No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By No_Name_

The Good

This issue, like so many before it, is tragic -- and if you've grown to love this team then you will not be pleased. There have been many times when I've picked up an issue of UNCANNY X-FORCE and thought to myself, 'well, it can't get any worse than this.' Boy, was I wrong. As far as tragic issues, this has to be one of the saddest, most painful to read; and it will surely leave you scratching your head and wondering how the heck these characters will get out of this mess in one piece.

The issue opens with Daken, Wolverine's son; reflecting on the fact that all he's ever wanted to do was gain his father's respect. By the third page, the story shifts to Wolverine whose thoughts dwell on Daken as this travesty that he's cursed the world with by bringing him into it. It's sort of a shocking way for a father to view his child, and this brief moment really serves to put both character's respective wants into perspective for the reader. They truly are on opposite sides of the spectrum. It's an interesting parallel considering the character has been constantly at odds with his father, while his father has demonstrated a tremendous lack of interest in his son's well being. However, as interesting as these two characters are depicted in this issue, the star of the show isn't either of them; it's Deadpool. When we last saw Deadpool, the character had come face to face with Evan, who is being held captive by the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. Given the chance to shoot and kill Evan (again), Deadpool makes a decision that is somewhat unconventional for his character. There is a great moment where he mentions that Fantomex is not the only character to have evolved during this series with a line that is completely self-aware. It was really refreshing and really great.

Phil Noto's art is absolutely stunning in this issue. Noto's work is really gorgeous anyway, but here I felt it to be more-so. There is this incredible fluidity and finesse in the movement of the characters -- particularly the panels where Deadpool fights the Blob and Daken. Noto did an exceptional job in the depiction of emotion, too. From Deadpool being poisoned, to the fear on Evan's face -- this issue is simply stunning.

The Bad

Nothing bad here. This is one of my favorite issues in this series so far.

The Verdict

This comic is really beautiful. From the way the story unfolds (tragically), to the incredible art of Phil Noto; there is nothing about this comic that I did not enjoy. Additionally, the way the reader is left off, not knowing what to expect next is great. The comic ends on a cliff-hanger and the reader is still left in the dark over whether or not Evan will turn to the "dark side." Great, organized issue coupled with really stunning art, perfect character characterization and a great display of character development. What more could you ask for?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.