Follow

Valiant/Acclaim

Publisher »

Valiant Comics began as an imprint of Voyager Communications, established in 1989 in part by former Marvel editor-in-chief Jim Shooter. It was discontinued in 1996 after being bought out by Acclaim Entertainment. After Acclaim closed its doors in 2004, the publisher was revived as Valiant Entertainment and has been publishing new material since May 2012.

X-O Manowar a Marvel amalgamation?

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I took advantage of the Comixology sale on Valiant's X-O Manowar sale where the 1st 11 issues are $0.99 apiece. First off, it is a fantastic story. However, as I was reading it, it seemed like the character was an amalgamation from the Big Three Avengers. The main character, Aric, is a brash, arrogant warrior like Thor. He is a man out of time like Captain America. He also has a highly advanced suit of armor like Iron Man.

After reading the book, I did a little research on the title and saw that he was created by Jim Shooter who was the Editor in Chief at Marvel for a while. Has it ever been stated where his inspiration for the character came from? Also, as I have not read any of the original series (just the wiki page on here), can anyone confirm that his personality is similar to how it was originally conceived?

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

@cap10nate: hey a little late on the response but yeah I noticed those similarities as well. But as a reader of X-O, it's not a rip off IMO (and no offense by that, as Im not saying that's your point at all). I mean he's similar to IM just because of having a super powerful suit. But its a conpletely different premise as the Manowar armor is alien tech, also its sentient. And as for Cap, he's like him in that he's a man out of time, but its not like he was even frozen. Also, Cap doesnt have some copyright on the man out of time concept, thats been around in storytelling pretty much forever. And like Thor, he's definitely brash, but its too easy to compare him to Thor, being a blond warrior heir. Personality wise he's much different. The brash warrior character is also another popular character concept so he's really no more like Thor than any other brash warrior.

But yeah I can see what you mean. People who read Marvel would be more likely to typecast Aric as such an amalgamation, but lets not forget hes his own unique chracter (and a great one at that). It's really a testament to how awesome X-O is that he can represent the coolest aspects of marvel's 3 biggest properties, at any rate.

In a short answer to your question: It could be a little homage to those characters. But Aric is really a VERY different character from any of them.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Huh. I never saw the comparison, to be honest, but I can definitely see it now. I don't know if it's intentional though, but Aric is still a pretty cool character regardless. Seems to be a problem of any non-Big Two superhero character, they're immediately compared to DC/Marvel ones.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.