a good title to pick up in trade, I'll have to look into that when the time comes

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jsphsmth

@FoxxFireArt: New origin for a new 52. She was using the stripclub to gather intellignece from a nearby military base. Great cover to get close to a lot of military personel to read their minds. I love how Marz kept the stripper aspect, but made it work with the new origin.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BatteredArmor

I,m wary about changes to such a great book but this guy has some interesting ideas so I'll give it a shot

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Nasar7

I don't think we need more action. The pacing has been perfect so far. I love that it's more about her outwitting her pursuers as she continues her spy mission. Also I don't think she needs to question herself just yet. We need more time getting to know her for that to have a meaningful impact on her character.

ScarlettLynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By ScarlettLynn

I've loved the book so far under Ron Marz. I'll keep with it to give it a shot but it feels like one of the most unnecessary changes they've made since the relaunch.

Roldan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Roldan

@jsphsmth said:

Hate to see one of the weaker selling titles of the 52 getting a change like this. Hope that the new guy does as good a job as Marz. Hopefully he is the next Scott Snyder.

Well he was in this article called "8 Comic Scribes to Put on Your Radar".

Which should give him an interesting edge. He did do also Superman/ Batman 77 which was one of best one-shot issues last year.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By jrock85

I was really bummed to hear about Marz's departure but Mr. Williamson seems like he has a good handle on the character.

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Om1kron

will have to keep reading voodoo to make a formal opinion. 

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By doordoor123

I'm going to cry when marz is gone from this book

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Eyz

I really like the idea that they'll have her facing Green Lantern in a few, and that of all things it will be Kyle Rayner for once and not the usual Hal Jordan crossover.

Lorialet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lorialet

I really liked WildCATS and Voodoo in the Wildstorm universe and I was horrified when I saw what they did to the character in the new 52. I love the art, the story isn't that bad, but I just can't get behind the whole daemonite spy background they gave her. All they kept from the old Voodoo is har Daemonite heritage, I don't even know if she's still part kherubim or if Kherubim exist in the DCU.

I sincerely hope things will improve. It looks like the story will once again be somewhat about the struggle for self-discovery that made the character appealing to me.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jsphsmth

@Roldan: That article did give me hope for him taking over Voodoo.

The article also listed JT Krul and Sterling Gates. Their work on the New 52 hasn't been great, so I left the article wondering about the selection criteria and validity.

S/B 77 was interesting. If you look at his bibliography, you can count the work he has done for DC and Marvel on one hand, so it is hard to draw a conclusion from that one issue.

Regardless, I am sticking with Voodoo.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21  Edited By kennybaese

Was Marz doing any other DC books? This is a double bummer if not.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jsphsmth

@walkingcarpet: No, not with DC.

wargod332

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By wargod332

the covers are HOT!

dannymalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dannymalt

Never heard of Voodoo before New 52, and I tried it, and it is one of the books I most look forward to now. Although I don't understand why change writers so soon. If you have a good thing going, why mess with the formula?

CODYSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CODYSF

@ReVamp said:

this

Roldan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Roldan

@jsphsmth said:

@Roldan: That article did give me hope for him taking over Voodoo.

The article also listed JT Krul and Sterling Gates. Their work on the New 52 hasn't been great, so I left the article wondering about the selection criteria and validity.

S/B 77 was interesting. If you look at his bibliography, you can count the work he has done for DC and Marvel on one hand, so it is hard to draw a conclusion from that one issue.

Regardless, I am sticking with Voodoo.

Well i wouldn't call Sterling and Krul bad writers. Krul had a great run on Teen Titans and so did Sterling on Supergirl. Sterling's also part of the Kirby Genesis team and Krul has gotten a better start on Captain Atom then his Green Arrow.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.