Follow

Valiant/Acclaim

Publisher »

Valiant Comics began as an imprint of Voyager Communications, established in 1989 in part by former Marvel editor-in-chief Jim Shooter. It was discontinued in 1996 after being bought out by Acclaim Entertainment. After Acclaim closed its doors in 2004, the publisher was revived as Valiant Entertainment and has been publishing new material since May 2012.

Sony Pictures and Valiant Announce Five-Picture Deal to Bring Properties to Big Screen

• 63 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

No Caption Provided

Valiant Entertainment and Sony Pictures today announced a deal to bring two of Valiant's award-winning comic book superhero franchises—BLOODSHOT and HARBINGER—to the big screen over the course of five feature films that will culminate in the shared universe crossover film, HARBINGER WARS.

No Caption Provided

BLOODSHOT, arriving in theaters in 2017, will kick off the five-picture plan leading to HARBINGER WARS and will be directed by David Leitch & Chad Stahelski (John Wick) from a script by Jeff Wadlow (Kick Ass 2) and Eric Heisserer (Story of Your Life). Neal H. Moritz and Toby Jaffe from Original Film (The Fast and the Furious franchise) and Dinesh Shamdasani from Valiant Entertainment will produce the film. Matthew Vaughn and Jason Kothari will serve as executive producers.

HARBINGER will follow shortly thereafter from a script by Eric Heisserer (Story of Your Life). Sony and Valiant remain tight-lipped about potential directors. Neal H. Moritz and Toby Jaffe from Original Film (The Fast and the Furious franchise) and Dinesh Shamdasani from Valiant Entertainment will produce.

Both BLOODSHOT and HARBINGER will be followed by sequels before the title characters confront each other head on in HARBINGER WARS—a motion picture directly inspired by Valiant’s critically acclaimed 2013 comic book crossover of the same name. Andrea Giannetti will oversee the five-picture HARBINGER WARS initiative for Sony Pictures.

“Valiant is one of the most successful publishers in the history of comics, and Neal is one of the best action producers in the business today. This is a formidable partnership that will bring two incredibly commercial franchises with global appeal together on the big screen,” said Sony Entertainment Motion Picture Group President Doug Belgrad. “The long-term plan that begins with BLOODSHOT will be a considerable priority for Sony in the months and years to come.”

Brought back from the dead and infused with cutting-edge nanotechnology by private security contractor Project Rising Spirit, Bloodshot is a nearly unstoppable killing machine equipped with enhanced strength, speed, endurance, and healing. Created by Kevin VanHook, Don Perlin, and Bob Layton in 1992, Bloodshot is one of the most successful new comic book characters of the past two decades with more than 100 issues published and lifetime sales of more than 7 million copies in multiple languages around the world. After returning with a sold-out new series in 2012, Bloodshot’s latest chapter recently began with the release of Bloodshot Reborn #1 in April—the first issue of a new series from New York Times best-selling writer Jeff Lemire and artist Mico Suayan.

No Caption Provided

Centered on telekinetic teenage runaway Peter Stanchek and his recruitment into the mysterious Harbinger Foundation by secretive CEO and philanthropist Toyo Harada, Harbinger was created by former Marvel Editor-in-Chief Jim Shooter and artist David Lapham in 1992. Having sold more than 5 million copies worldwide in multiple languages across more than 60 issues, Harbinger returned with a new series in 2012 to multiple sold-out printings and widespread critical acclaim.

Bloodshot and Harbinger collide in Harbinger Wars—Valiant’s 2013 crossover event from writers Joshua Dysart and Duane Swierczynski with art by Clayton Henry, Clayton Crain, and Pere Perez. Valiant’s first crossover of the modern era, Harbinger Wars would go on to become the year’s best-selling crossover event from an independent publisher and spawned multiple sold-out printings.

“Bloodshot and Harbinger are two of the great untapped franchises anywhere in comics,” said producer and founder of Original Film, Neal H. Moritz. “In partnership with Sony and Valiant, we look forward to building the next great generation of superhero films.”

“Sony Pictures and Neal Moritz are the ideal partners to bring the world of Bloodshot and Harbinger to life,” said Valiant CEO & Chief Creative Officer Dinesh Shamdasani. “They understand exactly what makes these characters tick and the exciting potential that they hold. These films are just the first step in partnership with Sony to bring Valiant’s biggest heroes to new audiences worldwide.”

Celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2015, Valiant is one of the most successful comic book publishing companies in the history of the medium with more than 81 million comics sold and a library of more than 2,000 distinct characters. Established by a brain trust of legendary comics creators, Valiant’s heroes and villains inhabit the largest independently owned superhero universe anywhere in comics. Re-established in 2005 as Valiant Entertainment, the company returned to great commercial and critical success in 2012, winning a Diamond Gem Award for Publisher of the Year and numerous industry awards and accolades. To date, Valiant’s titles consistently rate among the best reviewed in comics.

Valiant’s comic book universe—which includes the best-selling superheroes Bloodshot, Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Shadowman, and Archer & Armstrong, among many others—is characterized by a grounded, character-driven approach to storytelling. Its stories take place in a world only subtly removed from our own—one inspired by real-world science and inhabited by morally ambiguous heroes that often forgo capes and secret identities.

In March, Valiant announced that it partnered with Beijing-based entertainment company DMG for nine-figures of film financing capital for the production of theatrical films and television programs based on Valiant’s library of iconic superhero characters.

With over fifty films released, Neal Moritz’s worldwide box office gross exceeds $7 billion. His hits include: the Jump Street franchise, The Fast and The Furious franchise, I Am Legend, XXX, Click, Sweet Home Alabama, S.W.A.T., Battle: Los Angeles, and The Green Hornet.

In addition to BLOODSHOT, HARBINGER, and HARBINGER WARS, Moritz also has several films in development with Sony Pictures, including Passengers, Christian the Lion, 23 Jump Street, Cliffhanger, Rockets Red Glare, and A Prophet.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

excited to see a valiant crossover movies series

disappointed its sony . lol

pinecone1510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

They got some legit directors for bloodshot. Hopefully it's like a super-hero 90's action film. While Harbinger has me most excited cause it's a really dark comic involving teens with latent powers.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

The John WIck guys on Bloodshot is perfect.

tchalla3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tchalla3000

@pinecone: I'm excited about harbinger too. It's going to be fun seeing these stories on the big screen (I hope).

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Warner Bros. has DC, Disney has Marvel....Sony Pictures has Valiant! Ha! I'll miss the ASM stuff but Valiant will blow both studios out of the water.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems overly ambitious for something that could easily flop.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

They'll probably see how this goes... then if it does well they will possibly start an X-O Manowar and Eternal Warrior version culminating with Unity. Tying in Livewire and Toyo Harada from the Harbinger Movies.

The John Wick guys for Bloodshot are perfect.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#8 k4tzm4n  Moderator

They need to get Ken Watanabe for Toyo!

No Caption Provided

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By SaintWildcard

@jwalser3 said:

Warner Bros. has DC, Disney has Marvel....Sony Pictures has Valiant! Ha! I'll miss the ASM stuff but Valiant will blow both studios out of the water.

Heh, nah

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

No Caption Provided

Okay, this would be too perfect.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@k4tzm4n said:

No Caption Provided

Usually I hate most casting picks but this really is good.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only really interested in Harbinger.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So many CMB movies....

John-PH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

No Caption Provided

Yes... yes they do!

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By righteous300

Praying for Ninjak

_ANDY_CAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

now i want Legendary to purchase image comics.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmmm... 5 movies... Superman is barely hanging in there after 5 movies.

Batman doesn't have 5 straight good movies.

Cats like Hulk and GL have decades of pop culture exposure and struggle to put out 1 decent movie.

By the time these movies start coming out we will have so many CBMs we won't know what to do. I mean Sony had a hard time with some of the most popular names ever.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sounds awesome. I hate to admit though that all the redundancy in Harbinger Wars is when I quit reading Valiant. The crossover issues showing the exact same thing and jumping back and forth in chronology kind of lost me. Maybe I will pick it up again at some point with the movies coming out.

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By KritikalMassX

Somewhere right now, Kevin Maher is losing his freakin' mind. LOL

But yeah, I'm excited to see a Bloodshot movie and a Harbringer one. Hopefully X-O Manowar and Ninjak isn't too far behind.

And I won't be surprised (but I'll be happy) if Image follows down the same path as Marvel, DC, and Valiant.

Avatar image for that_one_guy_at_the_comic_shop
    that_one_guy_at_the_comic_shop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

aww, no archer and armstrong? no XO manowar?

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would anybody hire Jeff Wadlow after the sh!tstorm that was Kick-Ass 2?

Avatar image for 51stpresidentofplanetneutral
    51stPresidentofPlanetNeutral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

"... bringing HARBINGER to the big screen..."
    "... HARBINGER to the big screen..."
    "... HARBINGER..."
    "... big screen..."

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

Sweet.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I'm excited to see Bloodshot. This could be really cool. I hope they give it the 80s-90s action movie treatment with a superhero lead. Could be a lot of fun.

Although a 5 picture deal without testing the waters on these characters is a risk. We haven't gotten one good Hulk solo film yet and he has decades of great stories. Still, I don't want to be a nay-sayer and will definitely be giving these a look.

Like I've been saying, good time to be a comic fan.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aw yes bring it on!

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Well looks like Sony found their new cashcow. :|

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sounds awesome. I hate to admit though that all the redundancy in Harbinger Wars is when I quit reading Valiant. The crossover issues showing the exact same thing and jumping back and forth in chronology kind of lost me. Maybe I will pick it up again at some point with the movies coming out.

You aren't meant to read all the books in Harbinger Wars, if you read Harbinger then you get the whole story, if you read Bloodshot then you get the whole story. Your not meant to read both.

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblackhood said:

You aren't meant to read all the books in Harbinger Wars, if you read Harbinger then you get the whole story, if you read Bloodshot then you get the whole story. Your not meant to read both.

That sort of seems like a bad way to write a crossover when you are a smaller company. At the time I was reading everything that Valiant put out (which was only about 10 books a month) why have so much overlap? I understand why they did it, but it still seems kind of silly.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Hopefully they won't screw this up as much as they screwed up their Marvel properties.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
    Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I haven't started actively reading anything from Valiant, but I'm still extremely excited for this. I'm sure that Lietch and Stahelski will kill it on Bloodshot.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

I can barely contain my excitement for this! John Wick was great and that style would be perfect for Bloodshot. I'm so pumped.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

@theblackhood said:

That sort of seems like a bad way to write a crossover when you are a smaller company. At the time I was reading everything that Valiant put out (which was only about 10 books a month) why have so much overlap? I understand why they did it, but it still seems kind of silly.

Better that than forcing people to buy books they don't read just to get part of the story

Supersmoothers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is a bad idea, you guys know that right?

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#38  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

VALIANT getting into the superhero movie game also!!!!!! OHHHH DAMNNN!!!!!

COMIC BOOK movies and TTV shows everyywehereeee aAHHHHHHHHHHHH this is heaven

Watch out Mavela nd DC Valaint is coming!!! (joking)

~MiB

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeeaaaaassshhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Wow....wow. Now all we need is for somebody to pick up Image Comics. Maybe Universal?

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wait i thought Valiant was already with some Chinese company? UMG or somehting or another for a 8 figure price tag too.

so im a tiny bit confused

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's my X-O Manowar movie?!?!!

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not into valiant so these are wait and see.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't remember the last time Sony had a good movie.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I love this because I love Valiant.

I hate this because I hate how over saturated the market is with comic book films.

The CBM bubble is inevitably going to burst, people. It will bring another huge crash to the industry, and people will look back at the late 2000s and the 2010s and wonder what the hell we were thinking.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully we get a Ninjak movie too

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwalser3 said:

Heh, nah

Heh, yeah. I have high hopes for a Bloodshot movie.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#50 owie  Moderator

Cool, although it does seem like they could cut out the two sequels and go for Ninjak and XO Man o War instead.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.