Bunn taking over Venom

Posted by TheVenomSite (49 posts) - - Show Bio

I am a huge Rick Remender fan! He was probably the best thing that could of happened to Venom. Taking this character and making old and new fans care about him again and making him a pivotal part of the Marvel Universe is no easy task. Bringing back forgotten villains (Jack O'Lantern, Human Fly) as well as supporting cast members (Eddie Brock, Toxin) made for great reading! When I learned Bunn was taking over (after working with Remender on Savage Six) would be another great turn for the character, but after reading some of his plans I'm not as sure...

I didn't particularly enjoy the "Circle of Four" arc, but today I learned that "The 'Circle of Four' stuff is a cornerstone for my very first arc and for my take on the series as a whole."

I don't care for Venom being part of a team environment and his role on the Secret Avengers does nothing for me. If he is going to be part of a team, I would like to see him leading the charge; however, Bunn's take on Venom's solo adventures will be that "They're giving him missions that I've dubbed "Code: Uatu" missions. He is only supposed to go in and observe and recon the situation. His directives are going to be, "Watch. Do not touch."

Finally, with this new run comes a new artists. Tony Moore's covers with Lan Medina's interiors are some of my favorite issues ever. For me, the art is more important than the actual story. I can look passed a bad script if there are pretty pictures to see.

I am trying to keep an open mind until this run starts, but I'm not sure this team can continue to keep readers interested in Venom.

#1 Posted by CircularLogic (282 posts) - - Show Bio

I see your concerns, but re-reading circle of four recently, I find it pretty obvious that sometime soon an arc spinning out of those events was coming whether Remender was their or not, especially considering the deal they made with Mephisto. I'm going in optimistic, plus, unlike you I guess, I really enjoyed circle of 4, especially since it included three characters (hulk, x-23 and the new Ghost Rider) whose title at the time didn't interest me at all (or anyone else for that matter considering the cancellation of two of them) and making them appeal to me. However, Rick Remender is leaps and bounds ahead of Bunn, so I'll probably be somewhat disappointed.

#2 Posted by TheVenomSite (49 posts) - - Show Bio

@CircularLogic said:

I see your concerns, but re-reading circle of four recently, I find it pretty obvious that sometime soon an arc spinning out of those events was coming whether Remender was their or not, especially considering the deal they made with Mephisto.

I would be okay with COF pt 2 if it was done as another spin off (point one issues that only last a month) with those same characters. My fear is that he is going to be using the COF background (which to me feels more of Ghost Rider's universe than Venom's) for his arc. Now if his arc does expand on the pact Venom made with Mephisto, that might actually be interesting....

#3 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem with CO4 was that the other writers didn't seem to "get it" like Remender did, and his parts ended up being the best.

With one writer, that problem is solved entirely.

And he's working with Remender on Savage Six, and they'll be coordinating between Secret Avengers and Venom to make sure things stay consistent.

So I'm not really that worried.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.