the_mighty_monarch's Uncanny X-Force #3 - Sweet Virginia review

In the Dark

I'm not that fond of the design for the cover, a little generic, but the art style is undeniably great, and the coloring is amazing. The lighting is expressed in unique color shades that create a gorgeous effect.

The interior art is also really nice. Ron Garney's artwork is definitely excellent, with powerful facial expressions and dynamic fight scenes. I was especially impressed by the dark cramped battle with Bishop in the subway tunnel. The darkness created an amazing sense of disorientation that worked in the sense of feeling the same uncertainty as the characters. And when the subway goes by and they all have to leap into the slim space to avoid getting hit... it's a moment of odd serenity with beautiful coloring. There's also a beautiful scene illustrated by Adrian Alphona that actually improves the flow instead of interrupting it.

The last issue was a little cluttered in terms of the various plotlines, but this issue smooths things out quite a bit. Honestly, the only plotline that hasn't come together is the Phantomex/Cluster journey to reunite with Psylocke, and that's on it's way.

The cast is all really gelling with each other, their personalities bouncing off each other, and their abilities well rounded in variety as a group. Puck's even started to amuse me, and at this point I don't think there's any member I don't like.

In Conclusion: 4.5/5

Remender's Uncanny X-Force was a masterpiece that's hard to live up to, but Humphries' is doing a damn good job by NOT trying to be like Rememnder, but doing his own thing leaping off of what Rememnder did. The characters, artwork, and flow are all excellent; but the story could use a bit of clarity.