Follow

Venom

Character » Venom appears in 2797 issues.

The Venom symbiote originally bonded with Peter Parker, AKA Spider-Man, during his adventure in the first Secret Wars on the Beyonder's planet called Battleworld. Initially, he thought the symbiote was just an attire. However, upon his discovery, he rejected it because he realized that it was sentient. Since then, the symbiote has bonded with several other hosts, including Eddie Brock, Angelo Fortunato, Flash Thompson, Ann Weying, and even Carol Danvers. Currently, its host is Eddie Brock.

Venom #16 Review

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Now a rookie member of the Secret Avengers, Venom oversees a seemingly effortless prisoner transport that quickly turns into an must-read bloodbath.

The Good:
    It's simply amazing how writer Rick Remender can take such a basic premise and turn it into an absolutely awesome issue. Flash Thompson has one mundane mission: make sure The Human Fly, a character you likely don't care about or never even heard of, is safely transported on a high speed train to The Raft, a prison facility for superhuman villains. But, this won't be as easy as it appears. The Human Fly pleads with Venom, telling a tale of how he stole millions from Kingpin (Wilson Fisk) and now there's a huge reward over his hideous head. The deformed D-list villain begs for Venom to make sure Fisk gets his money back so the huge crime lord doesn't go after Fly's son. I never thought I'd see the day where The Human Fly was the highlight of an issue, but Venom 16 manages to achieve that herculean task.

As given away by the cover, Fisk's latest employer, Hobgoblin (Phil Urich) is the man sent to put The Human Fly six feet under. What happens next is a dark, violent, and jaw-dropping fight you won't want to miss. Fly proves his acid is not to be taken lightly, Phil destroys with his sonic scream and flame sword, and Flash, well, he's just caught in the middle and fighting to stay alive. It's tough to get more cinematic than Flash jumping off a highway and onto the speeding train with a motorcycle and using poor Hobgoblin's face for a crash landing.

Kev Walker's art is rough and a bit gritty, making it a fantastic fit for the book's tone. The heavy use of shading and excellent facial expressions compliment every scene well, putting a fitting face to every bit of dialogue. The panel with Phil addressing the security interrupting his battle with Fly feels as powerful as the explosion on the page.
    What's especially impressive about this issue is the fact that it's a great stand alone read. You don't have to be up to events with Venom (although I highly recommend the series) to appreciate the issue. Everything regarding the main players are laid out quickly, establishing their unique characteristics before throwing you face first into the fray. Plus, Remender seals the deal with a superb ending. Bravo, Fly.
    The Bad:
    Call me a fanboy, but I honestly don't have any major complaints regarding the issue. I guess one could complain over how easily Phil embarrassed Flash, but he's proven to be a villain worth taking seriously since appearing in The Amazing Spider-Man. The focus on Flash takes a backseat, but it's compensated by giving The Human Fly a level attention we've never seen before and, in turn, teases us for the debut of the Savage Six in the next issue. Unfortunately, Eddie Brock's symbiote hunting agenda (began last issue) is nowhere to be seen in this issue. Its absence is definitely noticed, but not truly missed thanks to how entertaining of a read Venom #16 is.
    Verdict:
    "Circle of Four" aside, Venom is a title that started off strong and has continued to grow on me more and more with each issue. As a huge fan of Eddie Brock's Venom, I can happily say I'm pleased Flash is the host and his dark adventure is one of the best reads Marvel currently has to offer.

5/5

source:my blog

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I have to admit that I hated on Venom at first because i'm bored with symbiotes and i'm tired of someone new always taking the Venom title but I have to say I have enjoyed Flash as Venom alot more than I did alot of the miniseries involving Brock.Nice Review BTW.

Avatar image for venomoushatred1001
    venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Great review, K4tZ. I really got a kick out of the letter Fly sent Flash XD

@Vance Astro said:

I have to admit that I hated on Venom at first because i'm bored with symbiotes and i'm tired of someone new always taking the Venom title but I have to say I have enjoyed Flash as Venom alot more than I did alot of the miniseries involving Brock.Nice Review BTW.

Aww, Vance has a soft side for Flash. How nice :3

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Vance Astro: Thanks. If you hate symbiotes then you should be happy to know Brock began slaughtering them in issue 15 ;)

@venomoushatred1001: Thanks! Yeah, it was a great ending.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Kallarkz

I've read however that in a couple of issues he will be donning one of his own.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Kallarkz: The rumor is that Brock will be the next Toxin. I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere, though... so let's wait and see how it plays out ;)

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Kallarkz

http://www.tfaw.com/Comics/Profile/Venom-17___402789 That's where I read it

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Kallarkz: Yeah, I was just saying though that the rumor is said symbiote will be Toxin ;)

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @k4tzm4n said:

@Vance Astro: Thanks. If you hate symbiotes then you should be happy to know Brock began slaughtering them in issue 15 ;)

I don't hate symbiotes I just think the concept has gotten stale.Hopefully it will be quite some time before Flash parts with the symbiote.Marvel has an opportunity to make him the most popular anti-hero since Punisher & Deadpool.
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Vance Astro: Yeah, I don't think Flash will permanently lose the symbiote any time soon.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.