Cullen Bunn taking over Venom starting with #23!

#1 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

A few confirmations and hopeful tidbits for the future here.

http://marvel.com/news/story/18708/next_big_thing_liveblog_venom

"Beaten to death in a gutter." -Rick Remender on the fate of Pat Mulligan, Toxin's former host. "It took place off panel, but Blackheart killed him to acquire the symbiote."
"I think everybody responded well to Anti-Venom, and it was cool, but a lot of the symbiotes have become too sympathetic. We wanted to give Venom his own Venom. You've got Carnage out there, but we wanted one more. Eddie Brock as Toxin is a revenge-fueled nightmare monster." -Rick Remender
"I got to do 92% of my Venom stories, but the good news is I'm still writing him in Secret Avengers." -Rick Remender
#2 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

Who?

#3 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by TurianAgent (60 posts) - - Show Bio

I KNEW IT

#5 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12334 posts) - - Show Bio

Heres hoping Cullen doesn't ruin the book...

#6 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@venomoushatred1001 said:

Heres hoping Cullen doesn't ruin the book...

Such optimism. :P I have it on good word from a criticy-friend that Bunn wrote a few great books, so I'm not too worried. That and Remender still has Venom in Secret Avengers.

#7 Posted by k4tzm4n (36444 posts) - - Show Bio

I've gotta say it....

What's with the doves?

Staff
#8 Posted by Mercy_ (92629 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: They're classy birds? And it's a bit of a dichotomy in symbolism. Doves for peace in the background of somebody who's pretty much the antithesis to peace?

#9 Posted by RoboShark (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been worried about this title getting new blood in it. I'm a fan of Bunn's work though so not worried at the moment.

#10 Edited by k4tzm4n (36444 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_: Classy birds for a classy book.

It's just been done so many times before. It's basically comedic at this point.

EDIT: Cullen gave Crossbones a lot of love in The Fearless. So, the fanboy me prays we'll see him appear... and somehow not die immediately against Venom.

Staff
#11 Posted by Mercy_ (92629 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

It's just been done so many times before. It's basically comedic at this point.

You mean just like swinging towards the 'camera' on webbing... ;)

#12 Posted by Mercy_ (92629 posts) - - Show Bio

You know what's sad/funny, though? I was just about to call IV into the thread before I realized he made it...

#13 Posted by k4tzm4n (36444 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_: Alright. Correction: doves soaring has not only been done tons of times before, but is also lame and silly in my book (and my book has been read more than the Bible... plus, it has just as many facts...). I can deal with a generic action cover pose, though. :P

Staff
#14 Posted by Mercy_ (92629 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: I honestly can't think of another cover with doves soaring, although I completely agree with the lame and silly aspect.

#15 Edited by k4tzm4n (36444 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_: AND a motorcycle! SO MUCH MANLINESS IN ONE IMAGE!

Really though, my opinion stems from how it has been used in movies. It was acceptable in '80s action flicks and all that, but since then is used for mockery quite a bit (21 Jump Street, for example).

side note: I was going to be a jerk and just post assorted Hawk & Dove covers at first.

Staff
#16 Posted by blur1528 (1055 posts) - - Show Bio

Well... shit.

#17 Posted by WWAJfan (242 posts) - - Show Bio

im exited for this, dont know why people are doudting Bunn, what i've heard he's done great jobs on other title (Wolvie n the Sixth Gun). Still thnks Remender, you'll be missed.

#18 Posted by saoakden (1018 posts) - - Show Bio

Who is the new guy that's replacing Rick Remender on Venom. I'm not that familar with a lot of comic book writers. & What has this new writer written and was it any good?

#19 Posted by The_Tree (7235 posts) - - Show Bio

He better not be terrible.

#20 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

Why? This suuucks.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.