Greek Street #1, A Vertigo Comic Review!

Posted by G-Man (18919 posts) - - Show Bio

Here we go, finally a review for a Vertigo comic.  Keep in mind, this isn't a comic for the kids.  It's a "mature" comic. 

While I wasn't overly impressed, I am deeply curious to see what will happen next.  A ton of characters are introduced so issue #2 should be able to dive into the story without having to give us more background.  I want to know who read this comic and what you thought of it.
#1 Posted by reaper2923 (2778 posts) - - Show Bio

You can buy candy with a dollar...I think.

#2 Posted by anatolew (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the comic was horrendous. Sure, Greek tragedy is pretty harsh, but there is a dramatic quality to it. Greek Street was all harshness with no dramatic qulaity. Add to that the sloppy artwork that made it difficult in places to tell which character was which, and this is just not a comic I will be picking up again in the future.

#3 Posted by pixelized (62883 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with Anatolew, by the time i finished it i was mad at myself for letting CV-ers deceive me into thinking this was going to be a good read.

#4 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

After reading this book I felt the same way, even though I have a lot of questions I cant say that I am eager to see the next issue. It was a great introduction to the series maybe it should have an issue #0 though, if issue #2 is any good I might be adding it to my pull list.

Will every issue be 40 pages?

#5 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

We all know what my motivation was for reading this comic...that label that says Vertigo on the front cover...but as a person who used to study and read Greek mythology for personal enjoyment I liked making the connections, recognizing the myths things related to and what-not but at the same time I loved the whole new take on the story. This is exactly my thing and sure it wasn't stellar, but I've learned to never judge a Vertigo volume until you've read it in its entirety because the ending always gives you a whole new appreciation for the beginning.

Besides that, I too am deeply curious for what will happen next, and want to see Lord Menon and Lady Esther since they were in that "preview" thing but not in the issue. I also have a feeling based on the title of this issue that this series will turn out like Northlanders, the whole thing where each story arc focuses upon a different character, but I may be wrong in that. I do hope this is an ongoing rather than a miniseries.

I liked it, had a little Hellblazer feel to it IMO (Milligan is currently writing Hellblazer) and I will obviously read #2, and of all the Vertigo titles currently in print I can't say it's the one I'm most excited for but it's up there somewhere...maybe I'm excited for them all equally?

As for the art which people on this site tend to bring up all the time, I loved it, Vertigo art is something I've grown fond of after seeing so much of it and I prefer it over that Marvel/DC/Zenescope stuff so I have no complaints in that area.

#6 Posted by G-Man (18919 posts) - - Show Bio
@Joe Venom said:
" After reading this book I felt the same way, even though I have a lot of questions I cant say that I am eager to see the next issue. It was a great introduction to the series maybe it should have an issue #0 though, if issue #2 is any good I might be adding it to my pull list.Will every issue be 40 pages? "
Issue #2 will be 32 pages.  Out on August 5th.
#7 Posted by Vortex13 (12264 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanted to throw up like he did after reading the "confrontation". I'm a big vertigo fan, actually that's an understatement I'm a huge vertigo fan, this intrigues me because I'm also a fan of ancient mythology.  Reading that certain part made me want to stop reading though and I still may stop reading it at some point but I'll give it a chance, it's interesting and it has potential.

#8 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vortex13 said:
" I wanted to throw up like he did after reading the "confrontation". I'm a big vertigo fan, actually that's an understatement I'm a huge vertigo fan, this intrigues me because I'm also a fan of ancient mythology.  Reading that certain part made me want to stop reading though and I still may stop reading it at some point but I'll give it a chance, it's interesting and it has potential. "
you know the story of Oedipus right? I know that in the original story he didn't know it was his mother but I guess to me it just didn't come as much of a disgusting factor, I didn't actually see it coming when they were in bed together and she read the note and only upon re-reading the comic did I laugh at the "old enough to be his..." comment

but after reading all those Greek myths it's hard not to expect things like that in any story based on them

Vertigo FTW!
#9 Posted by Darkchild (41470 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved the comic, cant wait for next issue

#10 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Darkchild said:
" Loved the comic, cant wait for next issue "
high fives
#11 Posted by inferiorego (28313 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoyed the first issue, and only $1

Staff
#12 Posted by Goki (457 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:
" @Darkchild said:
" Loved the comic, cant wait for next issue "
high fives "
Hell yeah it was a nice touch, i know of a few Greek Mythos so this will be quite entertaining.
#13 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

I like my comics to be lighter, and more likeable, so I'll pass on this

Great review once again!!!

#14 Posted by Pheeke (198 posts) - - Show Bio

i like some of the vertigo comics, i sometimes want someting harder to read than superheroes. sometimes not...it depends on my mood :)

#15 Edited by Vortex13 (12264 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: I do know that myth, but incest is gross no mater what lol.
#16 Posted by Dr. Maxwell (661 posts) - - Show Bio

For only a dollar I couldnt resist picking this one up, plus its Vertigo, lot of characters introduced, but I'm sure it will all pan out in the end. Good Story

#17 Posted by stork101 (16 posts) - - Show Bio

it was alright a bit weird and confusing but i'll give it a chance and get issue 2 and see where it goes from there and incest is just wrong

#18 Posted by The Messanger (53 posts) - - Show Bio

This has nothing to do with the comic, but what I like to do sometimes is to determine what rating you give the comic before you announce it, and almost every time i know what the rating is gonna be. Especially this time 3.5. I don't if I have some kind of crazy intuition or what but i think its kind of cool that I can tell what the rating is gonna be most of the time. Sorry to be off topic.

#19 Posted by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
"While I wasn't overly impressed, I am deeply curious to see what will happen next."
Exactly how I felt. I thought most of the action in this comic was just shock for the sake of shock, and didn't really bring much to the table. The setups were interesting enough though that I could imagine an actual good story developing eventually, so I'll most assuredly be picking up issue two. Number two will be what makes or breaks it for me.
#20 Edited by ulrich200 (95 posts) - - Show Bio

i think this comic is sick i mean there is vertigo,and there is sick sh!t thrown at your face
  does being mature mean reading incest,ugh

#21 Posted by Bruce Vain (1781 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm might check it out ,and for a dollar with 40 pages in it that's not a bad deal. Thanks G-Man

#22 Posted by teewillis1981 (118 posts) - - Show Bio
@Darkchild:

I agree. I thought it was great. Although the "interactions" in the beginning made my stomach curdle, I'm interested to see how Milligan will develop this plotline.
#23 Edited by pixelized (62883 posts) - - Show Bio
@Slinger said:
" @G-Man said:
"While I wasn't overly impressed, I am deeply curious to see what will happen next."
Exactly how I felt. I thought most of the action in this comic was just shock for the sake of shock, and didn't really bring much to the table. The setups were interesting enough though that I could imagine an actual good story developing eventually, so I'll most assuredly be picking up issue two. Number two will be what makes or breaks it for me. "
That's how it was for me, between the narration, and the... action, it was too  much to keep up with. I'm trying to build some investment into this character so that when things like that happen, i'll have a reaction to it, but it just all... came so fast that i couldn't even remember the guys name by the time the scene was over.
#24 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@ulrich200 said:
" i think this comic is sick i mean there is vertigo,and there is sick sh!t thrown at your face  does being mature mean reading incest,ugh "
need to edit your language, these forums have a no swearing policy...anyways, the incest wasn't made up by Peter Milligan but by the Greeks...this story is based on actual myths...and the story of Oedipus Rex is a famous play...the boy who was destined to "kill his father and marry his mother", he eventually gouged out his eyes and well his life sucked, he was cursed...this is just a modern version of that story

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.