Follow

Venom

Character » Venom appears in 2794 issues.

The Venom symbiote originally bonded with Peter Parker, AKA Spider-Man, during his adventure in the first Secret Wars on the Beyonder's planet called Battleworld. Initially, he thought the symbiote was just an attire. However, upon his discovery, he rejected it because he realized that it was sentient. Since then, the symbiote has bonded with several other hosts, including Eddie Brock, Angelo Fortunato, Flash Thompson, Ann Weying, and even Carol Danvers. Currently, its host is Eddie Brock.

Venom movie update!

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 43

#2  Edited By Joygirl

Is it gonna suck? :( it is, isn't it?

YoggSaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By YoggSaron

He shall be played by Topher Grace of course.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By X35

Kiss bye bye to Flash Venom in the comics, folks

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AweSam

@Joygirl said:

No Caption Provided

DUN, DUN, DUNNNN...

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@X35 said:

Hey you don't say that!

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By X35

@TheAnnihilator said:

@X35 said:

Hey you don't say that!

It's true.

Mycroftian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mycroftian

Flash Venom, ye shall be missed.

Though I suppose we still have plenty of time to get some more good stories out of him

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Joygirl

@AweSam said:

@Joygirl said:

No Caption Provided

DUN, DUN, DUNNNN...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OH GOD PLEASE MAKE IT STOP.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By InnerVenom123

@X35 said:

We'll see.

Even if it does happen, it won't be for a while.

TheCommissar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By TheCommissar

@YoggSaron said:

He shall be played by Topher Grace of course.

Don't even joke about that.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Kallarkz

@InnerVenom123 said:

@X35 said:

We'll see.

Doubt it will.

Book is doing great and its selling.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By X35

@Kallarkz said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@X35 said:

We'll see.

Doubt it will.

People still being optimistic in marvel is cute.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kallarkz

@X35 said:

@Kallarkz said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@X35 said:

We'll see.

Doubt it will.

Uncanny X-Force

Uncanny X-men

Daredevil

Venom

Ultimate's

Spider-Man

Scarlet Spider

Captain America

Wolverine and the X-men

X- Factor

Wolverine

All titles that I read that marvel has consistently kept great.

Not cuteness. Just a refusal to jump on the bandwagon and try to be "cool" hating Marvel

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@Kallarkz said:

@X35 said:

@Kallarkz said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@X35 said:

We'll see.

Doubt it will.

Uncanny X-Force

Uncanny X-men

Daredevil

Venom

Ultimate's

Spider-Man

Scarlet Spider

Captain America

Wolverine and the X-men

X- Factor

Wolverine

Not cuteness. Just a refusal to jump on the bandwagon and try to be "cool" hating Marvel

Don't forget Fantastic Four, Winter Soldier (might be too recent), and for a good enough time-span now, Amazing Spider-Man.

Mycroftian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mycroftian

Money really dictates what they do with these characters a lot of the time. The most obvious examples would be Jackson Fury and Phil Coulson appearing in the mainstream continuity. A Venom movie will get people interested in Venom, and it really doesn't make sense from a marketing perspective to have the character not exist, or exist in a radically different form, as new waves of fans are discovering the character. It won't happen for a while, sure, but as soon as an Eddie Venom movie comes out, you can expect to see Eddie back in black.

I can only hope that the move to Eddie Venom is well-executed. I really hope they kill Flash at the end of the arc. Only character path I can see that makes sense, and it would give him a chance for a final resolution (well, final until some idiot brings him back), which most comic heroes don't get.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By X35

@Kallarkz: Do you genuinely believe that sales of a book would in anyway influence Marvel's decision. Bucky Cap was a great seller and critically acclaimed........didn't stop them quickly sidelining the story to get Steve back into the Cap costume in time for the film......Secret Warriors sold pretty well.........didn't stop them from just writing off Fury for a useless new Nick Fury...they were so desperate to tie into the Spider-Man film with a Lizard story that Ends of the Earth has to be wrapped up in Spider-Man's ugly cousin...then you've got a great cartoon being cancelled in favor of trash...Hulk being forced onto the Avengers teams....every single book in Marvel currently just singing to the tune of Avengers...I could go on but i think actually believing that Flash Thompson will stay as Venom when they're doing an Eddie Brock film is really hoping for too much.

Also you've got to remember Venom is undergoing a major creative change in a few months..............so by the time this film comes out the remender venom will be a distant memory in everyone's head.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kallarkz

@Mycroftian said:

Money really dictates what they do with these characters a lot of the time. The most obvious examples would be Jackson Fury and Phil Coulson appearing in the mainstream continuity. A Venom movie will get people interested in Venom, and it really doesn't make sense from a marketing perspective to have the character not exist, or exist in a radically different form, as new waves of fans are discovering the character. It won't happen for a while, sure, but as soon as an Eddie Venom movie comes out, you can expect to see Eddie back in black.

I can only hope that the move to Eddie Venom is well-executed. I really hope they kill Flash at the end of the arc. Only character path I can see that makes sense, and it would give him a chance for a final resolution (well, final until some idiot brings him back), which most comic heroes don't get.

I think people will be more interested in the symbiote rather than seeing "Eddie".

Eddie will NOT make that book sell. He is a villain and is currently the host of Toxin.

Marvel can have their cake and eat it to with having Venom and Flash together in a book that is currently still selling.

Not quite sure how they would work in taking the symbiote away from Flash, taking Toxin away from Eddie and the bonding the Venom symbiote with Eddie.

They just tried that months back in one panel and it refused to stay with Eddie and went back with Flash.

I believe that Marvel would keep Flash since fans really would want to pick up a comic with a black suited spider-man.

Although what you are saying make sense on a certain level...determining exactly what Marvel will do because of a movie release is not a simple predictable equation.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#19  Edited By BatWatch

@Kallarkz said:

@Mycroftian said:

I think people will be more interested in the symbiote rather than seeing "Eddie".

Eddie will NOT make that book sell. He is a villain and is currently the host of Toxin.

Marvel can have their cake and eat it to with having Venom and Flash together in a book that is currently still selling.

Not quite sure how they would work in taking the symbiote away from Flash, taking Toxin away from Eddie and the bonding the Venom symbiote with Eddie.

They just tried that months back in one panel and it refused to stay with Eddie and went back with Flash.

I believe that Marvel would keep Flash since fans really would want to pick up a comic with a black suited spider-man.

Although what you are saying make sense on a certain level...determining exactly what Marvel will do because of a movie release is not a simple predictable equation.

Yes it is. They always make the comics resemble the movies as closely as possible.

If Eddie Brock is not Venom when the movie comes out, I'll eat the hat I'm wearing right now... (I'm not wearing a hat)

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kallarkz

@X35 said:

@Kallarkz: Do you genuinely believe that sales of a book would in anyway influence Marvel's decision. Bucky Cap was a great seller and critically acclaimed........didn't stop them quickly sidelining the story to get Steve back into the Cap costume in time for the film......Secret Warriors sold pretty well.........didn't stop them from just writing off Fury for a useless new Nick Fury...they were so desperate to tie into the Spider-Man film with a Lizard story that Ends of the Earth has to be wrapped up in Spider-Man's ugly cousin...then you've got a great cartoon being cancelled in favor of trash...Hulk being forced onto the Avengers teams....every single book in Marvel currently just singing to the tune of Avengers...I could go on but i think actually believing that Flash Thompson will stay as Venom when they're doing an Eddie Brock film is really hoping for too much.

Also you've got to remember Venom is undergoing a major creative change in a few months..............so by the time this film comes out the remender venom will be a distant memory in everyone's head.

All these changes were made with characters who could support their own book.

I do not believe Eddie with his current state of mind and how he is being written can.

While good arguments have been presented for both sides I do believe I wrote "DOUBT" in my first post.

Meaning that I am not certain this will not occur but believe it would be foolhardy to think that I could predict the complete character change of a book that so many seem to be enjoying.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kallarkz

@PsychoKnights said:

@Kallarkz said:

@Mycroftian said:

@Kallarkz Money really dictates what they do with these characters a lot of the time. The most obvious examples would be Jackson Fury and Phil Coulson appearing in the mainstream continuity. A Venom movie will get people interested in Venom, and it really doesn't make sense from a marketing perspective to have the character not exist, or exist in a radically different form, as new waves of fans are discovering the character. It won't happen for a while, sure, but as soon as an Eddie Venom movie comes out, you can expect to see Eddie back in black.

Yes it is. They always make the comics resemble the movies as closely as possible.

If Eddie Brock is not Venom when the movie comes out, I'll eat the hat I'm wearing right now... (I'm not wearing a hat)

lol we'll see.

However I have never been one to stake my complete faith on something that I could not possibly be completely sure about.

Perhaps it is just the way I choose to come to a decision.

If you would like to 100% stake your life upon the fact that Eddie will be Venom than that is your right.

I have seen good arguments for both sides but I am still not convinced that Eddie would take over but would not completely discount the possibility.

Mycroftian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mycroftian

@Kallarkz: Eddie might need some character development to justify going back to the suit, but there's a lot of time between now and this movie coming out for that character development to happen.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kallarkz
    @Mycroftian said:

@Kallarkz: Eddie might need some character development to justify going back to the suit, but there's a lot of time between now and this movie coming out for that character development to happen.

They would have to completely change his character to either being good or slightly anti-hero....and even then it would be difficult with what he has been doing within the last few months. 
    Like i said it's possible...but at this moment in time with how things in the book are moving improbable. 
    More evidence would need to be shown in order to justify this complete change in the book.
    Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Venom movie will be terrible.

Mycroftian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mycroftian

I can see this being good if they don't try to make Venom too heroic. They really need to set him apart from Spider-Man. Personally, I would love for them to take an approach kinda like a horror movie. Go light on exposition, and make Venom the big, bad thing in the dark. Maybe take some inspiration from Brock's time as Anti-Venom, and tell the story from the perspective of someone like Jenna Cole. Personally, I would take Crime-Master as the villain, since he's the sort that doesn't need a lot of explanation. (No superpower origin explanation necessary)

MadRooster81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MadRooster81

How is a movie about Venom staying close to the true origin not going to be connected the Spider-Man movies? For this to work, they are going have to set it up in one of the sequels right?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Kallarkz said:

@X35 said:

@Kallarkz said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@X35 said:

We'll see.

Doubt it will.

Uncanny X-Force

Uncanny X-men

Daredevil

Venom

Ultimate's

Spider-Man

Scarlet Spider

Captain America

Wolverine and the X-men

X- Factor

Wolverine

+10 respect.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#28  Edited By BatWatch

@Kallarkz said:

@PsychoKnights said:

@Kallarkz said:

@Mycroftian said:

@Kallarkz Money really dictates what they do with these characters a lot of the time. The most obvious examples would be Jackson Fury and Phil Coulson appearing in the mainstream continuity. A Venom movie will get people interested in Venom, and it really doesn't make sense from a marketing perspective to have the character not exist, or exist in a radically different form, as new waves of fans are discovering the character. It won't happen for a while, sure, but as soon as an Eddie Venom movie comes out, you can expect to see Eddie back in black.

lol we'll see.

However I have never been one to stake my complete faith on something that I could not possibly be completely sure about.

Perhaps it is just the way I choose to come to a decision.

If you would like to 100% stake your life upon the fact that Eddie will be Venom than that is your right.

I have seen good arguments for both sides but I am still not convinced that Eddie would take over but would not completely discount the possibility.

I don't actually know, but I strongly suspect.

The movie is still so early in development that it might easily get canned before it ever gets released anyway.

Avatar image for venomoushatred1001
    venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@X35 said:

LMAO. Sad but true.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Mycroftian said:

I think you mean character regression.

Because Eddie going back to the suit makes absolutely no goddamn sense in any context given what they've done with him over the last decade.

Unless it just flat-out takes him over.

Mycroftian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mycroftian

I should have chosen my words more carefully there. I agree that having him go back to the symbiote contradicts Eddie's long-term development, and I really really wish they wouldn't do it. But I can't see them not doing it, so I imagine they'll have Eddie just randomly decide that he needs the suit for some contrived reason. At least I hope they do that, and don't have some BS reason like getting taken over or amnesia, which would be even worse.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Pretty much tell ya this is going to be bad.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Mycroftian: The sad part is that both of those things have actually happened to Eddie while he was Venom.

Avatar image for graysonofgotham
    graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By graysonofgotham

I know i'm in the minority but I want Eddie back as Venom. I hate him not being Venom. I like flash but I miss the "Lethal Protecter" days.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By InnerVenom123

@richardjohngrayson said:

I know i'm in the minority but I want Eddie back as Venom. I hate him not being Venom. I like flash but I miss the "Lethal Protecter" days.

Turning him into an anti-hero was only done to whore him out, and it's what ruined him.

graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By graysonofgotham

To each his own, bud. It's what made me like him.

Avatar image for spectacular_iceman
    Spectacular_Iceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The films writers have stated that the sequels villain will be referenced in the upcoming film - I'm guessing that since Oscorp has a small role in the film, it's either the Goblin, or since Avi Arad announced a Venom spin-off, the sequels villain will be VENOM.

graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By graysonofgotham

That would be cool. If they made Venom the bad guy in part two they could call a shakey truce at the end(maybe to take down a bigger baddy.) and then you could spin Venom off.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By Strider1992
    "We want to be as close to the comics as possible. Especially in Eddie Brock's story. But again, pseudo-sceince is becoming science. All these tidbits about webs, artificial webs, is a huge industry now. Spiderwebs have unique qualities that will be huge for communications, fibers, and so forth. So we have taken the approach that we want to make the huge amazing movie about Eddie."

No just no!

If you want it to be close the comics don't turn Venom into some byproduct of research into making artificial spider-webs introduce him in the Spider-man reboot series in the same way Venom was in the Ultimate Spider-man series then do a spin off.

How can Venom be Venom without having Spider-man involved in his origin? Thats just sacrilege!!!! How dare they debate taking away Venom's iconic origin!?

On the plus side at least its Eddie in the suit!

VenomousDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By VenomousDragon

If this movie does well Flash can kiss the suit goodbye, too bad, I knew it was going to happen eventually but it was too soon.

Flash you may not have been liked by those who hate change but you were better than gargan. (not that its too hard to be better than gargan)

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By InnerVenom123

@VenomousDragon: It won't be for another year, two years at least, lol. No need for a eulogy just yet.

@richardjohngrayson said:

To each his own, bud. It's what made me like him.

Bah, directly reply next time. I had no idea you posted again.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Any new updates?

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#43  Edited By Strider1992

This.......guy.......Eddie......now!:

No Caption Provided

TheHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Venom movie, eh? Hulk interested. Hulk not being sarcastic. Hulk heard the guy who did Chronicle was considering directing.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Joygirl

This.......guy.......Eddie......now!:

No Caption Provided

Not buff enough but I guess it could work. Give him a few months to put on some weight, and actually play up his height instead of making him stand next to an ogre. The look/attitude works, so I like where your head is.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By w0nd

@joygirl: He if that nerdy guy from kick ass can put on some weight and muscle, then I have no doubt in my mind he can do the same

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

I think either Jensen Ackles as Venom, Olivia Wilde as Anne Weying, Robert Englund as Carnage (The movies main villain) and Brian Cox as Carlton Drake. Directed by Mark Steven Johnson or Neil Marshall.

Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
    BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Okay my preferences: venom actor must be buff, not that last venom guy in that awful spider-man movie. Also maybe that Thor guy could be him.

Avatar image for boogiesteven007
    boogiesteven007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spiderman spinoff witthout the hero spiderman in tthe movie what were they tthinking

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.