Follow

Uncle Scrooge

Character » Uncle Scrooge appears in 12347 issues.

Uncle Scrooge is one of the richest and stingiest ducks in the world. He is also uncle to Donald and Della Duck, Gladstone Gander, Gus Goose, and Fethry Duck.

Uncle Scrooge #384 Reviewed. Yes, I Said Uncle Scrooge

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

I believe most of you know that I am a father.  There's no way my daughter could not share my love of comics.  You simply cannot escape the comics in my household.  That being said, we have quite the range of comics on the market these days.  There are clearly some comics that she knows are off limits (there was a time she almost picked up an issue of Mark Millar's Kick-Ass).  While I'm not planning on turning into the "Daddy Reviewer," I do like to check out and share with you guys some of these comics that might not necessarily be geared towards you.  Although after filming my review, I discovered there's a whole group of 'older' readers that have read this issue.  More on that after the review:

As you can see, I really enjoyed the comic.  Sometimes after I do a review, I get curious to see what others felt about the issue.  I make a point to avoid reading others' thought until after I've committed myself to my rating.  While I enjoyed the comic and stated that anyone that loves these characters will too, it turns out that may not necessarily be the case.  I came across a forum board where people take their Uncle Scrooge/Disney comics very seriously.  They apparently had some issues with this presentation.

For me, it's a great way to get my daughter reading about these Disney characters.  I mentioned that I have picked up a few issues in the past.  Maybe because I'm not necessarily a hardcore Scrooge McDuck fan, I'm not as critical over this as others out there.  It was a fun comic.  The story felt like a well written adventure for the gang based on what I remember from watching Duck Tales in my youth.  As I type this, my daughter is actually reading the comic.  She's about half way through and she said she likes it.  She dropped everything she was doing when I showed her the comic.  Perhaps that is who Boom! Kids is gearing this comic towards.  I have no problem picking up a $2.99 comic for her versus a $7.99 comic, even if the later has more content.  I think this is just right.

For a kids' comic, I think Boom! succeeded in what they set out to do.  I will be picking up the next issue and my daughter will be thrilled to read it.  To me, that is what really matters.
    TheOmegaMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheOmegaMan

I really like what Boom is doing with their kids comics. I have the Toy story ones, Cars in trade, and just got the Mickey and friends issue that came out recently.  I will probably skip this one only because I don't care that much for Uncle Scrooge. My son really likes the Marvel Super Hero Squad as well.  So the more kids options the better if you ask me!
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Media_Master

I really like the classic Disney art in the comic!

ryanwh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ryanwh

You gotta work on that scottish duck accent, g-man.

Devilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Devilly

Wow $7.99 for a Uncle Scrooge comic? here in Holland the prize doesn't get higher then €2.00 for most Disney comics (more like magazines in most cases)

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5  Edited By FoxxFireArt

That price is outlandish!! How dis they justify that $7.99 price tag? Nice to know they made a slightly friendlier price with this new publisher.

I grew up watching Ducktales. I'm very well aware of the Number-One Dime and it's importance. That sucker was at the core of many an episode. I loved that Ducktales video game.

Do the comics have Gizmoduck??  "Blathering Blatherskite!"

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#6  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @ryanwh: Yeah, I need to work on that.  It was an impromptu thing and obviously didn't go too well.

@Devilly:
    @FoxxFireArt:
    In defense of the $7.99 comics, they did have (I think) like over 60 pages of ad-free material.  You could justify the cost based on the amount of content.  It was just a little too much, in my opinion, to put down at one time.  These comics will have less pages but since the price is smaller, it's easier to pick one or two up a week.  Maybe it's just a psychological thing?
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @G-Man: 
    The sixty page mass does put things in a bit more perspective. That makes it sound closer to a magazine then a comics. It makes sense to want a smaller price tag. Even if it's a psychological incentive. When your target audience is younger readers. A more 'kid friendly' price helps your bottom line, I would think.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.