Vertigo Spring 2011 GNs announced

Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.comicsbeat.com/2010/06/22/vertigo-spring-2011-gns-announced/#comments

THE CHILL TP

Writer: Jason Starr
Artist: Mick Bertilorenzi
An original Vertigo Crime graphic novel
$12.99 US, 192 pages

HOUSE OF MYSTERY VOL. 5: MANAGEMENT TP
Writers: Matthew Sturges, Bill Willingham, Alisa Kwitney, Dave Justus and Paul Levitz
Artists: Luca Rossi, Sergio Aragones, Farel Dalrymple, John Bolton and Sam Kieth
Collects: HOUSE OF MYSTERY #21-25
$14.99 US, 128 pages

HELLBLAZER VOL. 1: ORIGINAL SINS TP NEW EDITION
Writers: Jamie Delano and Rick Veitch
Artists: John Ridgway, Tom Mandrake, Rick Veitch, Brett Ewins, Alfredo Alcala and Jim McCarthy
Collects: JOHN CONSTANTINE, HELLBLAZER #1-9 and SWAMP THING #76-77
$19.99 US, 304 pages

iZOMBIE: DEAD TO THE WORLD TP
Writer: Chris Roberson
Artist: Michael Allred
Collects: iZOMBIE #1-6 and material from the HOUSE OF MYSTERY HALLOWEEN ANNUAL #1
$14.99 US, 144 pages

JACK OF FABLES VOL. 8: THE FULMINATE BLADE TP
Writers: Bill Willingham and Matthew Sturges
Artists: Tony Akins and Andrew Pepoy
Collects: JACK OF FABLES #41-45
$14.99 US, 128 pages

MADAME XANADU VOL. 3: HOUSE OF BROKEN CARDS TP
Writer: Matt Wagner
Artists: Amy Reeder, Joëlle Jones and Richard Friend
Collects: MADAME XANADU #16-21
$17.99 US, 200 pages

PETER & MAX: A FABLES NOVEL TP
Writer: Bill Willingham
Artist: Steve Leialoha
An original novel
$14.99 US, 400 pages

RAT CATCHER HC
Writer: Andy Diggle
Artist: Victor Ibañez
$19.99 US, 192 pages

THE SANDMAN VOL. 4: SEASON OF MIST TP NEW EDITION
Writer: Neil Gaiman
Artists: Kelley Jones, Mike Dringenberg, Malcolm Jones III, Matt Wagner, Dick Giordano, George Pratt and P. Craig Russell
Collects: THE SANDMAN #21-28
$19.99 US, 192 pages

SAGA OF THE SWAMP THING VOL. 4 HC
Writer: Alan Moore
Artists: Stan Woch, Stephen Bissette, John Totleben, Rick Veitch, Ron Randall and Alfredo Alcala
Collects: SWAMP THING #43-50
$24.99 US, 224 pages

The following titles are scheduled to arrive in stores in February:

AIR VOL. 4: A HISTORY OF THE FUTURE TP
Writer: G. Willow Wilson
Artist: M.K. Perker
Collects: AIR #18-24
$14.99 US, 168 pages

DAYTRIPPER HC
Writers: Gabriel Bá and Fábio Moon
Artists: Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá
Collects: DAYTRIPPER #1-10
$29.99 US, 256 pages

DMZ VOL. 9: M.I.A. TP
Writer: Brian Wood
Artist: Riccardo Burchielli
Collects: DMZ #50-54
$14.99 US, 128 pages

HELLBLAZER: PANDEMONIUM TP
Writer: Jamie Delano
Artist: Jock
An original graphic novel
$17.99 US, 128 pages

NOCHE ROJA HC
Writer: Simon Oliver
Artist: Jason Latour
$19.99 US, 208 pages

JOE THE BARBARIAN DELUXE EDITION HC
Writer: Grant Morrison
Artist: Sean Murphy
Collects: JOE THE BARBARIAN #1-8
$29.99 US, 224 pages

PREACHER BOOK THREE HC
Writer: Garth Ennis
Artists: Steve Dillon, Steve Pugh and Carlos Ezquerra
Collects: PREACHER #27-33, PREACHER: SAINT OF KILLERS #1-4 and PREACHER SPECIAL: CASSIDY – BLOOD AND WHISKEY #1.
$39.99 US, 352 pages

SCALPED VOL. 7: REZ BLUES TP
Writer: Jason Aaron
Artists: R.M. Guera, Davide Furno and Danijel Zezelj
Collects: SCALPED #35-42
$17.99 US, 192 pages

The following titles are scheduled to arrive in stores in March:

THE BRONX KILL TP
Writer: Peter Milligan
Artist: James Romberger
$12.99 US, 184 pages

DELIRIUM’S PARTY: A LITTLE ENDLESS STORYBOOK HC
Writer/Artist: Jill Thompson
$14.99 US, 64 pages

DEMO VOL. 2 TP
Writer: Brian Wood
Artist: Becky Cloonan
Collects: DEMO VOL. 2 #1-6
$17.99 US, 160 pages

THE UNWRITTEN VOL. 3: DEAD MAN’S KNOCK TP
Writer: Mike Carey
Artist: Peter Gross
Collects: THE UNWRITTEN #13-18
$14.99 US, 144 pages

The following titles are scheduled to arrive in stores in April:

AARON AND AHMED HC
Writer: Jay Cantor
Artist: James Romberger
$24.99 US, 144 pages

AREA TEN TP
Writer: Christos N. Gage
Artist: Chris Samnee
$12.99 US, 184 pages

FABLES VOL. 15: ROSE RED TP
Writer: Bill Willingham
Artist: Mark Buckingham and Steve Leialoha
Collects: FABLES #94-100
$17.99 US, 256 pages

OTHER LIVES TP
Writer/Artist: Peter Bagge
$17.99 US, 136 pages

THE SANDMAN VOL. 5: A GAME OF YOU TP NEW EDITION
Writer: Neil Gaiman
Artists: Shawn McManus, Colleen Doran, Bryan Talbot, George Pratt, Stan Woch and Dick Giordano
Collects: THE SANDMAN #32-37
$19.99 US, 192 pages

TRANSMETROPOLITAN VOL. 9: THE CURE TP NEW PRINTING
Writer: Warren Ellis
Artists: Darick Robertson and Rodney Ramos
Collects: TRANSMETROPOLITAN #49-54
$14.99 US, 144 pages

Y: THE LAST MAN DELUXE EDITION VOL. 5 HC
Writer: Brian K. Vaughan
Artists: Pia Guerra, Goran Sudzuka and Jose Marzan Jr.
Collects: Y: THE LAST MAN #49-60
$29.99 US, 320 pages

#1 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw this a few weeks ago on Vertigoblog but based on the Original Sins solicit do you think this means they'll finish collecting Hellblazer and do volume #'s? It says Hellblazer Vol. 1: Original Sins - New Edition. I mean it'd probably take a few years to do but it could be their goal?

#2 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

also, why does Madame Xanadu Vol. 3 only collect 16-21? the arc was 16-23

#3 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: The madame Xanadu maybe a typo as for Hellblazer I think they eventually plan to get it up todate with numbers, since older fans are out growing comics and the new fans have harder access to Hellblazer.  I don't mind collecting the important stuff, but some of the guest issue can be avoid.  Such as the John Smith issue.  It is an okay read, I like the idea of a real setting horror, but the whole Bi-sexual thing is given too much power if everyone has access to the issue.   The current series is having the John Constantine face to showing the set, I like that.  So maybe by the time the second printing is required the numbers will be there.  This is also a chance for Vertigo to collect the two missing Garth Ennis issues, which I enjoyed or even Shoot by Warren Ellis... I have only read it in black and white, I won't mind a colored version in print.  It will be a slow snail pace of collecting this series with re-numbering, but the lack of numbers and the fact a lot of the books are out of print made Hellblazer a very inaccessible series.
#4 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silkcuts: Ugh, the John Smith issue, I don't even know where that came from, didn't really fit with the rest of the series at all and so far its the only time so far in what I've read that the bisexuality has been brought up though I believe Azzarello delves into it in his run. Then again I don't think any of those guest writers meshed well with the rest of the stories but some were good (such as Gaiman's). The Dick Foreman issue is out of place too IMO, I suppose Darko Macan's is as well though I haven't read that. However, at the same time I think the entire series and spin-offs need to be collected just so, as you said, new readers can better access the series and completionists can get the entire collection. I mean Jenkins entire run (almost forty issues!) is uncollected, that's a gaping hole in John's history. Also Delano's finale should be collected, as a resolution to his work on the comic he began. And I agree on the two missing Ennis issues, I remember there being "an early draft of Cassidy" as a background character. Maybe they need to give the main issues Vol #'s and the guest writer's short stories get collected in trades outside of the Vol. numbering. Whatever the case, the trades for that series do need an overhaul IMO.
#5 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: Both the John Smith and the Azz arc can be argued if they were really "cons"... but at average most Hellblazer fans like the womanizing John.  So to completely collect Hellblazer maybe doing Hellblazer a disservice in the long run.

Gaiman should of written more Hellblazer.  I also enjoyed Grant's guest run, but it doesn't flow well.  Dick Foreman's works because it was written to work in Delano's run.  Darko Macan's story is one of my least liked John Constantine related stories.... maybe Totems is the only more horrible story.  Jason Aaron's story is okay, he got the horror right, but I don't know about the soul.  

It maybe a good thing that the Jenkin's run would be collected.  It is every dependent on the Ennis run and really can't stand on its own.  I re-read in recently because of the anniversary and all and I can understand why Hellblazer was struggling under his run.  Besides the few important issues like 100 and 120, most of the run is forgettable.  Danita cannot compare to Kit.  The crew John chilled with just don't compliment him as just Chas does.  Jack of the Green is not Alec.  Heck only Elle and the First of the Fallen does he writer well.  As for the gaping history... it is one most Hellblazer readers forget because it is not needs Ennis' run to make sense and it kind of is not as tightly written.  I forgive him since it was his first real writing assignment, but as a whole it is all-over the place and then is almost pointless after it is done.  Son of Man was like the saving grace of those getting bored of that run.  

Delano's last trade would of been nice collected first without the number.... so it will look weird now if I get it.

I agree that the main series should be numbered, the guest issues, just keep it as rare cut style trades... no numbers would be nice.

This series has been so miss treated... so much out of print.  So much not collect.  Censorship issues.  Keeping some writers on too long like Mina..... I liked the first half of her arc.. but red right hand may just be the first Hellblazer trade I would burn if I needed to keep warm in the winter. 
#6 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

The fact Izombie doesn't have a "Volume 1" on it worries me

#7 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emperor Gonzo Noir:  I think it is safe to say typo.  With Allred, this series will be just fine.  They may screw us like northlanders with numbers on the later printing.
#8 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
" The fact Izombie doesn't have a "Volume 1" on it worries me "
in an interview they said they had like 25 issues planned so I think there hoping it'll live long and prosper...I'm not a fan of these minis getting hardcover treatment before trade though (Daytripper and Joe the Barbarian)...personally I much prefer a trade paperback format
#9 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silkcuts: Well I haven't read Swamp Thing so I figured Moore had mentioned he was a bisexual or something. I find the idea that John Smith made it up for a single issue he wrote incredibly bad form. Though I love Azzarello so maybe he handles it better. Truth be told sometimes I'm amazed that readers have stuck with John for the past twenty years and I salute them. I mean the series is great right now but some of the crap you have to get through...I don't know, I think what I love about Hellblazer are the arcs, the one-shot stories usually end up throwing me off, though like I said I think proper collecting could solve that problem. But I've heard plenty of bad stuff about Denise Mina's run and I read somewhere the series was almost canceled during Darko Macan's two-parter there. For the only Vertigo comic that is older then the imprint itself you'd think it's get more attention in things like this.
#10 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: Hellblazer needs to be rereleased, with numbers!
#11 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:
" @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
" The fact Izombie doesn't have a "Volume 1" on it worries me "
in an interview they said they had like 25 issues planned so I think there hoping it'll live long and prosper...I'm not a fan of these minis getting hardcover treatment before trade though (Daytripper and Joe the Barbarian)...personally I much prefer a trade paperback format "
Joe being a deluxe is good... bigger pages and what not.  Daytripper is money grabbing.

@aztek the lost said:
" @Silkcuts: Well I haven't read Swamp Thing so I figured Moore had mentioned he was a bisexual or something. I find the idea that John Smith made it up for a single issue he wrote incredibly bad form. Though I love Azzarello so maybe he handles it better. Truth be told sometimes I'm amazed that readers have stuck with John for the past twenty years and I salute them. I mean the series is great right now but some of the crap you have to get through...I don't know, I think what I love about Hellblazer are the arcs, the one-shot stories usually end up throwing me off, though like I said I think proper collecting could solve that problem. But I've heard plenty of bad stuff about Denise Mina's run and I read somewhere the series was almost canceled during Darko Macan's two-parter there. For the only Vertigo comic that is older then the imprint itself you'd think it's get more attention in things like this. "

Moore's John Constantine is more mysterious, he seemed as straight as an arrow.  Hence being Tefe's bio-dad.  It is likely Smith didn't research.  Azz's run at least did justice, since it can be taken either or... bi or a con.

It is true being a long Hellblazer fan must be hard.  I don't know anyone personally who never at least jumped off once.  I am really digging Peter Milligan's run and it may take over Diggle's place as fave modern, and is also in pace to take over Ennis' which is my fave run.  Hellblazer is a writer driven book, that is why the one-shots don't work as well.

Mina's run was just too long.  The first part was not bad, not great, but not bad.  Thank good for Manco's art and Bermejo's covers....  the other 1/2 felt like she was pulling it out of her @r$3.  Macan's story  if I remember was around the Ellis censorship age.  Between Jenkin's run and up until Azz' run Hellblazer was rumored to be canceled.   Son of Man Helped bring back fans because of Ennis... more fans were screwed with Ellis' weird run.... Azz' run I am surprise was one of the better overall selling series... I am pretty sure all but Hard Time had more then one printing.  Carey's run was huge because it was the movie hype years.

I am glad Diggle set the new standard.  Even Aaron's run is out of place between Diggle's run.  The last Carey issue needs to be collected as well... but I don't know where is a good spot. 

@Emperor Gonzo Noir:  I am not sure if you have been reading other comments, but it looks like Hellblazer is being collected with numbers.
#12 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silkcuts: I had not, but it's about damn time
#13 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

Will probably get Daytripper and Joe the Barbarian even though I will have all the issues.

I wish Vertigo did more HCs. I really do not like having paperbacks.

Also, that is the end of Y Deluxe books, correct? Hopefully, the first Absolute hits by Fall of 2011.

#14 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pizawle said:
" Will probably get Daytripper and Joe the Barbarian even though I will have all the issues.  I wish Vertigo did more HCs. I really do not like having paperbacks.  Also, that is the end of Y Deluxe books, correct? Hopefully, the first Absolute hits by Fall of 2011. "
you prefer hardcovers? hmm, that's interesting, I'm the exact opposite, I wish new graphic novels came out in HC and TPB format on the same date instead of a year apart

but yeah Vol. 5 is the last of the Y hardcovers...do you think they'll do an Absolute? so far Vertigo has only ever done Sandman/Death (obviously) and V for Vendetta (because it's Moore) so I don't get the impression they plan on doing other Absolutes
#15 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree on the same date thing. Just let people choose their own preference. I really do not understand that.

Did not realize they have done so few. Still have they had that many series that warranted it? I think there is at least a chance Y gets the treatment.

#16 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pizawle said:
" I agree on the same date thing. Just let people choose their own preference. I really do not understand that.   Did not realize they have done so few. Still have they had that many series that warranted it? I think there is at least a chance Y gets the treatment. "
Certain books need multiple treatments.  I personally would love both deluxe Hellblazers, Invisibles and Lucifer.

Absolutes are expensive so I can understand Invisibles not getting the treatment, I also think the deluxe would work better for that long series.
#17 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pizawle said:
" Still have they had that many series that warranted it? I think there is at least a chance Y gets the treatment. "
well they've had plenty of series that they consider staples of DC and its various imprints...most of them are now getting hardcovers (Preacher, Y: The Last Man) or new edition trade paperbacks (Sandman, Transmetropolitan) so why they'd do that if they were just going to do Absolutes a few years later I don't know
#18 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost:  Money? There are a lot of fans that would not be able to resist Absolutes even if they already owned some kind of copy. Also, there are those waiting for these series to get the Absolute treatment.

Or maybe it is just me hoping that it happens.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.