Follow

Vixen

Character » Vixen appears in 874 issues.

Mari Jiwe McCabe, better known as Vixen, is a successful fashion icon, talk show host, animal activist and superhero who is able to channel the powers of any animal that has walked or evolved on Earth through the mystical object given to her ancestor by the god Anansi called the Tantu totem.

ED Benes artwork of Vixen

• 113 results
    Blazing Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Blazing Eagle
    Blazing Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Blazing Eagle

Has anybody notice lately since ED Benes took over the artwork in Justice League of America how big Vixen's breasts look? Oh my gosh she looks like she augmentation surgery done. Well here being a model n all I am not surprise.

With all that aside I like what he done to her face, she appears more innocent looking. Reference Justice League of America #19.

zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By zero edge

It's the same for all his female characters

LordOfFate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By LordOfFate

It's true, all his women are well endowed.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    *Raise you hand if you tired of people b#tchin about the way female characters look*

They have been doing this since the 90's get over it.
    Blazing Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Blazing Eagle

I could B#tch if I want to Vance Astro that's what the forum is for.

The 502 Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By The 502 Kid

doesnt bother me in the slightest

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By speedlgt

In all fairness his wok is solid and not nearly as trashy as others.

yeah the women are perhaps excessive but thats how it is in comics

Blazing Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Blazing Eagle

well i for one like it because it seems to fit her charcter being a successful model and alll. I'm just making an observation. I know excessive, I'd think Red monika or broadsword comics is deffinitly excessive compared to ED Benes work, he makes the females look gorgeous, just look at their faces.

The 502 Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By The 502 Kid

his artwork is great though one of my favorite artist!!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Airstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Airstrike
    B.E.Benes has been doing the artwork since the beginning of this run, his artwork is fantastic!  But I have to say the series is suffering a little since inker Sandra Hope has left!  Her last issue was #19 and I think if you compare 21-23 to those earlier issues you will see what I am talking about.  I am assume it is her missing talent that has downgraded the artwork a bit because that is the only change I can see.  I still claim this as my favorite title (reminds me of the old Avengers).  I do like the new Titan series (artwork is fantastic there too!
    Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Hawkingbird

You douchebag. Just because something has been going on for a while doesn't make it acceptable.

I have several problems with how he portrays Vixen. First of all, Vixen is BLACK. She is AFRICAN. She is NOT WHITE. She should have distinctly black African features. Second of all, she is a model. Large breasts are really, really rare in models. He has done some really cool covers, like JLA #24, and some awful ones, like #22 and 23. He's a talented guy who gets his work in on time and he deserves a big round of applause for that, but I can't say I'm a fan of his art. It's pure sexy sexy sexy!!! in a superhero comic.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Hawkingbird said:
    "You douchebag. Just because something has been going on for a while doesn't make it acceptable.

I have several problems with how he portrays Vixen. First of all, Vixen is BLACK. She is AFRICAN. She is NOT WHITE. She should have distinctly black African features. Second of all, she is a model. Large breasts are really, really rare in models. He has done some really cool covers, like JLA #24, and some awful ones, like #22 and 23. He's a talented guy who gets his work in on time and he deserves a big round of applause for that, but I can't say I'm a fan of his art. It's pure sexy sexy sexy!!! in a superhero comic."
    Don't be ridiculous..You honestly to expect a grown female superhero to have little boobs because she's a model.C'mon man...this is comics not real life.Have you seen Ms.Top Model..Tyra Banks lately...her boobs and ass are looking mighty voluptuous.Vixen..just like Storm is going to sometime be draw like a white woman with brown skin.Every artist doesn't know how to do different races..especially when he is trying to make a female character acceptable to an audience that is mostly made up off late teen to mid-aged white men.Benes is only doing what he knows how.Black features are almost never done right and any form of art unless drawn by black people themselves.It want until the Boondocks that black characters began to look like they are supposed to.
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By Erik
    Vance Astro said:
    "Hawkingbird said:
    "You douchebag. Just because something has been going on for a while doesn't make it acceptable.

I have several problems with how he portrays Vixen. First of all, Vixen is BLACK. She is AFRICAN. She is NOT WHITE. She should have distinctly black African features. Second of all, she is a model. Large breasts are really, really rare in models. He has done some really cool covers, like JLA #24, and some awful ones, like #22 and 23. He's a talented guy who gets his work in on time and he deserves a big round of applause for that, but I can't say I'm a fan of his art. It's pure sexy sexy sexy!!! in a superhero comic."
    Don't be ridiculous..You honestly to expect a grown female superhero to have little boobs because she's a model.C'mon man...this is comics not real life.Have you seen Ms.Top Model..Tyra Banks lately...her boobs and ass are looking mighty voluptuous.Vixen..just like Storm is going to sometime be draw like a white woman with brown skin.Every artist doesn't know how to do different races..especially when he is trying to make a female character acceptable to an audience that is mostly made up off late teen to mid-aged white men.Benes is only doing what he knows how.Black features are almost never done right and any form of art unless drawn by black people themselves.It want until the Boondocks that black characters began to look like they are supposed to."

I love that show! But yeah I agree with you. Not many artists can do black right.
    Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Ms. Invisible

If Benes is doing what he only knows, then he hasn't got a lot of range as an artist, does he?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Ms. Invisible said:
    "If Benes is doing what he only knows, then he hasn't got a lot of range as an artist, does he?"
    Obviously not...
    speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By speedlgt

oh go cry a river! complaining about race features not being drawn correctly!

#1 artists have freedom and a style.
    If you look at just about any artist they have a set of faces and expressions and posess they use all the time over and over again. This occurs because most all of comics is drawn NOT FROM OBSERVATION but from concept and refferences. Thus artists must have a arsnel of images to re use over and over thus alot of faces look the same.  Its the nature of the game even the best do it.

#2 its more about story telling than drawing! in fact its all about story telling! a stick figure drawing that tells a great story will be published before photo quality stiff images that dont tell a story .
    This guy does a good job bottom line and is drawing the flag ship team of DC so hes doing quite a bit right!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    speedlgt said:
    "

If you look at just about any artist they have a set of faces and expressions and posess they use all the time over and over again. This occurs because most all of comics is drawn NOT FROM OBSERVATION but from concept and refferences. Thus artists must have a arsnel of images to re use over and over thus alot of faces look the same.  Its the nature of the game even the best do it.

#2 its more about story telling than drawing! in fact its all about story telling! a stick figure drawing that tells a great story will be published before photo quality stiff images that dont tell a story .
    This guy does a good job bottom line and is drawing the flag ship team of DC so hes doing quite a bit right!

"
    Some people care about the art in the book more than the writing.
    speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By speedlgt
    Vance Astro said:
    "speedlgt said:
    "

"
    Some people care about the art in the book more than the writing."
    Well I am with you on that. but there must be a balance.  it all must have substance or its not a story. If some people like to look at pretty pictures than they should just google the images rather than read a story.
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Erik
    Vance Astro said:
    "speedlgt said:
    "

"
    I am one of those people. I buy some comics for the art, some for the story, and some for both. I don't care what the story is with Ed Benes runs, I would buy it. Just because someone doesn't do everything well doesn't mean he doesn't do the one thing extremely well. So yeah, Vance is right on the money here.
    speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By speedlgt
    erik said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "speedlgt said:
    "

"
    I am one of those people. I buy some comics for the art, some for the story, and some for both. I don't care what the story is with Ed Benes runs, I would buy it. Just because someone doesn't do everything well doesn't mean he doesn't do the one thing extremely well. So yeah, Vance is right on the money here."
    ok dude you should never say vance is right.  there is a please dont feed the trolls sign on the vine some where. :D
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    speedlgt said:
    "erik said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "speedlgt said:
    "

"
    I am one of those people. I buy some comics for the art, some for the story, and some for both. I don't care what the story is with Ed Benes runs, I would buy it. Just because someone doesn't do everything well doesn't mean he doesn't do the one thing extremely well. So yeah, Vance is right on the money here."
    ok dude you should never say vance is right.  there is a please dont feed the trolls sign on the vine some where. :D"
    Funny how you call me a troll when it's you opinion that nobody respects.You can keep reaching all you want...your infatuation with me kinda makes me feel bad for you though.
    speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By speedlgt

hey bro just Log Off vance its ok save the world and Log Off!

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Erik

I'm just saying that Ed does what he does very well. Some people like it, some are inexplicably offended by it. The simple fact of the matter is while his technique is different, he pretty much does exactly what the more popular artists have been doing for the last twenty years. It doesn't really matter to me if he has range as an artist. If I am looking for something different, I will look into another artist with a different style.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    speedlgt said:
    "

hey bro just Log Off vance its ok save the world and Log Off!

"
    keep it up.
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Erik

Ed Benes is awesome.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    erik said:
    "I'm just saying that Ed does what he does very well. Some people like it, some are inexplicably offended by it. The simple fact of the matter is while his technique is different, he pretty much does exactly what the more popular artists have been doing for the last twenty years. It doesn't really matter to me if he has range as an artist. If I am looking for something different, I will look into another artist with a different style."
    I agree...he works within his style.He draws things the way he sees them..not how people think they should be.
    Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By Hawkingbird
    Vance Astro said:

Don't be ridiculous..You honestly to expect a grown female superhero to have little boobs because she's a model.C'mon man...this is comics not real life.Have you seen Ms.Top Model..Tyra Banks lately...her boobs and ass are looking mighty voluptuous.Vixen..just like Storm is going to sometime be draw like a white woman with brown skin.Every artist doesn't know how to do different races..especially when he is trying to make a female character acceptable to an audience that is mostly made up off late teen to mid-aged white men.Benes is only doing what he knows how.Black features are almost never done right and any form of art unless drawn by black people themselves.It want until the Boondocks that black characters began to look like they are supposed to.

I don't agree with you saying "This is comics not real life" . If we're going to have women with huge boobs, twisted in a way so their breasts are the focus of each picture, I want dudes with enormous junk on every cover, twisted in a way so the penis is the focus. Yes, I have seen Top Model. Look at the size of their breasts. It's a lot smaller then the way Benes is drawing hers.
    If an artist doesn't know how to do different races, then they are either:

a) Lacking talent, which Benes doesn't seem to be
    or
    b) Too lazy to research. Which I can see an artist doing.

NEWSFLASH: I'm a teenage white male. It is completely unacceptable to draw a black woman white. I don't care that black features are almost never drawn right unless drawn by black people. If an artist is that inflexible, that he can't learn to draw 15% of America, then he should quit.
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Erik
    Hawkingbird said:
    "Vance Astro said:

I don't agree with you saying "This is comics not real life" . If we're going to have women with huge boobs, twisted in a way so their breasts are the focus of each picture, I want dudes with enormous junk on every cover, twisted in a way so the penis is the focus. Yes, I have seen Top Model. Look at the size of their breasts. It's a lot smaller then the way Benes is drawing hers.

or

NEWSFLASH: I'm a teenage white male. It is completely unacceptable to draw a black woman white. I don't care that black features are almost never drawn right unless drawn by black people. If an artist is that inflexible, that he can't learn to draw 15% of America, then he should quit."
    I don't know if that percentage is correct. I also think you are getting too worked up over an extremely trivial issue.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Hawkingbird said:
    "Vance Astro said:

or

NEWSFLASH: I'm a teenage white male. It is completely unacceptable to draw a black woman white. I don't care that black features are almost never drawn right unless drawn by black people. If an artist is that inflexible, that he can't learn to draw 15% of America, then he should quit."
    1.Having dudes on the cover of comics with enormous junk doesn't appeal to the readers....curvy females do.If your straight...you could have fooled me with that sentence.
    2.You dodge the question about Tyra Banks..I didn't ask you how the models looked I asked you how Tyra looked....
    3.If Benes lacks talent or is lazy....he keeps getting work,so do you honestly think he cares?

NEWSFLASH: I am a grown black man...and I don't care if artist draw black female superheroes white.In fact I expect that from DC comics.Why would Benes quit his job that pays his bills because he can't draw black people? Do you realize how retarded that sounds? I think you just like whining.I hate Frank Quietly,Rob Leifield,and Steve Dillion...they are all terrible artist,but I don't go out of my way to tear them down....they are Marvel's and DC's problems and if people keep buying the books...they are going to keep getting work.

As a black person I have grown to understand that industries that make products I enjoy are dominated by white people (comics & video games),If they don't want to draw or model my people the way they look...oh well,I was expecting it anyway.People try to make black people look white in real life....Ever see Beyonce's Loreal Ad? Ever see the cover of Lil' Kim's last album? It's nothing new to me.Benes is a good artist in my opinion....if he wants to draw Vixen as a white woman...DC is letting him do it..so the people who matter obviously don't care.
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Erik

That came from a black man Hawkingbird so I think that pretty much settles it.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    erik said:
    "That came from a black man Hawkingbird so I think that pretty much settles it."
    LOL
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Erik
    Vance Astro said:
    "erik said:
    "That came from a black man Hawkingbird so I think that pretty much settles it."
    LOL"
    You had my full support as soon as you mentioned Boondocks. Lol. That show rocks.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    erik said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "erik said:
    LOL"
    You had my full support as soon as you mentioned Boondocks. Lol. That show rocks."
    Yea and it also fits perfectly because the features are drawn right and the lead artist and creator are black.
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Erik

Really? I didn't know that about the artist and creator. "A Pimp Named Slickback. You say the whole thing."

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    erik said:
    "Really? I didn't know that about the artist and creator. "A Pimp Named Slickback. You say the whole thing.""
    Yea..the same artist did some of Udon's Street Fighter and Ben 10:Alien Force.
    Avatar image for omega_level_supreme
    Omega-level Supreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hawkingbird said:
    "Vance Astro said:

or

LOL! Well, MT drew "Black" people very well. RIP.
    The artist for the Grappler Baki series does a good job.
    There are other non-African Americans who do a good job I just can't think of them at the moment...
    Anywho, what's so "White" about the way Benes draws Vixen? I think she looks African. Although she has hair like Holly Barry in her former years.
    Omega-level Supreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vance Astro said:
    "Hawkingbird said:
    "Vance Astro said:

or

1.Having dudes on the cover of comics with enormous junk doesn't appeal to the readers....curvy females do.If your straight...you could have fooled me with that sentence.
    2.You dodge the question about Tyra Banks..I didn't ask you how the models looked I asked you how Tyra looked....
    3.If Benes lacks talent or is lazy....he keeps getting work,so do you honestly think he cares?

NEWSFLASH: I am a grown black man...and I don't care if artist draw black female superheroes white.In fact I expect that from DC comics.Why would Benes quit his job that pays his bills because he can't draw black people? Do you realize how retarded that sounds? I think you just like whining.I hate Frank Quietly,Rob Leifield,and Steve Dillion...they are all terrible artist,but I don't go out of my way to tear them down....they are Marvel's and DC's problems and if people keep buying the books...they are going to keep getting work.

As a black person I have grown to understand that industries that make products I enjoy are dominated by white people (comics & video games),If they don't want to draw or model my people the way they look...oh well,I was expecting it anyway.People try to make black people look white in real life....Ever see Beyonce's Loreal Ad? Ever see the cover of Lil' Kim's last album? It's nothing new to me.Benes is a good artist in my opinion....if he wants to draw Vixen as a white woman...DC is letting him do it..so the people who matter obviously don't care.
    "
    Holy crap! Vance your "Black"??? You're such a dork! What has this world come too?

*Leaps out a fourteen story window*
    Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ms. Invisible
    speedlgt said:

Uh dude... racial features not getting drawn properly IS a big deal. 

It's bad enough we have white-washing. And then we have artists who can't draw facial features of certain races properly? Should we just have everyone with European faces then? Let's just forget about diversity! You know, the majority of people in popular culture are in fact white people, and African-Americans are in the minority. When Vixen's face gets tampered with, it pisses people off. Because I'm pretty sure African-Americans are looking for characters to identify with. And well, when people lose that identification with their favourite characters... you know what happens.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Ms. Invisible said:
    "speedlgt said:

It's bad enough we have white-washing. And then we have artists who can't draw facial features of certain races properly? Should we just have everyone with European faces then? Let's just forget about diversity! You know, the majority of people in popular culture are in fact white people, and African-Americans are in the minority. When Vixen's face gets tampered with, it pisses people off. Because I'm pretty sure African-Americans are looking for characters to identify with. And well, when people lose that identification with their favourite characters... you know what happens.
    "
    No...Ms.Invisible..it's NOT a big deal.
    As an African-American..I can honestly say..I am not looking too comics to find someone I identify with.I think Black superheroes have come a long way since comics were first introduced to society.If Ed Benes wants to make Vixen look white....it's not something I would be sad about.I know Vixen is supposed to be African...doesn't mean I don't know good art when I see it.Benes obviously knows his anatomy and how to make things look good..can't draw black people,well he'll have to work on that.There are worst working artist than him right now.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Omega-level Supreme said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "Hawkingbird said:
    "Vance Astro said:

or

"
    Holy crap! Vance your "Black"??? You're such a dork! What has this world come too?

*Leaps out a fourteen story window*"
    This is the dumbest thing I have read since Lantern Prime's last post....
    Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ms. Invisible
    Vance Astro said:
    "Ms. Invisible said:
    "speedlgt said:

"
    As an African-American..I can honestly say..I am not looking too comics to find someone I identify with.I think Black superheroes have come a long way since comics were first introduced to society.If Ed Benes wants to make Vixen look white....it's not something I would be sad about.I know Vixen is supposed to be African...doesn't mean I don't know good art when I see it.Benes obviously knows his anatomy and how to make things look good..can't draw black people,well he'll have to work on that.There are worst working artist than him right now.
    "
    That's fine if you don't care. You're not looking for someone to identify with, but that's your own personal reason. I'm sure there are many African-American readers out there who are looking for someone to identify with. It gets annoying when white people are the default characters in popular culture. When artists can't draw racial features properly, and when there's white-washing going on, you can't help but think that maybe there's some (interalised) racism in the comics industry at the moment.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Ms. Invisible said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "Ms. Invisible said:
    "speedlgt said:

"
    "
    That's fine if you don't care. You're not looking for someone to identify with, but that's your own personal reason. I'm sure there are many African-American readers out there who are looking for someone to identify with. It gets annoying when white people are the default characters in popular culture. When artists can't draw racial features properly, and when there's white-washing going on, you can't help but think that maybe there's some (interalised) racism in the comics industry at the moment."
    Well maybe if far more than half the artists weren't white and DC of all companies actually cared about Black people and black characters for that matter...maybe something would change.Maybe Benes can draw racial features but he won't....someone with his talent couldn't possibly not have the skill to make someone look a certain race.
    Omega-level Supreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vance Astro said:
    "Omega-level Supreme said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "Hawkingbird said:
    "Vance Astro said:

or

"

*Leaps out a fourteen story window*"
    This is the dumbest thing I have read since Lantern Prime's last post...."

Darn, how long did it take you to come up with that one? Hope it didn't hurt...
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

That wasn't a comeback..You said what is the world coming to because I am black as if I chose what I am.And you called me a dork which I guess somehow I can't be and be black at the same time? And You used the word dork in 2008 as if that is still cool to do...So again,That is the stupidest thing I have ever read since Lantern PrIme's last post.This is not me trying to burn you...this is absolute reality.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Erik

My brother is black and he thinks comics are for "p***ies". Lol. I just asked him.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    erik said:
    "My brother is black and he thinks comics are for "p***ies". Lol. I just asked him."
    LOL.
    Omega-level Supreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vance Astro said:
    "That wasn't a comeback..You said what is the world coming to because I am black as if I chose what I am.And you called me a dork which I guess somehow I can't be and be black at the same time? And You used the word dork in 2008 as if that is still cool to do...So again,That is the stupidest thing I have ever read since Lantern PrIme's last post.This is not me trying to burn you...this is absolute reality."
    LOLOLOL! Whatever you say, buddy. Just remember to lock the door when your playing with yourself... that way your mom won't walk in on you for the umpteenth time. Peace.
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Erik

I told him that he is gay.... It didn't get a rise out of him though because he is.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.