Animal powers can't do this

Posted by RazzaTazz (9487 posts) - - Show Bio

I promise this will be my last fashion related comic book blog for the near future.  Tying back to my original blog post I would like to tell a random story about Mari McCabe: 

Mari was excited to be visiting her nephews.  On arrival as she got out of the car, one of her hoop earrings got caught on her seat belt and popped out of her ear.  She took a quick second to slide it back in.  When she saw her nephews, they were excited to see her and ran towards her, jumping up on her and hugging her.  Because their hands were everywhere, both of Mari's earrings got pulled out.  'Why do I bother wearing these when visiting the kids?' she thought, 'maybe better to leave them at home next time.'  

This isn't an altogether unlikely scenario, I have been known to wear hoop earrings, even large ones, and these accidents happen.  After all earrings are almost always made out of metal, whereas ear lobes are made out of skin, which is pretty soft, and metal wins in a heartbeat when the two pull against each other.  Now let me make some substitutions to my original story, which will be in bold letters: 

Mari was prepared to be fighting the Injustice League again.  On arrival as she got out of the transporter, one of her hoop earrings got caught on her seat belt and popped out of her ear.  She took a costly second to slide it back in.  When she saw her enemies, they were planning to ambush her and ran towards her, jumping towards her and trying to kill her.  Because their attacks were everywhere, both of Mari's earrings got pulled out.  'Why do I bother wearing these when fighting bad guys?' she thought, ' that's my third pair lost today.'       

Now I can understand the desire of comic book artists to modernize Vixen's look.  Her first costume in the 1970s was awful.  Her costume in the Detroit years was better, but what exists today is probably the coolest looking costume she has had.  But such large hop earrings could easily be substituted for smaller ones and still pull off the look.  Gold hoop earrings are expensive, they can run easily over a hundred dollars, and I personally don't have the money to replace them, maybe as a superhero-model she can. I am also not allowed to wear them during labs as they pose a potential safety risk. So I can't see some superheroine wearing them, no matter how fashionable.  Maybe I am being too quick to judge though, maybe there is a compartment on the JLA troop carrier (is it still called a javelin?) for all of Vixen's backup earrings and Black Canary's backup fishnets.   
#1 Posted by VickyVons (232 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm not too familiar with this character, but as a fellow hoop wearer, i can definatley contest to loosing them. once i lost a pair on a ride at six flags, when they just popped off. i can only imagine having mangled earlobes after getting into a fight with a group of people, and having them ripped out. i think of earrings on superheores like clothes. how many times do they get their suits ripped? i know their costumes can't be cheap, and that's their distinguishing look, so to loose a pair of hoops probably isn't nothing. i totally forgot the point i was trying to make.
#2 Posted by RazzaTazz (9487 posts) - - Show Bio
@VickyVons:  She probably just wears the cheap ones that you can get in drug stores.  That way she can get like 20 pairs for $100
#3 Posted by VickyVons (232 posts) - - Show Bio

right, right
#4 Posted by mark5 (1213 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer the cellphone earrings Power Girl wears. At least those are practical and they're cellphones. 
:)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.