Aztek's 2010 Vertigo Comics Round Up

• 88 results
Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

Last year, I was considered one of the biggest Vertigo enthusiasts around here and having read the majority of the content Vertigo released in 2009, I decided I’d sum up what I had found to be the best of the year so people would know what they missed and need to check out. It's a year later and I have hundreds more Vertigo releases then I had the year before (over two hundred of them released this year). Although I won’t deny having not gotten to a few graphic novels and the like, I have read almost everything Vertigo released this year and decided once again I’d share what I felt was the best, only whereas last year I wrote about everything I could until I ran out of time, this year I’ll just talk about my favorites in detail and briefly explore the rest at the bottom of the article. 

DISCLAIMER: I know that some people seem to think I’m belittling them when I talk about Vertigo so much more highly then they’re favorite publishers, but that is not the case. I have read and do read comics from more publishers then most people can probably name. All publishers have something to offer…but when it comes to comics people should be checking out, it doesn't have to be a comic selling 100,000 unit’s a month…it could be a comic that’s selling 10,000 but has a story just as good (if not better) then those selling 100,000. Why would I recommend something everyone else is already reading? Plus, Vertigo is always pushing the boundaries (creativity-wise not the how much you can get away with kind) whereas the Big Two have found the place things work for them and they’re sticking with it. == TEASER ==    

Ongoing Titles

There were quite a few ongoing titles this year, at the highest point fifteen ongoings were hitting the shelf at once…however, unfortunately despite two new ongoings launched (mentioned in their own category below), four were given the axe in 2010. I have chosen five of my favorites to highlight here (two of them being ones that were cancelled) in the hopes that maybe one will interest you enough to check out in the 2011 year.

Hellblazer

Hellblazer #268
If any one title were to represent Vertigo, it would have to be Hellblazer. Never the most popular series hitting shelves, it has outlasted many of its competitors and is the only ongoing title Vertigo releases that is older then the imprint itself. The book has a rich history and has been worked on by many of the industry greats, but don’t let that steer you away from the book. If you’re thinking to yourself that over two-hundred and fifty issues worth of history is too much to dedicate yourself to, then be comforted in knowing that almost any writer’s run is completely accessible without any of the others. Peter Milligan’s is no exception.

At the beginning of last year he came onto the book with #251. He’s been writing a grand epic ever since…and it just keeps getting better and better. For those of you who don’t know, Peter Milligan is a longtime comic writer associated with such names as Grant Morrison, Neil Gaiman, Garth Ennis, and all those other Brits who came to write for DC back in the late 80’s. The current creative team is phenomenal, from Milligan to the penciller/inker team of Giuseppe Camuncoli and Stefano Landini (you may know Camuncoli from BKV’s Swamp Thing or recent Wolverine comics) who’s art really brings a vibrancy and life to the book as well as Simon Bisley’s covers which adorn the comic with some of the best pieces I’ve seen this year.

This year the story really picked up in speed and every month it has consistently been that one book I just get the shakes thinking about. I need to have it! Having set things up in 2009, Milligan now showed us just what it was he was building up to and it is big, really big. In fact, if you don’t know about it already, you’ve been following the wrong news feeds. In January of 2011, John Constantine (at the ripe old age of 58) is getting married! To someone half his age! Yep, it’s a big event for #275. It’s very plausible everything will go wrong but if you think this sounds like another gimmick in the comic industry, keep in mind Hellblazer has been in print for 22 years. Since the first issue 22 years of time have passed in the life of John. It’s about time he kept a lover. What’s been so great about it is the crescendo. Milligan brought in his old friend Shade the Changing Man (one of my favorite comic book characters!) for some insanity and the whole story has just taken the love triangle idea to levels never imagined (in a good way) and Biz is even doing some interiors!

I usually review every issue of Hellblazer the week it comes out (because it gets me that excited) and have since #268 if you want to see more details. When it comes down to it, I just ask you to give it a try, everyone I’ve convinced to read it so far has only told me good things. If you want to know where to start, three trades are out (Scab, Hooked, India) that collect #251-266...if you want to just keep reading in trade, the trade containing most of the great stuff from this year comes out next summer: Bloody Carnations (#267-275) but if you read books monthly, this is a great one to try out. And hey, if you love it, maybe you’ll check out the past runs from guys like Ennis, Azzarello, Carey, and Diggle.

Hellblazer in 2011?: I want to see Milligan remain on this book until at least #300 and if he has more stories, then beyond that, he has definitely proven himself a great Hellblazer writer. I’d also like to see this book last for many more years, decades if necessary and come to a natural ending…this year DC took back its properties from Vertigo, except for Hellblazer, which gives me hope they intend to keep what has outlasted many other books. I can’t wait to see what’s in the future for Conjob and Piffy!

Madame Xanadu

Madame Xanadu #21
Ah, yes, Madame Xanadu, the eldest of the four titles killed off this year, a mere twenty-nine issues. It could’ve and should’ve lasted much longer. Unfortunately even though the fan base was there, as I mentioned, DC wanted its properties back and Madame Xanadu didn’t have enough history as a Vertigo staple. Written by Matt Wagner and drawn by a variety of talented artists, Madame Xanadu has gone through various periods of the DC magician’s life, establishing a rich history for her, never taking place in the present yet still incorporating characters that a fan of DC could enjoy just getting a glimpse of.

As someone who’s a fan of many DC characters but not necessarily all the stuff coming out from month to month, it was a thrill to see various characters over the years from The Phantom Stranger, Etrigan, Spectre to Wesley Dodds and Martian Manhunter. Heck, the series even had Death of the Endless for an issue, and unlike the recent appearance in Action Comics, it didn’t feel out of place. This year the series did something rather daring and I’d say successful in creating a very amazing tale (although the book was cancelled, I do not blame it on lack of quality as much worse books are still in print).

For a six-part arc (the last six issues of the series), Matt Wagner helped us explore the six senses with a  different artist for each issue and except for the finale, all were stand-alone tales that could be read on their own or in conjunction with the rest of the book. The stand-alone issue is an underappreciated aspect of comics these days. With all the events and arcs (not always bad things mind you) it can be rare to get one issue that stands up entirely on its own, but Matt perfected it this year on at least a few occassions. Whereas the first 23 issues of the series consisted of a ten-issue arc, five-issue arc and eight-issue arc…the last six proved Matt is quite capable of crafting a complete story in just twenty-two pages.

If you’re reluctant to check out the book (seeing as there will be no more new issues) and you’re not sure you want to commit to the four trades that will collect it all I would at least recommend you check out any number of issues from #24-28 (26 and 27 were my personal favorites) and although they may not tell you exactly what to expect from the other twenty plus issues, they’ll definitely let you know if you can enjoy the type of comics Vertigo has to offer. If you do get a trade, honestly any trade will feel like a complete story (the way it was written, what with the time-jumps and all) so don’t worry about committing all at once, but do check it out.

Scalped

Scalped #39
Let it be known, I don’t like when my ongoing books don’t ship on schedule (which is why I applaud you, Jimmy Palmiotti). Whereas it ruined the enjoyment of the Fables family of books this year - which read better in trade anyway - Scalped managed to remain one of my favorites despite the troubles keeping up a monthly schedule at times. Why? Because each and every issue was powerful. The guest artists were all magnificent and captured the feel of the book, and of course R.M. Guera continued his dominance as the main interior artist but let’s not forget the writing…

I believe most people know Jason Aaron these days for writing things like Punisher and Wolverine, but if you haven’t checked out Scalped yet, you’re really missing out. It’s in a creator-owned work that someone in the comic industry can really define themselves. Scalped, like the aforementioned Madame Xanadu, proved its mastery of the short self-contained story with several one-shots and a two-parter. However, what probably got the most buzz was the book’s arc of the year, Unwanted, which dealt with the topic of abortion.

Abortion is not a new topic in comics and has been dealt with several times in the past. cI’ve read comics where either route has been chosen…but what made Scalped unique and interesting is Jason Aaron has created a world that is not just about the big players. Everyone gets their story, it’s about all the people who have to live a life every day where the world’s against them. Because of these various characters and viewpoints, it means neither “side” won over in the end, both were enacted at some point in the story, and both well presented. There was no agenda at work here, unless it was to stop making people get so heated towards one another, it was just a pure story. The point is this book captures the real feelings of pain and frustration that anyone in the situations portrayed in the comic would feel.

Scalped is gritty and it's real. Don’t be surprised if tears come to your eyes as Hazel and Mance’s hands clasp one last time, or you come to feel an attachment to Sheriff Wooster Karnow of all people when he’s finally tested. If you can handle a book that will possibly make you feel stuff, I recommend you check Scalped out. Six trades out already, with a seventh collecting most of the stuff from this year coming out soon, this is a book that’s great right from the beginning and will be right to the end.

Scalped in 2011?: What I wish for Scalped is that it ends naturally. As far as the book has come, that is the least it deserves…now where that end is I haven’t the slightest idea…I’m not sure how far Aaron intends to take this. I would think the ending was coming in the next year or two but I’m no fortune-teller, all I do know is next year comes the 50th issue and it seems they’re going to build up to it with quite a few interesting things I can’t wait to read (if the solicits are telling the truth).

Unknown Soldier

Unknown Soldier #23
Another of the cancelled books this year, Unknown Soldier was one of the best stories on shelves this year. Period. It’s that book where the creators put far more effort into it then they had to, but they did so because they actually cared about what they were putting out. It was that book that picked up a part of the world most of us will never see or experience and let us share in it. The book was filled with research and accuracy was always important to Joshua Dysart, the only fill-in artist ever on the book (#13-14) comes from the area of the world the book features.

If you don’t know already, the book takes place in Africa, Northern Uganda (Acholiland) to be specific although it does move around to other African countries at times. It doesn’t take place in the present, it takes place in the past few years, yet I believe it will still retain its power decades into the future. What Unknown Soldier is, is taking an old DC concept from the war comics of the 50’s and combining it with a war unlike any of those seen in said comics.

However, although the character Unknown Soldier is a DC character, truth be told the term predates DC and is actually commonly used as part of the term “The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier”. Now I’m not going to get all encyclopedic on you all because I can’t do it in an interesting way, but rest assured, Dysart keeps Unknown Soldier informative to the plight of real people while still crafting a story that can get any action fan excited.

Unlike many other books that get cancelled over the years, Unknown Soldier did not go out with a cliffhanger, some page that tells you what became of everyone (well actually there is one of those but it’s as a supplement, not the finale itself) or just an abrupt end that doesn’t feel conclusive at all…it ends. It ends how it should always have ended. Dysart proved himself capable of what few others are, the ability to take news of a cancellation and spin in into one of the greatest endings a comic has ever had…I can name very few legitimately great endings because unfortunately comics don’t like to end and it almost always seems the ones that do, did so because of low sales. Unknown Soldier is a twenty-five issue read (four trades come May) and definitely a MUST-read for anyone who wants to see how to end a comic or how to just write one in general. And the art is fantastic, don’t forget, Ponticelli is very talented as proved by the fact that even though he drew all but #13-14, if you look at the issues before that gap and those afterward you probably wouldn’t even know it was the same artist, he has proven himself capable of drawing in more then one style. As for Dave Johnson’s covers? Check them out for yourself…simply beautiful. It was fun, Dave.

The Unwritten

The Unwritten #17
My favorite of the three ongoings launched last year, and one of my favorite ongoings this year…The Unwritten is definitely living up to the potential it possessed last year and I only see it reaching new heights in future years. The writing and art continue to be top notch from one of the finest creative teams in the industry and the story only gets better and better. The concept is brilliant and thus far has not been damaged in any way, in fact it has only gotten more intriguing as new plot threads appear.

I have to admit, when reading this series, what really gets my mind whirring is the organization that opposes our heroic trio. Ever since #5 they have raced through my head. To see some of their inner workings in the recent 18 issue while still having so much mystery surrounding them...I am still fascinated to learn more of them as the series progresses.

Of course, there has always been a flaw in Unwritten that wasn't present in this team’s more renown work Lucifer…and that is, I don’t feel that attached to the characters. At least not yet. It’s the story that has me so invested but whereas I can feel a connection with Lucifer, Mazikeen and Elaine…with Tom Taylor, Elizabeth Hexam and Richard Savoy I feel nothing. Well, okay, that’s not entirely true…thanks to the phenomenal and very unique 17 issue of the series, I have begun to love Lizzie’s character and the interactions between characters is improving but still…I’m not quite there yet, but maybe part of the journey is growing to love the characters because as of right now, I still love the comic so someone must be doing something right. This is a great book to check out for a unique wish-you-thought-of-it concept and I’ll definitely stick with it through the end.

The Unwritten in 2011?: Twenty issues in and I still feel like we’re just getting warmed up, I’m hoping this book still has several years ahead of it…I feel like this book could be an epic when it‘s completed on par with the books featured within it.

Minis/One-Shots

Although the ongoings are what keep me reading comics from week to week, every few weeks it’s nice to get a self-contained book or perhaps over a span of a few months get a short story…although I admit I have a much harder time keeping up with all the original graphic novels that get released then I do the ongoing comics, I almost always find the experience to be very much worth it. They find a way of drawing you in…and before you know it, the story’s over.

The Bronx Kill

The Bronx Kill
This year the Vertigo Crime books have taken off, with only two released last year for its launch, this year another half dozen came out. Let me tell you, there is some great content in this line but I think my favorite this year (although it was a hard choice) was The Bronx Kill by Peter Milligan and James Romberger. Vertigo Crime books are noir stories, done in black and white naturally, and this one did a perfect job capturing the feel of the genre: the pervading sense of dread, the unanswered questions and of course the ending that is not happily ever after.

Noir comics are not for people who are looking for an uplifting story, but they are some of the most enjoyable books to watch unfold (like 100 Bullets for example). The Bronx Kill is definitely one of those, between pages 46 and 48 the twist if you will, occurs, and from that point on I found myself engulfed in the story, I had to know what happened, I felt Martin’s plight. And then of course you start questioning everyone in your mind, what’s really going on…and well, when you find out the real answer, it’s certainly far from disappointing but it’s not what I expected (which is a good thing if you ask me).

This book is definitely proof that the Vertigo Crime is a successful effort on the part of Vertigo, and that preview they’re running on next year’s Rat Catcher…I love this line.

Daytripper

Daytripper #8
Although the first issue came out last December, the latter nine came out this year and wow, when this was going, it was definitely one of the hottest books every month. I’m just going to throw this out there because it’s not a secret anymore as it was when the story was kicking off but the main character (Bras) dies at the end of every issue. No he doesn’t have superpowers, he’s just a regular guy. Before we had the ending some people would get quite curious how this was possible.

I on the other hand was not…I loved each and every one of those first eight issues, the poignancy of the death was never lost on me…of course I’m that guy who reads a zombie story and DOES NOT want to know how the outbreak started, I couldn’t care less, I think giving away the real answer is the wrong choice. I didn’t want to know if the real Bras lived to the ripe old age of 117 or was miscarried several months into pregnancy, I liked the idea of a new take on his life every issue.

If you haven’t figured it out, they did give us the real Bras in the end…which I guess I should admit was not a bad thing, done how it was it didn’t ruin any of the previous stories and it answered people’s questions and I still think the series is one of the finest ideas in a comic. I want to see books like this in English classes (not that kids these days actually pay any attention and I should know seeing as I was in a high school English class seven months ago).

Now, I’m a trade guy but I’m not a real fan of the hardcover format. Unfortunately as of now I believe that is the only format this book is being released in…so…I personally prefer the single issues but a lot of people like hardcover’s so it’s probably meant as an honor for the book so definitely pick it up in single issues or hardcover, whichever you prefer, you won’t be disappointed (unless you want superhero vs. superhero action, they don’t have that here).

Demo Vol. II

Demo Vol. II #6
Demo, the first volume, is a brilliant and acclaimed collection of twelve issues, all there own beginning and end, that was published seven years ago by indie publisher AiT/Planet Lar. The book helped bring attention to two very talented people in the comics medium (writer Brian Wood and artist Becky Cloonan) who are one of the best creative teams in the industry as well as both amazing on their own or when paired with others. But it is always a treat when the two unite again for something and a second Demo series, well, that news had me ecstatic!

The original Demo series was collected in a single trade paperback by Vertigo, and since Brian Wood is writing two ongoings at the imprint currently and has been for a few years it seemed only natural it is where the new Demo series would find it’s home. One of the best things about Demo Vol. II is that despite its ties to the second biggest comic publisher out there, it still has that indie feel to it, an identity all its own. Each and every issue is so personal with its own set of back-up features such as a column from both Brian and Becky about working on Demo and various sketches, previews of the upcoming issues, you could forget the book is published by the same people who give us all those books that have the same back-up features in every issue for the week (or sometimes the month).

As Brian says, what makes Demo so great is you couldn’t imagine it without Brian or Becky. They make the series what it is and it’s fantastic. The books were originally a play on the teen superhero thing that was all the rage, with young people possessing superpowers. But unlike the X-Men for example, all these stories took place in the real world. There were no costumes or experienced people with powers to teach, it was just a young person with another problem or gift that made them different. As much as I enjoyed the original series, I feel like this second series (although half the length, at only six issues) blew the original one out of the water.

Both Brian and Becky have developed over the years in the comic industry and I feel like it shows, the stories in these issues are nothing short of beautiful. Not a one of them doesn’t deserve some sort of recognition on a list of the best single issues of the year. There’ll be a trade collecting them coming out soon if you want to wait, but either way, just read it. “Indie” comics at their best.

Hellblazer: City of Demons

City of Demons #4
City of Demons was Vertigo’s first comic released two times a month and being only five issues, it flew by pretty fast…it is also the most recent release in this portion of the article, having just ended earlier this month. A spin-off of Hellblazer, City of Demons is a John Constantine story written by Si Spencer (Vinyl Underground, Books of Magick) and drawn by Sean Murphy (Joe the Barbarian).

The book is still fresh so I haven’t had time to let it sit and look back on it and give it another read-through but I do already look back on it with fondness. Right off the bat, Sean Murphy’s art is stunning, I love his style and it works perfectly with this story, which is a great story. Continuity-wise I’m not sure where it fits, but I’m not too concerned about that, this is definitely John and the story holds true to some details about him fans would know while introducing a whole new story that -as G-Man would say-, has no consequences, but as I would say, certainly still retains its value.

I don’t think you need to be a Hellblazer fan to read this mini, it certainly has no ties to the current story going on in Hellblazer but then again Hellblazer is mapping the life of a man over decades, it’s quite acceptable to pick and choose chapters of his life to enjoy if you so desire. But it is a horror story, just like the main series, and not all the monsters are demons.

Vertigo Resurrected: Shoot

Vertigo Resurrected #1
Now, if you’re reading DC comics, you may have noticed they are releasing a bunch of 100-Page Spectaculars and the like that serve as collections without having to make a trade paperback. That idea has been passed on to DC’s imprint as well only they have a fancy name for it: Vertigo Resurrected. Because, there, you know…resurrecting old stories from Vertigo’s rich back-catalog.

To be honest, the books don’t mean too much to me personally because I read tons of uncollected books from Vertigo’s back-catalog all the time. However, with the launch of these books came something that did interest me, quite a bit actually. Shoot.

For those of you who don’t know, Warren Ellis used to write Hellblazer back in the late 90’s…he was intended to be the ongoing writer for the run that never was. Looking back you’ll find a six-issue arc that only has four issues out and while you may just naturally assume it’s another Desolation Jones, the fact is the run ended prematurely due to censorship. “Shoot” was that censored story…due to its nature and the recent events of Columbine, a certain DC executive stated that the story would not see print while he was in power.

As it happens, due to the power shift in DC, the story was brought to print (to the surprise of Ellis) and unlike the leaked version that could be read online for years, the one printed is in color. Now, I admit a lot of the excitement for the issue is that it’s a defeat of censorship but the story itself is definitely one of Ellis’ best and even though I feel it’s a “too little, too late” situation, I think people should definitely give it a read…if you’re a fan of Ellis, a fan of Hellblazer or an advocate against censorship, maybe? Although I could see how it would rub some people the wrong way, there’s nothing wrong with the issue, no more then any other comic that sees print. Plus, it comes with a bunch of random short stories from Vertigo anthologies by some of the industry greats…so it’s definitely worth the price if Vertigo is your thing.

New Ongoing

This year, there were only two new ongoings launched (ironically both are “monster” books technically speaking) and although I found it difficult to choose one over the other as my favorite of the year, I have to give it to American Vampire. I, Zombie is fun and right now the two are neck in neck in what great things could be in store for them but I feel American Vampire established itself more this year then I, Zombie.

American Vampire

American Vampire #7
To be honest, I feel like this book has been marketed far too much as an obvious side-effect of the vampire crazy…but that is only because I hate it being lumped in with said craze, I legitimately think it’s a great book that stands all its own. But it does get special treatment, the first five issues were extra-length with two stories each (one from creator Scott Snyder and one from guest writer Stephen King). Each had a variant cover by some notable artist in the industry from Jim Lee to Bernie Wrightson or Andy Kubert. Plus, even though I personally find them the lesser quality I know the world deems them superior, it gets the hardcover collection treatment rather then the trade paperback. So with all that, it becomes a pricey purchase in comparison to the other Vertigo books, it’s main flaw.

Content-wise, it is far from a bad story so don’t worry about that. Like all vampire stories, it is a new take on the mythology that has been changed so often few probably know what a vampire originally was meant to be…thankfully it still retains the horror element that is so essential to vampire fiction, whilst intertwining the lives of the vampires within to American history. Granted, the series is still new so I’m not sure how far Snyder plans to take the idea of his vampires growing through the decades but so far we’ve seen the Old West of the late 1800’s, the Hollywood of the 1920’s and currently the Las Vegas of the 1930’s.

Due to the immortality of vampires, time skips of a decade at a time are perfectly acceptable and double as a writing device when say, some child swears revenge and then, next arc they’re a full-grown woman enacting that revenge. Admittedly, I could see this being overused with new characters being introduced, growing up, etc. while our main characters remain ageless but so far I am liking it. Although as a Canadian, I lack American pride, but I do enjoy seeing the concept of America’s new breed of vampire crushing the various breeds of vampires that have held sway for centuries…a parallel to historical events in a way.

I’m a little disappointed the weakness of this vampire has been discovered so early as I never was a fan of say, Kryptonite being used whenever someone needs to best Superman. Yet I still have high hopes for this series, vampire fiction is hard to do without pulling a few things we’ve seen before (considering the vast abundance of it) but as long as it’s done well and can stand on its own, I’m there.

Blast from the Past

Every year Vertigo prints a lot of collections, mostly collecting current titles, but of course they also collect old stuff from years ago before the trade paperback was popular. Sadly, they are far from properly utilizing the potential in bringing forgotten classics to new generations as they spend way too much of their efforts in reprinting the same comics over and over in new formats rather then putting original stuff out but hey, they’re trying and the stuff they push is definitely top-notch but once you’ve read it once, you want to see something new on the shelves…however, the least we can do is check out what they’re pushing so hard (I’ve read all the highly acclaimed stuff already myself…) and maybe even get a new title or two out of the deal (…which is why I’m at this stage).

Human Target

Human Target #1
Although the push is obviously due to that television series (rolls eyes) that misses the entire premise of the comic, this is one push I’m thankful for. Before I continue, to explain my comment about the TV show, this is not the same complaint you hear about comic book movies. It’s not a situation of just not capturing the feel of the comic, I mean the Hulk movie still had a green guy in shorts wreaking havoc, Daredevil still had a blind lawyer, but Human Target…it has a bodyguard…that has NOTHING to do with the comic! The Human Target doesn’t stand in front of people to take bullets for them, he becomes said person so they can be truly safe while he’s in harm’s way and dispatches his enemies while wearing their target’s face.

More importantly, Peter Milligan took it took the next level by making the book about losing your own identity because you become so invested in taking on the identities of others you forget who you really are. Peter Milligan is top notch here and it’s a shame the series was only ever half collected as it’s a brilliant read-through from beginning to end. So in that regard, I appreciate this push, although so far only the first trade has appeared (collecting the first two) and a second has been solicited (collecting the third and fourth trades)…this leads hope that a third trade will collect the last eleven issues that were never put in trade form before…which is good for me to defend my love of the series as two of my favorite arcs occur in those last issues.

But for now in the very least, I’d recommend you check out Chance Meetings (the first trade)…it collects the miniseries and OGN that led up to the ongoing and gives you a good feel for what Milligan’s Human Target was all about. A lot of action, identity swaps you never saw coming and most importantly…the human struggle for identity that Christopher Chance must face each and every day…assuming Christopher Chance exists at all.

The Sandman

The Sandman #1
I’ll keep this blurb short. Most people have read Sandman, I mean my copy of the first of the ten trades says “17 Printing” which is only a few less then my copy of Watchmen which is from around the same time period and has the distinct advantage of being a superhero comic and only twelve issues. The Sandman is an established classic, one of the big game-changers and in fact it is the reason the Vertigo imprint exists at all…Sandman related releases have come out essentially every single year of the imprint’s existence. What’s a big deal about this year (and what I admit has me a little bitter) is that a year after I purchased all ten trades of The Sandman they have decided to re-release them all as new editions with…you guessed, the improved coloring of the four Absolute editions they released in the past few years.

This is bad news for all of us who aren’t made of money and already own The Sandman but for those of you who are late to the party, take advantage of it and rub it in my face! If it gets more people reading Sandman I’m all for it…only the first three trades have the re-coloring so far but the fourth is solicited and considering the fact that it’s THE SANDMAN! I’m pretty sure the last six trades will come out soon enough.

Shade, the Changing Man

Shade, the Changing Man #1
Yes, I did bring it up last year when the second trade came out but I bring it up again for a reason. This is one of my personal favorites amongst the thousands of comics I’ve read, it doesn’t have the most acclaim, it has its dips in the seventy-issue run but it was something different and has a feel to it I’ve never found in another comic, it appeals to a side of me that most comics briefly -if ever- touch on. Written by one of the most underappreciated men in the business, Peter Milligan, this comic was never collected. Of all the Vertigo launch titles, this one has gotten the least appreciation…I’m going to try and make up for that.

This year a third trade came out in the summer, which combined with the first two means the first nineteen issues have been collected (The American Scream saga). Although there is some absolutely bloody amazing stuff in there, the beauty of The Changing Man is the title wasn’t just a name, it actually worked its way through the series. If you only read a part of the series, you’ll never experience the full character as he has gone through several distinct eras of his life, my personal favorite being the one from #33-50.

I tell you this because not only am I recommending the series but I am distinctly asking that you buy the trades, Vertigo doesn’t always have the best track record when it comes to fully collecting a comic and I don’t want people to only have a portion of such a masterpiece available to them. So if the story of an alien falling in love with a woman, while inhabiting the body of the serial killer who murdered her parents and broke her sanity…meanwhile, drawing his energies from the Area of Madness that effects the world around it like a plague of craziness…interests you then please check out the trades. Think of it to Milligan what Invisibles was to his friend Morrison, one bizarre comic that just overwhelms you with excitement.

Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing #20
Now there have been a lot of Swamp Thing writers through the years, some better then others…my personal favorite happens to be Brian K. Vaughan but technically speaking his series was about Tefé rather than her father. Regardless of my personal tastes, the most acclaimed writer of the character is without a doubt none other then Mr. Alan Moore himself. So it should come as no surprise that his run which was previously collected in trade paperback format is getting the hardcover treatment with the third volume coming out this year, and the fourth slated for the next.

Admittedly Moore’s Swamp Thing was the last of the “essential” Vertigo reads I crossed off my list but it was definitely a great read. Again, not my favorite, but when Moore had his high points in the series, they were definitely high. What I appreciate most about Moore’s work here is he paved the way for the comics I adore that would follow, getting rid of the censorship that is the Comics Code of Authority. Swamp Thing is a great horror book, it has some sci-fi too which was admittedly a little weird, but despite some low points (for example, the event that was “The End” felt more like it was trying to one-up the Crisis of Infinite Earths rather then being a great story), the run is worth a read if you’re a Moore enthusiast or want to see where “darker” comics got their start.

#20-39 is my favorite portion of his work, after that there is some good moments every so often but not until #51 does he start to regain the momentum I initially enjoyed and then it takes that weird sci-fi tangent which spun out issues on both sides of the quality spectrum. But if you want to know the biggest reason why it should be read, it’s where John Constantine first appeared!

Transmetropolitan

Transmetropolitan #1
Transmetropolitan is in my opinion, Warren Ellis’ best work…the fact that it’s one of the few things he’s worked on that he ever completed, and at its intended publishing rate too is merely a plus. Originally published through DC’s science-fiction imprint Helix, after that imprint died, the series continued on as its legacy with Vertigo publishing #13-60 at its new home. Penciled by Darick Robertson, the futuristic world that Transmetropolitan inhabits is always so enjoyable to explore…the details that Darick put into every panel of The City is mind-blowing, especially considering he drew every issue.

The comic has already been collected successfully in ten trades (eleven if you count Tales of Human Waste) but last year, what with the After Watchmen event and all, Vertigo decided to publish new editions of all the trades. Although I did say I would like to see Vertigo dedicate more of its resources to collecting the uncollected, at this stage I’d just like to them to finish what they started since in 2009 they released five trades, while in 2010 they only released three…and only one of the last two has even been solicited at this point and they’ve already released the Summer 2011 list.

Unfortunately every Transmetropolitan read is a short one, or at least they were for me, and the series gains momentum as it chugs along so to slow down the publishing rate seems the backwards route to go. Regardless, old editions or new editions, Transmetropolitan is a brilliant concept that Ellis writes to perfection. Although it’s sci-fi, it’s not the space travel kind, just the future kind. It’s not a pretty future, the book is really all about the parallels we see to the present and where this world is headed but to keep us from just getting depressed about this stark realization, we have been given Spider Jerusalem: one of the best comic characters ever conceived.

You’ll have plenty of laughs reading through Transmetropolitan, just as you’ll find yourself experiencing many profound moments. From the hilarity of Monstering! to the grimness of Business, Transmet has it all.

Covers

This is the part where I type less and let pictures do the talking as I bring up some of my favorite covers of the year. Also, two of my categories from last year changed names because the name is really only there to find a way to highlight a cover I liked, it doesn’t have to be a funny or sexy cover that catches my eye every year.

Best First Issue Cover

City of Demons #1

This year, I gave the award to Sean Murphy’s cover for the first issue of Hellblazer: City of Demons…most first issue covers feature the protagonist in a pose of some sort so it’s sort of hard to critique that, but I do love Murphy’s art so much and think it was great to see his Constantine…plus Dave Stewart’s colors really bring the image to life. 

Best Final Issue Cover

Unknown Soldier #25

The cover to the last issue of a series is the signal of a goodbye, that the journey you and that book shared has come to an end…what better way to send that book off then with a bullet to the head! I love Dave Johnson’s covers, his one hundred 100 Bullets covers are great, I’ve seen some of his masterpieces on Marvel comics recently and then of course his Unknown Soldier. The only time I was ever disappointed with a cover of his was the one solicited for #23, and as it turns out that wasn’t the cover on the actual comic so Dave never failed me. His special signature on the cover was a pleasant surprise as I was admiring it the first time. 

Best Fourth-Wall Breaking Cover

House of Mystery #25

I love Esao Andrews’ artwork, which is why he was my Cover Artist of the Year in 2009 but in picking one of his covers from this year I went with #25 because it’s both horrific and humorous at the same time. Although people who just see the cover might not realize it, the cover has nothing to do with the actual contents of the issue, rather it is a play on words and represents what the creators did with the issue. The Exquisite Corpse (pictured in the cover) is actually a term related to writers working on the same story and trying to write the one following them into a jam they can’t get out of. The five arms tugging at the corpse represent the five writers who participated in the game for this issue (which was definitely fun and actually had stuff that related to the rest of the series!). Great cover. 

Best Unsettling Cover

Scalped #41

Jock has been doing some great covers for Scalped…but if I had to just pick one… 

Best Cover Artist

Hellblazer #271

There was no competition, the Biz takes this one with ease…his career is full of great covers but the Hellblazer ones he has been decorating Milligan’s run with are his best yet. The greatness really extends all the way back to #256 from last year but included in my absolute favorite covers of all time (it’s a big list) are a few from this year such as #268-271...but again, all of them are good…and the fact that he has managed to do not just the covers but some occasional interiors for the book is worth a mention. I wish he had more artwork out there! 

Honorable Mentions

This is my very brief two cents on everything else that came out. 

• 3 Stars or Lower: Best to Probably Pass it Up
  • 3.5-4 Stars: Good Read but Not My First Choice
  • 4.5-5 Stars: Worth Checking Out

100%: A new edition of the trade was released, one of my favorite love stories in comic form, but Paul Pope is not for everyone, his artistic style is perhaps a little too original. Between this and his other series at Vertigo (Heavy Liquid) I'd pick this one up if given the choice. 5 Stars

Air: Cancelled this year due to low sales, Air was never one of my favorite titles, but not because it was bad, because it lacked the momentum that would lead me to anticipate the next issue every month. It was a trade read for me. Unfortunately, it's proof that REAL (not gimmicky) comics by women, about women, for everyone don't survive in this industry. 4 Stars 

Area 10: Part of the Vertigo Crime line, one of the most interesting concepts, never thought I'd get so interested in trepanation. 4.5 Stars

The Chill: Loved this book, another of the Vertigo Crime line, the ending was one of the craziest things I never saw coming, great blend of the supernatural and mystery. 5 Stars 

Cinderella: From Fabletown with Love: Miniseries not by the Fables creative team spotlighting Cinderella? I wasn't as averse to the idea as some and the story wasn't bad but it didn't really capture what I love about Fables. 3.5 Stars 

Codename: Knockout: They collected some of the first issues in trade, as fun as this book was I don't feel it stands up next to many other Vertigo books, it was never really more than a fun time but if you like boobs, you'll love this. 3.5 Stars 

Dark Entries: Released in trade format, awesome John Constantine story, part of the Vertigo Crime line. I loved it. 5 Stars 

DMZ: Although there are some amazing points, this series doesn't build momentum and just stays at a constant level. Another trade read. 4.5 Stars 

The Executor: Vertigo Crime novel, not as good as some of the others but still enjoyable. 3.5 Stars 

Fables: Had a slow year, but #100 did come out, all in all this is one of my favorite titles but it reads much better in trade then as an ongoing. 4.5 Stars 

Filthy Rich: Also released in trade format, another Vertigo Crime book, I think it got overshadowed by Dark Entries for me but still a good book in its own right. 4 Stars 

Fogtown: Vertigo Crime novel. 4 Stars 

Greek Street: The ending was week but the series was also cancelled without the writer getting time to wrap things up, victim of the industry. 3.5 Stars 

Haunted Tank: Collected the miniseries, deals with current issues and doesn't leave me rolling my eyes. 4 Stars 

Hellblazer: Pandemonium: OGN to celebrate JC existing for 25 years...written by the original Hellblazer writer, I liked it more then most of his run, good stuff. 4.5 Stars 

House of Mystery: This series continues to excite me with every issue, still has the best cliffhangers. Plus the Halloween Annuals are the bomb! 4.5 Stars 

I, Zombie: Fun new series with great art from Mike Allred, still new but the most recent issue has gotten me excited, definitely a lot of potential here. 5 Stars 

Jack of Fables: This series took a downward spiral this year, worst build-up to an epic finale in quite some time. I still love me some classic Jack of Fables but this year I couldn't recommend without feeling bad about what my rep. 3 Stars 

Joe the Barbarian: Very interesting limited series from Grant Morrison and Sean Murphy, still have a lot of questions but the final issue isn't even SOLICITED and it's been months! I'm pissed but the story is good, just wait to check it out until they put out the final issue. 4 Stars 

The Losers: Pushed because of the movie, this was a very enjoyable series, not my usual thing but it had some great action and Max was an awesome villain. Not very much like the movie though. 4.5 Stars 

Luna Park: Re-released in trade, the art in this thing is AMAZING! It just pulls me in and I find myself lost in a great story too. 4.5 Stars 

Neil Young's Greendale: Believe it's based off a story from an album I've never listened to...it was an interesting concept nonetheless even to a non-hippie like myself. 3.5 Stars 

The Nobody: Re-released as a trade paperback, this was Lemire before Sweet Tooth, loved every page of it. 5 Stars 

Northlanders: Metal has probably been my favorite arc of this series yet and The Sea Road was an amazing one-shot, this series just keeps getting stronger and the best part is every arc is entirely accessible to a new reader. 5 Stars

Other Lives: Weird, but comical. The world of Second Life (something I've never heard of) seemed very...odd. 4 Stars 

Preacher: Released some new hardcovers, this is still a must-read, very funny but also deals with some very serious stuff. 5 Stars 

Sandman Mystery Theatre: This was a great series from the early days of Vertigo, unfortunately it's not as easy to hype up to your reads friends as some other classics. Great detective stories, it's a very set pattern book with the whole "Villain of the Week" format, only it doesn't get old. 4.5 Stars 

Stuck Rubber Baby: The 15th Anniversary printing of this widely-acclaimed graphic novel...at times it felt lengthy but I never lost interest. Worth a read just because of the book's place in comic history. 4.5 Stars

Sweet Tooth: Really came into its own this year, the most recent arc has really been getting me excited, can't wait to see more from this series. 5 Stars

Y: The Last Man: More deluxe editions, this too is an established must-read...BRILLIANT! I love you BKV! 5 Stars 

Young Liars: Final trade of the series cancelled last year, a good trade but only if you're into very mind-bending comics...I personally preferred the first two trades myself. 4 Stars

UNREAD 

Cuba: My Revolution: Biographical OGN 
Dark Rain: A New Orleans Story: Based in the Aftermath of Katrina OGN 
The Green Woman: Loved the Preview OGN 
How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less: Biographical OGN 
Revolver: G-Man did a Video Review OGN 
A Sickness in the Family: I actually had this on order...Vertigo Crime OGN    
#1 Posted by vincethekid (69 posts) - - Show Bio

Excellent review.  Your spot on with all the titles you listed.  I'm a big VERTIGO guy myself.  I was really bummed at DC for pulling back it's properties. I just don't understand why either?  Madame Xanadu could have been the next SANDMAN.  The first trade with Amy Reeder is amazing.  I def need to check out Daytripper and Unwritten for sure.  I didn't know Unknown Soldier was that good, I've been sleeping on that one too. I'll catch up.  You've given me a lot to work with.

Thanks again. 

-The Kid

#2 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (262 posts) - - Show Bio

Hot damn, you read a lot of Vertigo this year! Time to read my 2nd volume of The Unwritten now, I would say...

#3 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@vincethekid: Thank you! And yes, it seemed very odd at first that DC took back its properties but I'm starting to think it was in relation to them folding their other imprints...the part that upsets me is DC never really did anything with various characters Vertigo used and so they were established by the imprint, rather then by DC...but at least Hellblazer remains (and House of Mystery oddly enough). I agree that Madame Xanadu could have risen to join other acclaimed epics but I am happy with the stories that were told, at least it can still be re-read and enjoyed fully unlike some other books that get cut short. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts on these books after you do check them out, I sincerely think Unknown Soldier is deserving of respect from the industry, it was an exquisite piece and very powerful...as it was going on, I never knew what was coming next but now that it's done and I can look at it from beginning to end, the story was perfect.
#4 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@UnsolvedParadox: And I plan to read a lot more next year! The eighth and twelfth issues (contained in that trade) are two of the best in the series, I absolutely love them...one's comedic, the other's tragic...but both are amazing.
#5 Posted by etragedy (1050 posts) - - Show Bio

O.K., so what is up with D.C. wanting it's properties back? (Not that they don't already own them - Vertigo is just a D.C. imprint, right?) Have any of the hard-hitting journalists of this site written about this in an article I missed? If so, could somebody please link it? Because this move really makes no sense to me at all. Thanks.

#6 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio

I absolutely loved what you wrote! I agree so much I wish I wrote it...lol
Naw, honestly, you represent the imprint better then I can.  I show my Hellblazer bias and I feel a little bitter still with the imprint.  You have been scorned just like me, but can still say so much nice thing about the imprint.  Nice and true things, this is the best "Vertigo Round-Up" any comicvine user could write.  I am so recommending this as the What to check out Vertigo link when someone asks me.  Not because you clearly explained the reasons I love Hellblazer from HB:COD to Dark Entries (soft cover) to Swamp Thing... but you also didn't go the easy way and talk "Fables this" and "Fables that", this article shows you are the Vertigo expert on the Vine. 

Cheers! To Vertigo and hopefully if sales of Madame Xanadu and The Unknown Solider spike stupidly high, Didiot will realize he is not making the right choices. 

The only "Blast from the past" I think was missing was The Invisibles.  With Grant Morrison'w Batman and X-Men, the mainstream readers really need to read The Invisibles.  It is all about barbelith.

#7 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@etragedy: yes, Vertigo is just a DC imprint...but I believe the only explanation DC has ever given on the matter is they want Vertigo to be a home for creator-owned projects solely 

(I haven't seen an article about it on there though)
#8 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
I need to read Shoot.
#9 Posted by JPJordan (16 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel your pain in regards to the new releases of Sandman.  I just bought all 10 volumes about a year ago myself.  I don't regret it cuz they're incredible, but man that new artwork is really nice.

#10 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silkcuts: Thank you, thank you, hopefully you have a lot of people asking you for a Vertigo 2010 wrap-up because I spent at least an hour writing this baby up :P 

You know, I always do gain pleasure from someone reading a comic because I recommended it and then enjoying it (well that's the best part) so I do hope the Madame Xanadu and Unknown Soldier trades do get a resurgence, they really are some great books. I could definitely see them higher-ranked then some other books DC has placed in their "Classics" lists. 

Btw, I wasn't sure you'd agree with my thoughts on Swamp Thing, you're not just being polite are you? 

And I limited the section to books that were given new collections/editions this year although The Invisibles is indeed a good book, the Grant Morrison documentary has made me appreciate it all the more. But doesn't Morrison believe all his comics are connected? On the ComicVine page for Crazy Jane it says he claims she and Ragged Robin are the same person (even though DCU-wise, they can't be as they are in entirely different universes).
#11 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Morpheus_: that you do, my friend, it has that 90's feel to it in regard to the subject matter but it's a great Ellis story nonetheless and flowed well with the other stories he wrote it alongside
#12 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio

Minus the Moorse verses BKV of course.  BKV did not write Alec, he wrote Tefe, so I don't count is as true Swamp Thing.  It is Tefe's story.  Moore is still the best traditional swamp thing writer because he was daring and experimental, some of it is dated I can admit, but The American gothic arc (The John Constantine arcs, about trades 3-4) are still great today.   Tefe's story is great and I've debated on leather bounding my issues because it really was a forgotten (overlooked) BKV work.

It wouldn't surprise me if that is who Morrison writes his stories.  Them being the same giant Archetype and just "Different" avatars to serve different roles.  This is why I feel I get his Batman since I've read a fair chuck of his work... please Vertigo Resurrect Flex Mentallo.  I can loose the cover's I'll be fine with that... as long as I can get the chance to read the rest of it.

#13 Posted by Vortex13 (12223 posts) - - Show Bio

They canceled so many series that I liked. It made me sad. Greek Street, Madame Xanadu, Unknown Soldier. Greek Street was the one that made me sad the most though because it didn't even get that great of a chance and I felt it could have kept going. Unknown Soldier ended in a way I thought was fitting for the series though, and I loved that last shot. Madame Xanadu was another that I thought ended a little too soon but it again had a fitting end to it and it was kind of open ended which makes complete sense seeing as she is a character that would continue to play a role in Vertigo/DC comics after the time period that her series ends.

#14 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@jpjordan: glad I'm not the only one who feels cheated a little here...granted, I love the feel of the colors with the original publications...but I still would love to be able to just go to my trades one day and find they've been updated to the Absolute Edition colors, it seems only fair...but then again, that's one of the things that always worries me with Vertigo trades, you get the whole set and then they make new editions...basically every major Vertigo series has had more than one edition of trade paperbacks 

@Silkcuts: I agree, that BKV did not write Swamp Thing that is, I was simply saying I prefer his comic entitled Swamp Thing over Moore's...but Moore really did develop the character and make him something interesting...but those issues where he'd start to take the focus away from Swamp Thing, I feel is where I find the flaws in his epic...but that's just personal opinion, it was still a good story, definitely essential if you want to know about Swamp Thing
#15 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vortex13: ah yes, I know how you feel...every few weeks getting an announcement of another series getting cancelled really sucked...I could see it coming for some of them but it still really disappointed me. I do agree on your points about each of the book's endings, Madame Xanadu and Unknown Soldier both ended in a way that years from now someone can go check it out and never even know the books ended prematurely because the endings worked perfectly...but Greek Street, having to resort to a deus ex machina was too bad...I thought the series was really growing and then all of a sudden you get the news two more issues left and Milligan had to hurriedly wrap it all up...the book didn't stand a chance...I want to see Milligan get an ongoing that continues until he's finished with it, after all he's done for the publisher, I'm hoping Hellblazer will be that for him.
#16 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost:  I don't blame you with the enjoyment of BKV's run.  It is many years younger.  Moore, like I said was daring and experimental.  It is the Superman to Mature reads.  Cheesy at times, not for everyone, but it is that "inspiration".   I feel I can see Moore's influence on BKV's writing. This is why BKV's Swamp is great, but I love Moore's so much.  I am surprised that Vertigo did not reprint BKV's Swamp Thing into a few trades or one omnibus. But I also thing Vol. 2 needs to be collected better, Swamp Thing after Veitch and before Millar wouldn't sell and that is the problem.  I do think that Veitch's lost stories should see print and then may be Gaiman would write his lost stories he held back because of the political stance to support his friend.  These could serve as "elseworlds" or the true DCU versions and let the Vertigo stories be Vertigo stories.  This is where I think DC dropped the ball.

If they wanted Swampy back, they should of handled it better.  Let China do his thing and give Alec an Ending... may be even let Tefe join the Hellblazer cast.  Then from the point where the trouble started (Veitch's Jesus story), release that as a alternate universe starting point.  Gaiman could usher in the DCU version and the Vertigo Version could be left alone.
#17 Posted by Yumulu (762 posts) - - Show Bio

You forgot to give stars to Northlanders.

#18 Posted by Mumbles (846 posts) - - Show Bio

very nice write up. thanks for taking time to write it

#19 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Yumulu: ah, whoops, well it's in the 4.5-5 star category definitely...the stuff from the latter half of the year and coming up is definitely 5 stars so I'll make that my answer 

@Mumbles: thank you, anything interest you specifically?
#20 Edited by johnny_spam (2031 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel so bad this year I was not able to read as many comics as I wanted to and Vertigo I feel bad about not being able to read as much this year because I use to pick up Vertigo trades all the time. 

I will read Unwritten volume 2 loved the first book I would like to check out American Vampire but the hardcover release annoys me since Vertigo volume ones are usually cheap softcovers. 

Scalped, Sweet Tooth and Bronx Kill are are on my list to read.  

Not a big fan of Brian Wood or House of Mystery love Fables (though I am behind) and Dark Entries.   

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, Y the Last Man and Sandman really are all must reads.

#21 Posted by NightFang (9866 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mumbles said:
" very nice write up. thanks for taking time to write it "
#22 Posted by Yumulu (762 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice article, even if I feel that your a way to generous with some titles... Afther reading it seems that you actually liked everything you've read from Vertigo this year.

#23 Posted by mrtrickster (2307 posts) - - Show Bio

honestly, me personally thinks american vampire is the best ongoing title in vertigo this year 

#24 Posted by danhimself (22276 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost:  pfft you act like you're some Vertigo expert or something 

nice job on the article and way to go on having it on the front page
#25 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

Plenty of these I've not heard of but that's what I like.  Article is a bit lengthy, will have to read it again in awhile, so much here.   

I assume "The Biz" is Simon Bisley?  I don't think everyone knows that nickname.  But you can't deny he's got a style all his own!

Still, pretty good idea to post these recommendations.  You're going to force me to read....aren't you?  Bwa Haa Ha!
#26 Posted by sora_thekey (8152 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome! I'm not the biggest Vertigo fan but I do read some titles... 
This helps to pick new Vertigo titles I might like!

#27 Posted by MikeDanger1 (16 posts) - - Show Bio

Preacher and Y the last man have really opened my eyes to a new world of comics as well as image's Walking dead and Invincible and top cow's Wanted mini-series. Now I kinda like more the independent books than the big companies. Thinking of reading Swamp thing...
#28 Posted by Sydpart2 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio

God of War didn't get any love?

#29 Posted by dvorak (187 posts) - - Show Bio

And I thought I was a Vertigo super-fan. Nice work.

#30 Posted by Mumbles (846 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: 

most of all of it. think I'm going to give the unwritten a try. along with some hellblazer. never read either, but after reading your opinion, I'm going to check them out. wish you had more of iZombie. think I'm picking that trade up cause of allred anyways.
#31 Posted by Kid_Zombie (824 posts) - - Show Bio

SWEET TOOTH is a for sure must read! What an amazing book.

#32 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

Unwritten's fantastic, can't say enough good about it. I need to read Scalped and Unknown Soldier.

#33 Edited by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Yumulu said:

" Nice article, even if I feel that your a way to generous with some titles... Afther reading it seems that you actually liked everything you've read from Vertigo this year. "

really? I don't think I said I liked everything...did you read my bit on Jack of Fables? the stars weren't stars I'd give if it was an actual review so much as just a way of fitting that scoring I had there at the beginning to say if you should check it out or not 

I admit I didn't vehemently hate anything but there's stuff I don't go out of my way to recommend because I didn't get as much enjoyment out of them as the other titles, such as: Air, Cinderella: From Fabletown with Love, Codename: Knockout, Greek Street, etc. 

Heck I even gave DMZ 4.5 stars, but not because it's one of my favorites but because it is worth checking out...I had to keep it brief, that's what the stars are for, not for the sake of an official score
#34 Posted by Bergquist (695 posts) - - Show Bio

Y the Last Man is the best book ever plus 100 bullets

#35 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself: HA! 

@Decept-O: yeah, I know it's very lengthy, it could be divided into segments like most end of the year things but people probably wouldn't retain interest over a week :P 

And yes, The Biz is Simon Bisley, I only think of it as his nickname because it's how he signs on all his covers (not with "The" but just Biz) 

I'm not forcing anyone to read anything looks around innocently

@Sydpart2: God of War is WildStorm, they do all the comics based on video game properties 

@Mumbles: it was a tough choice to pick between American Vampire and I, Zombie...but I, Zombie is a great book, it seems to be the most popular ongoing Vertigo book at ComicVine too...the series improves with each issue but I still feel like it's world-building which is why I didn't make it my favorite new ongoing as American Vampire has an established thing going on already
#36 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost:
Oh, I am just busting your chops a bit because it is obvious you love Vertigo.  Can't say I blame you.  Out of all these, though, I so need to catch up on Fables!  It'd be great if I could afford half of these books.  *sigh*  

You DID do a good job!  I should have added that.
#37 Posted by Sydpart2 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:
" @danhimself: HA! 

@Decept-O: yeah, I know it's very lengthy, it could be divided into segments like most end of the year things but people probably wouldn't retain interest over a week :P 

And yes, The Biz is Simon Bisley, I only think of it as his nickname because it's how he signs on all his covers (not with "The" but just Biz) 

I'm not forcing anyone to read anything looks around innocently

@Sydpart2:  is WildStorm, they do all the comics based on video game properties 

@Mumbles: it was a tough choice to pick between American Vampire and I, Zombie...but I, Zombie is a great book, it seems to be the most popular ongoing Vertigo book at ComicVine too...the series improves with each issue but I still feel like it's world-building which is why I didn't make it my favorite new ongoing as American Vampire has an established thing going on already "
I know it is, that's why I was wondering why it didn't get any mention...I am really digging it...then again I may be just a little bias...Kratos is a BMF
#38 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sydpart2: wait now I'm confused...why do you think it should have gotten a mention on this article? this is dedicated to wrapping up Vertigo in 2010, WildStorm is something else entirely
#39 Posted by Nighthunter (28580 posts) - - Show Bio

So I don't get a mention for introducing you to DEMO? You suck...... 

also no sweet tooth or northlanders or dmz?
#40 Posted by Sydpart2 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio

omg dude I feel so stupid. I have no idea what I was thinking...brain fart I guess...fail for me lol

#41 Posted by Mercy_ (92501 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the article you were talking about? Holy wowzers. 

#42 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (884 posts) - - Show Bio

I've just started to really dig into Veritgo this year and enjoying most of it, a few series just don't catch me, but most I thoroughly have enjoyed.

#43 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

Very Cool Tekker, @greed with most of your list @swell

#44 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey said:
" Awesome! I'm not the biggest Vertigo fan but I do read some titles... This helps to pick new Vertigo titles I might like! "
Read More VERTIGO its good for your mental health.
#45 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silkcuts: ment@l he@lth? riiight. i re@d it cuz im bout @s f#@ked in the he@d @s most of these writers lol
#46 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nighthunter: ha, you mentioned Demo Vol. 1 (back before Vol. 2 existed)...Vol. 2 is superior so I win :P 

and they are all mentioned at the bottom, I didn't want to make the thing outrageously long
#47 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" This is the article you were talking about? Holy wowzers.  "
you didn't read a single word of it, did you? 

@Darkchild: thank you, I too would have to agree that your effed in the head
#48 Posted by -Eclipse- (7507 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: I'm totally going to read this at some point, LOL 

I'm trying to keep a more open mind in comics nowadays, but this Vertigo stuff just seems too... Gritty, for my tastes...
#49 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@Darkchild said:
" @Silkcuts: ment@l he@lth? riiight. i re@d it cuz im bout @s f#@ked in the he@d @s most of these writers lol "
that is what I am saying to everyone.  You need a little bit of Vertigo because of the mind shift.  Too much Superheroes is unhealthy. Also books like the Invisibles make you think. I am B@TTY myself, but its fun seeing the world slightly off :D
#50 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silkcuts: is Gaiman even interested in comics anymore? I would have loved to have a Gaiman Swamp Thing to read...but did he actually have it already written or did he just refuse to write it and wrote that Brother Power story instead? 

but otherwise, seeing as I'm not a big continuity guy it's all okay to me...I wouldn't mind it if Swamp Thing was appearing under both publishers without any explanation...those concerned with continuity could follow the DC one...and those concerned with story could read the Vertigo one...but I will admit, Swamp Thing hasn't really had a successful run since Moore which is a shame...everyone so far that had talent has been ousted before they could finish

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.