Follow

Creator-Owned

Publisher »

In terms of quantity, it is much more common for characters to be creator-owned (or company-licensed) than owned by their publisher. However, in comics two of the biggest publishers worldwide (DC and Marvel) traditionally own all their characters. This page is meant to help distinguish characters that are owned by the creator from those owned by the publisher in cases where it's not immediately obvious.

Aztek's 2010 Vertigo Comics Round Up

• 60 results
    -Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By -Eclipse-
    @aztek the lost: Well, what Vertigo comic would you recommend for a hardcore superhero addict who only reads superhero books? Invincible, Red Robin, Amazing Spider-man, those are the comics I read. I can't see many Vertigo books which deal with superheroes, so what do you think would be a good next step for me if I'm trying to broaden my horizons?
    -Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By -Eclipse-
    @aztek the lost: I think I'll check out Doom Patrol... Even though, going by the Morrison stuff I have read (Batman RIP, etc.) his writing is a little cooky for me... Still, I'll give it a shot. Same for Demo, but should I be looking at the first volume or just the second one? And maaaaaaybe Unknown Solider, but looking up the synopsis makes me a little uncertain. I'm not a gore fan (Invincible doesn't count because it's ridiculously unrealistic gore where intestines fly out of everywhere and people have too much blood) and that seems pretty dark for me. 

I've always thought about giving Y the Last Man a try, so I'll probably get that too, even though you didn't directly suggest it to me, lol. What's the art situation like on these comics?
    -Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By -Eclipse-
    @aztek the lost: The art looks good enough for me. I really only ask because, as much as I love Invincible, if the original artist (Corey Walker) was still drawing it instead of Ottley, I would have lot interest a LONG time ago.

Alright, I'll look them and possibly blow my £30 Amazon voucher I got for Christmas on them, thanks for the suggestions :D
    -Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By -Eclipse-
    @aztek the lost: Nah, I'm fine with art that has a different style to the norm, Chris Bachalo is one of my favourite Spider-man artists and his stuff is pretty crazy sometimes. But with Invincible it was a choice between.... 

This
    This

And...

THIS
    THIS

Yeah, if the first guy had stuck around the series wouldn't be nearly as popular, probably would have been cancelled after the first year, LOL
    -Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By -Eclipse-
    @aztek the lost: LOL, yeah, I struggled through the first few issues, really :P 

Here's the contrast I was trying to find, here's a cover for the first issue done by Cory Walker, then two homages by Ryan Ottley after the costume got changed a couple of times. 

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#62  Edited By Nighthunter

Eclipse, check Morrison's Animal Man 

if you wanna step a little outside the superhero. Try sweet tooth, I have a feeling you would like it considering your tastes
    -Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By -Eclipse-

@aztek the lost: Yeah, you could argue that it's the colourist, but a) initially it was the same colorst, Crabtree stayed on for almost 50 issues, I think, and b) the colourist didn't add in all the details. Ottley has a good understanding of anatomy, whereas Walker just scribbled a few lines on the figure for some reason. He always did this weird thing to noses that I hated. 

@Nighthunter: Sweet Tooth? I'll search for it, lol, I thought you were talking about Chew for a second

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#66  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION
    @aztek the lost: Yeah, I've started reading Sandman, Preacher, Transmetropolitan and Morrison's Doom Patrol. 

So far Morrison's Doom Patrol and Transmetropolitan are probably my favorite. After I finish those up, I plan to look into Hellblazer and The Invisibles.
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Nighthunter
    @aztek the lost said:
    " @Nighthunter: trying to upstage me? :P  but yeah...both good books, although, I know I'm probably alone in this but I think Delano's Animal Man (#51-79) was better than Morrison's (#1-26) "

never even heard of Delano's run, also his name in spanish would mean "From the anus" so eeeeeew :P (yes, I'm immature sue me)
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#68  Edited By Mercy_
    @aztek the lost said:
    " @The Dark Huntress said:
    " This is the article you were talking about? Holy wowzers.  "
    you didn't read a single word of it, did you? 

@Darkchild: thank you, I too would have to agree that your effed in the head "
    Sure I did. ^^
    Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#69  Edited By Pizawle

Nice write-up, aztek.

Vertigo definitely reigned supreme this year. Daytripper is probably my series of the year.

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#70  Edited By Silkcuts
    @aztek the lost said:
    " @Silkcuts: is Gaiman even interested in comics anymore? I would have loved to have a Gaiman Swamp Thing to read...but did he actually have it already written or did he just refuse to write it and wrote that Brother Power story instead?  but otherwise, seeing as I'm not a big continuity guy it's all okay to me...I wouldn't mind it if Swamp Thing was appearing under both publishers without any explanation...those concerned with continuity could follow the DC one...and those concerned with story could read the Vertigo one...but I will admit, Swamp Thing hasn't really had a successful run since Moore which is a shame...everyone so far that had talent has been ousted before they could finish "

I don't think Gaiman has a huge care for comics since he makes more money doing movies and stuff.  I don't know the whole story since I never finished the dream king book, but what I know is that he plotted it and did not take the book after Veitch because of the drama.  My understanding it was Gaiman and Delano next on Swampy, not Wheeler. 

All I know is Swamp Thing is not handled right.  Moore's was the only strong seller because it was a head of its time.  Veitch's run is where the curse came....
    fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION
    @aztek the lost: For Hellblazer since I read that you don't have to read it in order, I was thinking of starting as far back with the first author I like, so I suppose Garth Ennis would be it, the move on to Warren Ellis and Brian Azzaerllo. I haven't ventured into the realm of digital comics, but I may look into that, I'd still prefer the trades though, I think.
    fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION
    @aztek the lost: If they do release all the trades again, I may just wait until March to start picking it up. Thanks for all the info, really do appreciate it. I was looking at all the writers who did Hellblazer and Delano is the only one I didn't recognize and the others I've liked on other titles, so it actually does sound pretty exciting to get into. The fact that it's so far in is kind of daunting though, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
    fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION

Oh, it even has the Swamp Thing stuff, I didn't know that. Hopefully it ends up being everything from start to current, but sometimes the gaps Vertigo takes between printing trades of older stuff is a bit long, hope this doesn't potentially suffer from that.

fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION
    @aztek the lost: Ah, that does make sense then, more sense than trying to track down those two Swamp Thing issues anyway. I'll have to tell my LCS to set one of these aside for me.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#80  Edited By Mercy_
    @aztek the lost: It's a lot to read, m'kay. Especially for somebody who doesn't read Vertigo. 
    Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#82  Edited By Silkcuts
    @aztek the lost:

I do enjoy Gaiman and you hit it on the nail why I think he is overrated.  Even today his name has so much pull, but all he really wrote was Sandman.  His Swamp Thing never really saw light, Marvelman was bad luck, but even his dabbles here and there never really were ground breaking. 

Veitch's run has its moments, its not moore's of course.  I think it picks up when Veitch and Delano team up (TEFE)... then that goes downhill after trade 9.  The Time travel story had potential... but ends badly the way it currently is.
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Nighthunter

For the Gaiman fans: Think about it this way, Gaiman returns to comics every few years to do ONLY projects he has a great passion or ideas for. 

Most recent example being his "Whatever happened to the caped crusader?"
    fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION
    @aztek the lost: Well, it certainly doesn't hurt to have a Jim Lee cover.
    HumphreyLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By HumphreyLee
    @aztek the lost: Someone (probably new EIC Bob Harras) decided it would be best to get most of the characters that have been Vertigo only for a while, like Swamp Thing, back into the DC fold. I guess they think there is more sales to be had putting Batman in a Swamp Thing title or something, or that these characters had already ran their creative gamut so why not make them "mainline relevant." And, yeah, Vertigo is pretty much going to just be Creator Owned (and Hellblazer) as the line tries to figure out how to stay afloat apparently, in the light of the announcement that they are restructuring their loyalties and whatnot. I think that's why they cut so many titles this year and are just going with 8 successful ones and the line of OGNs they have been pumping out the past couple years. Good round up with all of this. Vertigo may not be as burgeoning as it used to be, but it's still home to the best comics in the industry. When my companions and I at AICN do our year end roundup, I know it'll mostly be Vertigo representatives (especially the "choose your own adventure" issue of THE UNWRITTEN, which was hands down the best issue I read all year). Cheers...
    GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1422

User Lists: 8

#86  Edited By GC8

I used to be a big Vertigo fan. I was overjoyed when the imprint started. After picking up The Unwritten #28 (see my latest review), I have to say, it doesn't seem to do much for me these days. The comics seem to be trying to do what indies do rather than what Vertigo used to do best - occupy that great middle zone between mainstream superhero and horror comics, and the wierd, off-beat and low-key independent comics world. It seems they've strayed too far toward the latter, and sacrificed the former, what with Animal Man and Swamp Thing returning to the mainstream DCU.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#87  Edited By Billy Batson

Old round up, still great. Waiting for this years.
    BB

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#88  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

bumping this thread because it has unlimited win

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.