Upcoming Releases: What Has You Most Excited

• 80 results
#51 Edited by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost:  Did not know that. What I meant was it seems like Vertigo had much more titles back then. Ratio does not matter. You just said Vertigo started six new titles! That is amazing even though they canned seven. This year we got two new series and a couple of limited series. We lose five (or more?). Definitely worse in my view.

But the overall point remains. These titles are getting canned before their time and sales are not an acceptable justification in most of their cases.

I really hope Vertigo launches a lot of new stuff next year but I have a fear things are only going to get worse.
#52 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pizawle: yeah, of those six new titles, three were cancelled this year :( but yes, you're right, it did seem like they had more books...heck, right out of the gate they had eight titles back in '93...now we have about eight still, plus a few that publish rather sporadically. where's the growth? it's been 17 years
#53 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost:  But as easy it is to get upset at the big bad business side of things, the real blame falls on the people. The industry is too heavy on the superhero emphasis and that holds it back from Vertigo being a powerhouse like it should be. Comics as a whole should be a much more respected and popular artistic/entertainment medium than they are but the majority who read them regularly are along with preconceptions, holding them back.
#54 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pizawle: I know you're right, but if I go blaming the users I'll just get a lot of angry people...I agree that the industry is very much dictated by the preferences of its readership and that is predominantly superhero...BUT small publishers put out all sorts of interesting and unique stories because they aren't about the business...Marvel is a business...DC always seemed to be more like the small publishers but that's changing, hence my being upset 

I agree though about comics deserving more regard, my family's distaste for them is a testament to that
#55 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio

I am just excited Vertigo hasn't shut down

#56 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silkcuts said:
" I am just excited Vertigo hasn't shut down "
yes... 

you know, sometimes I'd like to write something for them one day, like every kid's wet dream...so they'll have to be around for a few more years so I can come up with fifty different pitches that I can barrage them with all at once
#57 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:
" @Silkcuts said:
" I am just excited Vertigo hasn't shut down "
yes...  you know, sometimes I'd like to write something for them one day, like every kid's wet dream...so they'll have to be around for a few more years so I can come up with fifty different pitches that I can barrage them with all at once "
Best of luck with that.  If you can, hook me up with a signed trade or something when your books come out. :D
#58 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silkcuts: HA! it'll doubtfully ever happen (though I'd love for it to) but if I give you a signed copy, I expect a five star review no matter how much it blows :P 

btw, are you reading Chew? what do you think of Vertigo rejecting it? I like the comic, at the same time I find myself conflicted on if I think of it as a Vertigo comic
#59 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost:  Dude, of course I would give it 5 stars.  Like everyone on the Vine. no one messes with Aztek.

I am reading Chew in trades.  I can't believe Vertigo passed on it, it is so Vertigo.  I am glad it is doing well in Image, because under Vertigo it would likely be wrapping up ...lol
#60 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silkcuts: that's right! I think my main problem with the idea is I'd need a good artist who can properly translate my ideas, I write short stories, novels, that kind of stuff, writing out panels just seems to complicated to me, I like comics because they supply me with the image, I have trouble with that part myself...I feel I can rarely picture people in books as they are intended to be...I mean in American Gods I pictured Odin as Old Man Waterfall from Futurama :P

I guess my problem is I can't pin down anything and say that's Vertigo...and then my confliction sets in because I know Image is the better home for it...but I wish Vertigo was that home...Image has some good stuff though, I wish Seagle's Soul Kiss had been longer, maybe 12 issues?
#61 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost:  That is funny with the Odin thing.  I need that laugh.

Well there is definitely a vertigo tone.  X-Statix and The Depths from Peter Milligan are marvel books, but they have that Vrtigo edge to it.  Maybe its is also because of Alonso, because we can argue Garth's punisher Max as having that edge as well.  Chew has the Vertigo edge because it is off beat and plays with our imagination in that way Vertigo use to always do.

As for Soul Kiss never read it, I know Image released a hardcover, but new could find it. 
#62 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silkcuts: I was serious! what do you picture him as? 

I guess you're right there...I just find it strange flipping back and forth between the old Vertigo comics and the new...they have changed quite a bit I feel...really I suppose anything could be a Vertigo book since Everyday Magic made it through, and Mina's Hellblazer... 

Soul Kiss wasn't phenomenal, I loved the concept but it was very rushed after the first two issues, love Seagle though, and the art was beautiful, forget who the artist was, that fact would probably put them on my list of underrated artists (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)
#63 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost:   I am bad at creating imagines in my mind as well. I am currently reading Alan Moore's novel Voice of the Fire and omg if I didn't love MOORE i would of put this down already.

Yeah, Everyday Magic kind of blows and Mina's Hellblazer really sucks in the Red Right Hand, I have Empathy for Empathy is the Enemy, it was not bad, it was not good.  IT was mediocre. 

#64 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silkcuts: haha, the ironic part for me is that I somehow am attracted to the long and descriptive novels...for example I love Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time but there are hundreds of pages that are just description, thankfully these comics may help me put images in my head...I know reading some issues of Anita Blake in comic form before the novels was a great idea...now I can picture the sex scenes much more vividly :P 

Everyday Magic was fine for me except that it had no impact or value, were it just some DC one-shot I wouldn't have fret, but I don't know why Vertigo published it...and I found Empathy is the Enemy to be far too drawn out, reminded me of Fear Machine in that regard...it just wasn't thrilling at all for me personally, the concept might have been okay but the execution was not
#65 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: I now see where your going at with that Anita Blake comment.

Vertigo has lost its focus, we can both agree on that. Everyday Magic was printed under Vertigo because it has a edger Zee and it had John Constantine.  I believe it was debated to be released DCU, but released Vertigo because of the content.  I hate the art so much in Everyday Magic. Bolland's cover is ugly and the interiors are nothing special, only Warren Pleece created an uglier John Constantine.
#66 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
#67 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

March solicits are out!

American Vampire #13

I cannot wait for this arc!

Here are the rest - link.
#68 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pizawle: thanks for reminding to check for March solicits! 

the big items that got me are: 

Hellblazer Vol. 1 (New Edition): not the volume specifically but the fact that it encourages me they plan to re-do the Hellblazer trades properly 
Demo Vol. 2: I've been waiting for this trade for what seems like years!!!! epic series!
HELLBLAZER #277: Gemma Masters!!!! (Mike Carey is the only writer in all these years who's really done anything with her and it disappoints me because she is just as important as Chas, being with him from the beginning unto present day) 
American Vampire #13: HELL YES! 

Obviously I'm excited for all the rest but they are mid-arc things and such and in some cases those arcs haven't even started...
#69 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

and wtf is Absolute Promethea doing solicited on the Vertigo website?

#70 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio

Hellraiser!!!!

#71 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

American Vampire is getting a spin-off mini during the WW2 saga. With art by Sean Murphy!!!

LINK.

#72 Posted by novakidx (107 posts) - - Show Bio

my most exiting realease [as you can tell by my avatar]
is ASM 654.1 with new venom [kinda a big fan of venom]

#73 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pizawle said:
" American Vampire is getting a spin-off mini during the WW2 saga. With art by Sean Murphy!!!

LINK. "
yeah, I'm pretty excited about that, though I think it's a load of bollocks that they whenever he's mentioned in solicits it's "Sean Murphy (JOE THE BARBARIAN)" when they won't even announce whether they ever plan to publish the last issue of Joe

also letter columns are coming back to Vertigo (I'm pretty excited about that though I was wondering if anyone knew, do you only get a reply if you're letter is published or does everyone get a reply?) and in the article they brought that up they mentioned Will Dennis edits "Spaceman" which must be an ongoing and considering his track record of editing noir books...anyone else think this is the Azzarello/Risso project?
#74 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: Well you know what that means, the delay is Grant's fault.
#75 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:
yeah, I'm pretty excited about that, though I think it's a load of bollocks that they whenever he's mentioned in solicits it's "Sean Murphy (JOE THE BARBARIAN)" when they won't even announce whether they ever plan to publish the last issue of Joe also letter columns are coming back to Vertigo (I'm pretty excited about that though I was wondering if anyone knew, do you only get a reply if you're letter is published or does everyone get a reply?) and in the article they brought that up they mentioned Will Dennis edits "Spaceman" which must be an ongoing and considering his track record of editing noir books...anyone else think this is the Azzarello/Risso project? "
It has been re-solicited for March.

Spaceman is indeed the new Azzarello/Risso book. Nine issues this year, then continues as a series of mini-series a la Criminal. They compared it to Blade Runner. Dave Johnson will be doing the covers.

@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
" @aztek the lost: Well you know what that means, the delay is Grant's fault. "
Sure is.
#76 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pizawle said:
" @aztek the lost said:
yeah, I'm pretty excited about that, though I think it's a load of bollocks that they whenever he's mentioned in solicits it's "Sean Murphy (JOE THE BARBARIAN)" when they won't even announce whether they ever plan to publish the last issue of Joe also letter columns are coming back to Vertigo (I'm pretty excited about that though I was wondering if anyone knew, do you only get a reply if you're letter is published or does everyone get a reply?) and in the article they brought that up they mentioned Will Dennis edits "Spaceman" which must be an ongoing and considering his track record of editing noir books...anyone else think this is the Azzarello/Risso project? "

Spaceman is indeed the new Azzarello/Risso book. Nine issues this year, then continues as a series of mini-series a la Criminal. They compared it to Blade Runner. Dave Johnson will be doing the covers.
wait...how do you know all this? neither Joe the Barbarian #8 or Spaceman are solicited on the Vertigo website
#77 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:
" @Pizawle said:
" @aztek the lost said:

wait...how do you know all this? neither Joe the Barbarian #8 or Spaceman are solicited on the Vertigo website "
Well isn't it obvious? He's...From the Future!!!
#78 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost:  The final issue of Joe is in the March solicits I posted. Not sure why it isn't on Vertigo.

Spaceman starts in April (I'm guessing since it's supposed to be nine issues this year). Bleeding Cool had an article about it back in October.
#79 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pizawle: I see, the Vertigo website is pretty much the only other comic-related site I use besides this one...can't believe Vertigo can't even properly cover their own news
#80 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13134 posts) - - Show Bio
 Green Goblin: A Lighter Shade Of Green

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.