NYCC 2012: VALIANT: The future of VALIANT panel recap

Posted by k4tzm4n (51181 posts) - - Show Bio

The summer of Valiant has passed and now it's time to look to the future.  You're severely missing out if you're not reading Valiant's reboots.  They each have an incredible and different vibe and best of all, they're extremely friendly to new readers (keep an eye out next week for a feature saying why you should read Valiant!).

A familiar Valiant character will soon make his debut in ARCHER AND ARMSTRONG.  The Eternal Warrior will pop up in issue #5 of Fred Van Lente's title.  The immortal sets his sights on Archer when the young and skilled kid is classified as a threat to the planet.  Armstrong vs Eternal Warrior should be a blast to watch. 

The first story in BLOODSHOT will help the soldier find out what he was, but not who he is.  Starting with issue #5, he'll once again go guns blazing to discover his identity.  This is when Bloodshot will encounter a team titled Chainsaw.  The four combatant crew was Project Rising Spirit's earlier attempt at making human/technology hybrids.  Valiant is also looking to begin connecting their titles and we'll find out with issue #7 that he once hunted harbingers in a story appropriately titled "Harbinger Hunter." 

HARBINGER fans have a superb looking issue #0 on its way.  The story will dive into Toyo Harada's early years spent in a refugee camp.  The panel drew comparisons to the child in the film Looper, but I'll keep it spoiler-free just in case you haven't seen the movie yet.  The bleak origin will also foreshadow some of Valiant's bigger plans for next summer.  Additionally, we'll begin to see a focus on different harbingers at Harada's Foundation.

SHADOWMAN is Valiant's latest title (bringing the total to 5).  It's written by Justin Jordan and Patrick Zircher and will dive into the darker areas of the Valiant universe.  This will be the publisher's go-to title for fantasy fans and the first issue will be out November 7th. 

Now to my favorite from Valiant: X-O MANOWAR.  "Planet Death" will begin with issue #11 and it's all about Aric taking the fight to the Vine homeworld.  I guess it's easy being a one-man army when you're rocking that armor.  This story will also see the return of the commando armor.  It's a rank under Aric's suit and the Vine will use it in an attempt to stop his killing spree.    

Finally, Valiant is digitally re-releasing the fan favorite QUANTUM AND WOODY on comiXology.  The first 12 issues will be available on 10/24 and the remainder will go live on 10/31.  To top it off, issue #1 is free.
#1 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Ahhhhhh, Eternal Warrior! Chainsaw guys look pretty bad@$$ to me. That Harbinger cover revealing Harada against those soldiers is simply wonderful. Shadowman is great and X-O warring on the Vine now huh? I like where this is going. Gosh if only I had more $$$ to be able to spend on these titles. I love Valiant so much...

#2 Posted by Mr_Colossus (93 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like Valiant has some pretty nice art work. Might be worth me picking up a title or two from them.

#3 Posted by k4tzm4n (51181 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr_Colossus@RedheadedAtrocitus: Updated with a few more images!
#4 Posted by longbowhunter (7533 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never read anything from Valiant. But Archer & Armstrong and Shadowman are very appealing. I've yet to hear anything bad about this line's relaunch.

#5 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Awesome updates man!

#6 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

My older brother had the older Quantum and Woody series a while back. I wonder if he still has it. He loved comics in the 90's and he stopped reading them. He loved the action of the 90's X-Men, and he liked Rai and X-O back in the day.

I am glad that Valiant is back.

#7 Posted by badaboop (137 posts) - - Show Bio

I read Valiant back in the 90's but I haven't been able to catch up on their relaunch with my tight budget. I really want to get back into X-O Manowar, it looks really good. I'm also interested in Bloodshot, I've heard good things. Anyone know how many titles Valiant has now?

#8 Posted by jesusdisciple001 (546 posts) - - Show Bio

like that they're in d same universe also is Aric good?

#9 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

@badaboop said:

I read Valiant back in the 90's but I haven't been able to catch up on their relaunch with my tight budget. I really want to get back into X-O Manowar, it looks really good. I'm also interested in Bloodshot, I've heard good things. Anyone know how many titles Valiant has now?

5 including the upcoming Shadowman title.

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34359 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n: Hugly looking forward to Shadowman ^_^
#11 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

God I hope Shadowman isn't really good, Valiant is killing me with the $3.99 books but I can't stop reading X-O Manowar.

#12 Posted by sagejonathan (2014 posts) - - Show Bio

Valiant is so good right now.

#13 Posted by jesusdisciple001 (546 posts) - - Show Bio

I kinda miss old valiant coloring shown in last variant 4 x-o also dey wil succeed as long as its in same universe,den is ninjak dead as he appeared in #5 of x-o right

#14 Posted by TheHT (72 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh maaaaan, Valiant is still around?! When I was a kid I used to get a 3-pack of comics from the dollar store and they were almost always Valiant. I dunno why I assumed they went away.

#15 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow the art on X-O manowar looks fantastic!

but how is the story???

#16 Posted by k4tzm4n (51181 posts) - - Show Bio
@zackattack529 said:

Wow the art on X-O manowar looks fantastic!

but how is the story???

Fantastic.  It's my favorite Valiant title at the moment.
#17 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34359 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheHT: They did and they'v just recently came back, all there books are around issue #4 right now 

@zackattack529: real good
#18 Posted by cacarl (138 posts) - - Show Bio

They were giving free comics at Comic Con. I felt bad because everybody was trying to avoid the booth.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.