What are Vertigo's best series?

#1 Posted by carnivalofsins00 (938 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm currently finishing up volume 9 of Scalped, and I'm loving it, and I seem to enjoy a lot of what Vertigo puts out. So I was wondering, what are some of the best books to come out of Vertigo?

#2 Posted by Hatutzeraze (269 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a pretty obvious list.

Sandman, Swamp Thing, Transmetropolitan, Preacher, Invisibles, Fables, and 100 Bullets are the most likely to be mentioned.

Others may mention Morrison's Animal Man and Doom Patrol, but I don't even think those comics became Vertigo comics until after Morrison left, so their actual Vertigo runs are not as classic as their regular DCUniverse years.

I love that you mentioned Scalped. I believe it belongs up there with the best of them.

#3 Posted by davelecave (1113 posts) - - Show Bio

Y: The Last Man

#4 Posted by carnivalofsins00 (938 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hatutzeraze: Fables I like up until the whole wrap up with the Adversarie. After that, it didn't interest me.

#5 Edited by Billy Batson (58021 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of the long running series.

• 100 Bullets
  • DMZ
  • Hellblazer
  • Human Target
  • The Losers
  • Lucifer
  • Northlanders
  • Preacher
  • The Sandman
  • Sandman Mystery Theatre
  • Scalped
  • Shade, the Changing Man
  • Swamp Thing
  • Sweet Tooth
  • Transmetropolitan
  • Unknown Soldier
  • The Unwritten
  • Y: The Last Man

There's bunch of great minis and OGNs as well.
BB

#6 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess it depends on your interests, really.

Do you prefer more gritty, realistic stuff like Scalped or are you open to more fantastical stuff?

Human Target and The Losers, as well as DMZ could be good things to check out if you're really into that gritty stuff.

I also can't recommend highly enough, The Unwritten, Fables and Sandman.

#7 Edited by Illuminatus (9509 posts) - - Show Bio

As always, Batson nailed it.

#8 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
What Billy said.
#9 Posted by pikahyper (12126 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of good stuff missing from the lists above like Outlaw Nation, Greek Street, Testament, Cruel and Unusual, Madame Xanadu, American Vampire, The Filth, Vertigo Pop! (all of them), Muktuk Wolfsbreath and the Adventures in the Rifle Brigade.

And people tend to forget that Transmetropolitan didn't start out as a Vertigo title, it was Helix first which had some incredible comics that were very much in the Vertigo style (just mainly sci-fi oriented) like Bloody Mary, Cyberella, Dead Corpse and Gemini Blood. If you can find any Helix comics they would probably be dirt cheap and shouldn't be missed.

Moderator Online
#10 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6862 posts) - - Show Bio

Y THe Last Man V for Vendetta

#11 Edited by kuonphobos (4898 posts) - - Show Bio

You would be doing quite well if Vertigo was the only company you were reading in my opinion.

Well that, Avatar and Image's the WD. =)

#12 Posted by Simon_the_digger (2953 posts) - - Show Bio

Lucifer

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.