Is she black?

#1 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

What race is she? She has dark skin, but many artists don't give her "black" features.

#2 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

From all accounts she's an African American women. Also, I've noticed most artists don't give African American female characters truly ethnic features unless they're supposed to be "Soul Sistah!!!" characters. It's rather annoying to see Greg land and others draw storm as a chocolate dipped, white haired barbie.

#3 Posted by _slim_ (13075 posts) - - Show Bio

What exactly are "black features" anyway?

#4 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33469 posts) - - Show Bio

last time I checked she was alien 

#5 Posted by _slim_ (13075 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup.

#6 Posted by cracker_jack (220 posts) - - Show Bio

She's hot! That's what matters.

#7 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

5 ReVamp points.

#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33469 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

5 ReVamp points.

Yesssss, those are the best kind of points!
#9 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio
@_slim_ said:

Black people tend to have wider noses than other races. They can actually determine what race remains are by the width of the nose when all the skin and tissue is gone.
#10 Posted by SoA (4838 posts) - - Show Bio

i always thought she was a lil more exotic with a name like Priscilla Kitaen , i remeber her speaking some spanglish , maybe half spanish half black?

#11 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly thought they drew her more as a latina, atleast in the DCnU.

#12 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrinceIMC said:

@_slim_ said:

Black people tend to have wider noses than other races. They can actually determine what race remains are by the width of the nose when all the skin and tissue is gone.

This is true.

#13 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4733 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread actually pisses me off. Good job.

#14 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

5 ReVamp points.

Yeah, they get you cookies, free Cinema tickets and closer to achieving the power of the Dark Side.

#15 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33469 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

5 ReVamp points.

Yeah, they get you cookies, free Cinema tickets and closer to achieving the power of the Dark Side.

And when I become the nexus of the Dark Side all the cookies WILL BE MINE!!
#16 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

5 ReVamp points.

No. Then you'll be my decoy, gathering all the cookies, unbeknownst to you that I'm stealing them all from you as I control all the ReVamp points in existence.

#17 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33469 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

5 ReVamp points.

No. Then you'll be my decoy, gathering all the cookies, unbeknownst to you that I'm stealing them all from you as I control all the ReVamp points in existence.

#18 Posted by theking28 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

she looks like a puerto rican

#19 Posted by _slim_ (13075 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrinceIMC said:

@_slim_ said:

So she doesn't have a big enough nose.

Gotcha.

#20 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio
@_slim_ said:

@PrinceIMC said:

@_slim_ said:

Gotcha.

There are other factors, but the nose is one example.
#21 Posted by The Stegman (24452 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly thought she was Spanish

#22 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

Half alien Half human, I assumed the human half was Latina but everyone always assumes shes black so I don't know. At this point all I know is

@cracker_jack said:

#23 Posted by _slim_ (13075 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrinceIMC said:

@_slim_ said:

@PrinceIMC said:

@_slim_ said:

Gotcha.

Such as?

#24 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Half alien Half human

what?

seriously, does nobody know anything about Voodoo...she's not any human race, for one thing she's a shapeshifter so she can look like whatever race she wants but for another she's a combination of two warring alien species (one of which is blue, the bad guys, and the other is white, the good guys of course)

#25 Edited by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost: Reboot, she supposedly had a human parent now they tracked her record in # 4 or 5, I don't have acess to my comics at the moment so I can't check which, her human mother died in a fire and she went missing supposedly taken by the aliens. At least this is what we've been lead to believe so far. In fact she's actually a clone as well

#26 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor: you know what, that's my bad, you're correct, she does have human ancestry...I knew she had both alien species as ancestors and kind of assumed you could only have two different species involved, I guess I don't understand comic science :P

#27 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost: Yeah I don't get it either, especially with the whole clone thing they just threw in, I'm not completely sure what Voodoo is supposed to be now

#28 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio
@_slim_ said:

@PrinceIMC said:

@_slim_ said:

@PrinceIMC said:

@_slim_ said:

Gotcha.

Such as?

Well I'm not well versed in the science but a quick google search pointed out a few things. The shape of the top of the skull tends to be flatter with white people while more pointed with black people, a white person's jaw protrudes out more, the point between the eyes where the nose starts is also narrower with white people than with black people. I think you'll agree the shape of the head, position of the jaw, width of nose and width of the bone between the eyes alter a person's facial features greatly.
#29 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

In the DCnU, she was born human and then genetically engineered into a Daemonite hybrid. So yes, she's an African-American (Louisiana Creole).

And...

@cracker_jack said:

#30 Posted by _slim_ (13075 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol.

I love it.

#31 Posted by Paracelsus (1646 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say, yes pretty much so- at least as much as Barack Obama- although he's way fairer than she is!

Terry

#32 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh. I had also heard that maybe she's Indian.

#33 Posted by anyauribe (9 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonesDeini:LMAO, Agreed!

#34 Posted by muppeteat (3 posts) - - Show Bio

She is and has always been of mixed race. Her mother was Black her father was hinted at being white, and abusive in the old Wildcats continuity. Add to that the fact she's part Keribum and Demonight, and well, there you have it. She is also the best thing DC has going for them in my opinion.

#35 Edited by ReddKnave (62 posts) - - Show Bio

@sesquipedalophobe said:

This thread actually pisses me off. Good job.

Oh, then let's everybody change the subject, cuz we don't want that. No really, give me a couple seconds to give a $#!+...

I mean it's only natural for people to seek out characters that they identify with, racially or otherwise. Black, gay, Latino, Indian, everybody likes to see themselves represented (hopefully in a positive way) in their favorite medium. And statements like "just because the character is Black/gay/Latino/etc. doesn't mean you're gonna identify with them" or "I'm not Latino but there are Latino characters I identify with" is b.s. when 95% of characters are White, and when you have public outcry when people find out a "dark-skinned" character in their favorite book is actually Black citing that they can't identify with a Black character. The fact that people get so childish and scared when the topic of race comes up is the main reason it needs to come up more, because it's discussions like these that have the potential to be educational. With everything else on these forums we can't talk about the race of a character? Ignorance shows with the type of quotes getting backed up on this thread and yet PrinceIMC is the one getting the brow beating.

Anyway, my humble opinion... with dark skin and a name like Voodoo it should hardly be in question that she's at least part Black, considering it's a religion practiced by Africans, Haitians, and Louisiana blacks. And all Black people don't have the same facial features, just like every other race. You're probably referring to West African features which are predominate in America because of the slave trade, but the Africans brought to America weren't all West Africans. And features of West Africans differ from peoples of the west, east, south etc. all of whom would be considered "Black".

#36 Edited by sesquipedalophobe (4733 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReddKnave: What are black traits, again? As far as I know, she's an alien. But thanks for the 3xtr3m3! response.

#37 Posted by Onemoreposter (4054 posts) - - Show Bio

She's an alien. However, if she takes matches up with a race here on earth I'd have to say it'ed be Indian what with the green eyes and more caucasian features. I'd say that would be the best bet.

#38 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Dan Didio himself said she's 'Mixed African American and Bisexual'.

Besides, think about it. VOODOO. Voodoo is African Black Magic. But if you guys want to keep denying, then go right on ahead. She's partially black with one of her parents (presumably her father) being a Daemonite disguised as a Human.

#39 Posted by Kid_Omega_Prime (1254 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought Voodoo was hyspanic ?

#40 Edited by ReddKnave (62 posts) - - Show Bio

@sesquipedalophobe:

You should ask someone who drank at a "Colored" fountain in the 30's what Black traits are, it didn't take much at all then.

There were times when it only took 1 drop of Black blood to be Black. I don't think there is any one answer, if you ask me

(Oh, I guess you did) I'd say someone with recent African ancestry who socially and culturally identifies as Black.

If you read the end of my other post, the argument I make is that there are no specific "black" traits.

Maybe a range, though.

#41 Posted by tamerafox (20 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33 said:

What race is she? She has dark skin, but many artists don't give her "black" features.

Yes.

#42 Posted by TDK_1997 (14896 posts) - - Show Bio

She has to be an african american I think.

#43 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

It is a fact that there are racial traits in bone structure, particularly the face. It isn't racist to point out something that is used in forensic science. But also with the number of people coming from mixed-race backgrounds there are more varieties of these racial traits but they're still there.....just sayin',

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.