Follow

Venom

Character » Venom appears in 2794 issues.

The Venom symbiote originally bonded with Peter Parker, AKA Spider-Man, during his adventure in the first Secret Wars on the Beyonder's planet called Battleworld. Initially, he thought the symbiote was just an attire. However, upon his discovery, he rejected it because he realized that it was sentient. Since then, the symbiote has bonded with several other hosts, including Eddie Brock, Angelo Fortunato, Flash Thompson, Ann Weying, and even Carol Danvers. Currently, its host is Eddie Brock.

How smart is Eddie Brock?

Avatar image for venomsapprentice
    venomsapprentice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By venomsapprentice

Some people seem to think of Eddie Brock as a dumb jock.But he was a great journalist before Spider Man ruined his reputation.I would put Eddies I.Q at 140-160.Any thoughts?

Also how smart is Flash Thompson?

The_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By The_Madness

Spider-man didn't ruin his reputation, bad journalism did. lol But yeah he's street smart.

venomsapprentice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By venomsapprentice

True.Smarter then mac gargan?

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By moywar700

he's dumb as a rock.He always loses to spider-man because he gets outsmarted by him.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By moywar700

He sucks.

venomsapprentice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By venomsapprentice

Getting out smarted by a genius like spider man doesn't make one stupid.

And anyone who thinks venom sucks sucks d!ck.

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hectorsquall

@venomsapprentice said:

True.Smarter then mac gargan?

I think it's pretty safe to assume that Brock is smarter than Gargan though that shouldn't be surprising to anyone ;p

PS: Great avatar, btw! WOLVENOM FTW!

venomsapprentice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By venomsapprentice

Thanks I enjoy the GIF.XD

Brock is probably the smartest venom so far.

The_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Madness

I agree that being out smarted but Spider-man does not make one dumb. Spider-man outsmarts MOST of his enemies. Brock is tough too, I mean he took out Hybrid and Scream without any powers what so ever. And I'd say he's smarter than MacGargan by a large margin, however Flash is a good Venom, he's by no means stupid either.

venomsapprentice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By venomsapprentice

@The_Madness: Flash venom is awesome.Venom plus guns equals genius. I acctually think that Brock has more potential as Toxin, assuming he can get the symbiote under control.

The_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Madness

Yeah I mean no body has more experiance with symbiotes than Eddie and Toxin is the most powerful symbiote so they should be a deadly force, but for some unexplained reason that makes no sense Eddie has no control of Toxin at all and for so unexplained reason the Venom and Toxin Symbiotes hate each other even though I clearly remember Venom being Toxin's protector and wanting to form an alliance during Carnages 'pregnancy' I'm just trying to let it slide cause I like the new Venom run.

venomsapprentice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By venomsapprentice

Yeah.I just hope they don't give the Venom symbiote to Betty Brant.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AweSam

Not very smart.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

In Dark Origins he seemed somewhat smart in the fact he could easily tell when people were lying...

Romulus9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Romulus9000

@venomsapprentice said:

Some people seem to think of Eddie Brock as a dumb jock.But he was a great journalist before Spider Man ruined his reputation.I would put Eddies I.Q at 140-160.Any thoughts?

Also how smart is Flash Thompson?

what IQ scale are you using??? 140-160 is entry level genius. Also one's IQ is not really a testament to their intelligence like most people think. All a high IQ means is one's capacity to learn, and how quickly they do learn.

I would say Eddie and Flash both are as smart as the average person, which on an IQ scale is about 100-120

venomsapprentice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By venomsapprentice

lol I didn't think it was that outrageous considering that Parkers I.Q is listed at 250.XD

I once read that Brock excelled at school (despite this he couldn't get respect from his father).

And they say most phycopaths,as Brock has been described by others,have I.Qs of 160.

VenomousDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By VenomousDragon

Brock's intellect is underwritten alot, he is a college graduate

Carnage is the one thats supposed to be stupid actually

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By moywar700

@AweSam said:

Not very smart.

oh my.=p

venomsapprentice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By venomsapprentice

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Spider Man 3!!! Our eyesss burn!

No.were talking about comic Brock.

Shockdingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Shockdingo

I always found Brock to be quite intelligent (not comic level genius, but well above average) but limited by his inability to admit his faults. (well previously, after becoming AV he faced a lot, but not all of his old issues and did some growing up)

As an above poster said, he excelled at school to gain his father's approval and his journalistic work appeared to be top notch till the Sin Eater incident . He's shown survival skills and planning in ambushes and preparing to go after the symbiote in Venom: The Hunger. Has more often than not played on people's assumptions of him to get the jump on them. In the Spider-man Family issue from years back, he showed some detective work in hunting down those corporate slimeballs. And if all else, he is resourceful; after Spider Island, he was left with nothing but an old weapons cache and stale rice, yet he managed to get enough gear to wage war on 3 symbiotes (at least that's how many we know about until he was forced to become Toxin.)

VenomousDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By VenomousDragon

@Shockdingo said:

I always found Brock to be quite intelligent (not comic level genius, but well above average) but limited by his inability to admit his faults. (well previously, after becoming AV he faced a lot, but not all of his old issues and did some growing up)

As an above poster said, he excelled at school to gain his father's approval and his journalistic work appeared to be top notch till the Sin Eater incident . He's shown survival skills and planning in ambushes and preparing to go after the symbiote in Venom: The Hunger. Has more often than not played on people's assumptions of him to get the jump on them. In the Spider-man Family issue from years back, he showed some detective work in hunting down those corporate slimeballs. And if all else, he is resourceful; after Spider Island, he was left with nothing but an old weapons cache and stale rice, yet he managed to get enough gear to wage war on 3 symbiotes (at least that's how many we know about until he was forced to become Toxin.)

and killed 2 of them.

venomsapprentice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By venomsapprentice

@Shockdingo said:

As an above poster said, he excelled at school to gain his father's approval and his journalistic work appeared to be top notch till the Sin Eater incident . He's shown survival skills and planning in ambushes and preparing to go after the symbiote in Venom: The Hunger. Has more often than not played on people's assumptions of him to get the jump on them. In the Spider-man Family issue from years back, he showed some detective work in hunting down those corporate slimeballs. And if all else, he is resourceful; after Spider Island, he was left with nothing but an old weapons cache and stale rice, yet he managed to get enough gear to wage war on 3 symbiotes (at least that's how many we know about until he was forced to become Toxin.

Nice summation.You won't see venom inventing any ray guns, but he is crafty enough not to be punked like Gargan was .

Shockdingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Shockdingo

Bingo, his issue has never been stupidity, but the very real weakness of emotional instability. As AV or Symbiote Hunter Brock©, he was very dangerous. Even though he got delusional he still could really put the hurt on people without getting too lost. Even him running around yelling that he's the "Right Hand of God" didn't actually limit him as it typically should have:

-In the MU there's all sorts of crazy cosmic, mystical and technological events happening at the drop of a hat. He's met, fought with and against Ghost Rider, Goblins, etc So what's going to happen when he's finally got terminal caner, his once powerful body is wasting away rapidly and all that resets once he faces tough truths, accepts his arrogance and blindness, grows as a human being, regains and reconnects with his faith? In his mind, he's been forgiven and given a new task; serve the people less fortunate. Thus even after being healed, he stays at the feast centre.

-The above appears pretty miraculous since he didn't and STILL doesn't know Mr. Negative, by a fluke, mutated him positively. Though even if he did found out, it's still a pretty amazing chance that a villain unknowingly created a great force for good. He'd see it as a miracle.

-Another thing adding to his assurance that he's been chosen is when he becomes Anti-Venom; he's got his power back, but without another voice in his head that may or may not be influencing him, NONE of his old weaknesses, and lastly and most importantly, a power to heal. A genuine power that could be used to aid people non-violently.

All this made Brock think he was chosen. With this, he wasn't running around ranting like Sin Eater, but he was just a rather arrogant with none of the blinders or limits such typical delusions cause. He helped people and even got to play a massive part in Spider Island. His idea of being chosen just gave him a greater drive to perform and eventually make a huge sacrifice in giving up his power for one big incident when he could have left and said, "New York is but one part of a greater suffering world. I must heal all, but I wont give up all of my gifts for one incident when 10 more will take its place upon my departure!"

With his apparent loss of the AV abilities he still saw that he had the means to stop some as of yet unrevealed evil; He finally had his old image replaced by one of a public hero and Mr. Fantastic, one of the world's most respected and beloved heroes, had his arm around Brock's shoulders...with a genuine smile. To Brock, this was a reinforcement; "The sacrifice was but one test to help many, but now, to stop the spread, I must go after some...specific targets....targets I helped to create."

It was due to Flash's mistake and Brock being in the wrong place at the wrong time that he ended up in this current dilemma, but even with that, his arrogance wasn't why he got defeated and stuck as Toxin. Flash was desperate and in the commotion Brock was webbed up and knocked out. He's still capable...but not invincible.

My overall point is that, as Brock is now (pre-Toxin at least) he is very intelligent, practical and dangerous to those in his way. I don't know where he got the Anti-Symbiote ordinance, but he managed to round up that gear and use militarized combat to take them on in ways no one has ever done. Single-handedly to boot! He didn't need the Jury's Power Armor, he didn't need an army, but just the resources available to him. He knew he couldn't take on scream in the way he took on Hybrid, so he lured her to him and then got the drop on her. A dumb bruiser isn't going to do that too well.

Brock isn't a cheap thug or hired muscle, and for that I think he's rather interesting. I just hope he's got more in store for him soon.

venomsapprentice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By venomsapprentice

@Shockdingo:

I wish I had you in the Venom vs Bat Man discussions.XD

They act like Brock can't prep at all.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CrimsonCake

Somewhere around average.

VenomousDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By VenomousDragon

@CrimsonCake: he is above average.

venomsapprentice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By venomsapprentice

@VenomousDragon said:

@CrimsonCake: he is above average.

Definitly.

InfinityAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By InfinityAce

Eddie is a normal person not smart but, not dumb.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

I'd say he has average to above average intelligence, but nothing special. The problem is he let's his personal feelings get in the way of his judgement. However, as Shockdingo said before me, he has great survival skills, and can think and act for himself. So yeah, I'd say he's pretty smart, but still not smarter than Parker.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.