Sweet Tooth #1 REVIEWED, How's It Taste?

Posted by G-Man (34411 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's your chance to try something new and different.  I know, in today's market, it's hard to take a risk on a new series.  Just know that this is from Vertigo so that should tell you what to expect.  Another thing, the first issue is only a dollar.  Why not take a chance and give it a shot?

With a new series, you never really know what to expect (unless it's just another superhero spin-off title).  With Sweet Tooth, we have a new "world" that we haven't been to before.  There is a lot of unanswered questions here.  It's great that Vertigo is trying to help new readers discover their titles by putting out these $1 first issues.  The real challenge will be in the second issue.  I see a lot of potential with this series so it will be interesting to see where things go.  What is the deal with this kid Gus?  Who is that dude in his dream?  What was the 'accident' in this world that caused this mutation?  

Are you going to pick this up for just a dollar?
Staff
#1 Posted by crazed_h3ro (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

love new comics with a weird story twist...and drives away frome the superhero/villains conflict ( sometimes)
#2 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3554 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Sweettooth's father M Night Shyamalan? The whole "edge of the forest" thing gives me a The Village vibe.

Looks interesting enough. The $1.00 price is an interesting idea. You aren't out much if you don't like it.

#3 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
"Aztek will love you." - Babs 

Truer words were never spoken :P 

@G-Man
said:
"  Just know that this is from Vertigo so that should tell you what to expect.  "
Exactly. Expect pure awesomeness!!!! 

I read Jeff Lemire's The Nobody a few weeks ago, and although it is essentially a revamping of The Invisible Man, it was at the same time an amazing story all its own and I've been excited for his Sweet Tooth ever since. I'm wondering if this series will be cut short or experience delays due to the fact that Lemire is both the artist and the writer but otherwise I have high hopes for it. 

It really was a great first issue, especially the last page leaving you craving more... 

Although I wouldn't expect all the mainstreamers to enjoy Lemire's art, I like it and of course even if I didn't the story is intriguing and that's all that really matters. I think it just might have been my favorite Vertigo release of September 02, 2009 though Greek Street #3, Northlanders #20 and Young Liars #18 were all awesome in their own right, but its always wonderfully refreshing to add a new title to one's pull list. 

Sweet Tooth FTW! (I can't wait to see what this Jepperd guy is all about)
#4 Posted by ryanwh (373 posts) - - Show Bio

G Man I appreciate the love you're giving more obscure comics. Don't stop just because it gets less replies.

#5 Edited by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@ryanwh said:

" G Man I appreciate the love you're giving more obscure comics. Don't stop just because it gets less replies. "

Quote FTW!  of course I could always post in here with dozens of accounts to give off the impression it's quite the popular review    
#6 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be getting this comic

#7 Posted by Decept-O (7278 posts) - - Show Bio

Just tell me its not some anti-hunter, hunters are bad and evil type story.  That is so played out and so untrue.  
Sounds weird enough for my interest, but I just don't know.
#8 Posted by TheOmegaMan (165 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to pick this one up, it looks interesting...
#9 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

awww and here i thought it was gonna be

#10 Posted by Blackandredflag (68 posts) - - Show Bio

im always up for a new vertigo series...

#11 Posted by HermanMarte (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Def gonna check it out love new comics, seems like every comic out there is part of this big arc

#12 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blackandredflag said:
" im always up for a new vertigo series... "
are you reading Unwritten or Greek Street? the other "new Vertigo titles"
#13 Posted by Blackandredflag (68 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost:  yup, lovin unwritten! greek street, i wasnt so fond of + missed 2nd ish, but i wont give up on it yet...
#14 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blackandredflag said:
" @aztek the lost:  yup, lovin unwritten! greek street, i wasnt so fond of + missed 2nd ish, but i wont give up on it yet... "
ah, I am loving Unwritten as well, especially with #5 throwing in a more developed backstory, now it's really getting good! 

as for Greek Street, I really enjoyed the fast-paced thrill of the first issue, the second wasn't as good (IMHO) but then with the third it jumped back up again, of course I think it's still a little too early to tell with Greek Street

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.