Follow

Valiant/Acclaim

Publisher »

Valiant Comics began as an imprint of Voyager Communications, established in 1989 in part by former Marvel editor-in-chief Jim Shooter. It was discontinued in 1996 after being bought out by Acclaim Entertainment. After Acclaim closed its doors in 2004, the publisher was revived as Valiant Entertainment and has been publishing new material since May 2012.

Valiant Comics Relaunched with Former Marvel CEO as Chairman

• 57 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_
    No Caption Provided

After nearly ten years without publishing any books, Valiant Comics is preparing for their return to comics. Earlier today Valiant Comics announced their return to publishing as Valiant Entertainment with former Marvel CEO and Vice Chairman Peter Cuneo at the helm as Chairman. The announcement comes at a time where comic markets have stabilized, and non-superhero books seem to be strengthening.

Cuneo first joined Marvel in 2009 as their Chief Executive Officer around the time Marvel first filed for bankruptcy. Cuneo managed to help turn the company around and continued to serve on the company's Board of Directors until Marvel's sale to The Walt Disney Company was finalized in 2009. Following his departure from Marvel, Cuneo has acted as Managing Principal of Cuneo & Company, LLC., the same company that has invested in Valiant Entertainment.

== TEASER ==

Valiant Announces Investment and Expansion of Management Team
    New York, NY – June 2, 2011 – Valiant Entertainment, the character-based entertainment company with more than 1,500 characters in its library, announced it will reintroduce the critically acclaimed Valiant Universe in print and digital comics in 2012. Valiant has hired accomplished industry executives and creative talent to expand its management team. The first announcement is that former Marvel CEO and Vice Chairman Peter Cuneo has assumed the role of Chairman of Valiant.

Valiant Entertainment, co-founded by Jason Kothari and Dinesh Shamdasani, has received a capital infusion from private investment company Cuneo & Company, LLC. Peter Cuneo, Managing Principal of Cuneo & Co., recently concluded ten years of leadership at Marvel Entertainment.

Valiant first launched during the comics boom in 1989 and saw success for about ten years, selling over 80 million comics within the first five years of it's inception. The company was eventually purchased by Acclaim Entertainment in 1994, and in 1996 Valiant Comics was renamed to Acclaim Comics and began streamlining their properties to cater to the development of new Acclaim video game franchises; such as Shadowman and Turok the Dinosaur Hunter, for example. Valiant saw it's decline coincide with the decline of the comics industry, and it's parent company Acclaim filed for bankruptcy in 2004. During the years of it's publication, Valiant predominantly published superhero comic books that were grounded by consequence, continuity and the laws of physics. It will be interesting to see if Valiant returns to it's superhero roots, or if they will focus on other, different genres. What do you think of the return of Valiant? Did you read Valiant in the 1990's? Did you have a favorite title? Do you look forward to it's return?

Valiant Director Dinesh Shamdasani plans to announce Valiant Entertainment's 2012 scheduled launch soon.

No Caption Provided
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Amegashita

The moment I saw, former Marvel CEO I instantly thought of Stan Lee.  Shame on me.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Trodorne
    @Amegashita said:
      The moment I saw, former Marvel CEO I instantly thought of Stan Lee.  Shame on me.
    Lol shame on you.

But this sounds interesting Im thinking they might try to focus on making digital comics.
    pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#3  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

They must be counting every single person that ever appeared in their comics to hit 1500 characters lol, there aren't that are well know and most of those have already transfered over to Dark Horse (Magnus, Solar, Turok) so I am curious to see what is left. I was more a fan of the Acclaim years but I would like to see the return of Master Darque (if they can get Manco back), Ninjak, X-O, Geomancer, The Troublemakers, Quantum and Woody and if they bring back Waterworld I am sold :D

humanfly26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By humanfly26

played some of the video games they made, but didn't get to read any of their comics. this should be interesting..

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By turoksonofstone

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

No Caption Provided
    Dr.Eclipse is coming Battle Forums. 

The Acclaim line sucked!!!! the VEI line is focused on the V1 line according to the site(which has now been locked. used to have full bios on everyone). So no Turok, Magnus, Solar for sure. 
    I would expect to see Master Darque, Dr. Eclipse, The Spider Aliens, X-O Manowar (Aric), Rai, Bloodshot, The Immortal brothers, Archer, Shadowman I and II, etc. 
         Very exciting. But without Jim Shooter my expectations will be low.
    Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

@Amegashita: I was actually thinking Tom Defalco for some reason
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By cattlebattle

This is great

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jordanstine

To lazy to google but is X-O Manowar a Valiant book?

I always liked the design.

Woodclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Woodclaw

The Valiant Universe is still one of my favourite comic book continuities, this news can be the beginning of a new era for it. Great!!

Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wattup

Ninjak!!!

Enderof295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Enderof295

Not to be a stickler, but he was CEO from 1999 to 2002.
    Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Baddamdog

Am I really bad in saying I have no idea about Valiant comics? 

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By iLLituracy

What is Valiant without Magnus and Solar? If they don't have those characters I'm not sure I'll be reading many of their books. Harbinger and X-O will be on my pull list, though. If they come back.

Baal1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Baal1986

Archer and Armstrong please!!! (and may it be written by Barry Windsor-Smith)

stuamerica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By stuamerica

Without Turok and Solar I am skeptical
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @Baal1986 said:

I would but any BWS issues they publish! I still have an unopened "Armstrong Ale"
    shadow303030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By shadow303030

Love to see their lineup posted. Would also love to see the First comic lineup added to Valiant.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By JonesDeini

Hmmm color me intrigued. 

Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mumbles

x-o-manowar baby!

Avatar image for old_comic_lover_50
    Old_Comic_Lover_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-O MANOWAR ALL THE WAY.
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Valiant's coming back? Yeah baby! I absolutely loved Valiant in the 90s and have several issues, but probably my favorite is the whole first volume of X-O Manowar.  I really look forward to this.

kumo4033

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kumo4033

Without the Main three characters (Magnus, Solar, Turok) . It will be interesting to see where Valiant Comics will be heading .  Just think about it . DC comics without Superman . Batman and Wonder Woman . Or Marvel without  Iron Man ,  Captain America  Spider - man. I don't know. But I wouldn't mind giving it a look .

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Amegashita
    @haydenclaireheroes:  Well your mind was way more open than mine was.  Lol.
    pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
    @turoksonofstone said:
    Dr.Eclipse is coming Battle Forums.  The Acclaim line sucked!!!! the VEI line is focused on the V1 line according to the site(which has now been locked. used to have full bios on everyone). So no Turok, Magnus, Solar for sure. I would expect to see Master Darque, Dr. Eclipse, The Spider Aliens, X-O Manowar (Aric), Rai, Bloodshot, The Immortal brothers, Archer, Shadowman I and II, etc.      Very exciting. But without Jim Shooter my expectations will be low.
    Awww Acclaim wasn't that bad, come on Quantum and Woody and the G.O.A.T. !!! and Master Darque under Leonardo Manco was incredible, I've still got original signed art from Master Darque and Darque Passages.
    RustyGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RustyGates

This is great news for the comics industry if it's able to sustain these smaller publishers.   

Also, I really miss the days when you had multiple superhero universes like the Ultraverse and Image Universe to choose from.  Good to see that those days are kinda making a comeback.
    Piout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Piout

X-O Manowar, Harbinger, Hard Corps, Armorines...  and then some...
    They're the reason I started reading comic books.  I still have most of them in mint condition...

CANT WAIT

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Dude4:  
    We could always read Dynamite's Public Domain characters form Project Super Powers lol but yeah, Comics used to have such a wide rang of diversity even within the sub genres. I hope that Valiant can keep it going and open the door for other small companies to carve out a niche. Ever since T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents resumed under Nick Spencer I've been thinking about things like this. 
    Tigerstriper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Tigerstriper

Bloodshot

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @pikahyper said:

@turoksonofstone said:

Dr.Eclipse is coming Battle Forums.  The Acclaim line sucked!!!! the VEI line is focused on the V1 line according to the site(which has now been locked. used to have full bios on everyone). So no Turok, Magnus, Solar for sure. I would expect to see Master Darque, Dr. Eclipse, The Spider Aliens, X-O Manowar (Aric), Rai, Bloodshot, The Immortal brothers, Archer, Shadowman I and II, etc.      Very exciting. But without Jim Shooter my expectations will be low.
    Awww Acclaim wasn't that bad, come on Quantum and Woody and the G.O.A.T. !!! and Master Darque under Leonardo Manco was incredible, I've still got original signed art from Master Darque and Darque Passages.
    They don't own those guys I think Acclaim does...Are you familiar with the legal hangups these properties have had? 

@JonesDeini said:
    @Dude4:  We could always read Dynamite's Public Domain characters form Project Super Powers lol but yeah, Comics used to have such a wide rang of diversity even within the sub genres. I hope that Valiant can keep it going and open the door for other small companies to carve out a niche. Ever since T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents resumed under Nick Spencer I've been thinking about things like this. 
    I thought superpowers got cancelled.
    pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
    @turoksonofstone said:
    They don't own those guys I think Acclaim does...Are you familiar with the legal hangups these properties have had? 
    Ya I kept up with some of the drama but eventually gave up, they probably do own them, I'm pretty sure they own Concrete Jungle, I'm just hoping since Valient is somehow getting back their other properties that they will snag some of the other ones. That Waterworld mini they did was barely getting started :P
    SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By SuperXAsh

Uhhh... Turok??? :P *doesn't know much about the Valiant stuff*

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    No Caption Provided
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Eyz

Unexpected?

They shoulda just joined Dark Horse, for the best..

Out_of_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By Out_of_Space

Damn that's interesting.

Avatar image for fortressofthemoon
    FortressoftheMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Harbinger, Blooshot, and Man-O-War. I hope they do another Man-O-War/Ironman crossover.
    karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By karrob

@turoksonofstone said:
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
    No Caption Provided
    AskaniSon295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AskaniSon295

I Hope They make it like the Old valiant U was, Before Acclaim took over and tried to turn it into the Image U. I Liked Eternal Warrior, Archer & Armstrong and Timewalker, Geomancer, Shadowman, H.A.R.D. Corps, Harbinger, Bloodshot, Ninjak, Rai, Psi Lords.  Would Love to see a real Intercontinuity that is revealed over time Like Babylon 5 or Battlestar Galactica. The should get Grant Morrison, Warren Ellis, Brian K. Vaughn, Mark Millar to write it.

Raul_The_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By Raul_The_Man

Valiant was great! This is great news. There were many I enjoyed but what stands out right now in my head is xo manowar and ninjak.
    blackair9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By blackair9

NINJAK! can't wait

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Marshal Victory
    @Baal1986 said:

Own most of the run my self .It had it moments of greatnes with windsor-smith for sure.That an Harbinger were some of the mroe intresting titles to me.Hopeing for windsor on arhcer an armstrong my self as well.Id buy that as a monthly.Tho these days i just buy hardcovers an trades i could be lured back to a monthly with that combo.
    4Essence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By 4Essence

Wait. So how is this working? Did Valiant get back the titles and characters sold to Acclaim?
    kumo4033

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kumo4033

Valiant Entertainment, the character-based entertainment company with more than 1,500 characters in its library, 
     Can anyone list some of the Character from the 1500 library , Because  I can't 

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @kumo4033:  
    Toyo Harada- Evil Version of Professor X 
    Harbinger- A more realistic young "X-Men" 
    Master Darque- Works with Necromantic (Death)energy to perform magic, he created Dr.Eclipse an evil version of Dr.Solar that Valiant still owns.  
     X-O Manowar Vol. 1 was sweet!
    They introduced tons of characters or at least hinted at them. Thick continuity.
    Later issues set in Magnus's time period Introduced alluded to others. 
    It only know occurs to me they must also own Erica Pierce AKA the "Mothergod" from Unity
    and many others have a look...... 
    No Caption Provided
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#44  Edited By cbishop

I think X-O Manowar was the best all-original book that they had, but I do not think that it can carry a comic line.  If the Gold Key characters aren't part of the line, I don't see this lasting very long.  I'd have much rather seen the rest of the Valiant line fold into Dark Horse.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By Decept-O

This is very surprising news and a huge gamble.

Valiant, like Image, spurned forth an excess amount of comics and essentially flooded the market as well, but people still got into the comics. They weren't bad ( although there will be some contention about some titles), but I don't know which properties they would choose to relaunch.

I think Solar, Man of the Atom was really good. I will check them out if they are affordable, but I am just thinking this is a risky move in today's comic book market. I wish them success.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @cbishop@Decept-O:  
    Looks like they are headlining with RAI. (bloodshot, blood of heroes) see Rai #0.
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Decept-O

@turoksonofstone: Interesting, thanks for the fill-in. I read RAI but only when he crossed over into the other titles. My Valiant comics were sporadic but I enjoyed them even if they got a bit of a bad rap. Well, Ninjak always got a bad rap.

I am still surprised. I think RAI could be potential movie material, perhaps that is why they are trying this?

Also, does this mark the return of the Chromium Cover?

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @Decept-O:  
    I know a Harbinger Movie was in the works at some point.. 
    Rai and Harbinger would allow them to utilize gobs of the iffy, Magnus, Turok, and Solar continuity 
    Maybe the Valiant version of Lost Land too?. 
    What about the Destroyer version of Solar? I wonder..
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Decept-O

@turoksonofstone: With Solar, unfortunately, some people would say he's too much like Dr. Manhattan. Actually, Alan Moore did base Manhattan off a number of characters, so there is little surprise there. The Destroyer version, well, have to say I am not familiar with it. My Valiant reading was sporadic but I enjoyed what I did read...well, Ninjak being an exception...Ha Ha! I love dissing on Ninjak.

I would love to see a Turok Dinoasur Hunter movie. While my video gaming has also been sporadic I have played the video game and do know the character a little. I think it could be a joy ride just to watch nothing but mayhem!

Harbinger and Hard Corps would be a bit of a challenge. I'd say Rai, Turok, and possibly Archer and Armstrong would be good potential materials for movies. Just my opinion.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @Decept-O:  
    Being that Solar is from the Silver Age I'd contend Dr. Manhattan is the one similar to Solar, BTW the Gold Key Line from Dark Horse already has Magnus, Turok, and Solar so the better movie options are already out. lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.