R.I.P Vertigo

#1 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32162 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems with the complete creative shift of the imprint, the cancellation of Hellblazer, it's flagship book and Karen Berger recently quitting her post of Executive Editor, that it's finally time to say goodbye to the Vertigo of old.

I give it two years tops before the whole thing is gone for good.

Well, now the news has broke about legendary Karen Berger leaving DC and Vertigo. Karen has been absolutely inspirational for a very long time with DC, bringing to all of us some of the finest comics ever to come out of that company, and helping to spearhead an industry changing defying imprint with Vertigo. Comics have always been diverse but Karen really helped in that definition during a time when pretty much the dominant genre involved spandex, much like the trend is now. But Vertigo became the industry leader in presenting comics for people who wanted more than shiny costumes with superpowers. Karen’s efforts became a beacon for creators to look toward a different comics future landscape, paving a way for acceptance of new bolder ideas.
I find the timing of her departure from DC to be sadly ironic, in that next year when Karen says her final goodbyes to the company it will also be the 20 year anniversary of Sandman, one the titles that sort of started the whole thing (to which there is a brand new Sandman project on the way for this anniversary that I’m to start illustrating very soon). Having known Karen for many years and doing a few things for vertigo here or there, I had long been looking forward to working with her at a much closer level on this new Sandman project. So while excited over Sandman, its become bittersweet as her involvement will be going away. I’m a bit uncomfortable over it, actually. But it is what it is. I know I will not help but think of her that first day I put pen to paper, on that very first page Karen will be there in spirit.
I was also seriously disappointed when I’d heard about the demise of Vertigo’s Hellblazer recently announced, in favor of transitioning the lead character into the DCU entirely, not an idea I’m overly fond of. As a longtime reader of Hellblazer it was disheartening. I felt as if Vertigo was beginning to slowly be sucked dry, it’s life’s blood drained away. And with the departure of Karen Berger I have to admit that I’m feeling even more disheartened. And speaking as bit of a fan here, not an industry professional, I’m feeling torn between a struggle of anger about some things and rather optimistic for what the future may hold for Karen, and in turn for us as readers. As a creative editor Karen has something to say, always has, and I’m certain her voice will rise up out of the din and resonate with something new. And when that voice does sound, in whatever form that may take, I know I’m there to listen.
Comics needs Karen Berger!
I should add: Vertigo should be a legacy and continue, showing that Karen’s contributions remain valued. - JH Williams III
#2 Posted by Illuminatus (9480 posts) - - Show Bio

Capitalist bastards.

#3 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

Karen Berger was such a icon there. Wasn't for her many things that people love wouldn't exist and many comic writers may not have came to America.

#4 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32162 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supreme Marvel: Karen and Vertigo did so much for the comic industry that the average reader doesn't even realise

#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32162 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus: correct

#6 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

I think there should be a god-like character named after her in the new 52.

#7 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32162 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supreme Marvel: They should model Lucifer in her image

#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32162 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#9 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: Looks like she's leaving DC for good.

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32162 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrock85 said:

I don't think Vertigo Comics will last much longer

#11 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@jrock85 said:

Of course not. Two years at the most.

#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32162 posts) - - Show Bio
@jrock85

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@jrock85 said:

Of course not. Two years at the most.

DC is killing Vertigo
#13 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7561 posts) - - Show Bio

Its a shame its gone down like this.

#14 Posted by longbowhunter (6620 posts) - - Show Bio

What the hell is going on?!?

#15 Posted by MrShway88 (655 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow why the negative outlook? One person won't make that big of change.

#16 Posted by Billy Batson (57706 posts) - - Show Bio

@MrShway88 said:

Wow why the negative outlook? One person won't make that big of change.

She already did.
BB

#17 Posted by Billy Batson (57706 posts) - - Show Bio

*insert what I said on the CV article here*
BB

#18 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32162 posts) - - Show Bio

@MrShway88: She really did.

#19 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: I don't care what anyone says -- the loss of Mrs. Berger is a devastating blow to DC Entertainment. The last thing a company on such a lazy and uninspired path needed was to lose one of the most astute and meticulous people to ever work in the industry.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.