gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

The reading of Charles Xavier's last will and testament continues. After his revelation about Mystique, we were left wondering what more surprises Xavier might have for his X-Men. The answer isn't quite what we'd expect. Charles Xavier has devoted most of his life for the sake of mutantkind. As we hear the recording in Xavier's will, we get some flashbacks that shed light upon his secret.

What Brian Michael Bendis does is give us a more moral and ethical dilemma to think about. Sure his connection with Mystique is something shocking and needs to be explored further but we get to see the struggle he's had with a decision he made years ago. At first I was a little unsure about this direction. As the story progressed and the more I thought about it, the more fascinated I became. It is a bit of a shock. We get to see the reaction from some of the X-Men. But it's also something that should really be thought about or discussed elsewhere (not necessarily in a review). This is going to add another level of tension amongst the X-Men.

Chris Bachalo's art is fantastic, as usual. We get some impressive visuals and layouts as we witness the powerful displays of a new mutant. Bachalo always nails it when it comes to characters' expressions. There's a lot of emotions going on in the flashback and for those hearing Xavier's words. Bachalo also does the colors which further enhances it all. After reading, I had to go back through and just look at all the pages again.

The Bad

It's an interesting twist on a shocking revelation. It's also one of those things that has been created and inserted into past history. When did Xavier go off to take care of the duty he took on? How often did he have to do this since there's been other moments he's been off planet (during SECRET WARS then soon after when Lilandra whisked him away to the Shi'ar Empire to tend to his health in UNCANNY X-MEN #200, etc).

This is the third issue dealing with his will and the story's not over yet. There's still more to be explored. It is interesting but hopefully She-Hulk isn't being billed by the hour as their lawyer.

The Verdict

As an indirect tie to ORIGINAL SIN, we're discovering some secrets from Charles Xavier's last will and testament. While there was a bit of a shocker, what Brian Michael Bendis focuses on here is an intriguing moral dilemma. What Xavier reveals is going to open some debate among the X-Men, if it's not already too late to do anything about it. Chris Bachalo does a superb job on the art and colors. There's a lot of emotion going on and we get some amazing two-page layouts showing a new mutant's in action. The reading of Xavier's will may have been going on for several issues now but this was a nice and surprising twist. You never know what Bendis is going to throw at us (or the X-Men) next.

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Meh. MEHHH. MEHHHHHHHHHHH!

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"It is interesting but hopefully She-Hulk isn't being billed by the hour as their lawyer."

One of your better quips, Mr. Guerrero.

Avatar image for xescapetheliesx
    XescapetheliesX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why did this have to be a 4.99 book?

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By DrellAssassin
    Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why did this have to be a 4.99 book?

This is $4.99!? That's absolutely ridiculous.

Vulshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm losing my patience. It might pay off in the end but right now I feel like this could have been shorter.

mattydeNero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is one of the better suedo tie-in stories coming out of OS. I have enjoyed what Bendis has given us month after month with this book. The volume as a whole has been spectacular.

PiggyV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know I should be over the way they forced the rift between Scott and the rest but it's moments like Iceman acknowledging Scott not being in control but still being a dick about it that really dredge it up. And Storm too. Recently she welcomed Bishop back with open arms despite the fact he killed Xavier once, whilst obsessively trying to murder a baby. I hate the fact that I hate characters I once loved in Beast, Storm, Wolverine and now Iceman.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By lagozzino

@piggyv01: Yeah, at this point I think the "schism" exists as more of an editorial mandate than anything the writers actually believe in and want to portray convincingly. I'm down with having the split between the two schools, since I think it leads to some interesting stories, but having a Phoenix-possessed Scott be at the center of the split wasn't the smartest move.

Pretty much every major X-character has been possessed, mindcontrolled, or just generally manipulated by outside influences into committing terrible acts. Having them all still treat Scott like some horrible monster for what he did while possessed just rings hollow.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#10  Edited By Teerack

Will Storm ever grow up and act like an adult? She acts like a 13 year old unable to do anything but react to her feelings.

dcfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This book and All New X-Men have fallen to the bottom of the pile for me. This last Will and Testament of Xavier has dragged on for too long. And having the existence of some new uber mutant be the outcome just feels horribly retconned. And I think like everyone else, I'm tired of the X-Men whining about Scott murdering Xavier at every turn.

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
    RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dcfox said:

This book and All New X-Men have fallen to the bottom of the pile for me. This last Will and Testament of Xavier has dragged on for too long. And having the existence of some new uber mutant be the outcome just feels horribly retconned. And I think like everyone else, I'm tired of the X-Men whining about Scott murdering Xavier at every turn.

Completely agree with everything you stated. My biggest problem with both of Bendis' X-Men books has been the pacing. It just feels like it takes forever for things to get resolved. Plus, this revolution Scott has supposedly started took about 20 issues to actually gain any momentum (by fighting S.H.I.E.L.D.). If the book doesn't change I'm afraid I'll have to drop it, which would suck because then I'd have no X-Titles on my pull list outside of X-Force (which is amazing and everyone should be reading it).

And I know I said this for the last issue but I'm saying it again; Xavier's will was already dealt with, albeit briefly, in Hickman's New Avengers. It's how Beast gets his paws on the Mind Gem. So I'm not sure how Bendis can have this story when one facet of it has already been used and dealt with much, much earlier.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Anyone mind throwing me a spoiler with a spoiler tag on it? I'm not reading Uncanny X-Men and can't afford any comics this week any way.

SummersBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sooooooo, just to be clear on Xavier's definition of 'too powerful':

Legion - totz fine

Scarlet Witch - no problem here

Franklin Richards - what a cutey!

Jean Grey - pedo-bear hugz

Mathew Malloy - uh oh, those lighting dinos look pretty bad; better do a total mind-wipe and psychic block!

WHAT!?!

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What are the big secrets ?

Avatar image for liukangbakesapie
    LiuKangBakesAPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wardishy said:

Anyone mind throwing me a spoiler with a spoiler tag on it? I'm not reading Uncanny X-Men and can't afford any comics this week any way.

This ^^^

lmothander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@summersblood said:

Sooooooo, just to be clear on Xavier's definition of 'too powerful':

Legion - totz fine

Scarlet Witch - no problem here

Franklin Richards - what a cutey!

Jean Grey - pedo-bear hugz

Mathew Malloy - uh oh, those lighting dinos look pretty bad; better do a total mind-wipe and psychic block!

WHAT!?!

THIS! There should be a mandate at Marvel that if you work on a title, you have to read every previous issue. There are so many contradictions in so many books. The writers just have no clue the rich and deep history of some of the characters/series. Yeah it would take a while but it would help preserve the dignity of past stories and writers and actually HELP with sales because we'd all be more likely to pick up well thought out and well written issues. Either it has all been done before (death of wolverine) or past stories contradict what is happening (Prof-X neutering a new mutant).

Are the writers even fans? I'm not a writer and have only been a fan for a few years as a kid and the past couple years as an adult but I can easily see how it is all wrong....

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lmothander: Errr, are you really trying to take the position that you know more than the editors and writers? That's such a condescending attitude. :P Pretty sure everyone on staff is completely aware of the other powerful mutants that the Professor had dealt with.
    Its just a fact of the medium that stories will end up repeating themselves. A lot of these characters have been around for 50-75 years, and if you stop to make sure you don't repeat/contradict every single story, well then you're really gonna be left with no stories to tell.

If you don't want a reboot, and you don't want all the established characters to be replaced by a new cast, then what's left is for the creative team to get a little selective with the continuity.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I just want this to finish and get into Axis. I'm going to be sad if this book's pace is so slow it has an issue where you have no idea whats happening without reading other things since they ran out of time to lead their own book into the event.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 owie  Moderator

eh. I thought the big reveal was kind of obvious, why else have the guy randomly show up in the last couple issues and get highlighted in the first-page summary each time. I didn't think he was so much more powerful than other mutants, and Xavier's handling of the situation didn't seem all that crazy either. I mean the kid eventually realized what was happening and agreed with it. And Xavier has played with mind control before. Nothing so crazy here that all the X-men have to get so excited about it. It would be interesting to see if this guy, who pulls energy in from other dimensions, gets connected with the new girl in All-New, who is also supposedly very powerful, and opens portals to other dimensions. Maybe that will be the way they deal with his energy.

andreww154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

28 pages of stunning Chris Bachalo art plus one of Bendis' best scripts of his X-Men run. 5 out of 5 for me!

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By redwingx

Marvel wants the X-Men to lose popularity so Inhuman can replace it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5baf755c5bf81
    deactivated-5baf755c5bf81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want more other secret why Xavier married Mystic.

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

When a better artist comes to this book. Ill gladly jump on board until then,I'll pass. It's a shame too, because the story's that are going on this series sounds fantastic.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

I find the level of polarization this book generates somewhat amusing. Some people love the art and hate the writing, while some love the writing and hate the art. Plenty of mixed opinions, of course.

Personally I'm actually liking this book quite a bit (and looking forward to the annual in a couple months).

somacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert:

I'm also expecting tempus annual with green arrow artist, even bendis commented it might become two annuals

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx said:

Marvel wants the X-Men to lose popularity so Inhuman can replace it.

Of course! And to accomplish that they put their most popular writer and one of their most popular artists on the the X-franchise's flagship book, and finally gave the fans a storyline where the two sides of the "schism" are reunited!
    An acclaimed creative team, and a storyline that has people talking... its a formula that will lead to the series' destruction! Meanwhile in Inhuman, they haven't been able to keep to a regular release schedule, and they're losing Joe Mad after the first arc is done! Truly, this is the franchise that Marvel favors above all others.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Best thing about it: Bobby getting optic-blasted! He had it coming...

kai200995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kai200995

Why is everyone mad at Iceman's remark. He was right if you understand what he was saying. Let's just imagine one of your siblings killed your mother because he/she had some crazed episode. Will that sibling being medicated take away what happened? Hell No! Families are naturally complex, so if one of of your siblings killed one of your parents your going to resent them and be angry on some level!

The X-men literally spent their childhoods and adulthoods together, that creates a familial bond with roles. Cyclops was the first X-man, "big brother", and he killed father. Of coarse we're going to be fine with him being possessed as an excuse b/c we're not emotionally invested in that whatsoever. So my point is if you guys experienced the scenario I gave, then you will be acting exactly like how the X-men are behaving.

UltronMk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, it would bother me if the rest of the xmen had forgiven Scott. He killed Xavier. Under the influence of the Phoenix, but how much of Scott was still present no one (I.e. The other xmen) truly knows. That break between the 2 sides, and how it has changed the xmen (especially Scott) is what makes Xavier's death matter. If a character as important as Charles dies, it should have a long standing impact. Surprised that some are upset everything isn't forgiven.

While the art is decent on this book, it's much closer to ok than "fantastic" IMO. I would love to see a different artist on this book. Doesn't make me want to drop the book, but the art doesn't do it for me.

GreenKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While the art is decent on this book, it's much closer to ok than "fantastic" IMO. I would love to see a different artist on this book. Doesn't make me want to drop the book, but the art doesn't do it for me.

Totally agree on the art (and the colors), looks muddy in a lot of places, pondering dropping it actually as it hasn't been all that much fun to read for me either....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.