Follow

Valiant/Acclaim

Publisher »

Valiant Comics began as an imprint of Voyager Communications, established in 1989 in part by former Marvel editor-in-chief Jim Shooter. It was discontinued in 1996 after being bought out by Acclaim Entertainment. After Acclaim closed its doors in 2004, the publisher was revived as Valiant Entertainment and has been publishing new material since May 2012.

Valiant First Initiative Launches Six New Titles, Including RAI

• 76 results
    JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

HOLY BALLS! Rai looks fuc**** gorgeous! Look at that Blade Runner sh**! Ahhhhhh!!!! I.AM.SO.EXCITE!!!!!!!!!1

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Oooohhhh daaammmnnn

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#53  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

These look pretty awesome. I have a question though:

Are these going to be new reader friendly?

I don't have any experience with Valiant, but these look like they could draw me in. However, if it brings me in to something I have no clue as to what is going on it would be very off putting and make me not want to pick them up. Anybody have a clue as to if these are just spawning off of what is already going on in Valiant or if these will be for new readers as well?

everything but the Armor hunters is totally new reader friendly. In fact you'd probably be fine getting the Armor Hunters stuff as well but to get the full affect you could catch up on XO-Manowar

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Cap10nate

@infamous_wolf: I'm just not a huge fan of the humor in the books. They both have interesting stories but just aren't my style in terms of humor.

Daring_Doodads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have all the new Valiant comics thanks to DCBS and their 50% off bundle.

Looking forward to these books though it isn't clear if some of these are minis, replacing pre-existing books, etc.

Zumafire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello Valiant fans - Where should I start with Valiant? I'd like to get a bit of some back story to this Universe before I jump in on the monthlies..

I've never ventured in the Valiant Universe.. The only stuff I've seen was the 90's era style Valiant Stuff. It never looked good.

Ready for Suggestions..

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Looks like it's going to be another amazing Summer of Valiant!!!

@longbowhunter said:

Roberto De La Torre has been killing it on Shadowman. Doctor Mirage will at least be a good looking book.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Shadowman's still my most favorite Valiant title and its new look is fantastic!

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@yung_ancient_one: isn't that already true?

@yung_ancient_one: I honestly think it's already Big Three with the third spot being a competition between between Valiant and Image though Valiant looks like they may take the lead with this announcement

I personally don't think so. I not saying this out of disrespect but in a honest opinion. I think Image once was in the run for being as big as The Big TWO, but fell off a bit, IMHO. Image lost the idea of 'we're taking over.' Valiant with these titles make it feel like they are taking over.

I honestly don't think Valiant is currently as big as The Big TWO. In all honesty, I feel like Image is bigger than Valiant at the moment. Image has The Walking Dead as a TV series, and have a Spawn movie under their belt. Hell, BOOM! Studios has Two Guns on the big screen.

Valiant is showing signs of possibly growing way more in the future. If they continue to release more series that comic book fans want to read and they garner enough equity and popularity to make movies and/or TV shows, then and only then, will I believe that The Big TWO has been abolished and now The Big THREE exist.

Valiant is having a good run at the moment. In my eyes, no different than the good run Image, BOOM! Studios, and other corporations have had in the past. That's just me though. (+)

Groundhog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Image are without a doubt bigger than Valiant: Valiant are less than 1% of the market share right now. It's criminal.

Valiant may not have the volume of titles that other publishers have (at this stage), but as far as quality goes - they are #1 IMO for bang for your buck. Shadowman has really been the only miss IMO and it's gotten better lately. Still lagging behind the other titles, but it's on the right track finally after a very uneven first year.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zumafire: I'd say Harbinger or XO-Manowar is a good place to start but really every book Valiant puts out is great so just pick on that you like the look of also all th issue are really cheap on Comixology

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

TAKE ALL OF MY MONEY

JUST TAKE IT

(LIKE A DIRTY GIRL)

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zumafire said:

Hello Valiant fans - Where should I start with Valiant? I'd like to get a bit of some back story to this Universe before I jump in on the monthlies..

I've never ventured in the Valiant Universe.. The only stuff I've seen was the 90's era style Valiant Stuff. It never looked good.

Ready for Suggestions..

X-O Manowar, Harbinger, Unity and Bloodshot are the core titles if you ask me. Also check out Harbinger wars (which is a event title for a Harbinger/Bloodshot crossover)

But really. Every title they are putting out is great. You can't go wrong with any of them. I'm reading all of them.

soumya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I want an honest opinion.Is valiant universe is something worth getting into?At this point,I could not possibly live without DC comics(not to mention I also follow Fatale,Walking Dead,Chew and The Wake).But then again the artwork of Rai made me mesmerized.Valiant makes me confused....

KubicSkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Art on Rai does nothing for me, I wonder why you guys are so positive about it. Seems just an uglier version of what Stjepan Sejic does at Top Cow.

Also I'm sad to see Valiant remains such a sausage-fest. Only book with a female lead is the last to come out, really?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kubicskull: Harbinger has girls in the team as does H.A.R.D Corps, then there is the Geomancers.

@soumya said:

I want an honest opinion.Is valiant universe is something worth getting into?At this point,I could not possibly live without DC comics(not to mention I also follow Fatale,Walking Dead,Chew and The Wake).But then again the artwork of Rai made me mesmerized.Valiant makes me confused....

What do you find confusing?

@zumafire said:

Ready for Suggestions..

X-O Manowar, Harbinger, Unity and Bloodshot are the core titles if you ask me. Also check out Harbinger wars (which is a event title for a Harbinger/Bloodshot crossover)

But really. Every title they are putting out is great. You can't go wrong with any of them. I'm reading all of them.

Bloodshot is ending tho

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

Rai!!!!!!!!!

Get ready to have your minds blown

soumya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kubicskull: Harbinger has girls in the team as does H.A.R.D Corps, then there is the Geomancers.

@soumya said:

Bloodshot is ending tho

I am confused because first of all I am avoiding cross overs.My budget is low as a matter of fact.Is there any chance that I could stick with one or two valiant book without getting crossovers.Then suggest me some.I like the premise of Rai.I heard Eternal Warrior is good.So, you know I am open for suggestions.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soumya said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@soumya said:

Bloodshot is ending tho

I am confused because first of all I am avoiding cross overs.My budget is low as a matter of fact.Is there any chance that I could stick with one or two valiant book without getting crossovers.Then suggest me some.I like the premise of Rai.I heard Eternal Warrior is good.So, you know I am open for suggestions.

Valiant don't crossover there books the same way DC and Marvel does, so for example when they did Harbinger Wars you could just read Harbinger and you would get ALL the story or you could just read Bloodshot and get ALL the story or you could just read the Harbinger Wars mini and still get ALL the story, you don't have to read books from other series to fill in the gaps. As for what books you should get all of Valiant's books are good so you really cant go wrong but what kind of comics do you like?

soumya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I like to see action,fun and a bit of mature elements in a comic book.Should I follow Bloodshot?I mean isn't Rai is somewhat connected with the concept of Bloodshot.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soumya: Hm he's only slightly connected to Bloodshot or at least he was so it might be different now with the reboot but yea, the books I would recommend to you is:

Bloodshot if you like violent military stuff like Punisher or Wolverine

Harbinger if you like coming of age telepathy stuff like X-Men

Archer & Armstrong if you like fun Illuminati smashing, tomb raiding adventures like "what if Indiana Jones and Short Round were Herc and Amadeus Cho"

XO-Manowar if you like big sci fi action kinda like "what if Conan was given the Iron Man armor and declared war on the Skrulls"

Unity if you like the big main lynch pin team books like JLA or Avengers

Shadowman if you like dark psychedelic horror like Hellblazer

Quantum & Woody if you like dumb but fun buddy cop duos like Cable & Deadpool

Eternal Warrior if you like immortal god slaying warriors, he's kinda like Wolverine in that the story can jump from the mythological past, to present day super hero, to thousands of years in the post-apocalyptic future.

Also here is a good interview about the new Rai book: EXCLUSIVE: Kindt Returns "Rai" to the Valiant U

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#71  Edited By frozenedge2

@lamenoire said:

@frozenedge said:

@yung_ancient_one: I honestly think it's already Big Three with the third spot being a competition between between Valiant and Image though Valiant looks like they may take the lead with this announcement

I personally don't think so. I not saying this out of disrespect but in a honest opinion. I think Image once was in the run for being as big as The Big TWO, but fell off a bit, IMHO. Image lost the idea of 'we're taking over.' Valiant with these titles make it feel like they are taking over.

I honestly don't think Valiant is currently as big as The Big TWO. In all honesty, I feel like Image is bigger than Valiant at the moment. Image has The Walking Dead as a TV series, and have a Spawn movie under their belt. Hell, BOOM! Studios has Two Guns on the big screen.

Valiant is showing signs of possibly growing way more in the future. If they continue to release more series that comic book fans want to read and they garner enough equity and popularity to make movies and/or TV shows, then and only then, will I believe that The Big TWO has been abolished and now The Big THREE exist.

Valiant is having a good run at the moment. In my eyes, no different than the good run Image, BOOM! Studios, and other corporations have had in the past. That's just me though. (+)

Yeah I agree that Image had that idea at one point but just kind of settled for "people knowing we exist beside DC and Marvel". The Spawn movie wasn't all that good to me IMO, and I don't even think most non-comic people even know Spawn came from Image. I'd say The Walking Dead is their most well known series right now at least it is for me since I don't read a lot of Image.

I only think Valiant is becoming a bigger name than Image is because they're slowly putting out more great books and their name is spreading out there where more than just a handful of people know about them. Heck a few of their books have actually sold out a day after they came out at one of the comic book stores I go to so they're definitely becoming well known now. But I agree with you that once they pick up the pace and get way more popularity then they'll definitely take that third spot with Marvel and DC.

soumya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Thanx man...I choose to follow Bloodshot,shadowman and eternal warrior.Then I will jump onto Rai.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soumya: No problem duder glad I could help also if your interested in Shadowman issue 13 is a great jumping on point

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yung_ancient_one said:

@lamenoire said:

@frozenedge said:

Yeah I agree that Image had that idea at one point but just kind of settled for "people knowing we exist beside DC and Marvel". The Spawn movie wasn't all that good to me IMO, and I don't even think most non-comic people even know Spawn came from Image. I'd say The Walking Dead is their most well known series right now at least it is for me since I don't read a lot of Image.

I only think Valiant is becoming a bigger name than Image is because they're slowly putting out more great books and their name is spreading out there where more than just a handful of people know about them. Heck a few of their books have actually sold out a day after they came out at one of the comic book stores I go to so they're definitely becoming well known now. But I agree with you that once they pick up the pace and get way more popularity then they'll definitely take that third spot with Marvel and DC.

You guys are thinking about this in completely the wrong way, Image is a creator owned publisher, it's nothing like DC, Marvel and Valiant. When Marvel want to make a film about a character then they go ahead and do it but Image dosn't own the rights the characters they publish, the creators do. Image can't make a Spawn movie, that's up to Todd Mcfarlane to get in connect with the movie guys and to get it made. Image can't make a Saga movie, that's up to Brian K Vaughan to get it made. Image didn't push for a Walking Dead tv show/game, that was all Kirkmans doing.

MasterBelmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By MasterBelmont

Delinquents looks great. I read Archer and Armstrong and have heard good things about Quantum and Woody, so this looks quite promising.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#76  Edited By Yung ANcient One

@jonny_anonymous: You have a great point. However, I feel like that only solidifies that Image can never be as big as The Big TWO, since all of their characters, they can't use. I think they are fairly popular and well known, but I don't see them ever reaching the same level as DC or Marvel. Honestly, I kind of don't want any other comic book company to be as big as The Big TWO.

I personally think if another corporation becomes as huge as Marvel and DC currently are, everything will suck. I honestly think if any other comicbook company (BOOM! Studios, Dark Hoarse, Valiant, Dynamite) we're in the same shoes as Marvel and DC, they would do the exact same things.

I see all the "indies" making the same awful decisions The Big TWO make solely on the fact that it will be more profitable, if they were in the same position that DC and MARVEL are in, IMOH. (+)

Zumafire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Zumafire

@jonny_anonymous@fallschirmjager thanks for the info and break down of all the Valiant Books. These look like something I will like very much. I love hard sci-fi / space Opera. I love what Hickman has done with Avengers/NewAvengers. Last year I absolutely loved Abnett and Lannings Hypernaturals. I'm also pumped for this new Honor Harrington series coming out this spring. .. . . .

One more question.. Is there a good jumping on point? Anywhere from the last few years where I can just jump in and play catch up?

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@zumafire: X-O Manowar is the definitive sci-fi stuff (though doesn't really take place in space at all).

Harbinger is more teenage coming of age with powers.

(Personally think New Avengers is lame though, only reading it cos of BP, but that's a different subject)

what books do you want jumping on points for? i'd honestly recommend just starting at 0/1 if you can afford it...they're too good.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.