Upcoming Releases: What Has You Most Excited

• 80 results
#1 Edited by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay so some time recently Vertigo updated their website to now include the covers and solicits for comics coming out in September and I of course had a complete nerdgasm when I saw the cover for Hellblazer #271 and I'm really excited for tomorrow's issue, this whole arc is my dream come true! But there are also some other really epic things I see in the future such as the "Unwanted" arc from Scalped, "Metal" from Northlanders and "Extra Sensory" from Madame Xanadu. Also coming out is the finale to Daytripper, Joe the Barbarian and Demo and the end of the premiere arcs of both I, Zombie and American Vampire. And then of course there's the upcoming finales of Air and Unknown Soldier, returning cast members to Jack of Fables, more Vertigo Crime, continued awesomeness in House of Mystery and The Unwritten. Not to mention the 100th issue of Fables, more of the one-shot character profiles that make the cast of DMZ so interesting...and much much more!

So my question is as the title says, what has got you most excited?

Hellbazer #269

Hellblazer #270

Hellblazer #271
#2 Posted by Portrait (4485 posts) - - Show Bio

IZombie and Sweet Tooth!

#3 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Portrait said:
" IZombie and Sweet Tooth! "
I'm still waiting for the first arc to end before I pass judgment on I, Zombie but I am enjoying Sweet Tooth...hoping we get some answers soon but I have no idea how long Lemire intends to have this series last.

Btw, you're not loving Joe the Barbarian? I had you pegged as a Grant Morrison fanatic.
#4 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8898 posts) - - Show Bio

Madame Xanadu and Fables for me.

#5 Edited by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach said:

" Madame Xanadu and Fables for me. "

ah, good choices, the "Rose Red" arc is going a bit slower then I expected and I'm starting to wonder if it's flashbacks up until the very end but the cover for #98 gives me hope! and Madame Xanadu's latest arc was very fun and it was awesome to see Martian Manhunter but this Extra Sensory arc really has me excited, I love the entire concept of it and if #16 is any indication on how Matt Wagner writes "Demo-like" stories I'm sold. also, I'm definitely excited to see various artist's take, the ensemble of artists that roam the Vertigo titles are all so different but amazing.
#6 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8898 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: Indeed I agree, all the stuff you posted sound awesome. But my biggest reason for preferring Fables and Madame Xanadu is mostly because I'm really behind in these others (some I haven't started yet) and I tend to finish one series before I start another.
#7 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach: Ah, I understand, personally I'm really glad I did catch up on all the titles so I hope you can with the ones you're interested in because it makes every month when they reveal the new items for three months in the future one of the most enjoyable days of the week...apart from Wednesday of course. What are the other titles you're reading?
#8 Posted by Portrait (4485 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: Grant Morrison is writing that? O_o 

I'm picking up Joe the Barbarian! 

(Yes, you were completely correct)
#9 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Portrait: oh, he's definitely writing it...it's got his style all over it which is why nobody knows what's going on yet :P

what kind of Morrison lover doesn't know what's he writing :O
#10 Posted by Portrait (4485 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost:  

I'm not great at keeping track of that stuff. :p
#11 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8898 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: The thing with me is I buy trades instead of issue per issue because mostly it's easier for me to enjoy story arcs that way and because the way my budget is set up. I find this just easier. So I can be slow on the update of my reading.

As to what I read, in a word lots of stuff. As long as it's well written I enjoy a wide berth of styles and kinds of stories.
#12 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Portrait: that's what this site is for :D
#13 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach:I understand the reason for reading in trade instead, I used to do that myself and I still pick up trades every week though usually of older titles...but yes, it eventually became too unbearable to wait...I get impatient I guess :(

as long as it's well-written? you must be reading everything :P
#14 Edited by Crom-Cruach (8898 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:

" @Crom-Cruach:I understand the reason for reading in trade instead, I used to do that myself and I still pick up trades every week though usually of older titles...but yes, it eventually became too unbearable to wait...I get impatient I guess "

For me, waiting for a story I can do, but having to see a to be continued in at the end of a book is what I find unbearable. As it just makes me want to know the end. At least with trades I can generally get an almost complete story arc in one buy and that I can wait for.

@aztek the lost said:

" as long as it's well-written? you must be reading everything :P "

Would you believe me if I said know and then revealed to you the awful truth that some comics are actually badly written ;)
#15 Posted by Portrait (4485 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: Well, I have trouble sorting through the Storm-fanboy threads to actually find the relevant stuff. 
#16 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Portrait: oh I was referring to the wiki
#17 Posted by Portrait (4485 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: I love the wiki, but I do tend to get exasperated by the amount of work it needs, and then intend to fix it up (with my Icarusflies profile), and then procrastinate for weeks, then eventually forget what it was I was doing in the first place.
#18 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach: I admit getting a to be continued at least half a dozen times a month can be annoying sometimes but at the same time, a title like House of Mystery is what I call the King of the Cliffhanger, I love the endings because they always demand I return next month and even though I have to wait I can hold onto that excitement for weeks rather then just flipping to the next page...I say both ways of reading have pros and cons

and you are right, not every comic is written well...but I'm rarely disappointed with Vertigo and even disappointment is just because something was good rather then amazing
#19 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Portrait: well in this case it would have been sufficient as Joe the Barbarian #5 is listed in his "Recent Issues" section but I know what you mean about the wiki needing work. personally I continue adding to it and truth be told things may have been different when I started but now I couldn't find a better source for all-encompassing comic book knowledge.
#20 Posted by Portrait (4485 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: I'm not complaining (much), I adore the sight. Problem is, I tend to like the obscure characters no one has ever heard of, much less thought of filling out the wiki for.
#21 Posted by Krakoa (555 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm looking forward to I, Zombie,  and Highland Laddie.  

@aztek the lost: Would you say the upcoming issue of Hellblazer is a good jumping on point? 

#22 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Portrait: Then I think it's people like you that should be filling those pages out...there's not a top submitter on here who hasn't done a lot of delving into the obscure...I do it all the time, in fact looking at my last 50 submissions, not a one was to a comic I have ever seen discussed in the forums by anyone other then maybe me. But believe me, I do understand what you're saying about some areas lacking and there are hundreds of things I want to do but can't find the time for...but I live for submitting so I guess to me it's fun. I've got some comments from people before thanking me for filling out a page or some such and I've done the same to others so I am assured somebody will appreciate the effort of filling out the obscure.
#23 Posted by Portrait (4485 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: What do you think I've been doing? I have something like 27,000 points, which I sure didn't get from filling out pages like Superman.
#24 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Portrait: I'm sorry, I know you've been submitting, didn't mean to offend you...in fact I seem to recall moderating some of your subs...I guess I just got off onto a rant, we can get back on topic if you want.
#25 Posted by Portrait (4485 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: LOL, yes I bothered you about many submission topics. 

Hm...yeah, I picked up an issue of Unwritten, but I just couldn't get into it.
#26 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8898 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: @aztek the lost said:
" @Crom-Cruach: I admit getting a to be continued at least half a dozen times a month can be annoying sometimes but at the same time, a title like House of Mystery is what I call the King of the Cliffhanger, I love the endings because they always demand I return next month and even though I have to wait I can hold onto that excitement for weeks rather then just flipping to the next page...I say both ways of reading have pros and cons  and you are right, not every comic is written well...but I'm rarely disappointed with Vertigo and even disappointment is just because something was good rather then amazing "
Well, me I'd rather wait for a complete story then be left in a cliffhanger. And I totally agree Vertigo is some of the best American comic imprints currently active.
#27 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Krakoa: Highland Laddie is Dynamite although I want to read it as well...but sadly, no I would not say it is...it's a Part 2 of an arc...but, #251 was a great starting on point and that has been collected in a trade and a second trade of Milligan's run comes out tomorrow...but if that doesn't entice you then I'd say at least pick up #267 and I could fill i any questions you have about what happened in #251-266
#28 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Portrait: really? hm, just a random issue? because it's one of my favorite comics and I suspect/hope it will last for many more years...if you want to give it a second chance I suggest #12, it's self-contained and shows some of my favorite aspects of the comic...of course in my eyes Carey and Gross can do no wrong

@Crom-Cruach: understandable. and as far as active American publishers are concerned I don't even have a second favorite yet...most of the others are too hit or miss for me.
#29 Posted by Portrait (4485 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: Maybe I'll pick this one up in Trade form. I do tend to prefer starting series with the beginning.
#30 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Portrait:as do I which is why I have trouble jumping into a lot of comics I hear praises for...besides, the first Unwritten trade is only 10 bucks!
#31 Posted by Portrait (4485 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: THAT'S more like it. I'll pick up the first trade, then see if the store has the back issue. Once I'm caught up I'm sure it will be much more enjoyable.
#32 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Portrait: well once you try it out let me know what you think, I like to know if my recommendations leave people satisfied or not so I can adjust accordingly
#33 Posted by Darkchild (41002 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta get my vertigo updated been missing alot lately.

#34 Posted by Krakoa (555 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:
" @Krakoa: Highland Laddie is Dynamite although I want to read it as well...but sadly, no I would not say it is...it's a Part 2 of an arc...but, #251 was a great starting on point and that has been collected in a trade and a second trade of Milligan's run comes out tomorrow...but if that doesn't entice you then I'd say at least pick up #267 and I could fill i any questions you have about what happened in #251-266 "
My mistake with Highland, I misread and didn't know this was strictly vertigo. lol. As far as Hellblazer, I've always preferred back issues to trades whenever affordable, so I might try to pick up those issues you mentioned individually the next time I place an online order. Thanks for the tip. 
#35 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Darkchild said:
" Gotta get my vertigo updated been missing alot lately. "
you definitely should old man, some epic stuff going on

@Krakoa said:
"My mistake with Highland, I misread and didn't know this was strictly vertigo. lol. As far as Hellblazer, I've always preferred back issues to trades whenever affordable, so I might try to pick up those issues you mentioned individually the next time I place an online order. Thanks for the tip.  "
ah, it's fine, I can appreciate other comics too...but yes if you're into back-issues then #251-current is the way to go...the character's introduced so far have all been new except Constantine, Chas and now of course Shade who is in the covers I posted on the first page
#36 Posted by Darkchild (41002 posts) - - Show Bio

I AM NOT OLD!

#37 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1378 posts) - - Show Bio
@Darkchild:
O_O GRANDPA!!!! YAAAAAAY!!!!!! Grandpa is here!!!!!!! LOL.
#38 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@JoeRiccadonna said:
" @Darkchild: O_O GRANDPA!!!! YAAAAAAY!!!!!! Grandpa is here!!!!!!! LOL. "
grandpa? haha, my grandfather could be his son but we probably shouldn't provoke him...don't want to be sued for pushing the geezer six feet under
#39 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

I read #268 yesterday and although it was just a small role by Shade so far...we also got Lenny! and John cut off his thumb because the knife couldn't get through his arm (we actually talked about that disorder just a few months ago in Psychology)

oh I loved it, Milligan you are one under-praised writer

#40 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:
" I read #268 yesterday and although it was just a small role by Shade so far...we also got Lenny! and John cut off his thumb because the knife couldn't get through his arm (we actually talked about that disorder just a few months ago in Psychology)  oh I loved it, Milligan you are one under-praised writer "
Peter Milligan is under-praised indeed..... I hope he stay on HB for a long time.  What Psychological disorder is that?
#41 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silkcuts said:

" @aztek the lost said:

" I read #268 yesterday and although it was just a small role by Shade so far...we also got Lenny! and John cut off his thumb because the knife couldn't get through his arm (we actually talked about that disorder just a few months ago in Psychology)  oh I loved it, Milligan you are one under-praised writer "
Peter Milligan is under-praised indeed..... I hope he stay on HB for a long time.  What Psychological disorder is that? "
 Apotemnophilia (title of the issue)

and I also hope he stays on for a while, he can write #300, maybe?
#42 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have a cross-over with the mummy wrapped characters to be in Vertigo like Rebis from Doom Patrol,  John Griffen from The Nobody, the guy who was wrapped up in issue 1 of I, Zombie and whoever I missed.  Have it a halloween House of mystery thing.

#43 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

Most anticipated title of September:

Of course it is. What else can it be? Especially after #9. I am going to cry.
#44 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pizawle said:
" Most anticipated title of September:

Of course it is. What else can it be? Especially after #9. I am going to cry. "
I'm completely in the dark over what this issue is going to be but I can't wait for it too, I'd say it's my most anticipated read of 09/08/10 along with

Jack of Fables #47 (09/01/10) is the funny coming back?
Hellblazer #271 (09/15/10) Shade a character long-term?
Fables #98 (09/22/10) how mind-blowing will this lead-up to #100 be?
Unknown Soldier #24 (09/29/10) is Dysart's conclusion as awesome as he said it would be or were executives forcing him to say that to make them look better for canceling one of the best books they had?

However, those won't all necessarily be my favorite comics coming out on those weeks, they are just the ones I most want to see where they're going with everything.
#45 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn. I just found out they delayed the final issue of Joe the Barbarian a whole month.

#46 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

NEW COVERS WENT UP OVER AT VERTIGOBLOG! 

Looking at the file names it looks like Winter's Edge will be a part of Vertigo Resurrected (though the cover is of Hellblazer #250), also there's another Vertigo Resurrected image of the Garth Ennis story that wasn't collected! I like the idea but if they do this INSTEAD of trades I'm a little disappointed :( 

Cover highlights for me included: 

1. Hellblazer #274 (I love you Biz!)
  2. City of Demons #5 (no idea what this mini's about but those covers are bloody amazing!)
  3. Unwritten #20 (I really enjoy Yuko Shimizu's artwork, maybe one day her cover run can be as regarded as Fabry's Preacher or McKean's Sandman or Jean's Fables)
  4. Northlanders #35 (tell me that's not mesmerizing)
  5. House of Mystery #32 (I preferred his works from last year but Esao Andrew's talent hasn't decreased any, just the subjects of his portraits aren't as awesome)
  6. Sweet Tooth #16 (love the Sweet Tooth cover)
  7. I, Zombie #8 (Dairy Queen GONE WILD!)

Also, I like Jock's artwork but uh, does anyone know who that is on Scalped #44? Not knowing who it is sort of takes away from it IMO anyways.
#47 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

OH SH!T

Becky Cloonan on a Northlanders tale! Absolute brilliance guran-damn-teed!!!

That is easily my most anticipated title now.

#48 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pizawle said:
" OH SH!T  Becky Cloonan on a Northlanders tale! Absolute brilliance guran-damn-teed!!!  That is easily my most anticipated title now. "
oh wow, I didn't even notice that! booyah! I love Demo, especially Volume 2 :D 

Becky Cloonan needs to do another monthly, I'm still upset American Virgin was cancelled :(
#49 Edited by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost:  (sigh) What hasn't been canceled. Exaggeration, I know but still. I have only been reading single issues since April of this year but I have caught up on a lot and looking at where Vertigo was just a couple of years ago to where they are now... it is so damn sad.
#50 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pizawle: actually, 2008 was worse than this year, however I'm not sure how sales played into that, what pisses me off now is how some comics are cancelled regardless of perfectly fine sales, also in 2008 they had six new ongoings to the seven that were cancelled, what have we had this year, 2 vs. 4? way worse ratio IMO

...but yeah in 2008 they cancelled SEVEN f@#king titles, Crossing Midnight #19, American Virgin #23, Loveless #24, Un-Men #13, Vinyl Underground #12, Exterminators #30, Testament #22 

I've read all of them but Loveless and I'm making my way through Crossing Midnight but not a single one of them should have died that early, they were all great comics...I think I have just been thrown into shock now because I only started catching up to and reading current comics back in 2009 so I just missed the wave of cancellation...but I was reading back-issues and I could tell that some comics were ended before the writer's vision was through and I hated that

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.