tyrannotaur's Uncanny X-Force #4 - Street Fighting Man review

Uncanny X-force #4 Review

The Cover- This book offers a normal cover and a variant. The normal cover is done by Kris Anka. It offers a very dynamic shot of Fantomex and his brain twin/lover Cluster. It is a really eye grabbing cover and very well done. It is sure to bring new readers in, especially fans of Rick Remender's Uncanny X-force series (who are probably already reading this). The Variant is an odd picture of Storm and Puck randomly falling out of the sky. It is a very odd cover, but would probably appeal to fans of either character. For me the original cover works much better.

The Comic- Sam Humphries continues to tell a very engaging story. We continue right where the last issue left off with Psylocke battling a mysterious foe inside the mind of Bishop. Spiral continues to flee in order to protect the young Ginny from a crazed Bishop. Meanwhile Fantomex and Cluster are tracking the action while also attempting to elude the mysterious Dark Fantomex. This comic is nothing but nonstop action. That's not to say that the action is too much or that its nothing but action. It has some nice breaks in the action to add some mystery over who the foe plaguing Bishop's mind is or who exactly Cluster and Dark Fantomex are. Puck also makes a great comedic relief character. There is a great scene involving Wolverine that I laughed out loud to. All in all this is a great book which actually redeemed Spiral for me. Her rivalry with Psylocke is a great dynamic and I'm sure we will see much more of it. At it's core this is a Psylocke book, anyone who is a fan of her should read it.

The Art- Simply wonderful. Ron Garney and his team do a great job here. The different art style used for reality and then in the astral plain is a great touch and really helps to enhance the experience of reading the issue. I still also love the redesigns for each character. Awesome art.

Final Verdict- With a great cover, an action packed and interesting story, and really amazing detailed art Uncanny X-force is one of the best books on the market right now. If you are a Psylocke fan or a fan of the Uncanny X-force story by Remender I say pick this and the previous issues up immediately. If the book interests you, it's not too far into its run to play catch up with. Great book. 5 out of 5.