The First Lantern...

#1 Posted by DarkKnight96000 (730 posts) - - Show Bio

Have any clue/hints be dropped as to his identity?

#2 Posted by Skunkstein (591 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnight96000: Nothing but ''Volthoom-- The first lantern-- Will have his revenge''. So we know his name is Volthoom. He seems pretty dangerous aswell, i bet his very handsome.

#3 Posted by Happenstance (11 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems pretty odd that now that we know his name we know that we dont already know him so what was the point of keeping his identity secret to begin with? I have to assume there is more to it. I kept wondering if it was going to be Kyle somehow sent back in time and becoming the first Lantern, as we know he's always been special.

#4 Posted by FanofUltraman (153 posts) - - Show Bio

It's interesting because Volthoom was a very different character pre-New 52.

#5 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@FanofUltraman said:

It's interesting because Volthoom was a very different character pre-New 52.

Who was he/her/it?

#6 Posted by FanofUltraman (153 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise: Prepare yourself, it gets meta. Power Ring

#7 Posted by GrandSymbiote94 (11698 posts) - - Show Bio

@FanofUltraman said:

#8 Posted by JonSmith (4007 posts) - - Show Bio

The options are many. Here's a few theories I find likely:

A time displaced Kyle Rayner. In order to preserve his power for the Lanterns, the Guardians locked him in a prison from which there is no escape: Including death. Effectively making him ageless while inside. Despite this, his mind was only human. Eventually, he forgot who he was, and the Guardians designated him Volthoom for whatever reason. He assumed this to have always been his name since he can remember no different.

If it's NOT a time traveler, then it's tricky. because in the Pre52, the various Lanterns were born of the Entities which embodied their respective emotion and color. These Entities, in turn, were born from the first time their respective emotion was felt. If we assume, as we must given the evidence, that Volthoom is the first Lantern, and apparently, judging by his color scheme, embodies ALL the emotions, we're left wondering which came first? Him, or the Entities? If the Entities came first, then he would have had to master their power to be designated the first Lantern. Perhaps when the Manhunter's failed, Volthoom came forth, having learned under each of the entities, and taught the Guardians how to create Lanterns from an emotion.

If that's the case, the Guardians locked him up afterwards. Having sworn off emotion, the physical embodiment of ALL emotions would not just be a criminal, his very existence would be an affront to all they uphold.

Now let's try to flip it around: Did Volthoom somehow create the Entities in the New 52, and thus create all emotion in the universe? If THAT'S the case, then his existence is even more an affront to the Guardians: He's the reason the entire universe isn't as 'orderly' as they are. But it begs the question how he did it. If he is the embodiment of all emotion, how could he create emotion in the universe, it having not existed before him? Chicken, egg, etc.

Granted, it's nearly 1:00 in the morning so most of this stuff is just me rambling, most likely, incoherently. Apologies for wasting your time!

#9 Posted by FanofUltraman (153 posts) - - Show Bio

@GrandSymbiote94: Lol I know!!! I got really excited when they revealed his name. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!?!??!?!?!

#10 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@FanofUltraman said:

Ah, that...thats...interesting...

#11 Edited by Raw_Material (3300 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

If it's NOT a time traveler, then it's tricky. because in the Pre52, the various Lanterns were born of the Entities which embodied their respective emotion and color. These Entities, in turn, were born from the first time their respective emotion was felt. If we assume, as we must given the evidence, that Volthoom is the first Lantern, and apparently, judging by his color scheme, embodies ALL the emotions, we're left wondering which came first? Him, or the Entities? If the Entities came first, then he would have had to master their power to be designated the first Lantern. Perhaps when the Manhunter's failed, Volthoom came forth, having learned under each of the entities, and taught the Guardians how to create Lanterns from an emotion.

If that's the case, the Guardians locked him up afterwards. Having sworn off emotion, the physical embodiment of ALL emotions would not just be a criminal, his very existence would be an affront to all they uphold.

Now let's try to flip it around: Did Volthoom somehow create the Entities in the New 52, and thus create all emotion in the universe? If THAT'S the case, then his existence is even more an affront to the Guardians: He's the reason the entire universe isn't as 'orderly' as they are. But it begs the question how he did it. If he is the embodiment of all emotion, how could he create emotion in the universe, it having not existed before him? Chicken, egg, etc.

Granted, it's nearly 1:00 in the morning so most of this stuff is just me rambling, most likely, incoherently. Apologies for wasting your time!

This theory might be the case. Not sure, but we'll find out in the next crossover, the "Wrath of the First Lantern" most likely.

#12 Posted by COBRAMORPH (1610 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

He probly was an uber Lantern whose ring can use all the colors. Since, like the Indigo Corp, he could be taken over by each emotion as he used its powers, so the Guardians lock him up, just in case, & create a stripped down power ring that just uses the green light, as they deemed it the most stable of the 7 colors.

The question is, how does Ekron figure in?

#13 Posted by DarkKnight96000 (730 posts) - - Show Bio

New Question is Volthoom an entirely new character or is he an updated character the pre-52 dc universe.

#14 Posted by highaccuser (7927 posts) - - Show Bio
@JonSmith said:

If the Entities came first, then he would have had to master their power to be designated the first Lantern. Perhaps when the Manhunter's failed, Volthoom came forth, having learned under each of the entities, and taught the Guardians how to create Lanterns from an emotion.

I hope this theroy is true, because it will mean the entities finally reappear. 

Couple things you're not addressing. The guardians say he likes to torture souls. You can say this is just their perspective as you say he made emotion, but Geoff Jones says different things. He says the first lantern can strip pass all memory and view how a person could be better. This does somewhat support your theroy though.   
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu39/blogofoa/Comic%20Reviews/GL_6_Vision.jpg 
As you can see there, another white ring will come into play. Could that be the first lantern's? probably not. Another thing, the first thing volthoom does when he is freed is vow to destroy the corps. The embodiment/master/creator of emotions you believe he is, i dont think he really wants to destroy the corps which use his power. He really does act quite insane. 
Also, he seems to have some power over death, as he uses the book of black to pull Simon and B'dg to the chamber of shadows. 
#15 Edited by Raw_Material (3300 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude, there's a bunch of 'em!

And There Was More...

Nahh, I'm jus kidding these are The Strangers from that one movie, Knowing starring Nicholas Cage. But don't they almost look exactly like Volthoom?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.