Follow

Valiant/Acclaim

Publisher »

Valiant Comics began as an imprint of Voyager Communications, established in 1989 in part by former Marvel editor-in-chief Jim Shooter. It was discontinued in 1996 after being bought out by Acclaim Entertainment. After Acclaim closed its doors in 2004, the publisher was revived as Valiant Entertainment and has been publishing new material since May 2012.

Comic Book Question of the Week: Favorite Valiant Series

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Big Two are pretty busy with new big events and all that, so we thought we'd give the other publishers some love over the next few weeks in this segment. Week after week, we're going to ask you what your favorite book from various publishers are (Marvel and DC aside, of course). This way, you can happily cheerlead for your favorite title and tell the world why it's worth their money. And, if you're not reading anything from the publisher, reading the discussion could serve as a great way to see if anything grabs your interest and -- dare I say it -- tempt you to pick up something totally new! The Big Two have a plethora of books we love, but there's plenty of other fantastic titles out there just waiting to be read as well. Hopefully, this will motivate some of you out there to step outside your comfort zone just a wee bit and jump into something new.

This week, we're diving into a publisher many of us here at Comic Vine adore a good deal: Valiant. The publisher has been gradually expanding since its reboot in 2012, already having their first big event (HARBINGER WARS) and are bringing two new titles our way (ETERNAL WARRIOR and UNITY). That said, we're wondering what title you're digging the most. Click the link below (you know, the bold and underlined link blatantly informing you) to vote and share in the comments below why the title earned your admiration.

CLICK HERE TO VOTE!

No Caption Provided

Voting will remain open until Thursday morning (ET). Shortly afterwards, a new feature with the poll results and more will hit the homepage, so be sure to check back then!

Avatar image for shallbecomeabattoo
    Shallbecomeabattoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I mean, yeah, Valiant does some high quality books, without a doubt, but I love too much stuff from DC, Marvel and Image to take on more books. I have read the first trade of Harbinger and X-O Manowar and thought they were really well done, but for me personally it wasn't enough, especially since its another shared universe and with those its always more fun the more books you read. So, yeah, my wallet can't take any more comics right now and I won't drop books that I already love. But I do think Valiant is a great alternative for people who maybe are a bit tired of DC/Marvel.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

So far Shadowman is top dog for me. It's everything I love; magic, horror and superheroes. I've just dipped my toes in the water with Valiant so my answer could change at anytime.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I loooove me some Valiant

Nahuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd wish I could read more of Valiant, but their books are really hard (or impossible) to find in my country and my pull list is already full with Marvel and DC books, but last week I read Quantum & Woody #1 and it was a blast! So my vote goes for that book

GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of these catch my eye from an outsiders perspective. And I have to admit that I am almost committed to the idea of a "shared universe". Does Valiant have that?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 k4tzm4n  Moderator

None of these catch my eye from an outsiders perspective. And I have to admit that I am almost committed to the idea of a "shared universe". Does Valiant have that?

Yes, it's a shared universe.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Valiant has been wonderful so far. It may be the new car smell, but everything has been top shelf. The universe is being structured in a cohesive manner that is not possible with 50+ ongoings at time like Marvel/DC have at the moment. I love how the whole Universe is set up as one giant story so far and not as episodic as a lot of ongoings that are deep in their runs. Over the past year, I have dropped my DC pulls from 9 to 2 and increased my Valiant pulls from 0 to 5. Two more will be added with Unity and Eternal Warrior.

Harbinter has been my favorite so far with X-O a close second.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By jwalser3

@grandharrier: I'd assume. Because Harbinger Wars had Blooshot and Harbingers. And the next event shows Bloodshot, Shadowman, X-O Manowar, and Harbinger .

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By SavageDragon

At this point BLOOSHOT although this could change as it moves to a team book. Harbinger and XO both had great Volume 1 trades. I will be checking out Eternal Warrior for sure.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

This reminds of the Valiant crazy collector boom run in the 90's that was fueled Wizard Magazine. Valiant was cool..Valiant was awesome Valiant were producing the best books your not reading etc...

The BOOM...out of business

I see alot of similarities, minus the mylar bag mania or course

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Haven't read any.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rulerofthisuniverse: Change that now!!! :P

Starting to join the Valiant train....Already addicted to XO manowar and Shadowman!

Plus Valiant respect article: So much win!!!

frogjitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Unfortunately the fact that it's a shared universes hurts my chances of ever picking up these books. I would feel compelled to grab them all, and I'm not in a position to do that right now. Quantum & Woody and Harbinger sound interesting though. Maybe I'll take a look at those.

EvilPenguin543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This is the question I've been waiting for. If you're not reading anything from Valiant, rectify that immediatley. They're a great publisher who deserves your love.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

#15  Edited By Cavemold

XO Manowar for me!

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By reignmaker

XO Manowar

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#17  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

They are all amazing but Harbinger takes it

QuantomMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By QuantomMan

Harbinger is amazeballs. FTW

kama_094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kama_094

Personally I can't get enough Valiant. These guys are too sick, I just got on X-O Manowar and I'm loving it, can't wait for issue #16. I love Quantum and Woody, the mix of humor and action is well done, Archer & Armstrong is just over the top with excitement, Harbinger has had me drooling on myself for a while now (love Toyo Harada) and about to start Shadowman and Bloodshot. I'm seriously anticipating Eternal Warrior and Unity. The point is Valiant is crazy good, story art characters and everything. I'm a DC fan myself and I dig Indestructible Hulk from Marvel but Valiant just recently won me over. Yes I plan on following ALL their titles, just dunno how yet =l.

No Fanboyism... it's good stuff.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By IDontLikeBirds

How did I vote? I'll put it this way. I only have one series that I get mailed to me since my LCS doesn't carry most of the indie things and that is Quantum and Woody. Loved the original series, and looking forward to see what happens next with them.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CaptainHoopla

Just curious, but I just noticed that it's a different set of comments here than the actual poll thread. Is that the way all front page polls are? I assume it's actually a different forum thread.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By SoA

they are all good , if i ever drop marvel and DC i know where to turn to.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought my first Vailiant comic just last week: Quantum and Woody #1 on Comixology. Loved it. Are they any collections out there for Archer and Armstrong or Bloodshot? I've had my eye on those too.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Q and Woody!

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

so hard especially since harbinger has gone down in quality for me and i pretty much like all their books the same. shadowman, harbiner, and archer are all great series

Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

X-O Manowar is the only one I'm currently reading (in trade), but I might give Shadowman or Quantum and Woody a shot.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Can't pick just one really. I love Valiant in general! So glad the comics world has them back doing comics again. All titles are great and I'm happy with 'em all. I just wish I could pick a favorite, but I can't.

Timewalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-O Manowar with A&A coming in a close 2nd

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#29  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sasquatch888
    No Caption Provided

x-o manowar is my fave title on vailant A&A and harbinger are great too but i think harbinger is falling off ....has anybody played this game?

howler412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't read pre-2010's Valiant, but XO-Manowar has been astounding me, and I really want to read Bloodshot but can't find it in any stores :(

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

I haven't read pre-2010's Valiant, but XO-Manowar has been astounding me, and I really want to read Bloodshot but can't find it in any stores :(

Get trades through Amazon yo!

Uncle_Yusuf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Uncle_Yusuf

I'm seriously considering giving up DC for Valiant after Scott Snyder finishes his Batman run. I completely hate that there is going to be a Justice League Canada and that Nightwing (may) be killed off during Forever Evil. All of the Superman books suck (yes, even Batman/Superman) except for Superman Unchained. Aside from the Batman and Superman titles written by Scott Snyder, the only books I like are Nightwing, Justice League, the GL titles (except Larfleeze), and Aquaman. That's it. Valiant is the only company where I haven't been disappointed with any of their books so far.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.