aztek_the_lost's Unknown Soldier #24 - Beautiful World, Chapter Three review

If I Could Give a Sixth Star...

...it would definitely be going to this issue...I'll admit I have not yet read all my comics but I know already this is my pick of the week.

I just have to catch my breath for a minute here, I mean (expletive deleted), everything we've known up until this point has been a lie, and not one of those cheap ones either, one that actually makes the entire story make sense. Really this issue is NOT a jump-on point, seeing as its the penultimate issue that should have been obvious but also this issue goes to prove that it's this series as a whole that is brilliant...truly this issue was awe-inspiringly amazing...it explained the ties to the original DC character AND it explained the origins of our Unknown Soldier as they should be explained.

I urge everyone with any interest in the best of what comics have to offer to seek out the trades or back-issues of this series, it simply demands to be read.

Other then that, I remain in my same position of having the utmost respect for Joshua Dysart in doing what many more prominent writers often cannot when their series doesn't perform...end it properly. And I have to continue giving a big finger to the folks who chose to make their company about financial earnings rather then continuing a legacy of great books that proved comics can be so much more then the world makes them out to be.

You may not know your name Unknown Soldier, but after this journey for the past two years, I feel like I know you, I'm sad we must bid farewell but I know you'll make it the best of goodbyes next month...

Posted by Silkcuts

I still can't believe the end is so close.

@Silkcuts said:
" I still can't believe the end is so close. "
I know...but I'm so glad this comic won't fall into the unnatural and unresolved ending that so many other cancelled titles do...some of my least favorite parts of great Vertigo comics is their ending...Codename: Knockout, American Virgin, The Un-Men, etc.
Posted by B'Town

This sounds great, I will look into picking up the trades.

@B'Town said:
" This sounds great, I will look into picking up the trades.    It excites me just hearing someone else get so worked up about a story.  Thanks for the review! "
I have no trouble getting enthusiastic about a very well-researched story, the way Joshua mixes in the political issues of Africa with simple cultural things is great and following the journey of "redemption" for the Unknown Soldier has been quite enjoyable...now that this issue has shaken things up I can't even imagine how it'll end next month but given the caliber of the rest of the series, I expect nothing less than perfect

the fact that they even sought out a fill-in artist from the world/culture seen in the book was just proof to me they were dedicated to the story they are telling...

only complaint is how slow the trades are coming out, I mean they only have #1-14 collected so far, #15-20 come out in November, I expect the final trade will be in spring sometime but I think the third trade should be out already (maybe that's just me)
Posted by B'Town
@aztek the lost:
The good thing about the slow trades is I won't feel like I am so far behind.  :}

I will be picking up the first soon.  Thanks again.
Posted by aztek_the_lost
@B'Town: your welcome, hope you enjoy it as much as I do