Valiant Introduces One Dollar Debuts

Posted by k4tzm4n (45376 posts) - - Show Bio

You know how I'm always bugging all of you to check out Valiant, right? Well, come May 1st there will be no legitimate reason to not give the publisher a shot.

This May, every sold-out #1 from their 5 exceptionally good titles are being re-printed and put back on the shelves for just a dollar each. Or, you can pick up a bundle (dubbed the "One Dollar Debut: Wave One) which includes all of the issues for $4.95.

Remember that time you said you couldn't check out Valiant because you had a limited budget? Yeah, that excuse is no longer valid. Do yourself a favor and check these out when this promotion lands.

Staff
#1 Posted by usabfb (58 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you, Valiant.

#2 Posted by bladewolf (769 posts) - - Show Bio

@usabfb said:

Thank you, Valiant.

They know how to market, for sure. This may finally help me convince friends to actually buy Shadowman.

#3 Posted by HansBoy4TehWin (39 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG YES! I'm gonna' pick up Shadowman and X-O Manowar! Maybe even Archer and Armstrong! So excites!

#4 Posted by Darkmount1 (1277 posts) - - Show Bio

Now THIS is how you sell comics. Big Two and company, TAKE NOTES.

#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33610 posts) - - Show Bio

There is absolutely no reason not to buy these books

#6 Posted by YourCounterpoint (40 posts) - - Show Bio

I have been so against Valiant. But I suppose I should give it a shot. It's just I read about these characters and they don't exactly excite me. Bloodshot seems… ridiculous. X-O Manowar's costume is silly. I can't respect the man. As does Ninjak. I… These titles. I don't know. Also Archer and Armstrong look more like CrossBow and Hobo. I think Shadowman and Harbinger are the only ones I may be able to stand.

#7 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6311 posts) - - Show Bio

$1 reprints are a cool idea. I have $1 reprints of Madman #1 and Detective Comics #854.

#8 Posted by Mucklefluga (2570 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing is the first issues of the Valiant books were (maybe still are) free on comixology so i got them all on there.

#9 Posted by PirateJoe (5 posts) - - Show Bio

well played valiant well played

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33610 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourCounterpoint: you do know that judging books by there cover is wrong right?

@Mucklefluga: yea but their still those that are scared of digi comics

#11 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool idea. Very cool.

#12 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2257 posts) - - Show Bio

Just like the 'Image Firsts?' NICE.

#13 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33610 posts) - - Show Bio

moar Ninjak

#14 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm, I think I might actually look into this.

#15 Posted by sagejonathan (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

They love us. $1 issues and TPB for 5 issues only $10. Watch out Marvel and DC.

#16 Posted by SoA (4841 posts) - - Show Bio

it will gimme a chance to read x-o manowar. i read every other title but that one.

#17 Posted by Cavemold (1684 posts) - - Show Bio

RIDE ON. very cool .

#18 Posted by Mr_Hudson (300 posts) - - Show Bio

Very nice.

#19 Edited by nappystr8 (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

While I understand and respect the purpose of these types of reprints, they seem like more trouble than they're worth. Suppose someone picks this up in their local store to try it out, loves it, and wants issue #2 on, but the store is already up to issue #10 or so without any of the back issues? From what I've seen in the past from other publishers this isn't really the purpose anyway, it's more of an advertisement for the trades. But in those circumstances you end up paying for the material in the first issue twice. I just don't see the value in it.

I think it's a much better move to make a first issue $1 at it's first release, so that you can influence people to get in on the ground floor. There have been lots of books I never would have considered trying, that I gave a chance because I could try the book out at a low cost without getting behind. I discovered a lot of great books that way, whereas, I've only picked up a few of these reprint #1's in the past, and have never actually continued reading any of those series beyond the first issue.

#20 Posted by grifter78 (229 posts) - - Show Bio

Listen to Buy these books!

#21 Posted by hufnagel0 (26 posts) - - Show Bio

@nappystr8 said:

I think it's a much better move to make a first issue $1 at it's first release, so that you can influence people to get in on the ground floor.

Couldn't agree more. I hate passing on an unproven book based an two or three bucks, but I do it... like many others, I'm sure.

#22 Posted by SuperSlayin (67 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome sauce

#23 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Archer & Armstrong, Bloodshot and Shadowman for me!

#24 Posted by derf_jenkins (402 posts) - - Show Bio

I am already reading all of the Valiant titles and pay the $3.99 cover price. This seems like what my cable company does. They give new subscribers all the channels for $29 a month and I continue to pay $149 a month as a long time customer.

#25 Posted by MyComicStoreDotNET (46 posts) - - Show Bio

This is AWESOME. No matter what anyone may think of their books, Valiant sure knows how to treat comic book readers!

#26 Posted by ptigrusmagus (492 posts) - - Show Bio

'Some readers still scared of digi comics?' What a foolish statement. Paper comics are the better format and will be until digi comics have animated panels.

#27 Posted by sparty-dbq (808 posts) - - Show Bio

OK, yep, definitely going to try A&A for that price.

#28 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33610 posts) - - Show Bio

@ptigrusmagus said:

'Some readers still scared of digi comics?' What a foolish statement. Paper comics are the better format and will be until digi comics have animated panels.

yea, no.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.