Why is batman's utility belt is underrated?

#1 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

In the battle fourms section, you never see a somebody using his utility belt 
 Its so underestimated and people really don't think much of it. 

example: wolverine vs captain america with batman utility belt  

His belt has so many things such as:

• BatarangsShuriken or boomerang based throwing blades made to resemble the symbol of a bat. Some Alternate versions of his Batarangs explode, emit electrical blasts, and sometimes come with detonators.
  • Grappling Hook: Also known as the Bat-Claw. Batman can use this to grapple onto high locations or can grab hold of a criminal by directing it at him, he sometimes uses it to catch run-away street thugs that cannot put up a fight against him.
  • Sonar: Used in his mask to locate criminals.
  • Cuffs: Special cuffs that only few enemies and heroes can break out of. Batman can quickly lock a enemy to a pole or deliver him to the police.
  • Bolas: Batman swings these Bat-Bolas over his head to wrap up an enemy.
  • Smoke Grenades and Pellets: Batman can throw these grenades in order to use a stealth technique, distract an enemy, escape a situation, or plan his next course of action.
  • Sonic Grenades: These disrupt electronics and disorient enemy hearing. 
  • Flash Grenades: This gadget is used to temporarily blind enemies.
  • Mini-Mines: Mines that can fit in any small area or used as low-grade explosives during combat.
  • Thermite Explosives: Capable of burning through most materials.
  • Plastique: Small exploding devices that have a timer or detonator switch to activate. 
  • Tasers: Batman carries this to shock or neutralize an enemy.. This Weapon was more than often used in the Golden Age / Movies.
  • Brass Knuckles: Used to engage an enemy with more force behind his blows. 
  • First Aid Kit: Used to aid in treating wounds. 
#2 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2221 posts) - - Show Bio

His belt isn't underrated, it's just nothing special like Cap's shield or Mjolnir.

#3 Posted by spaceboy (201 posts) - - Show Bio
@moywar700 said:
In the battle fourms section, you never see a somebody using his utility belt 
 I'll be making a Batman vs.Sharks thread soon.
#4 Posted by entropy_aegis (15316 posts) - - Show Bio
@ThanosIsMad said:
His belt isn't underrated, it's just nothing special like Cap's shield or Mjolnir.
C'mon Mjlonir? really.I bet it's more useful than Cap's shield though,much more options.
#5 Posted by Billy Batson (58023 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not... 

BB

#6 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (889 posts) - - Show Bio

No way is it underrated, he practically has everything anyone would ever need in there and then some.

#7 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

Does he still carry shark repellent bat spray in there?

#8 Posted by Ancient_0f_Days (12176 posts) - - Show Bio

In all of the fights I've seen so far such as; batman vs wolverine, batman vs spider-man, batman vs captain america, batman vs saber-tooth and most street level meta humans in general, he loses because no one even mentions the belt or they just wank. Many fights are obvious he'd lose with/without the belt, but to completely undermine his skills with his gadgets (if they are even mentioned in a fight), reaction time, and detective vision....I mean come on, really? Not to mention the fact that the "worlds greatest detective" and skilled master of shadows can just hide and watch his opponents for the most part and study their movements, record them, send to the bat computer, get instant feed-back and own them with their most exploitable physical, biological and in some cases mechanical weak points.

But no, no one wants to even insinuate that he can use his standard equipment in these fights, personally if he did, it would be easy. I can even lay down some options and scenarios (mobility and evasion is an option for most of them except people like spider-man, but he's usually got the any and all gadgets he can use after studying his movements for a while and making an accurate conclusion of how to incapacitate such an enemy, same with symbiote types). For wolverine, saber-tooth, and captain America he uses the bat-cable to get around their melee attacks with speed and depending on the environment he could easily hide himself and his scent and begin to study by moving around silently and throwing various types of bat-a-rangs to test their reaction time, sensory functions, durability, and the like to send to the bat-computer, get feed back, and act accordingly.

It's not too hard to imagine, they usually portray him losing the first time so that they can build up the story and influence of the villain, or the writer doesn't portray him to the best of his ability which is detrimental to his health and survival in and through any fight (PIS, CIS,). I'm not saying every encounter with a hero or villain that he loses the first time is PIS/CIS, just that he like most other heroes aren't always written consistently as far as legit peak feats go. Anyway, since opponents in these fights are usually presented in best basic ability, usually he is portrayed as hanging back until the right time, gathering info until he has all he needs, all the while evading the opponent to the best of his ability. At the moment, I cannot find adequate scans to prove what we already know is true (that this is how batman usually operates), and since we know this is true, why do posters on the forums all ways act like EVERY fight is directly head to head, fist to fist, power vs power (powerless in Bruce's case)? I usually compare physical stats such as strength (overall and potency), speed (reaction, agility etc...), durability (endurance, longevity etc...), Skill (h2h, weaponry, etc...), and intelligence (rocket science, cunning etc...). Then I compare power sets, luckily for batman, he has no powers (unless you consider gadgets in the same category as powers), so that saves me half the trouble. Then I do weaknesses and vulnerabilities.

Using that sequence, i can evaluate what both combatants can do to win based on their physical attributes first (speed and reaction time being a deal breaker in most super powered cases), powers second (molecular manipulation, reconstruction, displacement, deconstruction etc... being a deal breaker also), with weaknesses based on the powers and physicalities reviewed earlier. As far as some one like wolverine goes, he is physically greater than Bruce, but his powers of enhanced scent and hearing may also lead to a very exploitable weaknesses. Gas bombs with chemicals and fumes if inhaled can prove useful in batman's hands (he'd probably have to test it a few times considering Logan's tolerance to such toxins, and apply a more potent dosage or just more of the same). Sonic grenades would/could also prove useful as a proper way to incapacitate Logan without getting into a physical altercation with him (depending on the environment, Logan wouldn't be able to touch Bruce due to the bat-cable/bat-grapple and superior stealth as well as undetectability utilizing his scentless armor or gadgets that hide scent or capitalize on Logan's enhanced scent and fill the area with a specific scent that can throw Logan off, all standard equipment. Lets not even get into stealth, I think that Bruce's time with the League of Assassins is proof enough).

So in all actuality, outside of a straight up fight Logan loses most of the time even in a random encounter, due to the fact that he cannot reach his opponent and outside of that, cannot K.O. him, but Logan can be knocked out, by concentrated scented gasses, electromagnetic devices, sonic grenades, grenades with extreme concussive force, all standard for batman to carry around in the belt. That was just an example of one meta-human, one able to put down many others (not trying to power scale, lol power scaling for a guy without powers), that can be decisively apprehended and incapacitated (depending on the setting, not saying it wouldn't be a long, possibly bloody, drawn out fight.....but if using this formula, it would be about 7/10 in Bruce's favor, 3 for Logan if the Bat decides to do head to head early in the fight, same with any meta-human in most cases) by proper use of detective work and accurate application of gadgets. This is why the utility belt shouldn't be so underrated, if accurately portrayed and in the right hands, the contents therein may be the undoing of almost any adversary, especially meta-humans.

Well that's my two cents, If anyone who reads the entirety of this post would like, I can explain several scenarios for certain heroes/villains that if put up against Batman can be beaten or given a good fight (or he'll just lose entirely) with only the use of the contents of the utility belt and his ingenuity when using the rest of his skills in tune with them in different battle conditions. So yeah, Bat-God FTW!!!!!! (And although i am a fan of the character I will try not to wank or reach to find loopholes for him to win, I am no troll and I am somewhat familiar with ComicVine rules so although I am new, expect great things)!!!!

#9 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

It sure as hell wasn't underrated during Super Friends, lol.

Take Batman's belt = Becomes useless

#10 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

wasn't batman known for pulling out something extremely convenient in his belt. he is known to be prepared in ridiculousness amounts. He does carry bat dog biscuits and catnip. utility belt underrated, yeah right

#11 Posted by Ancient_0f_Days (12176 posts) - - Show Bio

Exactly, but in a fight no one is even going to include the contents of the belt in relation to what he can do to the opponent with it, and Gambit, besides someone like magneto, superman, flash, deathstroke, people who are capable of deactivating it's fail-safe devices, how is anyone gonna take the belt off. You do know he got gadgets all over the suit right, he may be limited (very limited) but not at all useless. Read up gents.

#12 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9057 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Batman's utility belt has gotten Batman out of some tough situations in the past

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.