Vinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Vinny

The Good

Sami Basri delivers another gorgeous issue. His pencils continue to blow me away and his ability to capture emotion, action and movement in each of his panels is incredible. Williamson definitely leans on Basri and uses his abilities to tell the story -- something evident in the various action scenes in this issue.

Williamson may not be crafting a story the way I want him to, but he's not writing a bad story. There is plenty of suspense in this issue (even before you get to that crazy last page) and that's, essentially, what will keep you reading the book. Every corner there is a new surprise mainly due to the recklessness of Voodoo's character. What will her next move be? What will she do next? She's unpredictable and that can sometimes be a double edged sword. It adds to the element of surprise that will surely keep readers interested, but it takes away from the story because it makes her a very inconsistent character.

The Bad

Okay, so let me get this straight. Voodoo (the clone) spends at least two pages showing remorse and feeling guilty for having to destroy the "failed" clones created by the Daemonites, ("I feel their grief. sadness...We are so like") but then she kills them all. Then when the Daemonites ask her "hey, do you want a job?" she -- without hesitation -- accepts? Really? After all of that? This character is becoming profusely difficult to understand, and sympathize with. But I am guessing maybe that's the point.

When Voodoo was first released there was a lot of controversy surrounding the character. She was both a stripper and an undercover agent. Also an alien. She spends an entire page in the first issue stripping. People filed complaints, and maybe the publisher listened. So the fix? Make the character we saw in the first issue a clone, and then turn her into a villain. It's harder to sympathize with a character that is initially introduced as a trollop/horrible/evil/murdereress who eventually reforms than it is to just make her a clone of a nicer/more reserved/innocent character. Now, it's not my job to tell DC what to publish, but I thought making the original Voodoo a clone, have her go on this crazy killing spree, and then after they show her depict some remorse, have her side with the guys who were trying to mess with her in the first place was kind of weak sauce. But that's just me. Basically, my issue with Voodoo is that as a character she feels inconsistent. The reader begins her series rallying for her, but by issue #7 they rally against her. That's a really big change in the direction of the character.

The Verdict

I really like it when a comic keeps me at the edge of my seat and keeps me guessing. Where the characterizations are strong and consistent and where a solid story is backed by fantastic art. Voodoo continues to have most of these bases covered. Sami Basri continues to deliver some truly phenomenal work, the comic does leave me guessing (mainly because Voodoo is such a tremendously loose canon) and the characters are unexpected. While I may not like the direction the book is moving in, I am certainly interested in seeing what will happen next.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By BatteredArmor

Picked this up, but if isn't blow my mind amazing this book is dropped

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By animehunter

I have to agree with the review regarding the inconsistency of Voodoo (Clone), since the first issue I have been following her story with anticipation, but now reading issue 7, I'm not so sure. It feels like voodoo has done a 180 with her role and is becoming a supporting character and Priscilla is taking over the main role.

Also I really do feel the way they had Voodoo (Clone) accept the new position was all wrong, I mean she spends the the last couple of issues trying to figure herself out and fighting against the people who created her and try to kill her and she just accepts it. I'm sorry but that to me just tells me that they wanted get rid of her as quickly as possible in order to bring in Priscella, THIS JUST DOES NOT MAKE SENSE TO ME.

They might as well just started from this point, because to me this issue simply puts all previous issues out of context and simply doesn't make anymore sense.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By SoA

besides the needless complicated story like u explained my big problem with this issue is the death of a certain character . for the sake of spoilers i won't say the characters name but i liked the individuals powers and thought the design of the character was also cool

umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By umbrafeline

best new 52 title ever :-)

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

This series started with such a charismatic allure of mystery, now it's just cheesy sci-fi action and plot holes.

Avatar image for thenexusrebound
    thenexusrebound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By thenexusrebound

To be fair though Voodoo said she almost felt sorry for the clones. She refereed to them as imperfect and mistakes that she had to rectify. Also she is an empath so she would feel for their sorrow. Through out the story she has also proven she is not above self preservation. I think the other problem is trying to get the Wildstorm characters to fit in with traditional DC so most likely there are going to be growing pains. I look forward to seeing next moths issue.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By jrock85

There is no reason for this book to be at the bottom of the sales chart. Its got everything a good comic needs.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

@thenexusrebound said:

To be fair though Voodoo said she almost felt sorry for the clones. She refereed to them as imperfect and mistakes that she had to rectify. Also she is an empath so she would feel for their sorrow. Through out the story she has also proven she is not above self preservation. I think the other problem is trying to get the Wildstorm characters to fit in with traditional DC so most likely there are going to be growing pains. I look forward to seeing next moths issue.

That's exactly the problem. She says she feels sorry for them, but she doesn't really show it. She butchers them without hesitation, and doesn't even linger a moment after they're dead. And THEN she accepts the new orders of the masters who MADE the clones she felt sorry for.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jsphsmth

I have serious doubts about how long this comic will last. Marz's departure was a deathblow.

I am glad to see that Grifter is becoming a team book of sorts (as he leads a resistance group against the Daemonites) I hope that means that Voodoo will find a home there after her comic gets cancelled.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.