Fairest/Fables Help

#1 Posted by HotSauceCommittee (345 posts) - - Show Bio

So I recently picked up this Vertigo preview thing which had a Fairest preview in it and liked what I saw but I'm a bit concerned that I'd be out of the loop as I've never read an issue of Fables. I know its only been one issue but could use some opinions on how it it is for newcomers/non fables readers. If I was to read Fables I really wouldn't have the patience to catch up on a hundred plus issues in trade. Could anyone recommend a recent-ish jumping on point or any must read arcs? And if anyone picked up Voodoo Child today, is that any good? Seems interesting. Thanks!

#2 Posted by HotSauceCommittee (345 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump =(

#3 Posted by The Stegman (24661 posts) - - Show Bio
@HotSauceCommittee: I know the hardship man, I've been catching up on Fables to read Fairest (I read all but two of the trades in two months *_* ) 

Anyway, it seems that Fairest itself is a new story, so I say maybe read the last collected volume of Fables, "Rose Red" To be honest, I like Fables, and although it has 100 plus issues, not THAT much happens, I can pretty much sum it up in a paragraph.
#4 Posted by HotSauceCommittee (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman: Thanks dude, will have a look for it on Amazon now.

#5 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@HotSauceCommittee: @The Stegman: Rose Red isn't the last Fables trade, Super-Team is (and Vol. 17 comes out in four months) but more importantly I believe that each arc of Fairest is intended to be accessible but at the same time, I don't think you will be able to know in advance what's required reading or not because Fairest isn't an ongoing story, each arc focuses on a random female from the Fables series and how much she's already been developed in Fables will probably impact the accessibility of the arc

for example, Briar Rose (Sleeping Beauty) of the first arc has never really done much of any character development, she's important in an early story arc where they use her "superpower" and she's also important in the defeat of The Empire (her power again coming into play) but most of the stories revolving around her are around that power rather then herself, the most recent issue about her (a one-shot, #107) she is asleep the entire time

But if they end up doing an arc about Rose Red for example in the future, you basically have to read the entire series (IMO). Personally I'd recommend the entire Fables series and say that it doesn't take nearly as long to catch up as you think, however, if you want a recent jumping-on point I think #101 is probably the best place to start, although the first arc after #100 resolves a storyline that started in #82(?), most of the stuff is new storylines that seem like they will shape the series for the next few years.

And I haven't read Dominique yet but I'm excited for it (I order my comics by pack twice a month so it won't be arriving until Mid-April)

#6 Posted by The Stegman (24661 posts) - - Show Bio
@HotSauceCommittee: oh btw There's one more trade after Rose Red, it's Super Team, and before you search on Amazon, check your local library to save some dough.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.