Follow

Venom

Character » Venom appears in 2798 issues.

The Venom symbiote originally bonded with Peter Parker, AKA Spider-Man, during his adventure in the first Secret Wars on the Beyonder's planet called Battleworld. Initially, he thought the symbiote was just an attire. However, upon his discovery, he rejected it because he realized that it was sentient. Since then, the symbiote has bonded with several other hosts, including Eddie Brock, Angelo Fortunato, Flash Thompson, Ann Weying, and even Carol Danvers. Currently, its host is Eddie Brock.

'Venom' Writer and Producer Says Movie will be "Darker"

• 52 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Remember that time Topher Grace played Venom in that Spider-Man movie? It's hard to believe it was seven years ago. We were all excited about the idea of seeing Venom and Eddie Brock go after Spider-Man but then it didn't quite go as we thought it would.

No Caption Provided

With Sony pushing to build their own Spider-Man cinematic universe, we've heard bits about a Sinister Six movie, a spin-off with a female lead, and, of course, Venom. Alex Kurtzman is the writer and producer for the movie and recently talked about how he plans to go a "darker" route.

The idea is that you can do things with Venom that you can’t do with Spider-Man. Venom is the representation of every line that will get crossed. He’s a much darker character.

That is exactly the point. Venom needs to be a serious character. He's not going to be making jokes while attacking. Venom is the oportunity to take Spider-Man and twist him into a frightening nightmare of a character.

What we don't know is which version we'll get--Eddie Brock, Mac Gargan, or Flash Thompson. Hopefully it will be nothing like Venom during his "lethal protector" phase.

The other concern is what will his origin be? Will the movie character spin out from Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man? It is possible they could go the Eddie Brock route of a former reporter humiliated by Spider-Man exposing the identity of a true killer rather than the one Brock thought he was reporting on. We wouldn't even have to see Garfield in the movie, just Spider-Man.

Venom fans can't help but be skeptical. Sony and Kurtzman will really have to impress us to make up for what we had before. Being "darker" is a good start. But there's still a long way to go.

What would you want to see in a Venom movie?

Source: MTV

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

User Lists: 0

Hoping for Eddie Brock, done proper. I know they already had him in one movie but...well, that was a disaster. Anyway, let's see Brock with some ferocity.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I just can't get excited for anything in this franchise. I wish Sony would just name a price so Marvel can buy it back.

Theorder14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I have a feeling Flash Thompson from the AMS will become Venom.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Flash Thompson had the best potential not just for a good Venom movie but also for his own franchise. Eddie needs to be where it starts, but he'd be better served in the Spider-Man films as the villain. Eddie is a great villain but I don't know if he could carry a film.

MyNameIsWill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flash Thompson had the best potential not just for a good Venom movie but also for his own franchise. Eddie needs to be where it starts, but he'd be better served in the Spider-Man films as the villain. Eddie is a great villain but I don't know if he could carry a film.

My thoughts exactly.

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@granitesoldier said:

My thoughts exactly.

i agree with this statement a lot. Eddie is the ideal Venom. and the ideal anit-hero to Peter/Spider-man

I just can't get excited for anything in this franchise. I wish Sony would just name a price so Marvel can buy it back.

^^^ I also agree with this. sony should cut their loses and ditch their rights...and let Marvel do what they do best.

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eddie or Mac should be good

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate when they get creative. Just use the $*&!ing comics. Hell, I'd be up for straight up alien symbiote.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By meatwadf

I really hope this works out, but I'm all "darked out," when it comes to superhero movies.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

i prefer eddie Brock.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Why do you think that he might not be capable of carrying out a movie on his own?

Avatar image for iron_mans_cod_piece
    Iron_Mans_Cod_Piece

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier:

I agree with you whole heartedly. Brock, for lack of a better definition, is too 1 Dimensional and pretty much just driven by his hatred of Spiderman. Sure, he is a anti-hero, but his character is not really that complex. I think you can get MUCH more out of Flash as he comes to grips with having control over the suite. Plus I'd love to see the Agent Venom form more so than his traditional appearance.

For what it's worth though, and I'm a huge venom fan, I'm not optimistic that this film will ever make it to theaters no matter what they go with.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

Eddie with elements of the other Venoms folded in.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice idea, Eddie for ASM sequel and Flash for standalone Venom movie but I doubt Sony will do it, crossovers make more money.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bystander

@granitesoldier: "Flash Thompson had the best potential not just for a good Venom movie but also for his own franchise. Eddie needs to be where it starts, but he'd be better served in the Spider-Man films as the villain. Eddie is a great villain but I don't know if he could carry a film."

Absolutely.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Hoping for Eddie Brock, done proper. I know they already had him in one movie but...well, that was a disaster. Anyway, let's see Brock with some ferocity.

Ditto, dude! Too bad Harry Osborn kinda stole his best backstory.

I just can't get excited for anything in this franchise.

I'm pretty sure they make pills for that. XD

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@mynameiswill said:

@granitesoldier said:

My thoughts exactly.

i agree with this statement a lot. Eddie is the ideal Venom. and the ideal anit-hero to Peter/Spider-man

@drellassassin said:

^^^ I also agree with this. sony should cut their loses and ditch their rights...and let Marvel do what they do best.

Sony hasn't "lost" a dime with Spider-Man. He's made them billions.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By PunyParker

@rustyroy said:

Nice idea, Eddie for ASM sequel and Flash for standalone Venom movie but I doubt Sony will do it, crossovers make more money.

And it's ALL about money there,in this hellhole called Sony......

The cut stuff from both ASM and ASM2 scripts,and this will be no different.......

Also,if this is darker,then not for 8 year olds,for 12 year olds.....cool....(he said sarcastically)

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: Eddie's Lethal Protector facade was a poor attempt at Marvel trying to hero up a popular villain because he made them boatloads of money. He's always been fairly one dimensional, but that's never bothered me. Eddie is at his best as the villain who is so warped he thinks HE is the good guy, and that he is one of them. However his character didn't have much depth beyond that. If you remember Lethal Protector Eddie was the same he always was, then again in Separation Anxiety, etc etc. There was never growth beyond the whole "lethal protector" gimmick, and Eddie just being the crazy guy.

Actually the most development on him came after he lost the symbiote, but when he became Anti-Venom it was more of the same only with a bit of a cult religious twist. I just don't see him carrying a character driven film. Maybe if it's straight up action, sure, but these are supposed to be character driven.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#21  Edited By Black_Claw

Just give the movie rights back to Disney and call it a day.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

agent venom! flash all the way

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453
    deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't care about Eddie Brock especially not as Venom. Flash Thompson as Agent Venom is one of my all time favorite comics and I would love to see that in film.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

Ooh, something new coming out about the Venom film? Awesome! At this rate it should be out by 2047. I can't wait!

josai21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I think Sony/Marvel/Fox/and yes even DC need to consider the possibility of renting out their character licenses. Sony holds the rights to Spiderman? Great. Let marvel rent Andrew Garfield for a movie so we can have an Avenger spiderman.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By w0nd

I am skeptical. People may hate him but his origins, backround, wich version they choose, what characteristic they go with..anti hero...villain. Heck the sinister 6 spin off scares me as well. Who would the female lead be? And to my understanding spider-man isn't in it? so is the movie about a bunch of bad guys doing things?

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Darling_Luna

What's an easy way to win over fans with no real effort ?

Just say the new thing will be darker then the last thing, Cash in pocket

:P

karasu_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Venom but this sounds like a bad idea... Unless it's an animated movie?

Just make a new Spawn movie!!

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I never thought one movie could destroy a whole franchise..smh Sony

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier: Interesting perspective you got there. I can partly agree and partly disagree with you. I agree that he is a bit one dimensional and no matter what his status quo is he is always the same and never changes but I have always found that to be the intriguing thing about him. I always liked how he is the villain but he thinks that he's actually the hero, that has always made him somehow unique for me. I am not sure if he can fit into a movie or if he can carry a whole movie all by himself but I am willing to see it happen and to see if that is possible.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: I have always loved Eddie and the aspect I've loved most about him is the villain who thinks he's the hero. He's similar to Sinestro in that manner, another character I enjoy. If they wanted to do a warped "Sin City" style with Eddie it can work, because then Eddie isn't really the good guy he's just better than the villains.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LMAO a Venom movie? Cause they got Spider-man right eh?

liltripy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What if in the movie Eddie Brock as a reporter is doing something on Oscorp and tries to get inside information by sneeking in and accidentally stumbles upon the Venom symbiote. :o

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They should do a Venom Trilogy with each movie being a new host. Eddie, Mac, and Flash.

Luismah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Luismah

Sony is releasing two spin-off movies that could feature Venom, the Sinister Six and the Venom solo movie, we haven’t seen anything of “Eddie” Brock (Original Venom), but we already have seen “Flash” Thompson (Agent Venom), fans will be raging if Sony skip “Eddie” Brock/Venom, and some of us (Including myself) want to see Agent Venom in the big screen, I have this theory:

As far as I know the Sinister Six spin-off will center in a team of six “Villains” (Super-powered by Oscorp tech) assembled for Harry for god knows what, the potential members aside from Harry itself and Rino could have been spoiled in the “Easter-egg” scene when harry was looking inside the research data-base giving to him by his father before his dead, one of the files was named VENOM, the group could be assembled with people sharing a grudge against spider-man, each with his/her own reasons, one of them could be Edward Allen “Eddie” Brock “Insert an history of how Spider-Man made his life miserable ”, wearing a techno-organic symbiotic suit designed by Oscorp codenamed as “VENOM”, with the purpose of retaliating against Spider-Man in exchange for doing a job (s) as one of the sinister six.

The Venom solo spin-off could be about:

1- Venom: in the aftermath of the sinister six, “Eddie” Brock keeps the suit, decides to put the symbiote to work in a good way and becomes a vigilante.

2- Agent Venom: in the aftermath of the Sinister Six incident, the suit is decommissioned from the “bad guys” instead of destroying it, the government create a secret department to research the properties of the suit for future use in the battle field, this time in “the side of the angels”; Eugene “Flash” Thompson was already appeared in ASM, I know he was displayed as a Jerk (Parker’s bully) but also as a good/empathic person (after uncle Ben’s dead) and a fan of Spider-Man, in the time between the first movies and this one, the history-line of Eugene becoming a soldier, losing his legs protecting his comrades and looking for a chance to serve his country again could lead to the Project “Rebirth 2.0” history-line

Sorry for my bad english....

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier: You're right here as well. It would be really nice to see him in a such movie that is a little bit darker and grittier than the other superhero movies in which he thinks he is a hero but he actually is just better than the villains.

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey how about we leave the important decisions to Sony and stop yapping like the decision is upto us.right?

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#38  Edited By The Impersonator

Venom was horrible in Sam Raimi's Spidey 3. His voice wasn't deep enough to act like the real Venom. He wasn't bulky too. I hope they do him justice in the ASM verse.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This, totally this.

matanui123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to see this based off the Ultimate Spiderman Venom as it would fit in perfectly with the already established story. I also think the addition of the more tentacle based attacks would be more interesting then a bigger badder black spiderman.

Juke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sony seems to be scrambling right now - this Spidey universe of theirs isn't holding up too well. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll check it out, the second I saw "darker" caught my interest. Marvel needs a darker film for once seriously...

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As if nothing in the CBM universes have been "dark" before.

Greyghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why every single non marvel studios superhero movie is a dark movie?

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Good idea

Schmalzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pingclang: I always liked Brock the best, so hoping they go that route and a bigger character to play Brock, which how it was in the comics...

106me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to see the Venom vs Carnage comic book as a movie, especially with Toxin as a main or secondary character.

But, that could just be my inner symbiote fanboy-ism speaking.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
    SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I actually liked Eddie Brock in SM3. But yeah, the movie wasn't too good.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#49 frozen  Moderator

It's hard to believe it was seven years ago.

It truly is.

Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For this to work, they need some inspiration from dem batman movies.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.